ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Longhorns second spring practice video

FlourBluffHorn

Jan 5, 2007
http://www.burntorangenation.com/20...rns-second-spring-practice-video-jerrod-heard

The Texas Longhorns held the second practice of the spring on Wednesday and the video team was on hand to document the proceedings, as well as overlay some of head coach Charlie Strong's thoughts on the team's points of emphasis during the spring from his media availability on Monday.

One interesting note from the video -- new offensive coordinator Sterlin Gilbert has had the team practicing the speed option during both of the first two practices, with sophomore quarterback Jerrod Heard pitching to sophomore running back Chris Warren in one clip.

While the play wasn't particularly effective last year, it does pressure the perimeter of the defense, remove a defender from the play, and allow Warren and junior D'Onta Foreman to get on the edge with some momentum, which could prove extremely dangerous to opposing defenses this year. How many cornerbacks and safeties in the Big 12 want to deal with either of those two in those situations?

Oh, and there's also an appearance by senior wide receiver Jacorey Warrick, the spring sensation last year who disappeared during the season. The clip is of a truly remarkable over-the-shoulder catch that Warrick made look easy but is in truth one of the most difficult plays that a wide receiver can make. The question now is whether Warrick is going to go the route of former spring standout DeSean Hales or put himself in contention for the Gaskamp award this fall as the unexpected breakout senior.

There's also a short touchdown pass from Heard to senior tight end Caleb Bluiett, who should continue to grow into his role with a full offseason to work on offense, and a short pass from senior quarterback Tyrone Swoopes to early enrollee wide receiver Collin Johnson. If there's some rapport being established between those two, it could be big news for the Longhorns.

As for Heard, he's bulked up considerably in his upper body, but it's concerning that he continues to struggle spinning the football. If he can't get the proper wrist load for the ball to come out cleanly, that increased strength won't translate into greater velocity on the football. And it's not just an aesthetic thing, either, as fluttering balls will not cut through the wind on days when the conditions are less than optimal.

On another pass late in the video targeting Blueitt once again, Heard's mechanics were much more in sync and he ripped off a nice throw.

Redshirt freshman Kai Locksley had a similar issue in an appearance in the second spring practice, hitting sophomore wide receiver DeAndre McNeal well downfield on a contested catch over redshirt freshman linebacker Cameron Townsed.

In between, sophomore cornerback Davante Davis was in position on a deep pass intended for sophomore wide receiver John Burt and was able to knock the throw away. And keeping up with the Big 12 hurdler is no easy task, proving that while Davis may not have the best pure speed, he can hold his own when it matters.

HOOK'EM

- Jerrod Heard was the first QB up in team drills Thursday.

- Team drills go by at a break-neck pace and include substitution after substitution. (QBs still included at this time.) You see when watching new OC Sterlin Gilbert's Tulsa offense that substitutions were lightning-quick to get to four WRs in on passing downs. This pace in practice not only teaches the skill personnel the frantic nature of the offense but also gives the coaches the opportunity to filter through a few QBs per drive and get more reps on tape.

- As mentioned previously, four QBs got work in team drills: Tyrone Swoopes, Jerrod Heard, Shane Buechele and Matthew Merrick. It seems reasonable at this time to speculate that Kai Locksley may be headed for a conversation with Charlie Strong about a position change sometime down the road.

- Swoopes, Heard and Buechele all looked comparable as passers on Thursday. Locksley and Merrick appeared on a different level below these three. Locksley throws a natural and catchable ball at times but is inconsistent. Merrick may throw a more accurate, yet somehow less-catchable ball than Locksley and still will need to refine his delivery.

- The starting offensive line remained the same (L to R)

Williams - Hodges - Shackelford - Vahe - Perkins

- Let's just go down the list of notes scribbled down about true freshman C Zach Shackelford. It was an important day to watch him as it was the first in full pads and his power has been a major consideration. These are the notes I have Shackelford mentioned in, they should tell a good story:

"Shack picking fights."

Shackelford was vocal in his play and took to full contact like a duck to water. He was instigating fights and showing a mean streak.

"Shack needs to work on pad level."

And he does. It will be the most important thing to monitor. I'm actually less worried about his feet than I am about him playing too high at times. Thankfully for Texas, pad level is much more easily correctable.

"Shack pancakes Jake McMillon"

Pretty self-explanatory.

"Shack opens huge hole for Foreman up middle vs. Chris Nelson"

Pretty self-explanatory.

In all,the lack of bad reportsabout C Zach Shackelford through three practices have been a bright spot. In fact, the reports are actually good bordering on very impressive. He's a nice player for Texas, if still young and raw. Power will come along in Shackelford but it's serviceable at least to start.

- Speaking of bright spots, you can't talk about a Texas spring practice without mentioning WR Collin Johnson apparently. He continues to get worked like a player who will be starting from Day 1 at Texas and an instant contributor. Johnson separated in two ways versus stud sophomore CB Davante Davis (by far Texas' most efficient ballhawk): 1) via dirty stemming and footwork at the line of scrimmage that got Davis off balance to start and; 2) by length-of-body alone in tight bail-coverage downfield. Johnson is going to be special for Texas.

- One interesting thing on offense Thursday was a few instances of WR John Burt lining up in the slot. Burt looks smoother and less gangly as a sophomore.

- LB Breckyn Hager had a few big-time splash plays in the Oklahoma drill where he looked like he was shot out of a torpedo. It's a safe bet to say he's going to start or at least get major run for Texas at some point.

- Other defensive guys who made huge run-stuffs in this, the most physical drill of the day were: S Jason Hall vs. WR Dorian Leonard and also CB Antuwan Davis vs. WR Deandre McNeal.

- WR Ryan Newsome is known as a speed demon, but nickel PJ Locke had no trouble keeping up with him on vertical routes out of the slot on Thursday.

- Just a small note about the feel of practice, but ... it's hard to imagine to more different personalities as coaches than Matt Mattox and Joe Wickline. This offensive line is likely having a whale of a time re-adjusting to someone who's less crotchety, abrasive and loud. Not that there's anything wrong with an OL coach being crotchety, abrasive and loud.

- There were a few former Longhorns players in attendance on Wednesday in (at least) Johnathan Gray, Quan Cosby and Peter Jinkens. Gray is walking with a noticeable limp after his post-senior-season achilles tear but is no longer on crutches.

- DE Charles Omenihu wins the smack-talker of the day award. He has not been an overly exuberant player to start his career at Texas but was fired up Thursday and started a pretty wooly altercation with LT Tristan Nickelson after the whistle. By the looks of the competition in spring it is in no way crazy to project Omenihu as starting at the SDE position by season's end in 2016.

- Speaking of smack-talkers, let's just say LB Demarco Boyd takes after his brother Kris in that department ...

- For additional notes from Thursday's practice, including a couple injury updates,click here. (Dunlap)

It is too early for Texas coach Charlie Strong to give quarterback Tyrone Swoopes the starting job.

However, after one week of practice, Swoopes is clearly the man to beat.

Swoopes entered spring practice as the No. 1 quarterback. He will head into spring break as the passer on whom Strong and offensive coordinator Sterlin Gilbert continue to lean. Swoopes has received the majority of first-team reps during the two practices media members were allowed to watch this week. There are four other quarterbacks competing, but Swoopes is ahead of his competitors right now.

To be honest, Swoopes is seemingly only competing against Jerrod Heard and Shane Buechele right now. Kai Locksley and Matthew Merrick are on the roster, but neither player is receiving many reps during team drills. In fact, Merrick saw limited action during team drills on Thursday, but Locksley did not receive any reps during 11-on-11 activities.

“We’re still evaluating that position,” Strong said. “Tyrone, just because he has experience. He’s been there. But you watch him, he’s making throws. He’s getting us in the right place and plays. Also, with Jerrod, he’s doing a really good job. He had a couple of breakaways where you could see him break it and go a long ways with it.

“Just to watch Shane. He’s still learning. The good thing about it is he knows where to put the ball. Now it’s all about just placing it and just making the good throws.”

Swoopes made most of the essential throws on Thursday. The majority of throws were short passes, which is something Longhorn fans should expect this season. Gilbert is using an up-tempo offenses full of quick passes – and runs – that are designed to set up shots down the field. The offense is designed to keep opposing defenses off balance, and Swoopes has the arm strength to make all of the necessary throws.

Texas receivers John Burt and Collin Johnson are emerging as the top receiving targets this spring. Swoopes has been able to find both players during practice. Each receiver has the ability to haul in high passes. They are also very easy targets for Swoopes to find.

The biggest thing working for Swoopes right now is his increased confidence. Most Longhorn fans remember the Swoopes who looked lost as a starter in 2014. He was a guy who lacked confidence, publically admitted he did not like contact, and it appeared Swoopes would not play again.

However, Swoopes was given the opportunity to play in the season opener against Notre Dame. Swoopes excelled during offseason practice, and former offensive coordinator Shawn Watson believed his quarterback could get the job done. After that embarrassing loss, Watson was demoted, and Swoopes was benched.

However, former play-called Jay Norvell believed Swoopes could be effective as a running quarterback. Norvell created a package for Swoopes designed to utilize his big body. Swoopes slowly began to build confidence as he ran over opposing players and was fully embraced by the fan base and teammates. Swoopes was arguably a better option to help Texas win games down the stretch than Heard.

That is one reason why Swoopes has an edge this spring.

Swoopes clearly has more confidence than ever. He is usually bouncing around during practice. He is the first person to congratulate receivers after a good catch. Swoopes is often laughing with teammates, and enjoys pumping up members of his offense during drills. There was a time when Swoopes was barely noticeable on the field. Now, it is hard to miss Swoopes because he is so animated.

“You look at him now,” Strong said. “He’s been here. He’s a senior, so know you see it (confidence). Last year, the package that we put in for him, he had some success with it. More than anything, that helped him with his overall attitude, just how he really feels about himself. Now, we you watch him take the field, he has that confidence about him, which I didn’t think he had last season. That confidence factor is there. It’s more or less now, ‘Hey, I know I can do this. It’s about me going to get it done.’"

When asked if it surprised him, Strong said, “No. It doesn’t surprise me. I knew it would take a little time, but it doesn’t surprise me. You like the way he’s going about it now, and just his overall attitude. He works really hard. You just want to see good things happen for him.”

The best thing happening for Swoopes is he is competing against only two quarterbacks.

Heard was expected to be in the mix, but Buechele has surpassed Locksley on the depth chart. Locksley does participate in individual drills. He just is not a factor in the quarterback competition, and it appears he will be faced with the decision to play receiver this season, or transfer after the spring game if his situation does not change soon. (Richardson)

Zach Shackelford is a freshman who has not played a down at Texas. That being said, he is receiving the praise of an upperclassman.

Shackelford was handed the starting center job on day one. He is expected to replace Taylor Doyle, and so far players and coaches are raving about his playing ability.

“Shack is amazing,” Texas offensive lineman Kent Perkins said. “I feel like Shack has worked his butt off. He’s stayed humble through the whole process. That’s always something you like to see. I feel like Shack is a future all-American. His work ethic is crazy. He does things the right way. If he doesn’t, he fixes it. He just a great player.”

Here is what Strong said about the freshman:

“Very competitive. He has a little attitude to him. I remember one day I was out there watching him, and we were outside, and we have those competitive drills. I forgot who he was going against. He was almost about to lose and you see him kind of come … guys are running side-by-side, and he kind of nudges his guy and tries to push him down to go win it. I just started laughing because you knew then he had a little different attitude to him.” (Richardson)

Will Heard change positions too to utilize his athletic ability instead of sitting the bench behind Swoopes?

Will Heard change positions too to utilize his athletic ability instead of sitting the bench behind Swoopes?
We shall see. Don't really care who starts, just wanting Gilbert to get one of them right. If it's the fish Buechele and we lose a couple of QB transfers, so be it.

The hard part for Swoopes is, he may not have a future as a qb in the NFL but he may have the size and athletic ability for another position like Blake Bell did. But being senior starter at UT at qb could parlay into another role in the NFL like the kid from Ohio State did recently.

Reactions: Scholz
The hard part for Swoopes is, he may not have a future as a qb in the NFL but he may have the size and athletic ability for another position like Blake Bell did. But being senior starter at UT at qb could parlay into another role in the NFL like the kid from Ohio State did recently.
I like Swoopes. I wish the best for him. I just don't see it at this point. He's had continual issues with reads as well as accuracy. Everybody raves about his "arm". Doesn't really matter if you can't hit the guy running deep. But maybe his confidence is better now. Maybe this new quick read offense is the thing. I'm not going to bet the farm on it though.

IT-TALKIN' BOUT PRACTICE

Media was allowed inside the bubble today to watch the third day of Longhorn spring practice. This was the first day the team was in full pads, and although practice was physical, there was no tackling allowed and players were told to stay up. It is the third day after all.

Back in action today was junior wide receiver Armanti Foreman, who I saw get dinged up during Monday’s practice. Foreman participated in every drill and played well at his normal Y, outside position. Freshman wideout Collin Johnson also continued to impress. He flashed his expansive catch radius throughout practice.

Speaking of catch radius, I came away impressed with sophomore Ryan Newsome’s catch radius. Despite being listed at 5’8”, he can make the catches that while taking an effort from him, are casual for taller receivers. This is crucial for him, and his burst and quickness in the open field are pivotal in this offense.

I also noted how violent sophomore linebacker Anthony Wheeler attacks in his drills. There’s no other way to describe Wheeler but jacked. He is just big. Also, freshman linebacker Cameron Townsend is listed at 222 lbs, and I believe it.

One of the things that being in full pads allows the team to do is the competitive 3 vs. 3 drill. In a battle of who can get lower, it tests who wants to beat the opponent in front of them. The team enjoys it, the coaches know it builds toughness, and it asks the team to use their best technique. Though my low angle prevented me from seeing specific winners and losers, I saw the offense celebrating a little bit more than the defense.

On the health front, sophomore linebacker Edwin Freeman and sophomore offensive tackle Connor Williams both appeared to get a little dinged up today. Both walked off gingerly. Freeman was limited the rest of practice, and Williams participated in a few more drills.

In a continuing theme from Monday, the wide receivers constantly look at an offensive assistant to receive the signals for the play they’re going to run, even when running against air. However, the offense looked a little bit sloppy with pads on today. I noticed a lot more dropped balls than on Monday. We saw that last year in practice and thought it would hamper the team, but for the most part hands were not an issue.

Charlie Strong pays a lot of attention to the offense. Sure, he’s a defensive coach, but he wants to see what offensive coordinator Sterlin Gilbert is up to. This is different from last year. This is likely Gilbert earning his way in to the exclusive circle of trust, and partially Strong game-planning both versus Gilbert and future competition.

One thing I noticed is how effective sophomore wide receiver DeAndre McNeal seems near the end zone. His size and ability to sit in space are lethal around the goal line, and the play design and throws have been on the money to allow him to basically sit in the end zone. Some guys are big for no reason; McNeal knows how to use his strengths.

At quarterback, in addition to Tyrone Swoopes, Jerrod Heard, and Shane Buechele, Matthew Merrick took reps during 7 on 7 and 11 on 11 action today. Merrick threw an accurate, crisp ball to receivers in the middle and on the outside. We'll see if he forces his way into the conversation. He has a strong arm and good feet.

One play stood out to me, and it came from two defensive players in the 2015 class. First, sophomore Kris Boyd jumped a slant and tipped it high in the air. Wheeler sat waiting under it, caught it , and brought it into the end zone. It was an athletic play by the elder Boyd, and while he is still battling for snaps with two solid defensive backs, he continues to make the coaches’ decision difficult.

From Monday to Thursday, the depth chart on both sides remained the same. The defensive two deep was the same with the exception of Jake McMillon taking snaps at defensive tackle.

The only battle that seems to be ongoing on the offensive line is between junior Brandon Hodges and sophomore Terrell Cuney for left guard. Cuney is a guy who won't go quietly. He plays with his hair on fire, is intelligent, and athletic. If he was Patrick Vahe's size, he'd be Patrick Vahe-ish. Hodges has better size and is pretty athletic. This competition is a good development overall for the team.

One last thing, I could tell there is some excitement surrounding this team based upon two former Longhorns who took in practice today, Peter Jinkens and Quan Cosby. That signals that two people, including one player trying to get ready for the NFL draft, think this team could have something going for them.

Reactions: Texas008
I like Swoopes. I wish the best for him. I just don't see it at this point. He's had continual issues with reads as well as accuracy. Everybody raves about his "arm". Doesn't really matter if you can't hit the guy running deep. But maybe his confidence is better now. Maybe this new quick read offense is the thing. I'm not going to bet the farm on it though.
I agree Scholz. I am hopeful that MOST of his issues were because he lacked confidence and maybe was trying to hard. He has an NFL arm no doubt. He does better it seems when he doesn't have to think about 50 things at once. Get the ball out there...if it is not there...Run. Could be his year. I just want a QB to step up and play like a QB playing for the University of Texas should play.

When it comes to QB, I would take a Senior with experience and limited talent over a more talented inexperienced under-classman any day of the week.

If Swoops can be a good game manager and hit a receiver on short plays, he will be effective. He is a strong runner and we have very good backs and receivers he can lean on.

Of course I would love to get another Major Applewhite or Vince Young, but until someone steps up and takes that mantle I'm pulling for Swoops to win the job.

This team isn't beating Notre Dame, but the rest of the conference and non-conference games are up for grabs. 8 wins is the floor, so I'll take this season as a work in progress.

Reactions: oldhorn2 and Scholz
Ha this sounds like a lot of Sooner fans last spring and even into summertime leading up to the beginning of the year. For a while It seemed like Knight was leading the competition for the starting qb position which was baffling considering how bad he looked the previous year and all we had heard about perm boy for the year he had been on the team was he was doing well. Any way not sure why it took a while for Mayfield to surpass Knight in fall camp but the rest is history. I believe if Knight was the starter last year OU goes 6-6 tops and that may be generous. So if Swoopes turns out to not be the starter, even though I think he will, there may be someone else ready to step up for the Horns much like Mayfield was able to do for us. I still think Mayfield has the best perm in the Big 12 by far though.

Ha this sounds like a lot of Sooner fans last spring and even into summertime leading up to the beginning of the year. For a while It seemed like Knight was leading the competition for the starting qb position which was baffling considering how bad he looked the previous year and all we had heard about perm boy for the year he had been on the team was he was doing well. Any way not sure why it took a while for Mayfield to surpass Knight in fall camp but the rest is history. I believe if Knight was the starter last year OU goes 6-6 tops and that may be generous. So if Swoopes turns out to not be the starter, even though I think he will, there may be someone else ready to step up for the Horns much like Mayfield was able to do for us. I still think Mayfield has the best perm in the Big 12 by far though.

Which is funny considering how all we heard about Knight from gooners was how he beat Alabama.

Which is funny considering how all we heard about Knight from gooners was how he beat Alabama.
UH well that was before he had that craptastic full season following the win against Alabama. I think it was reasonable to believe he would have a good season following the Alabama win. He didn't and the following year he got beat out by Perm boy. That's the great thing about open competition for positions.

Reactions: Scholz and westx

This.

And as much as makethingsupinretrospectbelldoucher wants you to believe his BS. Not a single sooner was rooting for Knight last offseason. Every damn one of them was calling Mayfield the savior.

This.

And as much as makethingsupinretrospectbelldoucher wants you to believe his BS. Not a single sooner was rooting for Knight last offseason. Every damn one of them was calling Mayfield the savior.
Yeah that's exactly my sentiments I stated above. The season after the Alabama win when he was the starter was horrible. Everyone was hoping Mayfield was the savior. What's your point?

- Obviously no practice this week, the players are on spring break. The team will re-convene spring practices Monday with 12 remaining prior to the spring game. At least two and possibly three of these practices will be "scrimmages" in a game setting.

- One person said that the sense of optimism and better-looking practices have as much to do with the coaching changes as anything else. Not for the difference in scheme, but for the personalities. Everyone knows that former OL coach Joe Wickline was a pretty bitter pill to swallow day after day but apparently hardly anyone on the team liked WR coach/OC?/half-season playcaller Jay Norvell, either. Coach Tommie Robinson was actually well-liked on the team, but new RBs coach Anthony Johnson is reportedly every bit as likable and energetic as a presence. In all, there seems to have been made a major upgrade in the work atmosphere for Texas football and I'm sure Charlie Strong wishes he had made the changes sooner.

- I've heard from two people this week who mentioned one name that was interesting, because he's not even taking part in spring practice: sophomore RB Kirk Johnson. One person, when I asked about thoughts on possible RB run distribution in 2016 said that he was a "beast, an animal," and another said of Johnson (unsolicited outside of asking about the running back group in general) that the Texas Tech game (in which D'Onta Foreman and Johnathan Gray were both injured) would have been a Kirk Johnson monster instead of a Chris Warren monster had Johnson not been injured early-on after a hot start.

It's just interesting that people are so excited about his return since he's thought of by most fans as third on the depth chart. Certainly something to keep on the radar. With all the recent buzz about his true-freshman brother (WR Collin), Kirk Johnson is another player we should be on the lookout for this summer and fall once he's out of the pit (right knee). I noticed Johnson at the open practice last Thursday and he was walking fine and looked perfectly stout and in-shape so he should be more than ready to go before fall camp.

- Speaking of Collin Johnson, apparently he truly is being thought of by some people around the program as being a probable day one starter at wideout. One person with knowledge of the situation said he believed that John Burt, Collin Johnson and Armanti Foreman seemed basically locked in to the starting roles in three-WR sets. As we know, there will be more true four-WR sets this season than last, possibly in as many as 35-40 percent of offensive snaps if install practices and Tulsa tape mean anything. The players in legitimate contention to emerge in the fourth role at inside receiver are Ryan Newsome, Lorenzo Joe and Deandre McNeal, it seems.

- Everyone you talk to still thinks Tyrone Swoopes will eventually be named the starting QB, it's not exactly breaking news at this point. Worries continue about Jerrod Heard's arm among some sources and some seem to think that Shane Buechele is more of a player of the future than the present. One person said that Buechele would be the best QB on campus once he put on some size, but wasn't sure if it would only take a few months before the start of 2016, or if he'd need a whole year. (Dunlap)

I was able to connect with a couple football team sources this week for quick conversations on the first few spring practices.

Nothing earth-shattering came up, but a couple notes ...

I've mentioned in our Ticket City OB podcasts that the thing that has stood out the most to me is how smoothly the offensive installation has gone. Even in the first practice, it seemed from the sidelines that the players and coaches all had a really good grasp of what Sterlin Gilbert is trying to do, and there weren't a lot of noticeable mental mistakes. In my mind, I'd wondered if even those on the team were a little surprised at how quickly everyone had picked things up.

"It's gone well but there's still a lot to learn. Some guys are still a little confused but that's pretty normal in the first few days," one source said. "But overall, yes, I'd say things have gone very well and everybody has picked it up pretty quickly."

The other big takeaway in my observations from the first week was the tempo at which the offensive coaches are running practice. It's hard to describe unless you've actually seen it, but the pace is so fast and there's so little time between snaps it can be pretty hard to keep up.

It sounds like the coaches are only scratching the surface, based off what I was told this week.

"It can still get a lot faster. And it will," a source said. (Suchomel)

Texas will resume its quarterback competition next week. All eyes will be on Tyrone Swoopes, Jerrod Heard and Shane Buechele. Those are the three quarterbacks battling to be named a starter this spring. Longhorn observers will eventually learn if Swoopes can prevent Heard or Buechele from taking his job. This battle will likely determine the immediate future of Texas football.

It may determine backup quarterback Kai Locksley’s future, too.

Locksley was expected to be a contender for playing time this season, but is either the fourth of fifth-string quarterback right now. During Texas’ practices last week, Locksley did not receive a team rep. In fact, Matthew Merrick received a team rep during practice last week, but Locksley was shut out. Locksley is definitely on the outside looking in, and it may be hard for him to recover.

Prior to spring practice, Texas coach Charlie Strong said the staff expected to figure out who might lead this team pretty quickly. They believed there would be a person who excelled, and are optimistic a starter will be named during the spring. So far, Swoopes has a slight edge. He has the strongest arm of any quarterback, plus he has experience. He is viewed as a safe option, even though Swoopes has not won the job.

Meanwhile, Heard is playing from behind for a second consecutive spring. Heard was unable to win the starting job during the 2015 offseason, but was given the opportunity to play after Swoopes struggled in the season opener. From what I have been told, Heard will be given more opportunities to win the job after spring break.

Buechele has a lot of potential, but is still young. Strong redshirted Heard and Locksley, and unless Buechele looks like the second coming of Teddy Bridgewater, or injuries hit the quarterback room, he will likely spend this season on the bench.

Then there is Locksley.

Right now, Locksley is fighting an uphill battle. He wants to play quarterback, but there are three passers in front of him right now. There is a chance things might change. However, that scenario seems unlikely if Swoopes, Heard and Buechele stay healthy. If the staff did not believe Locksley needed one rep during the first week of practice, it is hard to foresee him having a bigger workload between now and the spring game.

The easiest solution for Texas is to movie Locksley to receiver if he is not in the top three after the spring game. Swoopes, Heard and Buechele could serve as the primary passers, with Merrick as the emergency quarterback. Locksley could share the same emergency role receiver Lorenzo Joe had last season if he is switched positions. There are people in the building who believe Locksley could have an immediate impact as a receiver this season. The thought of John Burt, Deandre McNeal, Collin Johnson and Locksley as Texas’ primary receivers could arguably make this the most talented group of pass-catchers in the Big 12.

However, from what I have been told, Locksley is not interested in switching positions.

Locksley switched his commitment from Florida State to Texas before signing day because he was sold on the opportunity to play quarterback with the Longhorns. After quarterback Zach Gentry switched his commitment from Texas to Michigan, Locksley became the only quarterback signee in last year’s class. He was disappointed about not being given the opportunity to play after Heard struggled last season, and many people within the building were not pleased with how he communicated his dissatisfaction. As a result, Locksley did not travel with the team toward the end of last season.

Locksley is not receiving the playing time he envisioned this spring, and people within the building believe he needs to have a different demeanor when practice resumes. Instead of seeing Locksley's disappointment during practice, they want to see him engaged and eager to participate. Locksley runs the risk of alienating himself from the decision makers if he does not show a different attitude when practice resumes next week.

The good news for Longhorns fans is Locksley does not appear to be considering transferring to another school – right now.

From what I have been told, Locksley is still focused on finding a way to become relevant in the quarterback competition and catching up to Heard. He may not catch Swoopes by the end of spring practice, but would like to be in the top three. It does not appear Locksley is entertaining backup options because he still believes in himself as a quarterback. Time will tell if that belief keeps him at Texas, or causes Locksley to pursue playing quarterback at another school.

Longhorn fans just need to know this year’s quarterback battle will not only determine the future of their program, but Locksley’s fate at Texas. (Richardson)

Christmas-Giles putting in work so he can make an impact as a true freshman

The Texas Longhorns signed a terrific recruiting class in February, with Charlie Strong and staff bringing in a group that ranked among the best in college football.

It was a talented group overall, but the class may prove to be even more valuable than its ranking due to the fact that Texas signed a number of players at positions where the Longhorn program has very little depth. No position was more important than defensive tackle, where Texas loaded up with five signees.

It's a safe bet that more than one of those commitments will see the field in 2016, and D'andre Christmas-Giles is confident he'll be one of the true freshmen making an impact.

A Rivals100 member, Christmas-Giles played at about 290 pounds as a senior (on a 6-4 frame). He's been utilizing the workout plan and diet sent to him by the Texas strength and conditioning staff, and Christmas-Giles has seen quick results.

"I feel like I'm gaining more muscle," Christmas-Giles said. "I did gain some muscle. I'm at 305 pounds now, but still slim. I got faster too. I tested it. I ran a 5 flat, but the second time was a 4.9. I was running like a 5.1 or 5 flat before."

Christmas-Giles goes through the UT workout plan five days a week. Some of the exercises are things he had been doing previously, but he admits there are other elements to the workouts that are new to him and pretty difficult to master.

With five incoming defensive tackles, the battle for early playing time could very well come down to who puts in the most work in the off-season. Christmas-Giles stays in touch with the other UT signees but said he's only focused on his own efforts.

"I'm working hard right now. I'm not sure how hard the other guys are working. Nobody is really pushing each other, but we're all working," Christmas-Giles said. "I talk to them a lot though. I'm just going to come in there and work hard. I'm ready for it. I'm going to give it all I've got."

A four-star prospect, Christmas-Giles ranked as the nation's No. 83 prospect overall. The New Orleans St. Augustine product was ranked as the No. 3 overall prospect in the state of Louisiana.

Originally, Christmas-Giles made an early commitment to Tennessee but when his stock shot through the roof during his senior season, he decided to open up his recruitment. Despite heavy interest from a long list of schools, including LSU, Texas A&M and TCU (he took official visits to all three), Christmas-Giles had a pretty good idea all along that he'd wind up signing with Texas.

"I pretty knew for a while after I decommitted from Tennessee," Christmas-Giles said. "When I took my official visit (to Texas, it was so different, unique. I liked it. The coaches and players were really cool. I got really close with them. It's a nice city, a nice campus, a nice place to be."

Blessed with a quick first step to go along with his impressive frame, Christmas-Giles recorded 5 sacks and 49 total tackles in 11 games last year. He's hoping to carry that productivity over to the Forty Acres when he reports in late May.

"I'll bring a good attitude on the field. My style of play, my strength is my pass rush. I'm in the backfield a lot," Christmas-Giles said. "I don't know how it's going to be in college, but hopefully it will be the same at Texas."

- Obviously no practice this week, the players are on spring break. The team will re-convene spring practices Monday with 12 remaining prior to the spring game. At least two and possibly three of these practices will be "scrimmages" in a game setting.

- One person said that the sense of optimism and better-looking practices have as much to do with the coaching changes as anything else. Not for the difference in scheme, but for the personalities. Everyone knows that former OL coach Joe Wickline was a pretty bitter pill to swallow day after day but apparently hardly anyone on the team liked WR coach/OC?/half-season playcaller Jay Norvell, either. Coach Tommie Robinson was actually well-liked on the team, but new RBs coach Anthony Johnson is reportedly every bit as likable and energetic as a presence. In all, there seems to have been made a major upgrade in the work atmosphere for Texas football and I'm sure Charlie Strong wishes he had made the changes sooner.

- I've heard from two people this week who mentioned one name that was interesting, because he's not even taking part in spring practice: sophomore RB Kirk Johnson. One person, when I asked about thoughts on possible RB run distribution in 2016 said that he was a "beast, an animal," and another said of Johnson (unsolicited outside of asking about the running back group in general) that the Texas Tech game (in which D'Onta Foreman and Johnathan Gray were both injured) would have been a Kirk Johnson monster instead of a Chris Warren monster had Johnson not been injured early-on after a hot start.

It's just interesting that people are so excited about his return since he's thought of by most fans as third on the depth chart. Certainly something to keep on the radar. With all the recent buzz about his true-freshman brother (WR Collin), Kirk Johnson is another player we should be on the lookout for this summer and fall once he's out of the pit (right knee). I noticed Johnson at the open practice last Thursday and he was walking fine and looked perfectly stout and in-shape so he should be more than ready to go before fall camp.

- Speaking of Collin Johnson, apparently he truly is being thought of by some people around the program as being a probable day one starter at wideout. One person with knowledge of the situation said he believed that John Burt, Collin Johnson and Armanti Foreman seemed basically locked in to the starting roles in three-WR sets. As we know, there will be more true four-WR sets this season than last, possibly in as many as 35-40 percent of offensive snaps if install practices and Tulsa tape mean anything. The players in legitimate contention to emerge in the fourth role at inside receiver are Ryan Newsome, Lorenzo Joe and Deandre McNeal, it seems.

- Everyone you talk to still thinks Tyrone Swoopes will eventually be named the starting QB, it's not exactly breaking news at this point. Worries continue about Jerrod Heard's arm among some sources and some seem to think that Shane Buechele is more of a player of the future than the present. One person said that Buechele would be the best QB on campus once he put on some size, but wasn't sure if it would only take a few months before the start of 2016, or if he'd need a whole year. (Dunlap)

I was able to connect with a couple football team sources this week for quick conversations on the first few spring practices.

Nothing earth-shattering came up, but a couple notes ...

I've mentioned in our Ticket City OB podcasts that the thing that has stood out the most to me is how smoothly the offensive installation has gone. Even in the first practice, it seemed from the sidelines that the players and coaches all had a really good grasp of what Sterlin Gilbert is trying to do, and there weren't a lot of noticeable mental mistakes. In my mind, I'd wondered if even those on the team were a little surprised at how quickly everyone had picked things up.

"It's gone well but there's still a lot to learn. Some guys are still a little confused but that's pretty normal in the first few days," one source said. "But overall, yes, I'd say things have gone very well and everybody has picked it up pretty quickly."

The other big takeaway in my observations from the first week was the tempo at which the offensive coaches are running practice. It's hard to describe unless you've actually seen it, but the pace is so fast and there's so little time between snaps it can be pretty hard to keep up.

It sounds like the coaches are only scratching the surface, based off what I was told this week.

"It can still get a lot faster. And it will," a source said. (Suchomel)

Texas will resume its quarterback competition next week. All eyes will be on Tyrone Swoopes, Jerrod Heard and Shane Buechele. Those are the three quarterbacks battling to be named a starter this spring. Longhorn observers will eventually learn if Swoopes can prevent Heard or Buechele from taking his job. This battle will likely determine the immediate future of Texas football.

It may determine backup quarterback Kai Locksley’s future, too.

Locksley was expected to be a contender for playing time this season, but is either the fourth of fifth-string quarterback right now. During Texas’ practices last week, Locksley did not receive a team rep. In fact, Matthew Merrick received a team rep during practice last week, but Locksley was shut out. Locksley is definitely on the outside looking in, and it may be hard for him to recover.

Prior to spring practice, Texas coach Charlie Strong said the staff expected to figure out who might lead this team pretty quickly. They believed there would be a person who excelled, and are optimistic a starter will be named during the spring. So far, Swoopes has a slight edge. He has the strongest arm of any quarterback, plus he has experience. He is viewed as a safe option, even though Swoopes has not won the job.

Meanwhile, Heard is playing from behind for a second consecutive spring. Heard was unable to win the starting job during the 2015 offseason, but was given the opportunity to play after Swoopes struggled in the season opener. From what I have been told, Heard will be given more opportunities to win the job after spring break.

Buechele has a lot of potential, but is still young. Strong redshirted Heard and Locksley, and unless Buechele looks like the second coming of Teddy Bridgewater, or injuries hit the quarterback room, he will likely spend this season on the bench.

Then there is Locksley.

Right now, Locksley is fighting an uphill battle. He wants to play quarterback, but there are three passers in front of him right now. There is a chance things might change. However, that scenario seems unlikely if Swoopes, Heard and Buechele stay healthy. If the staff did not believe Locksley needed one rep during the first week of practice, it is hard to foresee him having a bigger workload between now and the spring game.

The easiest solution for Texas is to movie Locksley to receiver if he is not in the top three after the spring game. Swoopes, Heard and Buechele could serve as the primary passers, with Merrick as the emergency quarterback. Locksley could share the same emergency role receiver Lorenzo Joe had last season if he is switched positions. There are people in the building who believe Locksley could have an immediate impact as a receiver this season. The thought of John Burt, Deandre McNeal, Collin Johnson and Locksley as Texas’ primary receivers could arguably make this the most talented group of pass-catchers in the Big 12.

However, from what I have been told, Locksley is not interested in switching positions.

Locksley switched his commitment from Florida State to Texas before signing day because he was sold on the opportunity to play quarterback with the Longhorns. After quarterback Zach Gentry switched his commitment from Texas to Michigan, Locksley became the only quarterback signee in last year’s class. He was disappointed about not being given the opportunity to play after Heard struggled last season, and many people within the building were not pleased with how he communicated his dissatisfaction. As a result, Locksley did not travel with the team toward the end of last season.

Locksley is not receiving the playing time he envisioned this spring, and people within the building believe he needs to have a different demeanor when practice resumes. Instead of seeing Locksley's disappointment during practice, they want to see him engaged and eager to participate. Locksley runs the risk of alienating himself from the decision makers if he does not show a different attitude when practice resumes next week.

The good news for Longhorns fans is Locksley does not appear to be considering transferring to another school – right now.

From what I have been told, Locksley is still focused on finding a way to become relevant in the quarterback competition and catching up to Heard. He may not catch Swoopes by the end of spring practice, but would like to be in the top three. It does not appear Locksley is entertaining backup options because he still believes in himself as a quarterback. Time will tell if that belief keeps him at Texas, or causes Locksley to pursue playing quarterback at another school.

Longhorn fans just need to know this year’s quarterback battle will not only determine the future of their program, but Locksley’s fate at Texas. (Richardson)

Christmas-Giles putting in work so he can make an impact as a true freshman

The Texas Longhorns signed a terrific recruiting class in February, with Charlie Strong and staff bringing in a group that ranked among the best in college football.

It was a talented group overall, but the class may prove to be even more valuable than its ranking due to the fact that Texas signed a number of players at positions where the Longhorn program has very little depth. No position was more important than defensive tackle, where Texas loaded up with five signees.

It's a safe bet that more than one of those commitments will see the field in 2016, and D'andre Christmas-Giles is confident he'll be one of the true freshmen making an impact.

A Rivals100 member, Christmas-Giles played at about 290 pounds as a senior (on a 6-4 frame). He's been utilizing the workout plan and diet sent to him by the Texas strength and conditioning staff, and Christmas-Giles has seen quick results.

"I feel like I'm gaining more muscle," Christmas-Giles said. "I did gain some muscle. I'm at 305 pounds now, but still slim. I got faster too. I tested it. I ran a 5 flat, but the second time was a 4.9. I was running like a 5.1 or 5 flat before."

Christmas-Giles goes through the UT workout plan five days a week. Some of the exercises are things he had been doing previously, but he admits there are other elements to the workouts that are new to him and pretty difficult to master.

With five incoming defensive tackles, the battle for early playing time could very well come down to who puts in the most work in the off-season. Christmas-Giles stays in touch with the other UT signees but said he's only focused on his own efforts.

"I'm working hard right now. I'm not sure how hard the other guys are working. Nobody is really pushing each other, but we're all working," Christmas-Giles said. "I talk to them a lot though. I'm just going to come in there and work hard. I'm ready for it. I'm going to give it all I've got."

A four-star prospect, Christmas-Giles ranked as the nation's No. 83 prospect overall. The New Orleans St. Augustine product was ranked as the No. 3 overall prospect in the state of Louisiana.

Originally, Christmas-Giles made an early commitment to Tennessee but when his stock shot through the roof during his senior season, he decided to open up his recruitment. Despite heavy interest from a long list of schools, including LSU, Texas A&M and TCU (he took official visits to all three), Christmas-Giles had a pretty good idea all along that he'd wind up signing with Texas.

"I pretty knew for a while after I decommitted from Tennessee," Christmas-Giles said. "When I took my official visit (to Texas, it was so different, unique. I liked it. The coaches and players were really cool. I got really close with them. It's a nice city, a nice campus, a nice place to be."

Blessed with a quick first step to go along with his impressive frame, Christmas-Giles recorded 5 sacks and 49 total tackles in 11 games last year. He's hoping to carry that productivity over to the Forty Acres when he reports in late May.

"I'll bring a good attitude on the field. My style of play, my strength is my pass rush. I'm in the backfield a lot," Christmas-Giles said. "I don't know how it's going to be in college, but hopefully it will be the same at Texas."

From that update, how good could this RB core be?

We know D'Onta Foreman and Chris Warren are big bodies with speed that have shown production in their time on campus already.

But talk of Kirk Johnson.

And that blurb didn't even mention Kyle Porter who is just an incoming workhorse and football junkie. (probably bc he wasn't on campus at the time)

Are most Horn fans still predicting Swoopes to be the starter? Some pretty good videos being posted on ShaggyTexas. Charlie seems to be a big fan of the Oklahoma drill too.

Charlie riding a bike inside locker room. Is that a small bike? The players he rides by look huge..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT