ADVERTISEMENT

WNBA: Why are the goals the same height as the NBA?

TexasJiggerNaut

I wanna see that country, before the mods git it
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2011
Hays County, TX
Being the open minded and fair chance person I am, I decided to give the WNBA another try, just to see what all the Caitlin Clark buzz was all about, and if the game has changed any since the last time I watched a full game (about six years ago I guess).

Watching the game still sucks, imo. And I think it's just because it's like 99% a "below the rim game". Sort of like how the NBA looked and was played until Wilt came along in the 60's.

Which raises the question.....why the heck doesn't the WNBA lower the rim to 9'? Or 9.5'?

They already use a smaller ball (by about 10%). To accomodate avg smaller hands.

Why not the same reduction in the goal, by the same 10%? For avg shorter legs?

And....

It's not like other sports don't modify the apparatuses between the men and women's competitions.

Women volleyballers play on shorter nets. By around 7" or 10% lower.

Women's gymnastics swing from top bar that is shorter than men's bar. By 28 cm or also 10% lower.

Women's golfers tee off on golf holes usually around 50-100 yards closer to the greens than the men's tees, depending upon the length of whole overall.

So, why the WNBA so obstinate on this point?

Sort of curious as to if anyone out there actually knows why?
Or knows if they made statements on this, when the league got started? Or since, defending it?

Discuss.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News