ADVERTISEMENT

2016 Season Running Thread

Ah I see it now, the thread titles are a little misleading. Anyways we can use this one now.

Nice article discussing how and why Malik needs to be unleashed, as well as who could best help it happen...

"The play of Texas’ linebackers over the last year, especially in Strong’s 3-3-5 packages, is probably the most frustrating and also the most poorly understood aspect of the entire team. The fact that Malik Jefferson had to play as large a role as he did in 2015 as a true freshman spoke to how devastated the position was by the graduation of Jordan Hicks and Steve Edmond. The result of Jefferson getting pressed into action at the mike linebacker position where he had to spend time plugging holes rather than chasing QBs was agonizing for a fan base eager to see the Predator in his natural habitat."

ok, so who has the goods. At the beginning of week 2, is Swoopes still the lead dog at QB?

"Bob Shipley (father of former Texas WRs Jordan and Jaxon Shipley) coached Zach Shackelford at Belton and told me during the recruiting process that Shackelford had the kind of nasty, competitive temperament Charlie Strong is looking for in players." – Chip Brown

Zach Shackelford.jpg

Zach Shackelford was coached by Bob Shipley at Belton High School — the father of Longhorn greats Jordan and Jaxon Shipley. That experience alone must have given Shackelford a leg up on what it takes to succeed in college football.

What I wasn’t prepared to hear is that Shackelford is already playing with the 1’s. In fact, he ran out as the 1st team center on the very first day of spring ball.

Think about this: Zach should be gearing up for his high school prom. He should be suffering from a serious dose of “senioritis” (a condition that causes one to hate high school). Instead, he rolls up to the 40 Acres and is given the starting job before he even puts on pads.

I was skeptical.

But after seeing Zach play in person, I’m no longer skeptical. This is a unique player, coming into a unique situation in the offensive line meeting room.

Remember, in the last three years Texas has lost seven offensive linemen [who] didn’t play out their eligibility; they transferred or left the program. That means there’s a gaping hole in offensive line depth that must be filled by young players.

Another important point: the Longhorns have now had three offensive line coaches in three years. Any position or status that’s been earned must be earned all over again.

In Mattox’s current arrangement of the first five, I think Zach is Texas’ best option at center.

I’m not much for looks, mainly because looks have nothing to do with production on the field. It’s very possible to “look like Tarzan and play like Jane.”

That being said, Shackelford already looks the part of starting college center. He’s lean and muscular, but with enough overall mass that he won’t be easily thrown around.

Watching Zach in practice, I was impressed to see he held his own against first-team defenders. He got handedly beat a few times, like most of the offensive linemen — but that’s to expected because he should still be at Belton High. The fact that he could engage, not get obliterated, even win a round at this point is unexpected.

When you watch Zach’s high school film, the first thing that jumps off the screen is his tenacity. He plays with aggression, fire, and consistently buries defensive ends and linebackers. I was delighted to see that aspect of his game translate on the 40 Acres so quickly.

No one would blame him if he was slightly overwhelmed by his first day in pads at Texas. Shackelford may have felt that way on the inside, but his play didn’t show it when someone wanted to fight after the play was over.

I loved seeing the 18-year old Shackelford not back down, willing to mix it up, and come right back after this guy the next play.

Don’t expect Zach to be King Kong next year. Realistically, it would be great if his position was not a liability in conference play (and that’s a steep goal). – Per IT's Chris Hall

Quarterback
The five-man competition appears to have already turned into a three-person race for the starting job. If I had to handicap the competition after the first week, Tyrone Swoopes has separated himself from Jerrod Heard, while true freshman Shane Buechele looks primed to make a serious run at the throne. Swoopes’ practice performance doesn’t appear to have changed from where it was last spring: he might not have the greatest practice every time out, but he seems to have reached a point in his career where he’s stopped having bad practices. Heard, on the other hand, was wildly inconsistent during the two open workouts, struggling at times with knowing where to go with the ball and hesitating enough on some throws that defenders have been able to easily react to what he’s doing.

The story of the first three practices was Buechele, who displayed smooth mechanics and surprising poise throughout the course of a practice. When it came to 11-on-11 periods, things were moving a little fast for him, which, in addition to his size (or lack thereof), are the two biggest marks against him thus far. With that said, Buechele battled and didn’t seem to get down on himself when he did make mistakes. Buechele was a more consistent practice performer and more effective player from the pocket than Heard. Nevertheless, if the Longhorns played a game tomorrow it would appear as though Swoopes would be the guy leading the offense onto the field.

Running Back
One thing that stuck out to me about D’Onta Foreman was him playing through the whistle. He’s the one back I saw who consistently finished runs after the whistle blew and he had to be called back after running down the field, something Ricky Williams was known for doing on the practice field (he apparently used to say that was his way of practicing scoring). It’s been hard to get a feel for the running backs in terms of a performance evaluation. The general feeling is that Foreman and Chris Warren are slowly building on successful 2015 campaigns and are continuing to make strides.

Wide Receiver
Collin Johnson created the most buzz of any of the wide receivers on campus. The vibe behind the scenes is one of the staff being elated about what Johnson can do based on what he showed in the first week of practice and that the Longhorns will have a tremendous 1-2 punch at outside receiver with Johnson and John Burt. The guy to watch the rest of the way might be Armanti Foreman. The junior seems determined to put a disappointing sophomore season behind him having practiced like a maniac on Thursday, the last practice before the break, after suffering an injury that forced him to leave Monday’s practice early.

A determined Foreman (I’m told he’s completely changed his mindset from his first two years on campus and has impressed the coaches with his attitude and drive) could be just what Texas needs to establish a pecking order at receiver and start filling in the role players around them. Speaking of depth, Lorenzo Joe was solid through the first three practices, while DeAndre McNeal and Ryan Newsome have shown the ability to make plays and given a max effort. Jacorey Warrick appears to be off to a start in line with what he did last spring when he looked like someone who could give Texas valuable reps. That didn’t materialize on the field, a puzzling occurrence to some in the building, but if you’re looking for a John Harris to emerge as a breakthrough player it could be Warrick.

Tight End: The early practices were a sign the position is going to be involved in the offense. While the fullback has become obsolete, two-tight end sets can work in this offense since Andrew Beck and Caleb Bluiett (16 catches between them last season) have shown the ability to catch the football. There might not have been a more consistent offensive performer on the practice field than Bluiett, who displayed soft hands and the ability to catch anything thrown in his direction. He did that still displaying the rugged on-the-line style as a blocker that makes him a focal point of Texas’ run game. As long as Bluiett and Beck show they can be threats in the passing game the tight ends will be used in the offense.

Offensive Line: Connor Williams injured a toe during the final practice before the break, but Strong indicated it wasn’t anything serious. The biggest thing Williams’ absence showed is that there’s a pretty big drop off in terms of talent and ability to the second group. Tristan Nickelson seemed overmatched at tackle going against Naashon Hughes. Garrett Thomas and Ronnie Major appear to be still trying to figure things out. The transition Elijah Rodriguez to center is a work in progress as the third-year sophomore struggled in the final practice session before the break to consistently get the snap back to the quarterback without a hitch.

With that said, there’s still plenty of positives to take away from the big boys up front, a group that seems to enjoy playing for new line coach Matt Mattox. Mattox and the offensive staff know what they have with Williams, Patrick Vahe and Kent Perkins, but the biggest plusses have been what Brandon Hodges and Zach Shackelford have brought to the table. Hodges is someone the current offensive staff feels has a chance to be a very productive player for the Longhorns and he practiced with a great deal of energy and fire to start camp. Shackelford came in with a chip on his shoulder from the first day he arrived. Strong said the Belton product is so competitive, he tried to push a competitor to the ground during a race in winter conditioning for fear of losing.

Defensive Line: Depth is a huge concern for Strong and rightfully so, especially at tackle. Poona Ford and Paul Boyette flashed in the first practice in full pads, but with only Chris Nelson (a player a few team sources have told me has a chance to take a big step forward this year) and Jake McMillon behind them, they’re going to get all of the reps they can handle for the next 12 sessions. Those four are the only scholarship tackles in the program: two players returning with starting experience and two players who played sparingly in 2015. It’s easy to see why Strong and Brick Haley went out and signed five defensive tackles in the 2016 recruiting cycle.

With Derick Roberson having been out, the pecking order seems to have been established at end already. Nasshon Hughes is the starter at Fox end and Bryce Cottrell is the starter at strong end with Charles Omenihu being the primary backup with experience working at both spots. Roberson's absence has allowed Quincy Vasser, who has slimmed down since the fall, to work some at the Fox position behind Hughes. Hughes made the most plays of any of the defensive linemen in the first full-pads practice, an encouraging sign for the rest of the spring.

Linebacker: Fans would love for Strong and Vance Bedford to be able to turn Malik Jefferson loose, which would mean moving him outside. However, Jefferson has improved so much from this time last year in terms of knowing what to do within the confines of the defense and being trusted by the coaches to make calls that he could wind up functioning a lot like Jordan Hicks did in 2014. Jefferson is working at the middle linebacker spot with Breckyn Hager backing him up. It’s very possible that Jefferson moves around and doesn’t exclusively stay in the middle, but his value to the team is greater right now playing inside.

The real battle to watch the rest of the spring is going to be between Timothy Cole and Anthony Wheeler. While Wheeler is the more physically gifted player, and few would dispute that, watching practice showed that Cole is much further along in terms of being able to get lined up and play assignment football. How quickly Wheeler can pick up what he’s being asked to do will determine if Cole can keep his spot. One interesting thing to watch will be to see if Edwin Freeman, who left the third practice of spring with a foot/ankle injury, has to miss any practice time. If he’s out of action it will mean more reps for Cameron Townsend.

Defensive Back: The starting group didn’t change through two practices. Davante Davis and Holton Hill had the two starting cornerbacks jobs locked down, P.J. Locke was the man at the nickel position with Dylan Haines and Jason Hall at safety. With that said, Bedford appeared to be really pushing Kris Boyd and devoted a lot of time during walk-through periods to coach up the talented sophomore. Boyd could wind up pushing one of the two cornerbacks, Locke at the nickel or even one of the two safeties. The starting safety who is feeling the heat is Hall with DeShon Elliott playing behind him. Elliott was fast and fluid at 215 pounds, and the word behind the scenes is the staff feels like the Elliott vs. Hall battle will be a fun one to watch throughout the spring and summer to see who emerges as the eventual winner.

Special Teams: Jon Coppens and Evan Moore, two walk-on kickers, handled the limited field goal/PAT attempts that were repped in practice during the first week. Both players are complete unknowns as this point, and it probably won’t be until the spring game when we get a feel for what they bring to the table. Holton Hill, Jacorey Warrick, Ryan Newsome and Dorian Leonard all worked punt returns during the first week. I did not see Texas work any kickoff returns. (Howe)

The Texas coaching staff has a new look. Over the last few months, the Longhorns have added a handful of new coaches that should make impacts both on the field and on the recruiting trail. And we’re already seeing signs of the latter. After speaking to a couple of sources, here is the area that each new coach will receive. Some details are still being worked out right now, but here is what the overall picture will look like.

Clay Jennings — Chris Vaughn’s replacement will also be getting his former area in West Houston. Jennings will be responsible for recruiting Manvel, the Fort Bend schools, Katy, Bellaire Episcopal, Houston Lamar and others. That means Jennings will see guys like Marvin Wilson, Walker Little, Derrick Tucker and Grant Delpit during the spring evaluation period. You can also expect Jennings to be somewhat involved in South Dallas at schools like Cedar Hill, Lancaster and DeSoto.

Anthony Johnson — Texas’ new running backs coach will work side-by-side with Jennings in the Houston-area — though he will be regulated more towards East Houston at schools like Crosby and Galena Park North Shore. Johnson will also recruit in the Golden Triangle region of the state and the Piney Woods up by Nacogdoches and Lufkin. Johnson, an East Texas native, will be a good compliment to Jeff Traylor in the area. Johnson also has experience recruiting DFW. Look for him to see guys like Mannie Netherly, K’Lavon Chaisson and Kary Vincent this spring.

Sterlin Gilbert — Perhaps the most important hire of the offseason, Gilbert will spend most of his time close to campus in Central Texas. Gilbert actually made his way to Austin Westlake, La Grange and Temple before National Signing Day. The former Temple assistant is well-respected in the area and should help Texas get a boost with high school coaches in its own backyard. I also heard some positive Gilbert reviews in South Dallas and wouldn’t be surprised if he extends a helping hand there. Gilbert will see guys like Sam Ehlinger, Levi Jones, Taquon Graham and JK Dobbins in the spring.

Charlie Williams — Williams is still a little bit of a mystery, but we’re hearing that he will have Jay Norvell’s old area in North Dallas. That means Williams will be the main figure in places like Allen, Plano and Frisco as well as northwest Dallas over by Flower Mound, Lake Dallas, Southlake Carroll and Lewisville. Look for Williams to check in on prospects like Anthony Hines, Deiontae Watts, Robert Barnes, Mohamed Sanogo, Tyrell Shavers and Kobe Boyce this spring.

Matt Mattox — Texas’ new offensive line coach will focus primarily on recruiting his position group. But he will more than likely take over Joe Wickline’s area out in West Texas and Fort Worth. There aren’t too many Texas prospects out in that area of the state, but Mattox might be able to find some hidden gems and build relationships for the future. His biggest stop by far will be at Kennedale — though I wouldn’t be surprised if Brian Jean-Mary, who recruits South Dallas, makes his way over there instead. (Holland)

Spring practice guidelines:

Of the 15 allowable sessions that may occur during the spring practice season, eight (8) practices may involve live contact; three (3) of these live contact practices may include greater than 50 percent live contact (scrimmages). Live contact practices are limited to two (2) in a given week and may not occur on consecutive days.

[Per NCAA.com]

Charlie04 - steamroller.jpg

Texas coach Charlie Strong spent the first day after spring break talking to the university faculty council. His confident tone Monday was striking.

Strong touched on several program cornerstones, including the importance of academics and his appreciation of UT faculty members. The coach made it clear that all faculty members are welcome to attend practices, and that they should report when players miss class. A 5 a.m. running session awaits truants.

“You think about a degree from the University of Texas and how important it is,” Strong said. “For some of them, their parents didn’t have this opportunity. I tell them all the time, you’re not going to waste this opportunity.”

But Strong, who spoke with a tad more oomph than he normally does with reporters, is clearly excited about the recent recruiting class and what it may signal going forward. In his mind, back-to-back losing seasons are a thing of the past.

“What’s going to happen when we flip this thing? Where are we going to be then?,” he told the crowd of about a hundred faculty members. “You think about what we’re doing right now, what’s going to happen when we really get it turned?

“They might as well move out of the way, because we are going to steamroll everyone,” he added. “That’s going to happen.”

“I love that we open with Notre Dame. I really do love that,” Strong said.

S Dylan Haines
On how it feels to be back and how his spring break went: It was good. My spring break probably wasn't as exciting as some of the other kids. I had a Spanish final on Wednesday and the GRE on Friday, so I was kind of hanging around Austin, just stayed and relaxed. But it's good to be back after the break. We had a week of 'spring ball' and then we left, so we felt like we got things going and then kind of took a step back. Now we're back out here again, and it feels like it's just a new 'spring ball'. Feels good to be back. Everyone was fresh today. We had a lot of energy. Obviously some mental mistakes. We're just getting started, but it feels good to be back.
On if the Texas offense is keeping the defense 'on their toes': Yeah, absolutely. I think the first day they ran 70 plays in 10 minutes so I think they're definitely going 'up tempo'. Faster than I've seen anyone play, that I've played against or practiced against. I think that's good for them if they can keep that tempo up throughout the year. I think that's going to keep defenses 'on their toes' and it just makes us better. If we were to see a team that comes out and goes no-huddle on the ball it's just going to help us.
On how the defense gets lined up in time when an offense plays up tempo: Sometimes you don't and that's just part of it. Something they've been stressing is when you're tired - because sometimes we go in sets of four or five plays, those fourth and fifth plays you're tired - so that's just when you have to focus on fundamentals, technique, stuff like that. That's when, if you're breaking down in those last few plays, you're getting tired, those are the things you have to work on. Because when you play teams in the Big 12, if you're tired out there the offenses are looking to attack you and they're looking to throw a lot on the field. So that's the thing that we're prepared to see.
On the progress he's seen with S DeShon Elliott: He's coming along great. That's a guy that missed camp last year basically because he had that 'toe thing'. He's made tremendous strides in the film room, in the classroom as we'd say, learning the game. He's taking it to the field. He's doing everything that he needs to be doing to get on the field. You have to honor that and you have to be proud of him for that. There's a lot of guys. P.J. Locke's a name that you're going to hear a lot this year. He's, right now, taking the nickel position and he's trying to make that his position and he's trying to start in that position. That's going to be great for him. He's doing a lot as well in the classroom to learn that, and he knows he has big shoes to fill after Quandre [Diggs] was here two years ago. He's just looking to be the best player he can be and you have to honor him for that.
On what he means when he mentions his teammates' 'making strides' in the classroom: The mental side of the game, I would say, is somewhere around 80%. So if you're the greatest athlete that doesn't necessarily mean that you can play. We play a complicated defense and I think that's good, because if you know what to do, you can anticipate things coming. That's something that I take a lot of pride in my game, is just being able to anticipate things. If you know it's coming it's a lot easier to defend it. They've been in the film room studying those things, and like I said, PJ is nickel, he played safety last year, so he has a whole new position to learn. It's new techniques, new alignments, it's new everything. You would expect a first year guy learning a new position like that to be behind, but he's not at all.
On the new offense: Obviously we have a new offensive coordinator and a new O-line coach so we expected to see some different things. It wasn't going to be the same kind of spring, seeing the same stuff we saw last year. And I think the tempo helps us. And if anything, it just helps us get lined up, get prepared, and if a team is to come out there in the season and not go as fast as them, I think that's just going to make us better because we're just going to be so used to seeing such a fast tempo team. We're going to have more time to work on our alignment, to read things out, to look at formation distribution - all these things. The fact that they're making us get better, I think that's going to help us. As far as not being able to get lined up, that's going to happen. They're switching out players on offense and we just go five plays at a time. But it helps us with just running to the ball and getting back, getting lined up, working on fundamentals.

RB D'Onta Foreman
On if the offense is aiming at a fast pace: Yes sir, definitely. With the up tempo offense that we have, we're trying to get the most plays that we can, make sure it's efficient, and that everyone's doing what they're supposed to do. Make sure we get the call to the line and make sure everything's efficient.
On if everyone is keeping up: Coming back from spring break, people were kind of worn out, getting tired, but that's part of it. We just have to keep working everyday making sure what we're doing is efficient and make sure everyone's getting the calls in and make sure that everyone's doing what they're supposed to do.
On how often the defense is able to get lined up in time: Honestly, I don't even know. I'm so worried about getting the play to the line and making my reads that I don't even see if they're lined up or not. It's that fast.
On how different the offense is from what they did last year: It's a lot different. The play calling is a lot faster. The signals are a lot faster. The signals are shorter so it makes everything a lot faster. We talk about it everyday. I know that I've talked to the line, the quarterbacks, and the rest of the running backs to make sure that we have what we need to make sure that everything in the interior goes the way it's supposed to go.
On if the offense sees the signal and just 'goes': Yeah, we just see it and make sure the line gets the call, and we go.
Is this 'spring ball' different since his role on the team has changed: Definitely, I'm just trying to be a leader out there. I'm the oldest guy in the room right now so that was different from last year. But I'm just trying to talk to everybody, make sure everybody's on the same page and make sure that I do what I'm supposed to do. I have to go out there and set the tempo and that's what I try to do everyday. Just set the tempo and try to get people on my page and try to get people as up-tempo as I am.
On if this is still going to be a 'power' running team despite the change in tempo: Oh definitely, we have to be. In our group, the running backs, we talk about being the ones that get everything going. We have to have that mentality. When we go on the field we have to pass block well. We have to run the ball well. We have to make sure we get the calls into who we need to get the calls into. I feel like everything starts with us, honestly.

RB Chris Warren

On coming back to workouts following spring break: I think the offense is in a really good spot because we know our plays, we know what we're supposed to do, and we know our tempo that we want to go at. So I think we're in a good spot right now.
On how a physical 1-2 punch at running back fits into a high-speed offense: I think it brings a different dynamic to the tempo offense. In having a bigger back in an up-tempo offense, if you decide to run the ball two or three times in a row, going that fast, over time, that's probably going to drain [the defense] a lot faster than normal depending on how that game will go. I just feel like it would give us more opportunities to make bigger plays and greatly intensify the play action.
On getting used to the new dynamic: You can tell the defense wasn't used to it and we weren't used to it at first. But now we're all kind of getting in the same groove. But up-tempo is up-tempo. You can still see it coming and you can still not stop it, but it's possible. But I think our defense is doing a good job of getting up to the new tempo and so are we.
On last season motivating him to putting on extra weight: I hadn't lifted before coming into college, so it was really my only time actually lifting. I've never really had an offseason either. I've always done a different sport. Coming into this offseason, I just wanted to make sure that I could stay healthy and make sure that I could also bring myself up to being able – consistently -be there to play. But that's pretty much it really.
On Coach Strong's comments about the running back room being the best room in the facility: I feel like we do our fair share of work. I know our DBs are very good and our receivers have some playmakers in there. Our quarterbacks are great and I know our o-line is coming together very well. I know our d-line is consistently pretty good. So I think that we all do our respective work. (Note, Warren said he hit 255 pounds in the middle of offseason lifting, but dropped to 245 pounds after spring football began.)

http://texassports.c...ailability.aspx

Reactions: HornosaurusRex
By all reports sounds like PJ Locke is going to be the starting Nickel, at least as of now. Supposedly doing really good there too. Had a int in practice yesterday.

Reactions: cwillfromdatx
Per TFB:
Quarterbacks: I was told SR Tyrone Swoopes took the 1st team reps, RS SO Jerrod Heard took reps with the 2nd team, and true FR Shane Buechele took the 3rd team reps again on Tuesday. Even though he took the 3rd team reps I was told Buechele was the best looking QB on Tuesday.

My source said “Buechele had a nice day. He’s accurate and has a really quick release and gets the ball out faster than the other QB’s”. A main concern with Buechele is if his body is developed enough to take the beating that comes with playing QB at times, my source did add though, “if he learns the offense he could be the guy.”

I was told Jerrod Heard is still holding on to the ball too long in the pocket. And I know some want to know why RS FR QB Kai Locksley isn’t receiving any team reps after most heard good things about him in the off-season. My source was straightforward and said, “He just doesn’t throw a very good ball at all right now, he looks the part though.” Obviously when you’re getting information about practice, you’re receiving someone else’s opinion but for whatever reason, right now, Locksley isn’t receiving team reps. – (Andrew)

Starters in the Trenches: On the offensive line it seems like Matt Mattox has found his starting five for the spring. The 1st teamers yet again were SO Connor Williams at LT, RS JR Brandon Hodges at LG, True FR Zach Shackelford at C, SO Patrick Vahe at RG, and SR Kent Perkins at RT.

I was told Williams didn’t participate in drills after some non-contact stuff in the beginning of practice due to a leg injury but it doesn’t sound like anything too serious.

On the defensive line I was told that RS JR Naashon Hughes was at FOX, SR Paul Boyette and JR Poona Ford were at DT, and SO Charles Omenihu at SDE ran with the first team. It seems clear now that Omenihu is really going to challenge Bryce Cottrell at SDE, those 2 will be a nice pass-rushing combo at that position. – (Andrew)

Wide Receivers: I was told the 3 starting WR’s yesterday were SO John Burt and JR Armanti Foreman on the outside and JR Lorenzo Joe in the slot. Though I was told that since the tempo was so fast the top WRs were rotating in and out quite a bit. So, obviously things are moving very fast in practice.

Collin Johnson continues to impress, even just with his stature. A source I spoke to said about Johnson, “Collin Johnson, Lord. That guy is huge”. It’ll be interesting to see what Johnson will look like after he has a full offseason under his belt. – (Andrew)

Young DBs continue to Impress: To no surprise, SO Holton Hill and Davante Davis are the 2 starting CB’s, and I was told Davis is having a fantastic spring and continues to look like the real deal.

SO PJ Locke seems to have locked down the starting spot at Nickel and isn’t letting it go. I was told he had another good day and had a nice INT during 7-on-7.

JR Jason Hall is still taking 1st-team reps over SO DeShon Elliott at safety and I was told both had solid days on Tuesday. That will be a battle watch in the spring and summer. – (Andrew)

Quarterback
The five-man competition appears to have already turned into a three-person race for the starting job. If I had to handicap the competition after the first week, Tyrone Swoopes has separated himself from Jerrod Heard, while true freshman Shane Buechele looks primed to make a serious run at the throne. Swoopes’ practice performance doesn’t appear to have changed from where it was last spring: he might not have the greatest practice every time out, but he seems to have reached a point in his career where he’s stopped having bad practices. Heard, on the other hand, was wildly inconsistent during the two open workouts, struggling at times with knowing where to go with the ball and hesitating enough on some throws that defenders have been able to easily react to what he’s doing.

The story of the first three practices was Buechele, who displayed smooth mechanics and surprising poise throughout the course of a practice. When it came to 11-on-11 periods, things were moving a little fast for him, which, in addition to his size (or lack thereof), are the two biggest marks against him thus far. With that said, Buechele battled and didn’t seem to get down on himself when he did make mistakes. Buechele was a more consistent practice performer and more effective player from the pocket than Heard. Nevertheless, if the Longhorns played a game tomorrow it would appear as though Swoopes would be the guy leading the offense onto the field.

Running Back
One thing that stuck out to me about D’Onta Foreman was him playing through the whistle. He’s the one back I saw who consistently finished runs after the whistle blew and he had to be called back after running down the field, something Ricky Williams was known for doing on the practice field (he apparently used to say that was his way of practicing scoring). It’s been hard to get a feel for the running backs in terms of a performance evaluation. The general feeling is that Foreman and Chris Warren are slowly building on successful 2015 campaigns and are continuing to make strides.

Wide Receiver
Collin Johnson created the most buzz of any of the wide receivers on campus. The vibe behind the scenes is one of the staff being elated about what Johnson can do based on what he showed in the first week of practice and that the Longhorns will have a tremendous 1-2 punch at outside receiver with Johnson and John Burt. The guy to watch the rest of the way might be Armanti Foreman. The junior seems determined to put a disappointing sophomore season behind him having practiced like a maniac on Thursday, the last practice before the break, after suffering an injury that forced him to leave Monday’s practice early.

A determined Foreman (I’m told he’s completely changed his mindset from his first two years on campus and has impressed the coaches with his attitude and drive) could be just what Texas needs to establish a pecking order at receiver and start filling in the role players around them. Speaking of depth, Lorenzo Joe was solid through the first three practices, while DeAndre McNeal and Ryan Newsome have shown the ability to make plays and given a max effort. Jacorey Warrick appears to be off to a start in line with what he did last spring when he looked like someone who could give Texas valuable reps. That didn’t materialize on the field, a puzzling occurrence to some in the building, but if you’re looking for a John Harris to emerge as a breakthrough player it could be Warrick.

Tight End: The early practices were a sign the position is going to be involved in the offense. While the fullback has become obsolete, two-tight end sets can work in this offense since Andrew Beck and Caleb Bluiett (16 catches between them last season) have shown the ability to catch the football. There might not have been a more consistent offensive performer on the practice field than Bluiett, who displayed soft hands and the ability to catch anything thrown in his direction. He did that still displaying the rugged on-the-line style as a blocker that makes him a focal point of Texas’ run game. As long as Bluiett and Beck show they can be threats in the passing game the tight ends will be used in the offense.

Offensive Line: Connor Williams injured a toe during the final practice before the break, but Strong indicated it wasn’t anything serious. The biggest thing Williams’ absence showed is that there’s a pretty big drop off in terms of talent and ability to the second group. Tristan Nickelson seemed overmatched at tackle going against Naashon Hughes. Garrett Thomas and Ronnie Major appear to be still trying to figure things out. The transition Elijah Rodriguez to center is a work in progress as the third-year sophomore struggled in the final practice session before the break to consistently get the snap back to the quarterback without a hitch.

With that said, there’s still plenty of positives to take away from the big boys up front, a group that seems to enjoy playing for new line coach Matt Mattox. Mattox and the offensive staff know what they have with Williams, Patrick Vahe and Kent Perkins, but the biggest plusses have been what Brandon Hodges and Zach Shackelford have brought to the table. Hodges is someone the current offensive staff feels has a chance to be a very productive player for the Longhorns and he practiced with a great deal of energy and fire to start camp. Shackelford came in with a chip on his shoulder from the first day he arrived. Strong said the Belton product is so competitive, he tried to push a competitor to the ground during a race in winter conditioning for fear of losing.

Defensive Line: Depth is a huge concern for Strong and rightfully so, especially at tackle. Poona Ford and Paul Boyette flashed in the first practice in full pads, but with only Chris Nelson (a player a few team sources have told me has a chance to take a big step forward this year) and Jake McMillon behind them, they’re going to get all of the reps they can handle for the next 12 sessions. Those four are the only scholarship tackles in the program: two players returning with starting experience and two players who played sparingly in 2015. It’s easy to see why Strong and Brick Haley went out and signed five defensive tackles in the 2016 recruiting cycle.

With Derick Roberson having been out, the pecking order seems to have been established at end already. Nasshon Hughes is the starter at Fox end and Bryce Cottrell is the starter at strong end with Charles Omenihu being the primary backup with experience working at both spots. Roberson's absence has allowed Quincy Vasser, who has slimmed down since the fall, to work some at the Fox position behind Hughes. Hughes made the most plays of any of the defensive linemen in the first full-pads practice, an encouraging sign for the rest of the spring.

Linebacker: Fans would love for Strong and Vance Bedford to be able to turn Malik Jefferson loose, which would mean moving him outside. However, Jefferson has improved so much from this time last year in terms of knowing what to do within the confines of the defense and being trusted by the coaches to make calls that he could wind up functioning a lot like Jordan Hicks did in 2014. Jefferson is working at the middle linebacker spot with Breckyn Hager backing him up. It’s very possible that Jefferson moves around and doesn’t exclusively stay in the middle, but his value to the team is greater right now playing inside.

The real battle to watch the rest of the spring is going to be between Timothy Cole and Anthony Wheeler. While Wheeler is the more physically gifted player, and few would dispute that, watching practice showed that Cole is much further along in terms of being able to get lined up and play assignment football. How quickly Wheeler can pick up what he’s being asked to do will determine if Cole can keep his spot. One interesting thing to watch will be to see if Edwin Freeman, who left the third practice of spring with a foot/ankle injury, has to miss any practice time. If he’s out of action it will mean more reps for Cameron Townsend.

Defensive Back: The starting group didn’t change through two practices. Davante Davis and Holton Hill had the two starting cornerbacks jobs locked down, P.J. Locke was the man at the nickel position with Dylan Haines and Jason Hall at safety. With that said, Bedford appeared to be really pushing Kris Boyd and devoted a lot of time during walk-through periods to coach up the talented sophomore. Boyd could wind up pushing one of the two cornerbacks, Locke at the nickel or even one of the two safeties. The starting safety who is feeling the heat is Hall with DeShon Elliott playing behind him. Elliott was fast and fluid at 215 pounds, and the word behind the scenes is the staff feels like the Elliott vs. Hall battle will be a fun one to watch throughout the spring and summer to see who emerges as the eventual winner.

Special Teams: Jon Coppens and Evan Moore, two walk-on kickers, handled the limited field goal/PAT attempts that were repped in practice during the first week. Both players are complete unknowns as this point, and it probably won’t be until the spring game when we get a feel for what they bring to the table. Holton Hill, Jacorey Warrick, Ryan Newsome and Dorian Leonard all worked punt returns during the first week. I did not see Texas work any kickoff returns. (Howe)

The Texas coaching staff has a new look. Over the last few months, the Longhorns have added a handful of new coaches that should make impacts both on the field and on the recruiting trail. And we’re already seeing signs of the latter. After speaking to a couple of sources, here is the area that each new coach will receive. Some details are still being worked out right now, but here is what the overall picture will look like.

Clay Jennings — Chris Vaughn’s replacement will also be getting his former area in West Houston. Jennings will be responsible for recruiting Manvel, the Fort Bend schools, Katy, Bellaire Episcopal, Houston Lamar and others. That means Jennings will see guys like Marvin Wilson, Walker Little, Derrick Tucker and Grant Delpit during the spring evaluation period. You can also expect Jennings to be somewhat involved in South Dallas at schools like Cedar Hill, Lancaster and DeSoto.

Anthony Johnson — Texas’ new running backs coach will work side-by-side with Jennings in the Houston-area — though he will be regulated more towards East Houston at schools like Crosby and Galena Park North Shore. Johnson will also recruit in the Golden Triangle region of the state and the Piney Woods up by Nacogdoches and Lufkin. Johnson, an East Texas native, will be a good compliment to Jeff Traylor in the area. Johnson also has experience recruiting DFW. Look for him to see guys like Mannie Netherly, K’Lavon Chaisson and Kary Vincent this spring.

Sterlin Gilbert — Perhaps the most important hire of the offseason, Gilbert will spend most of his time close to campus in Central Texas. Gilbert actually made his way to Austin Westlake, La Grange and Temple before National Signing Day. The former Temple assistant is well-respected in the area and should help Texas get a boost with high school coaches in its own backyard. I also heard some positive Gilbert reviews in South Dallas and wouldn’t be surprised if he extends a helping hand there. Gilbert will see guys like Sam Ehlinger, Levi Jones, Taquon Graham and JK Dobbins in the spring.

Charlie Williams — Williams is still a little bit of a mystery, but we’re hearing that he will have Jay Norvell’s old area in North Dallas. That means Williams will be the main figure in places like Allen, Plano and Frisco as well as northwest Dallas over by Flower Mound, Lake Dallas, Southlake Carroll and Lewisville. Look for Williams to check in on prospects like Anthony Hines, Deiontae Watts, Robert Barnes, Mohamed Sanogo, Tyrell Shavers and Kobe Boyce this spring.

Matt Mattox — Texas’ new offensive line coach will focus primarily on recruiting his position group. But he will more than likely take over Joe Wickline’s area out in West Texas and Fort Worth. There aren’t too many Texas prospects out in that area of the state, but Mattox might be able to find some hidden gems and build relationships for the future. His biggest stop by far will be at Kennedale — though I wouldn’t be surprised if Brian Jean-Mary, who recruits South Dallas, makes his way over there instead. (Holland)
This is an excellent post for any Texas football fan ---- and Thank you

Spring practice guidelines:

Of the 15 allowable sessions that may occur during the spring practice season, eight (8) practices may involve live contact; three (3) of these live contact practices may include greater than 50 percent live contact (scrimmages). Live contact practices are limited to two (2) in a given week and may not occur on consecutive days.

[Per NCAA.com]
Bear Bryant would turn over in his grave if he read these guidelines.

Man everything sounds good except qb. I feel like I'm going to have to brace for another year of Tyrone Swoopes at qb. I mean are the fb gods still mad at Texas about something?

Man everything sounds good except qb. I feel like I'm going to have to brace for another year of Tyrone Swoopes at qb. I mean are the fb gods still mad at Texas about something?

I feel the same way about Swoops and perhaps he can re-invent himself and be a productive in the passing game. One of the biggest mistakes coaches make is looking at qb's and stating that so and so has the "strongest arm" but what good is this when one overthrow's 15 yard's past the receiver. There are linemen that can throw 70 yards but they are not qb's. The qb position is not a tallest man or the strongest are contest. The personality is the biggest attribute in my opinion. Swoops has a stronger arm than Colt too.

I feel the same way about Swoops and perhaps he can re-invent himself and be a productive in the passing game. One of the biggest mistakes coaches make is looking at qb's and stating that so and so has the "strongest arm" but what good is this when one overthrow's 15 yard's past the receiver. There are linemen that can throw 70 yards but they are not qb's. The qb position is not a tallest man or the strongest are contest. The personality is the biggest attribute in my opinion. Swoops has a stronger arm than Colt too.
Not that I disagree with you guys and the QB that we have seen the last couple of years in Swoopes....but I don't think Coaches who know their job is on the line are going to trot out anybody who isn't the best option for them to keep their jobs. It may very well be Swoopes...in the old days many QBs never saw the field till their Sr year....maybe he has improved or maybe this offense is not like solving a rubiks cube on every play and is easier for him? I do believe 1 thing...the Coaches are going to play who they think will win games, and that is all I care about.

Not sure what everyone's bar is for this season, but mine is 8 wins. It doesn't take an elite QB or even a good QB to get 8 wins.

Not sure what everyone's bar is for this season, but mine is 8 wins. It doesn't take an elite QB or even a good QB to get 8 wins.
I think that's a reasonable number:

w/ poor QB play we are under 8 wins
w/ good QB play we are over 8 wins

I think that's a reasonable number:

w/ poor QB play we are under 8 wins
w/ good QB play we are over 8 wins

If an end of the rope Mack Brown can coach a Case McCoy quarterbacked team to 8 wins, there aren't any excuses for Strong anymore. Not that I give him a complete pass for the last two years, but I recognize that you have to tear down some before you can rebuild.

Pretty cool that this kid is a current player and already really good at video editing. (Or maybe I should say better than I'd ever be) I know Godz40 is pretty good as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT