ADVERTISEMENT

2016 Season Running Thread

6_4493162.jpeg

After being cooped up in the dorm with all his players during Fall Camp,
Charlie Strong spots his wife at practice.

Baring some weird set of events, Swoopes has the nod.

I'm shaking my fvcking head but if I'm a head coach, I don't trot a fish out there for the first series unless I'm 100% positive he's nails. SB isn't nails yet.

Settle in folks- Swoopes is taking the first snap.

I'm the least concerned about Swoops taking the first snaps. I'd be happy with Swoops running the first few series before we let Shane in the ball game. Shane is the future, but he needs to be eased into the process, it would have been great for him to play a sister's of the poor first, before he gets to Notre Dame, but he has some good backs in front of him, all he needs to do is let the game slow down and he will be fine.

If we beat Notre Dame, it won't be on the play of the QB. I don't care who is starting, we beat them because we got lots of turnovers and we won the LOS battle on both sides of the ball.

Reactions: oldhorn2
I'd run 18 wheeler until they stopped it. Hell I'd run it 20 times in a row if we could get away with it. I know that's not realistic, but I'd try and pound the rock on them. We need to win the LOS and everything else takes care of itself. My biggest concern besides QB is starting a frosh at center. Don't underestimate the significance of the center position.

I'd do the opposite. I'd run quick slants and screens against these DB's until they stop it (run in short yardage). Once you've got linebackers running side to side you start pounding the rock.[/QUOTE]

Texas Running Backs....Stampede's A-Comin'!

D’Onta Foreman – D’Onta has size and speed. He’s a physical runner, unafraid of contact, but it’s his ‘long speed’ that catches your eye when breaking through to the 2nd-level. One hopes D’Onta’s in tip-top shape, as this offense will create creases for him and allow him to showcase his speed, outrunning defenders. A reason D’Onta may have been held out in season’s past was his pass protection. That will have to improve, especially considering the prospect of Shane Buechele starting.

Chris Warren – Much like D’Onta, Chris is big and powerful. Except, Chris is about 20 pounds heavier with just about as much speed as D’Onta (may be even). That is a scary mass of angry young man, one that even Malik Jefferson says he hates tackling! I can’t even imagine being asked to tackle Chris. They’d have to move the hospital closer to the field! It’s going to be fun picking apart film and catching linebackers and defensive backs trying to avoid tackling him. It will happen, more often than you think. Mark my words. The same pass protection issue holds true for Chris as well and for all the backs. So, I won’t mention it again.

Kirk Johnson – Kirk is an electric athlete. When I see him run, the impression I get is that his consciousness hasn’t caught up with his speed. Does that even make sense? Unfortunately for Kirk, he was injured last season, shortly after he exploded down the sideline, racing past his blocking, incredible. Kirk stands to make a huge difference this season in the new offense, as Gilbert will likely want a back that can reach the perimeter with ease or explode through interior creases and past safeties. If his hands are good, he and the other backs will also benefit from space conceded by defenses in the flat. The race will be on for Kirk. I just hope his body holds up and he’s responding well to the coaching.

Kyle Porter – This is a young man I’m very excited about. He was amazing in high school, though he did play for a powerhouse program. Nevertheless, he has some of the most impressive feet I’ve seen and runs with power. He’ll likely be behind Foreman and Warren, but according to reports, he’s definitely pushing Johnson for 3rd on the depth chart. It’ll be interesting to see how he adjusts to the college game. That’s all I’ll say about maybe the most talented back on the roster.

Tristan Houston – Houston has flown under the radar due to his red-shirt as well as the talented backs ahead of him on the depth chart. He’s also a talented runner himself and given the number of plays Gilbert likes to run, fans will likely see Houston more in 2016. Houston’s issue is likely related to maturity and size, if he’s packed on some good weight, there’s a good chance he’ll be ready to contribute.

Prediction – Overall, the running back roster is upgraded, mainly due to Johnson coming off injury, the addition of Porter, and added maturity of Houston.

[TFB]

D’Onta Foreman – D’Onta has size and speed. He’s a physical runner, unafraid of contact, but it’s his ‘long speed’ that catches your eye when breaking through to the 2nd-level. One hopes D’Onta’s in tip-top shape, as this offense will create creases for him and allow him to showcase his speed, outrunning defenders. A reason D’Onta may have been held out in season’s past was his pass protection. That will have to improve, especially considering the prospect of Shane Buechele starting.

Chris Warren – Much like D’Onta, Chris is big and powerful. Except, Chris is about 20 pounds heavier with just about as much speed as D’Onta (may be even). That is a scary mass of angry young man, one that even Malik Jefferson says he hates tackling! I can’t even imagine being asked to tackle Chris. They’d have to move the hospital closer to the field! It’s going to be fun picking apart film and catching linebackers and defensive backs trying to avoid tackling him. It will happen, more often than you think. Mark my words. The same pass protection issue holds true for Chris as well and for all the backs. So, I won’t mention it again.

Kirk Johnson – Kirk is an electric athlete. When I see him run, the impression I get is that his consciousness hasn’t caught up with his speed. Does that even make sense? Unfortunately for Kirk, he was injured last season, shortly after he exploded down the sideline, racing past his blocking, incredible. Kirk stands to make a huge difference this season in the new offense, as Gilbert will likely want a back that can reach the perimeter with ease or explode through interior creases and past safeties. If his hands are good, he and the other backs will also benefit from space conceded by defenses in the flat. The race will be on for Kirk. I just hope his body holds up and he’s responding well to the coaching.

Kyle Porter – This is a young man I’m very excited about. He was amazing in high school, though he did play for a powerhouse program. Nevertheless, he has some of the most impressive feet I’ve seen and runs with power. He’ll likely be behind Foreman and Warren, but according to reports, he’s definitely pushing Johnson for 3rd on the depth chart. It’ll be interesting to see how he adjusts to the college game. That’s all I’ll say about maybe the most talented back on the roster.

Tristan Houston – Houston has flown under the radar due to his red-shirt as well as the talented backs ahead of him on the depth chart. He’s also a talented runner himself and given the number of plays Gilbert likes to run, fans will likely see Houston more in 2016. Houston’s issue is likely related to maturity and size, if he’s packed on some good weight, there’s a good chance he’ll be ready to contribute.

Prediction – Overall, the running back roster is upgraded, mainly due to Johnson coming off injury, the addition of Porter, and added maturity of Houston.

[TFB]
Godz,
You have my respect, man. Anybody with more "Likes" than "messages" delivers the goods.

[TFB]

Can't wait to see this kid play in a game. Watched him at fan day during the practice and couldn't believe his foot work and speed for his size. I see some big plays from #21 coming soon.

Reactions: westx
I'd do the opposite. I'd run quick slants and screens against these DB's until they stop it (run in short yardage). Once you've got linebackers running side to side you start pounding the rock.
[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Conversely, if I'm ND I press my corners. The worst thing that could happen (from ND's perspective) is to let a true frosh QB get comfortable by completing some easy routes.

Young Defensive Linemen: Nothing really knew here but spoke with a source recently who reitterated that freshman nose tackle, Gerald Wilbon and freshman defensive tackle, D’Andre Christmas have really stood out among the young defensive linemen. Wilbon has been praised for his ability to sit down in the middle and really be that immovable force and Christmas has flashed the quickness that was so apparent when he was in high school.

Also, in case you missed it, freshman DT, Chris Daniels has been back at practice and is trimmed down from his roster listed weight of 335 lbs.

Wide Receivers: As I reporter earlier this week, Armanti Foreman has returned to practice after suffering an ankle injury. His return has shaken some things up as far as the WR reps.

I was told that Foreman is getting some work in the slot. Before his return it was Jacory Warrick, Devin Duvernay, Jerrod Heard, and Davion Curtis in the slot. I was told that Foreman taking some reps in the slot has cut the reps of Heard/Duvernay/Curtis a bit. Foreman and Warrick are getting the most work there. Foreman is just another example of a WR being cross trained to play both outside and in the slot.

[TFB]

Two weeks ago, Orangebloods informed the Longhorn fan base Tyrone Swoopes was not an afterthought in fall camp, but actually winning the quarterback battle against Shane Buechele. The ensuing meltdown by fans and media members was not expected, but understandable. Nearly every Longhorn observer believed it was just a matter of time before Buechele was officially named the opening-day starter. Everyone was content to see Swoopes play in the 18-wheeler package, but nothing else.

Since that report, every website in the market has said Swoopes is in the lead and will likely start next week. Obviously, there is still a little debate about how far ahead Swoopes really is in the competition. From the start, I reported Swoopes was far ahead of Buechele, according to my sources. Some reporters maintain the battle was close. Honestly, there is no need to battle other writers. Once again, we will stand by our original report.

On a personal note, the war between reporters was unnecessary. I have always believed reporters should just let their work speak for them. This is a tough business, and it is hard to be right 100 percent of the time. No matter what was said about me on Orangebloods, or any other message board, I never took it personally. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if it is expressed in a hostile manor.

However, I will address one topic that has been raised more than once on our message board recently. More than one person has questioned if there is some sort of rift on the staff because most assistants want Buechele instead of Swoopes. That assertion not only indicates Buechele outperformed Swoopes in camp, but Texas coach Charlie Strong has lost control of his team.

From what I have been told, everyone is on the same page when it comes to the quarterback decision.

Barring a last-minute change prior to Texas’ season opener against Notre Dame – and everyone knows anything can happen – Swoopes will likely start. It appears the staff will enter the season opener as a unified front contrary to a divided group of individuals.

The decision to play Swoopes has a lot to do with his previous playing experience, even if he has struggled in the past. There is a belief that Swoopes will be able to handle playing in primetime against a nationally-ranked team, better than Buechele will. In addition, there is optimism Swoopes will play with more confidence because of the 18-Wheeler package in which he excelled last year. As the season opener gets closer, there is a little concern about Buechele’s first start coming against a very good team.

Even though few have been willing to admit it, Swoopes has grasped the new offense and played well in practice. He did not look good in the spring game, but has excelled in practice this fall. Even though Buechele looked great in the spring game, Buechele told reporters it would just be one part of the evaluation process.

Even if Swoopes does start, it appears Buechele will see action against Notre Dame. However, I have not received a definitive response about what might happen if Swoopes is actually having success against Notre Dame. Clearly, if Texas defeats Notre Dame, nobody will question the move. I was told Swoopes will have a short leash, but it remains to be seen what will happen during the game. The game flow will ultimately dictate playing time for both quarterbacks.

Obviously, the injuries to offensive lineman Tristan Nickelson, Zach Shackelford and Patrick Vahe have become the biggest offensive stories heading into the Notre Dame game. Starting a freshman quarterback against a banged up offensive line is not the ideal situation. Nevertheless, we will see how Strong and Gilbert approach the season opener next Sunday (Richardson)

After weeks of practice, some college coaches reward their players with time off. Overall, it is not a bad idea. The majority of players take advantage of having a day off. However, there are always a few people who ruin it for everyone else.

Notre Dame’s fall camp ended last week, and six players were arrested for misconduct. In fact, trouble also hit Texas A&M and FSU this past weekend. No coach likes to see his program in the news for negative attention. Those problems can led to distractions within the team, especially when the events occur before the regular season opener

Well, Strong will do his best to avoid negative headlines this weekend.

Instead of giving players a day off this weekend, Texas will hold practice on Saturday. Strong has held practice the Saturday before his team’s season opener since his head coaching days at Louisville. It gives the team another day to prepare for the season opener, plus provides an activity to his guys occupied.

The strategy may not always work, but Strong does his best to make sure his players avoid negative publicity. (Richardson)

I checked in with one of my sources and asked about Manor linebacker Erick Fowler. So far, there is not much to report after a few days of practice.

From what I have been told, everyone is please with Fowler’s attitude, work ethic and style of play. The biggest issue Fowler faces right now is catching up with his teammates.

Fowler missed spring practice, summer workouts and most of the fall camp because he was working in the classroom to get into Texas. He hit the practice field for the first time this week, and Fowler does not have a large body of work too judge. Fowler looks good, but everyone wants to give him more time before making an assessment.

For now, the best thing to say everyone is happy he to see Fowler at practice, and they are patiently waiting for him to develop (Richardson)

- Freshman DE/LB Erick Fowler is at practice and now working out after being acclimatized in as a late-enrollee last week. A source said he was working at the WILL LB opposite MIKE Cameron Townsend with the third defensive group.

- We've reported in an early editions of theWar Roomon Thursday that LG Patrick Vahe "got rolled up on" in practice. We will obviously continue looking for further details. If Vahe is forced out of action (still unknown), don't be surprised to see Brandon Hodges slight over to left guard with Nickelson sliding back into his starting right tackle spot (assuming Nickelson is healthy). The center position will come down to either Shackleford or Jake McMillon).

- RT Tristan Nickelson and C Zach Shackelford remain in the pit with injuries we were also originally told were both minor. With LG Patrick Vahe facing an uncertain situation coming into game week, the offensive line's two truly healthy starters are RG Kent Perkins and LT Connor Williams. (At least they are arguably the two players you would want healthy if having to choose two out of five).

- DB John Bonney had a nice interception today per a source off of QB Tyrone Swoopes, but got injured on the play. Bonney is out of contention for the nickel corner spot he held down last season versus Notre Dame in the opener.

- Speaking of the nickel corner spot, OB first reported on Wednesday that it looked like junior CB Antwuan Davis was making a move in taking over the starting nickel spot as one source said he got all the reps with the ones while presumed starter, sophomore PJ Locke, worked exclusively with the twos. It's looking like Davis is on pace to open up the 2016 season atop the depth chart at nickel.

- One source said that Davis is "like dynamite" to the receiver's catch-point. It seems his recent move up the depth chart has had to do - at least some - with a few splash plays in practice. We'll be interested to see if it sticks and if Davis is indeed listed as No. 1 next Monday on the official depth chart at Coach Strong's availability.

- QB Shane Buechele has reportedly had a few good days in a row. On Wednesday, it was apparently a really good day. A source said Tyrone Swoopes struggled in his first series, just to have Buechele come in with the second group and literally throw a TD bomb on his first play of team drills. Drop-the-mic stuff. On Thursday, Buechele had some nice moments as well, but just as importantly, a couple of costly plays that would have been "pick 6 down the side line" versus Notre Dame per a source.

- The RT position in the absence of Tristan Nickelson has been a revolving door with junior JUCO transfer Brandon Hodges leading the way. Lots of younger players are getting reps, though. Freshmen Denzel Okafor and Patrick Hudson were players we'd reported previously as getting work with the ones but on Thursday we were told on Thursday that RS FR Garrett Thomas was getting a few looks with the first group himself. (Dunlap)

Strong holds his weekly press conference today at 11 and depth chart should be released.

Two weeks ago, Orangebloods informed the Longhorn fan base Tyrone Swoopes was not an afterthought in fall camp, but actually winning the quarterback battle against Shane Buechele. The ensuing meltdown by fans and media members was not expected, but understandable. Nearly every Longhorn observer believed it was just a matter of time before Buechele was officially named the opening-day starter. Everyone was content to see Swoopes play in the 18-wheeler package, but nothing else.

Since that report, every website in the market has said Swoopes is in the lead and will likely start next week. Obviously, there is still a little debate about how far ahead Swoopes really is in the competition. From the start, I reported Swoopes was far ahead of Buechele, according to my sources. Some reporters maintain the battle was close. Honestly, there is no need to battle other writers. Once again, we will stand by our original report.

On a personal note, the war between reporters was unnecessary. I have always believed reporters should just let their work speak for them. This is a tough business, and it is hard to be right 100 percent of the time. No matter what was said about me on Orangebloods, or any other message board, I never took it personally. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if it is expressed in a hostile manor.

However, I will address one topic that has been raised more than once on our message board recently. More than one person has questioned if there is some sort of rift on the staff because most assistants want Buechele instead of Swoopes. That assertion not only indicates Buechele outperformed Swoopes in camp, but Texas coach Charlie Strong has lost control of his team.

From what I have been told, everyone is on the same page when it comes to the quarterback decision.

Barring a last-minute change prior to Texas’ season opener against Notre Dame – and everyone knows anything can happen – Swoopes will likely start. It appears the staff will enter the season opener as a unified front contrary to a divided group of individuals.

The decision to play Swoopes has a lot to do with his previous playing experience, even if he has struggled in the past. There is a belief that Swoopes will be able to handle playing in primetime against a nationally-ranked team, better than Buechele will. In addition, there is optimism Swoopes will play with more confidence because of the 18-Wheeler package in which he excelled last year. As the season opener gets closer, there is a little concern about Buechele’s first start coming against a very good team.

Even though few have been willing to admit it, Swoopes has grasped the new offense and played well in practice. He did not look good in the spring game, but has excelled in practice this fall. Even though Buechele looked great in the spring game, Buechele told reporters it would just be one part of the evaluation process.

Even if Swoopes does start, it appears Buechele will see action against Notre Dame. However, I have not received a definitive response about what might happen if Swoopes is actually having success against Notre Dame. Clearly, if Texas defeats Notre Dame, nobody will question the move. I was told Swoopes will have a short leash, but it remains to be seen what will happen during the game. The game flow will ultimately dictate playing time for both quarterbacks.

Obviously, the injuries to offensive lineman Tristan Nickelson, Zach Shackelford and Patrick Vahe have become the biggest offensive stories heading into the Notre Dame game. Starting a freshman quarterback against a banged up offensive line is not the ideal situation. Nevertheless, we will see how Strong and Gilbert approach the season opener next Sunday (Richardson)

After weeks of practice, some college coaches reward their players with time off. Overall, it is not a bad idea. The majority of players take advantage of having a day off. However, there are always a few people who ruin it for everyone else.

Notre Dame’s fall camp ended last week, and six players were arrested for misconduct. In fact, trouble also hit Texas A&M and FSU this past weekend. No coach likes to see his program in the news for negative attention. Those problems can led to distractions within the team, especially when the events occur before the regular season opener

Well, Strong will do his best to avoid negative headlines this weekend.

Instead of giving players a day off this weekend, Texas will hold practice on Saturday. Strong has held practice the Saturday before his team’s season opener since his head coaching days at Louisville. It gives the team another day to prepare for the season opener, plus provides an activity to his guys occupied.

The strategy may not always work, but Strong does his best to make sure his players avoid negative publicity. (Richardson)

I checked in with one of my sources and asked about Manor linebacker Erick Fowler. So far, there is not much to report after a few days of practice.

From what I have been told, everyone is please with Fowler’s attitude, work ethic and style of play. The biggest issue Fowler faces right now is catching up with his teammates.

Fowler missed spring practice, summer workouts and most of the fall camp because he was working in the classroom to get into Texas. He hit the practice field for the first time this week, and Fowler does not have a large body of work too judge. Fowler looks good, but everyone wants to give him more time before making an assessment.

For now, the best thing to say everyone is happy he to see Fowler at practice, and they are patiently waiting for him to develop (Richardson)

- Freshman DE/LB Erick Fowler is at practice and now working out after being acclimatized in as a late-enrollee last week. A source said he was working at the WILL LB opposite MIKE Cameron Townsend with the third defensive group.

- We've reported in an early editions of theWar Roomon Thursday that LG Patrick Vahe "got rolled up on" in practice. We will obviously continue looking for further details. If Vahe is forced out of action (still unknown), don't be surprised to see Brandon Hodges slight over to left guard with Nickelson sliding back into his starting right tackle spot (assuming Nickelson is healthy). The center position will come down to either Shackleford or Jake McMillon).

- RT Tristan Nickelson and C Zach Shackelford remain in the pit with injuries we were also originally told were both minor. With LG Patrick Vahe facing an uncertain situation coming into game week, the offensive line's two truly healthy starters are RG Kent Perkins and LT Connor Williams. (At least they are arguably the two players you would want healthy if having to choose two out of five).

- DB John Bonney had a nice interception today per a source off of QB Tyrone Swoopes, but got injured on the play. Bonney is out of contention for the nickel corner spot he held down last season versus Notre Dame in the opener.

- Speaking of the nickel corner spot, OB first reported on Wednesday that it looked like junior CB Antwuan Davis was making a move in taking over the starting nickel spot as one source said he got all the reps with the ones while presumed starter, sophomore PJ Locke, worked exclusively with the twos. It's looking like Davis is on pace to open up the 2016 season atop the depth chart at nickel.

- One source said that Davis is "like dynamite" to the receiver's catch-point. It seems his recent move up the depth chart has had to do - at least some - with a few splash plays in practice. We'll be interested to see if it sticks and if Davis is indeed listed as No. 1 next Monday on the official depth chart at Coach Strong's availability.

- QB Shane Buechele has reportedly had a few good days in a row. On Wednesday, it was apparently a really good day. A source said Tyrone Swoopes struggled in his first series, just to have Buechele come in with the second group and literally throw a TD bomb on his first play of team drills. Drop-the-mic stuff. On Thursday, Buechele had some nice moments as well, but just as importantly, a couple of costly plays that would have been "pick 6 down the side line" versus Notre Dame per a source.

- The RT position in the absence of Tristan Nickelson has been a revolving door with junior JUCO transfer Brandon Hodges leading the way. Lots of younger players are getting reps, though. Freshmen Denzel Okafor and Patrick Hudson were players we'd reported previously as getting work with the ones but on Thursday we were told on Thursday that RS FR Garrett Thomas was getting a few looks with the first group himself. (Dunlap)
So, let me get this straight. According to the writer, Swoopes is far better than Buchele, but Strong still plans to play Buchele anyway.
Then a few sentences later, he alludes that Swoopes is getting the nod because he has game experience.
He also says the whole staff agrees on this completely contradictory evaluation of the QB's.
I'm calling this what it is. Strong doesn't want to start Buchele because even though he is better, he is inexperienced. He's going to put Swoopes on the field and pray he can move the chains. If/when we see Buchele, he is likely going to be playing his first snaps trying to mount a comeback.

Yep. must be skeered. So, lets start with key personal he has started as freshmen?

LT Williams, LB Jefferson, WR Burt...in the first game mind you.

Maybe he will start RS sophomore at Center instead of the true freshmen to help that argument.

Yep. must be skeered. So, lets start with key personal he has started as freshmen?

LT Williams, LB Jefferson, WR Burt...in the first game mind you.
Call it what you want to call it. You can start freshman WR with little threat of them causing a costly turnover. Jefferson was/is a special talent who way way ahead of the typical freshman, and again, unlikely to have a drastic effect on the game with a negative play. Williams was a surprise to everyone, but lets be honest, who else was he going to play? Scared, hesitant, conservative, loyal...whatever the reason, it makes no sense to play Buchele if Swoopes is truly the clear better option.

Just to keep ya guessing Horn...

I'm going with: If Swoopes starts, that means he improved, learned & earned coaches' trust. This offense fits his abilities as an athlete!

He's not likely to name a starter until Sunday night!

Last edited:
Just to keep ya guessing Horn...

I'm going with: If Swoopes starts, that means he improved, learned & earned coaches' trust. This offense fits his abilities as an athlete!

He's not likely to name a starter until Sunday night!
He has to have looked better than what we have seen in years past and the spring game. No coach is crazy enough to put that guy back on the field. But Swoopes has always been a better QB in practice.
Any news on Vahe, Shackleford, or Nicholson?

He has to have looked better than what we have seen in years past and the spring game. No coach is crazy enough to put that guy back on the field. But Swoopes has always been a better QB in practice.
Any news on Vahe, Shackleford, or Nicholson?
They'll be ready to "roll", maybe... Ankles, especially high ankle sprains, suck!

Nickleson is practicing, Shack gets worked back in this week and Vahe should be practicing by tomorrow.

We're not going to see a depth chart until the end of the week.

Last edited:
Reactions: horn01
As I've mentioned:

Charlie Strong on Gilbert's power - "Those guys put together the game plan. That's not who I am. Gilbert has total control." #Texas #HookEm

That was an interesting press conference.

Usually nothing can be taken from them, but not this one.

I took note of 3-4 things that grabbed my attention & was surprised to hear said.

That was an interesting press conference.

Usually nothing can be taken from them, but not this one.

I took note of 3-4 things that grabbed my attention & was surprised to hear said.
He laughs off pressers and never plays to the media. The point that is going to stick in the craw of some folks is that the starter will be the starter and WILL get a bulk of the snaps. He likes to turn things around like he did a question about SB which he turned into freshmen having no idea what they're walking into on Sunday night.

Reactions: Godz40Acrez
They'll be ready to "roll", maybe... Ankles, especially high ankle sprains, suck!

Nickleson is practicing, Shack gets worked back in this week and Vahe should be practicing by tomorrow.

We're not going to see a depth chart until the end of the week.
Good news on the O line. Strong said they are all around 80% right now but he expects them to be 100% by Sunday. Even getting one or two back is better than missing all three for the whole game. Should take some pressure off the QB, who ever it is, if we can run effectively

He laughs off pressers and never plays to the media. The point that is going to stick in the craw of some folks is that the starter will be the starter and WILL get a bulk of the snaps. He likes to turn things around like he did a question about SB which he turned into freshmen having no idea what they're walking into on Sunday night.
I'm not too worried about that, mainly because I don't believe it. If our offense is a three and out fest because Swoopes can't hit open receivers, there is no way they leave him in the game.

Per TFB:
Team Note | Offensive Line Injuries: I feel like this is the first positive offensive line update since fall camp began, but here it is. I was told by a source that Tristan Nickelson (ankle) was back at practice over the weekend and worked with the 1’s at RT and looks to be back at 100%.

Center Zach Shackelford still hasnt returned to practice but I was told that he is on track to return this week. I talked to a source early in the weekend and they told me he’s “around 80-85%”.While it is a positve development that he’s getting healthy, the question is wheather he’s missed too much time to start at center vs Notre Dame. As a true freshman coming off an injury that’s kept him off the field for a few weeks, it seems like a tough task for him to go out and handle a very talented Notre Dame DL.

Patrick Vahe’s ankle injury didn’t seem too severe at all. I heard he wasn’t even in a walking boot a few days after he went down. Nickelson and Shackelford were in boots for at least a week after their injuries. It sounds like Vahe should be good to go vs Notre Dame.

One possible concern about the OL right now is the lack of practice time as a unit over the last few weeks due to all the injuries. – (Andrew)

– Team Note | Fatigue: Texas RB D’Onta Foreman was asked over the weekend when he spoke to the media if the team didn’t really have ‘their legs’ after the rigorous fall camp schedule, and he said that was true. He wasn’t lying. The team has practiced everyday except Sunday for most weeks during fall camp and practiced everyday last week. While it seems Charlie Strong may be pushing his guys rather hard with their season opener fast approaching, I wouldn’t be worried. That’s how he’s been with his team since his days at Louisville.

I do expect things to be less physical this week as Texas gets ready for their season opener in 6 days. – (Andrew)

Team Note | Wide Receivers: Spoke with a source regarding where things stand with the wide reciever rotation going into game week and which of the young wide receivers would redshirt.

I’m told Reggie Hemphill-Mapps will redshirt.

I’m also told that Davion Curtis might redshirt but it doesn’t appear that’s been fully decided.

Starters on the outside, not surprisingly, will be Collin Johnson and Burt.

I’m told to expect Foreman and Heard to start inside (assuming they’re in 10 personnel). Foreman is also set to run outside behind Johnson. Dorian will rotate behind Burt. And Warrick and Duvernay will rotate behind Foreman and Heard respectively (inside). If they rotate further then look for guys like Locksley and Oliver inside and Joe and Humphrey outside. – (Super K)

The team fatigue came up in Strong's press conference. Strong dismissed it with something about there is now depth to rotate guys. He may have said something about game day adrenaline too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT