ADVERTISEMENT

2015 Texas Football Orange-White Scrimmage Thread

Agreed. Heard has the ability to scramble and create plays with his feet.

As for the rest of the team, I just hope all those injured guys get well soon.

"As for the rest of the team, I just hope all those injured guys get well soon."

That's why these spring games are kind of worthless. Guys like Marcus Johnson and Duke Thomas could have played if it was a real game. Heck, even a guy like Gray was used very cautiously to prevent any type of injury. It's not really even a "game". I don't have a problem with Strong being cautious with players either....no need to push players like Johnson, Thomas and Gray in a meaningless game.

Swoopes may hit a big play here and there, but Heard is going to move the chains. Heard is getting better at a much faster pace, than Swoopes could ever dream of. I still don't have much faith in Swoopes, his numbers came against the second team defense.

I thought Swoopes had improved but a player that really has to work on his game.Heard has natural play making ability as a QB but needs more work on his passing game to be really effective.Texas fans has not seen a Heard type ability at QB in years.
This post was edited on 4/18 3:46 PM by Cotton #12

Agreed---- and in all reality, that was a defense made up of many 3rd team guys. The 2nd team guy were largely playing for first team D due to so many injuries. So Swoopes was playing against guys with very little or no playing time at all. The play where I pooped in my buster browns was at 7:12 in the first quarter. 4 man rush against swoopes and 3 guys get by the O line---- no it wasn't a screen pass----- and one of our D lineman almost took Swoopes head off. Had that been an OU DE or ND DT, Swoopes wouldn't be with us any more. They literally could have taken his head off.

I'm going to bite my tongue regarding anything else negative I saw during the scrimmage. I have yet to watch it on TV to see instant replays etc--- I am doing that this evening. I did like Heard's athletic ability and his scrambling ability. Malik's hustle impressed me. He made 100 mistake today, but made them going 1000 mph. It's easy to make up for mistakes with effort and that kid has effort in spades. I expect good things out of him in his career and once he learns to control all that aggression and harness it in useful ways, the dude will be scary good. He just has to stay in control a little more. As far as hustle though---- I want 21 more of him.

Overall I'm very pleased with the spring game! Still got a lot of work to do, but I thought Tyrone looked like a totally different QB back there and Heard looks so natural running and moving around the pocket. Malik balled out!

The BS the team is spreading about Swoopes being greatly improved is obviously what needs to happen to give him confidence to play the position. Of course, game time against almost any team will nullify everything that is not real.

At this point, the QB competition is a moot issue. Charlie won't start a redshirt freshman against ND. I think he's making a mistake that he will have to fix by the 2nd half of that game.

Regardless of what we are wanting to see, Swoopes was only slightly better than the end of last year...playing against the 2nd D.

Spring games are hard to get any conclusions from. The defense knows the plays and you can see how they jump on some routes because they have seen it all spring. I'm happy that neither QB looked terrible. I wish we could have seen Heard behind the first team line because it seemed Swoops had more time to throw. I'm sure that was designed by the coaches though because they blitzed Heard a lot. I like how he handled it most of the time. I think Heard will continue to improve through the summer and fall. If the goal of spring practice was to improve and set a foundation for the fall then I think it was a success. Obviously still work to do though.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

bulldozer do you ever post on 'sooner' sites -- ever?

This post was edited on 4/18 6:49 PM by Bass Elder

TCU / Baylor / Texas should finish 1-2-3 in some order next fall.....Okie St, WV, K-ST should fight for 4th thru 6th, and OU, TT, ISU, KU deep in the lower half of the league.......

Originally posted by gardnsheels:

TCU / Baylor / Texas should finish 1-2-3 in some order next fall.....Okie St, WV, K-ST should fight for 4th thru 6th, and OU, TT, ISU, KU deep in the lower half of the league.......
I'll take that bet! My wager still stands. If Texas finishes above 7-6 I'll take a pic wearing a Longhorn jersey and post it here. Safest wager ever.

This offense needs Tight Ends, even more so due to the growing pains of our young qb's. David Thomas & Bo Scaiffe bailed out Vince more times then he probably wanted to count.

Originally posted by gardnsheels:

Fairly unconventional trolling, Sooner.
cool.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Bass Elder:
bulldozer do you ever post on 'sooner' sites -- ever?

This post was edited on 4/18 6:49 PM by Bass Elder
I have maybe a handful of posts on Soonerscoop. Damn, what on earth did you have to edit?

I've just watched the game film. We sorely need those injured players to return. I had no idea we were missing almost a dozen guys.

The only units not missing started due to injury was the oline a qbs. I think we would all agree those were our two worst performing positions last year. Swoopes looks a tiny bit better, Heard had some flashes he showed. But the oline, long way to go.

Sounds like Heard may be brought in for situational plays/change of pace maybe?

Missed the game, but sure wish we had been able to land Gentry last year to give another option at QB. Heard better be starting by conference play. From what I'm reading, just doesn't sound like Swoopes has the mental edge and footwork need to play at this level.

Besides one int that got called back he didn't have many bad plays. If the receivers wouldn't have dropped a couple balls everyone would be more impressed. Also, I don't think we saw much of the playbook. Lots of screens and check down passes from the offenses. The defense seemed to be anticipating most of the plays.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Yes, of course the D had a slight edge. They've been defending these plays for over 2 weeks now. But Swoopes was playing against mostly 2nd and 3rd team guys. Heard was playing against 1st and 2nd team guys.

Anyone know what Swoopes final stats were? I think he was 13-24 for 112 yards in the first half. If you're gonna go up tempo with quick passes then you have to get that completion % well into the 60%+ area.

He was somewhere in that hood. Heard threw for 170ish I think with a better comp %. I'm going to watch the game again in the morning with fresh eyes. I'm a little too zapped to watch again tonight.

Heard definitely had a much better game. 20/29, 177 yards I believe it was. Roughly 69% in his first major scrimmage, going against better defenders, while playing with 2s and 3s himself. IMO there's no doubt who the better QB is.

'170ish I think with a better comp %."

There were about 3 to 5 drops by the WRs from Swoopes, so hard to really take the completion percentage seriously.

The problem with Heard right now is he's a redshirt freshman and it showed yesterday. Tons of upside but a pretty big gap IMO between Heard and Swoopes when it comes to decision making/passing ability right now. Heard was running a much more simplified playbook yesterday. Heard wasn't forced to make the same type of throws as Swoopes, probably because Heard simply isn't there yet. No denying Heard is the better option when it comes to running the zone read. I'm sure we will actually see plenty of packages that utilize Heard and his legs. But right now when it comes to the passing game and decision making there's no doubt Swoopes is the better option. Who knows, maybe if we open up the playbook Heard will be successful. If what we saw yesterday is what Heard is limited too right now in terms of passing ability/schemes it simply won't work. Maybe Watson was being simplistic since it was really Heard's first game action in a kind of real college football setting. We will see what happens over the next 5 months. I don't think people realize how much Watson simplified the game plan yesterday for Heard in comparison with what Swoopes was running.

This post was edited on 4/19 7:02 AM by utisdabomb12

Then again my above comment could actually be a reason why Heard might win the job. Simple passing routes with the zone read might be the best way to minimize mistakes right now.

I still tend to think Swoopes will be starter come September though.

The defense will be great. Both qb's looked pretty good and are only going to get better. The longhorns might surprise some people this year.

Bomb, Swoopes was also with first team going against 2nd team. Heard played with 2nd team going against 1st team, and still produced more. You'll never sell me on Swoopes somehow mastering a more complicated offense. Whatever Swoopes can do mentally, I promise you Heard can do. Then again, that's not saying much. A trained monkey can outmatch Swoopes mentally.

Originally posted by SatydogHorn:
Heard is The guy going forward no doubt. Swoops had a full year at the helm already.
My thoughts exactly. Swoopes had his year, it was terrible. Heard is ahead of him at this point in his career than Swoopes was at his. We should not stick with Swoopes. Heard is the word.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT