ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Practice reports

hookem777

Dec 13, 2011
With spring practice coming up i figured we needed a forum for it!

who else will be there April 20th? Im bringing my 4 year old to her first experience at DKR to test the waters.

I am very concerned about the D line. We lost Murphy and Sweat and do not have comparable replacements. Going into the SEC, we are going to get run on. On top of this issue, we lost Bo Davis to LSU, unforgivable. The new guy is unproven. Not good bro.

I am very concerned about the D line. We lost Murphy and Sweat and do not have comparable replacements. Going into the SEC, we are going to get run on. On top of this issue, we lost Bo Davis to LSU, unforgivable. The new guy is unproven. Not good bro.
Bo Davis knows how to stay hot as a coach. When you lose two borderline first rounders the smart thing is to jump. He'll leave LSU after a few years as well. If you stay in one spot too long as a coach you'll get stuck in the mud eventually.

You don't have to have 2 more...just 2 more good enough. Bo Davis to LSU is understood based on family and alma mater...but, you are right...new guy has big shoes to fill and try and prove himself

They'll be fine. I don't remember anybody last season predicting Murphy to be a first round pick. Alfred Collins, Vernon Broughton, Aaron Bryant all played 250+ snaps last season and played really well. Alex January is at 320 right now and I believe he's good enough to play day 1. I watched him completely dominate in the state championship game against North Shore. Also have the kid who transferred in from Arizona. Sydir Mitchell also has had a year and an offseason in the program.

Our edges should be really good this year. Returned Sorrell, Burke, Finkley and Tapp and all played quite a bit last year. Added Trey Moore, who is a very good player to the mix. Then the younger guys like Colin Simmons and Colton Vasek as well.

I think with the additions we made in the secondary and Anthony Hill being in year 2 that our defense has the potential to be really good this year.

They'll be fine. I don't remember anybody last season predicting Murphy to be a first round pick. Alfred Collins, Vernon Broughton, Aaron Bryant all played 250+ snaps last season and played really well. Alex January is at 320 right now and I believe he's good enough to play day 1. I watched him completely dominate in the state championship game against North Shore. Also have the kid who transferred in from Arizona. Sydir Mitchell also has had a year and an offseason in the program.

Our edges should be really good this year. Returned Sorrell, Burke, Finkley and Tapp and all played quite a bit last year. Added Trey Moore, who is a very good player to the mix. Then the younger guys like Colin Simmons and Colton Vasek as well.

I think with the additions we made in the secondary and Anthony Hill being in year 2 that our defense has the potential to be really good this year.
We'll see. The only player with the ability to plug the middle in the SEC (not the b12) is Sydir Mitchel and his Spring report is that he is pushing 400 lbs of jiggle and is not ready. All the other dudes are role players and not quite there. Collins and Broughton are not NT's, they are pass rushers and lack run plugging ability.

We'll see. The only player with the ability to plug the middle in the SEC (not the b12) is Sydir Mitchel and his Spring report is that he is pushing 400 lbs of jiggle and is not ready. All the other dudes are role players and not quite there. Collins and Broughton are not NT's, they are pass rushers and lack run plugging ability.
Collins can absolutely play the 1T. Bryant played it some last year as well. Murphy played the nose a ton last year at 300 pounds.

Like I said, nobody last year envisioned Sweat and Murphy both being day 1 players in this years draft. We lost Coburn and Ojomo the year before that and thought there was no way we could replace those 2. This coaching staff is developing talent at a very high rate. Until they show me they can't do it, i'll continue to believe in them.

The reports I heard and read said it looked like we had multiple NFL players at every position on offense and defense. The way they have recruited and developed the last 3 years I definitely believe it.

This team is more than ready to compete in the SEC.

1st Team Offense:

QB – Quinn Ewers

RB – CJ Baxter

WR – Johntay Cook

WR – Isaiah Bond

Slot WR – DeAndre Moore

TE – Gunnar Helm

LT – Kelvin Banks

LG – Hayden Conner

C – Jake Majors

RG – DJ Campbell

RT – Cam Williams

2nd Team Offense:

QB – Arch Manning

RB – Jaydon Blue / Savion Red

WR – Matthew Golden

WR – Ryan Niblett

WR – Ryan Wingo

TE – Amari Niblack

LT – Trevor Goosby

LG – Neto Umeozulu

C – Connor Robertson

RG – Cole Hutson

RT – Andre Cojoe

Savion Red doesn’t look like he’s actually 240 lb, so if he is then he’s carrying it well.

Jordan Washington looked smooth and was physical in the blocking drills.

Deandre Moore will be hard to keep off the field, he looked “tremendously smooth in and out of cuts.” Wingo looks the part physically.

All 3 QBs had solid days. Ewers had a nice day passing deep connecting with Bond and Niblett. There were some drops by the younger receivers.

Defense

First Team:

EDGE – Barryn Sorrell

DT – Alfred Collins

NT – Vernon Broughton

EDGE – Ethan Burke

LB – Anthony Hill Jr.

LB – David Gbenda

nCB – Jahdae Barron

CB – Malik Muhammad

CB – Terrance Brooks

S – Michael Taaffe

S – Derek Williams

The second team was a mix of a lot of people but Trey Moore started with the second unit.

Sydir Mitchell didn’t have the best start and was asked to take a lap in the beginning. He was showing intensity at least.

Trey Moore doesn’t shock you with his physical size. Vasek and Zina Umeozulu look the most impressive physically at EDGE. Colin Simmons also looked tremendous and you can see how quick and smooth he is off the edge.

* Jaray Bledsoe looks like a DT now
* Alex January looks great. Hardly any bad weight
* Sydir Mitchell's body could still use some work.
* Vasek looked to be full-go.
* Tapp looks like he leaned up, will for sure be an edge.
* Zina looks good to start but will need time.
* Derion Gullette moves well laterally.
* Tyanthony Smith was active during special teams.
* Kendrick Blackshire is massive. Hardly looks like a linebacker.
* Taaffe and Derick Williams were running with the ones in pursuit drills.
* Roberson and Jelani McDonald looked somewhat developed. McDonald looked good at safety.
Terrance Brooks got bigger. Filsaime and Jelani McDonald move very well at the safety spot.

Collins can absolutely play the 1T. Bryant played it some last year as well. Murphy played the nose a ton last year at 300 pounds.

Like I said, nobody last year envisioned Sweat and Murphy both being day 1 players in this years draft. We lost Coburn and Ojomo the year before that and thought there was no way we could replace those 2. This coaching staff is developing talent at a very high rate. Until they show me they can't do it, i'll continue to believe in them.

The reports I heard and read said it looked like we had multiple NFL players at every position on offense and defense. The way they have recruited and developed the last 3 years I definitely believe it.

This team is more than ready to compete in the SEC.
I didn't have any questions on Sweat and Murphy. I knew they could play. Murphy jumped Collins and Broughton. I don't think we are going into the SEC with what will be required in the SEC.

I didn't have any questions on Sweat and Murphy. I knew they could play. Murphy jumped Collins and Broughton. I don't think we are going into the SEC with what will be required in the SEC.
🙄
The ship is sinking! Abandon now!
Glass half empty kind of guy.

Reactions: Hoookem722
🙄
The ship is sinking! Abandon now!
Glass half empty kind of guy.
Did I say that? No. I said that we need to get some better NT's. The SEC runs the ball a lot. If we can't tie up 2 lineman with an elite NT, that hurts the defense. At the moment, we don't have anyone that commands a doublt team. Sweat was always going to command a double team.

Did I say that? No. I said that we need to get some better NT's. The SEC runs the ball a lot. If we can't tie up 2 lineman with an elite NT, that hurts the defense. At the moment, we don't have anyone that commands a doublt team. Sweat was always going to command a double team.
Hopefully the right guy will feel a sudden urge to enter the portal where Texas will be waiting.

Not a chance in hell you were saying Byron Murphy was going to be a top 20 pick in this years draft. He was looked at as 5th-7th round pick at best. Same thing with Sweat. This staff is doing an incredible job of developing guys into NFL players.

Also it sounds like Torre Becton is doing an amazing job in the strength and conditioning program. That alone should give you some optimism.

I just don't see how you could be pessimistic coming off of last season and the way they have recruited since Sark has been here.

All I knew about Sweat was he was a big guy that had not done much. I think up to this point both Broughton and Collins have done more than Sweat did at the same point. I am much more concerned with the coaching change than I am with the new guys

Not a chance in hell you were saying Byron Murphy was going to be a top 20 pick in this years draft. He was looked at as 5th-7th round pick at best. Same thing with Sweat. This staff is doing an incredible job of developing guys into NFL players.

Also it sounds like Torre Becton is doing an amazing job in the strength and conditioning program. That alone should give you some optimism.

I just don't see how you could be pessimistic coming off of last season and the way they have recruited since Sark has been here.
And neither were you (Murphy), so stupid. I did know that he was good enough to start in the B12. I have some serious doubts about Collins and Broughton in the SEC. They have been lackluster throughout their time at Texas.

My spies are telling me that pass protection from our running backs is way below average. Lot of room for improvement there.
heard this too. Red is our best pass rush defender but he also is our least talented "skill back" Says the dude is 240 lbs? jesus Cody Johnson calm down.

• Haha
Reactions: HornDrummer
My spies are telling me that pass protection from our running backs is way below average. Lot of room for improvement there.
Heard the same thing. Baxter has the tools but not sure he’s got the will. Red definitely is not afraid of contact but looks more like a full back. Hopefully Bax develops some shit in his neck this spring.

Reactions: HornDrummer
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT