ADVERTISEMENT

Announcement: A heartfelt sendoff and a look ahead to the future

Damn , I told everyone I knew that a prestigious writer had joined OB when you came on board. I think I got 100 or so to join because of it;-)

Sad to see you go, but this is a great site and I'm just happy to be here.

Reply to thread

Re: Announcement: A heartfelt sendoff and a look ahead to the future[/URL]ChipBrown posted on 4/23/2014...

Originally posted by anwason:
chip, it sucks to see you go but we don't get many opportunities in life to truly get those surreal gigs so I'm glad to see you taking that chance. you were a beast with it..unflappable to scrutiny. you'll excel no matter what bro!! good luck!!

Will you have to move from atx?

Posted from wireless.rivals.com
Staying in ATX

-------------------------------------------------------

underated reply
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Congrats Chip.

Originally posted by Ketchum:

Originally posted by meesch:
Ketch, please re-consider looking towards the NFL. There are a thousand really good NFL message boards, but I think most people subscribe to OB for information about Longhorn sports. I think it would be much more prudent for you to focus on why we pay you for your service. If I want NFL info, I'll go to my teams site. If I want Horns info, I'll come here. Please don't change that.
I'm talking about an quality NFL-level writer, experienced in a professional-level beat/coverage, with a reputation of breaking stories.
Ok, that eliminates Cosell. I'm going w/ Gosselin. What do I win?

Originally posted by Pauln722:

Chip-Thanks for keeping us informed of the Potential Big Moves in the UT universe the last few years. Thanks for letting us know what you knew; especially concerning conference changes and coaching changes.
Ketch--Great Bosses give their employees the freedom to grow. When it's time for them to 'fly away', you 'Opened the Birdcage', rather than bolted it shut. WHO wouldn't want to work for you!

HOOK 'EM HORNS!
This^^^(Ketch)^^^^^

Originally posted by cagrafft:
But seriously going to miss you at OB Chip! You're one of the main reasons I joined the site and have remained a member here for so long, but I'm excited to see what you can do with your new opportunities! Say hi to EA and Charissa for me and put in a good word for me!
grin.r191677.gif
Thanks for all your hard work for the site over the years and for helping me personally. You'll always be someone I look up to in the sports writing industry and someone I try to model myself after professionally.

Goodluck!
party0005.r191677.gif
Here's to you, me, EA and Charissa being in the same room! (It might well be a football stadium ... that's a room right?)

Well deserved Chip. We will miss your great input. Here's hoping you get the best out of things you do in the future because you have certainly made this a better place while you were here.

Originally posted by DustinMcComas:

Originally posted by meesch:
Ketch, please re-consider looking towards the NFL. There are a thousand really good NFL message boards, but I think most people subscribe to OB for information about Longhorn sports. I think it would be much more prudent for you to focus on why we pay you for your service. If I want NFL info, I'll go to my teams site. If I want Horns info, I'll come here. Please don't change that.
He wouldn't be a NFL guy. He'd be a Texas football beat writer and columnist. It could be that his previous job was as a NFL beat guy/columnist.
HERBIE

Originally posted by doc2rouge:
I have always been a big fan of Chips...have been listening to him on radio since he came to Austin and was resident of the DFW (FW) community back when Chip was "making his bones". I truly do think no one researches a situation and does his dead level best to be accurate and honest in his reporting of any situation. In the world of sports reporting I am not sure you can ever take 100% of what a reporter says "to the bank". But Chip has to be batting over .900 and that is pretty damn near impossible.
Every morning I drive in waiting for Chip to proclaim ,"In the immortal words of Judy Brown, Happiness is a choice". Some "on- air personalities" just become part of your life.....whether they want to or not. Chip is one of those people. I am very sad to see him leave OB but wish only the best for him because of all the humor, entertainment, and positivity he has provided to my daily 2 hour drive time over many years...and the wonderful sports journalism here on OB.
Sure Ketch will find a great replacement...but no way to ever replace Chip in the truest sense of the word.

Best wishes Chip! Candidly though...aren't you ready to slow down and work on your golf game?
Thanks for referencing my mom's words of wisdom to me as a kid.

And thanks for the thoughtful post. Means a lot.

Originally posted by ChipBrown:

Originally posted by BFantana:
I still laugh thinking about Chip peppering Mack with questions about Diaz after the infamous BYU game, only to have Mack finally ask the audience if anyone besides Chip has a question.
Just some good family ribbing.
cool.r191677.gif
I'm sure it won't take long for you to start annoying Coach Strong and his crew too!
Best of luck in the new gig and keep up the great work.

Originally posted by Jason Howell:
Chip it has been a pleasure to work alongside you the last few years and I hate to see you leave. I wish you luck in the future over at Scout.com and I look forward to crossing paths in the future.
Right back at ya Howell!

Originally posted by davidkfan:

I guess we can thank Mack Brown for this one. Chip got him fired and now he gets a promotion!!!

Hope he remembers how he dealt with the firing and his reporting.

Glad he is gone and will not be missed.
You lost, Mack cultist. Go put your gun in that pile over there with the rest of them.

This post was edited on 4/23 7:43 PM by PBR_StreetGang

Anyone with the "well . . . bye" gif? : )

I actually heard Chip was trying to hang on because he wanted to "fix it."
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Chip,

You're the man. Very happy for you. I know how hard of a decision this was for you. Just bringing it up to GK must have brutal. Totally brutal.

I have been reading your work since the early 90s. You will be so missed here. However I am ecstatic I will still be reading your work, listening to you on the radio and now seeing you on TV. Please let us know when you are scheduled to appear on TV because otherwise I am not tuning into Fox Sports TV for anything other than a live game.

That said, I am excited we are about to have two real big boy journalists covering the Horns. This being predicated in GK hitting another home run hire.

Ultimately this is a win - win for the Longhorn fan base, Chip and hopefully OB. This is how big this program is.

May the force be with you my friend. If I ever see you at the restaurant/bar near Cedar Park our mutual friend Pat owns, I am getting you trashed.

Regards,
Z
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Originally posted by Taylor Gaspar:
Chip, you have been a wonderful addition to the Orangebloods family. It's sad to see you go, but I'm excited for the opportunity you have ahead of you. Thank you for all the hard work and sacrifice you have put in over the last six years. You have helped make Orangebloods the site it is today and nothing will ever change that. You will always be a part of the OB family in my opinion. I wish you nothing but success and happiness with your new endeavor.
Thanks Taylor. I remember when you and Dustin were basically working at OB for free.

One of the coolest things over the last six years has been watching you grow as a reporter. You have the instinct and have done a great job breaking news lately.

You have also amazed me by teaching yourself new talents (even teaching yourself how to run an online radio show by watching YouTube tutorials) - from every aspect of video production to web site building to running the business side of OB.

Your multi-talented versatility has taken you from working for free to making you invaluable.

All the best. God bless. Big things are undoubtedly ahead for you.

Congrats Chip! We'll miss you here, but I will follow you wherever you go in the future because I enjoy your work. Love you man....

Wow, Chip will truly be missed. From the big 12 missle crisis to the onion cutting story of his little girl's surgery; feel like a good friend or family member is moving away.

RIP sex panther.

This post was edited on 4/23 9:38 PM by Mammy's Ham

I've been on the wrong end of a non compete and this is the right answer Ketch. Congrats Chip, I've been a fan since DMN and look forward to your next step...while staying a loyal fan of OB.

Really appreciated everything you brought to the site. I remember being excited when you joined because I enjoyed your work elsewhere. Can't believe it has been six years. Good luck in your new opportunity!

I already miss chip.

I'm sure he'll be "replaced" but not sure he can ever be replaced.

Damn...huge loss. Chip brought a lot of cutting edge info, and now he'll be working for the competition. Ketch, enforce that non-compete and make him stay!

Why do I get the feeling that Bohls or Haliburton are going to replace Chip?

This is an outstanding opportunity to hire a certain somebody to serve as OBs first "Twitter Correspondent".

Best of luck, Chip.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT