ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Thread

I like the early signing period, but miss the drama and excitement of NSD.

Yep, if you want to "shock the world" you better do it on NSD1 because no one is listening today. All the classes are pretty well set.

So do we expect to end up in the top three in recruiting at this point? Be interesting to see. Not that it means we are ‘back’ but it is nice to have consistent top classes and a major bowl win considering our recent past. Great job TH and staff! Hook’em!

I think the teams of the deep south play a different game when it comes to recruiting not always published to the press,$$$.

This brings up something I've been paying attention to for the past few months. I'm speaking of this IMG academy in Bradenton, Fl. For all intents and purposes it resembles a minor league team sending up players to big leagues. Except in this case it's a boarding school for sending fb players off to P5 schools. It's not coed, there ate no cheerleaders, no marching bands, no friends or family watching their games. Its basically just scouts. When they're not working on fb they're in study halls where I've read it's very strict. You know getting them qualified to get into school. Now here's the rub. Almost all those kids go to SEC schools. To be fair ND's star rb is from there and USC signed a player today. But like I said it's almoat all SEC. In fact at least a couple of their players make the rivals top 30 every year.The IMG has not been around very long. This whole thing doesn't pass the smell test with me. Did the SEC or other conferences find a way around the system? I'm still learning about this school but something isn't right.

This brings up something I've been paying attention to for the past few months. I'm speaking of this IMG academy in Bradenton, Fl. For all intents and purposes it resembles a minor league team sending up players to big leagues. Except in this case it's a boarding school for sending fb players off to P5 schools. It's not coed, there ate no cheerleaders, no marching bands, no friends or family watching their games. Its basically just scouts. When they're not working on fb they're in study halls where I've read it's very strict. You know getting them qualified to get into school. Now here's the rub. Almost all those kids go to SEC schools. To be fair ND's star rb is from there and USC signed a player today. But like I said it's almoat all SEC. In fact at least a couple of their players make the rivals top 30 every year.The IMG has not been around very long. This whole thing doesn't pass the smell test with me. Did the SEC or other conferences find a way around the system? I'm still learning about this school but something isn't right.

And I just did some looking round. All the big boy southern schools have players from IMG. AL, GA, LSU, FSU, AR, and of course Clemson. And they have at least a half dozen 5* recruits this year!!!! I'll bet there isn't one high school with two 5* let alone 6. Do you realize how impossible that is without breaking rules? Interestingly the cow college doesn't have one this year. I'm a bit surprised with Jimbo's FSU's connections and all.

I'm just glad you used this phrase correctly! Drives me crazy!

It's a system that's been around for a long time, especially out west and up north. High school Basketball Academy's have been doing it for decades. IMG started as a tennis facility and found football was way more marketable and profitable. IMG was looking into making a Texas campus and expanding their brand a couple years ago, but the THSCA blocked it by thousands of hs coaches signing a petition. This year we blocked letting TAPPS and/or other private schools into the UIL to compete against public schools in district, playoffs, and state. It's an ever changing battle that we will eventually lose and the integrity of texas hs athletics will lose its luster and become private school dominated like Cali, FLA, and East Coast. IMO it's just a matter of time

It's a system that's been around for a long time, especially out west and up north. High school Basketball Academy's have been doing it for decades. IMG started as a tennis facility and found football was way more marketable and profitable. IMG was looking into making a Texas campus and expanding their brand a couple years ago, but the THSCA blocked it by thousands of hs coaches signing a petition. This year we blocked letting TAPPS and/or other private schools into the UIL to compete against public schools in district, playoffs, and state. It's an ever changing battle that we will eventually lose and the integrity of texas hs athletics will lose its luster and become private school dominated like Cali, FLA, and East Coast. IMO it's just a matter of time
Agreed. But it's going to tale some time. And what will happen is you'll have private schools in Texas with so much freaking money because boosters will start to "club up" with each other and pooling their donations and you could see elite academies in Dallas, Houston, SA etc. Austin probably won't go that way because of the politics inside the Austin city system.

Reactions: CoachEmUp64
So just a little history on IMG. It started off as a tennis academy. I was there in 06 and they had tennis, golf, basketball, baseball and soccer. They were basically a boarding school but they didn't have any teachers on staff. The kids did all their coursework through online private schools. Sometime between 05-08 the NCAA changed the eligibility rules and it forced them to open a school on academy grounds. Now they have tennis, golf, baseball, basketball, football, lacrosse, track and field and soccer. They still make most of their money on tennis and golf. Tons of parents shelling out 80 grand a year because they think their kid is going to be something special.

So just a little history on IMG. It started off as a tennis academy. I was there in 06 and they had tennis, golf, basketball, baseball and soccer. They were basically a boarding school but they didn't have any teachers on staff. The kids did all their coursework through online private schools. Sometime between 05-08 the NCAA changed the eligibility rules and it forced them to open a school on academy grounds. Now they have tennis, golf, baseball, basketball, football, lacrosse, track and field and soccer. They still make most of their money on tennis and golf. Tons of parents shelling out 80 grand a year because they think their kid is going to be something special.

I assume that it costs the same for each kid no matter what sports they play at IMG? If so, how do some of these kids that go there to play football pay for it? Do $EC schools supplement payments for these kids?

Reactions: outhereincali
I assume that it costs the same for each kid no matter what sports they play at IMG? If so, how do some of these kids that go there to play football pay for it? Do $EC schools supplement payments for these kids?

The good ones get scholarships, the average ones pick up the tab. Wouldn't doubt the SEC pays for some it in a round about way.

The good ones get scholarships, the average ones pick up the tab. Wouldn't doubt the SEC pays for some it in a round about way.

I'm thinking the same thing. Why has most of their elite talent ended up at southern schools? I mean when you look at how the SEC, FSU, and Clemson have dominated.the college fb landscape in the last 15 years due in part to these players from the IMG academy something isn't right. Now no SEC school is dumb enough to get their hands on this, but I'm convinced that boosters from SEC schools are doing something illegal. Like I said I can't prove it but I'm certain it's being done. Oh and I almost forgot most of those fb players are from southern states

Reactions: LonghornMM
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT