ADVERTISEMENT

Famous historical PHOTOS.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by hornsrus:
898_ml.jpg

Probably not as famous to most of you as to myself, this is my grandmother. She is credited as the first American nurse to land in Normandy after D-Day. This print appears in the Women of American Wars exhibit outside the entrance to Arlington National Cemetery.
This post was edited on 5/16 2:28 PM by hornsrus

hornsrus-- is your me ma still living? if so, tell her thank you.

JFK Jr. saluting at his father's funeral procession.

amex3yearoldjfkjrsalutes.jpg

This post was edited on 5/16 9:40 PM by Jettrink
This post was edited on 5/16 9:42 PM by Jettrink
This post was edited on 5/16 9:47 PM by Jettrink

Dust Bowl 1930's

dust-bowl1.jpg

This post was edited on 5/16 9:46 PM by Jettrink
This post was edited on 5/16 9:48 PM by Jettrink

Originally posted by leakycow:
20090620131723!Hubble_Deep_Field_South_full_mosaic.jpg

Hubble Deep Field Image, 1995...blows my mind away every time I see this.
13 Billion years ago. Its crazy were looking at damn near the beginning of the universe.

Originally posted by BattleshipTexas:
Edison is not the greatest inventor of all time. He is just a Tesla wannabee. Edison was a great self-promoter to be sure and good at stealing ideas from bright young underlings.
Edison had 10 times as many patents as Tesla with a higer percentage of commerciability. Extremely subjective IMO.

Iran Hostage crisis (third from left is supposedly Ahmadinejad)
American-Hostage-Tehran-Nov1979.jpg

1980_Desert_crash.jpg

Originally posted by kwc2011:

Originally posted by leakycow:
20090620131723!Hubble_Deep_Field_South_full_mosaic.jpg

Hubble Deep Field Image, 1995...blows my mind away every time I see this.
13 Billion years ago. Its crazy were looking at damn near the beginning of the universe.

not really.

presumably, some of those objects are close to 13 billion light years away, so we are seeing what they were 13 billion years ago.
so yes, really.

Originally posted by bear19:
presumably, some of those objects are close to 13 billion light years away, so we are seeing what they were 13 billion years ago.
so yes, really.

/facepalm

Do some research.

Originally posted by cdunagan051:
so yes, really.

/facepalm

Do some research.

use complete sentences.

so yes, really.

/facepalm

Do some research.

use complete sentences.

You got me.

Anyway, the picture is amazing. But those are mostly the galaxies in our cluster, which is no where near 13 billion years in diameter.

A couple of pixels on the picture may very well be a different cluster... which may very well be a few billion lightyears away. But most, if not all of those galaxies are very close to us, on a universal scale.

Still, great picture, as it was the first one to really open out eyes to how gigantic our universe really is. But even now we are still discovering how big the universe is. 13 billion years is what we believe it to be right now, but it could be older.

so yes, really.

/facepalm

Do some research.

use complete sentences.

You got me.

Anyway, the picture is amazing. But those are mostly the galaxies in our cluster, which is no where near 13 billion years in diameter.

A couple of pixels on the picture may very well be a different cluster... which may very well be a few billion lightyears away. But most, if not all of those galaxies are very close to us, on a universal scale.

Still, great picture, as it was the first one to really open out eyes to how gigantic our universe really is. But even now we are still discovering how big the universe is. 13 billion years is what we believe it to be right now, but it could be older.

good explaination.
still, presumably, some of the faint wisps of light are from galaxies as they were forming 12-13 billion years ago, far before they became spirals or discs or any known shape. don't know if any are in that particular pic, and if so may be to faint to see here.

hope this thread regains steam.

As I do not want to be the one who hijacked a great thread, I will contribute some more...

Moment before Janet Jackson's boob was shown to America during the Superbowl, forever altering TV censoring.
040922_jackson_superbowl_vmed.widec.jpg

First photo taken on the surface of MARS.
First_photo_of_Mars.jpg

Photo from a security camera of the two gunmen at Columbine High School.
1200866400000-623069-TheColumbineKillers-1200075816433.jpg

FDR appealing to congress for a declaration of War against Japan a day after Pearl Harbor.
FE_DA_081210fdr.jpg

Co-pilot of Enola Gay (plane that dropped A-bomb over Hiroshima), reacts to emotional meeting with Hiroshima survivors. On the show where he met them, he was visibly shaken, and he spoke with a broken voice, holding back tears.

Famous for the quote "Oh my God, what have we done."
0.jpg

I have absolutely enjoyed perusing the pictures. Thanks to everyone that has contributed.

Is there anyone that is saving the pictures of this thread as they come up and putting it in a folder/accessible website? I have gone through a couple of pages of this thread saving the pictures already, but was curious if there was a more facile way to copy the pictures.

It's really a shame that some of the great threads of orangebloods disappear after a few days. I wish that the great information on many threads of this website could be stored for a longer period of time.

Thread of the year! I have laughed out loud, gotten nauseated, cried and spit coffee on my keyboard, and haven't eaten breakfast yet. Thanks to all for the effort to post these thought-provoking photos - keep 'em coming!!!

Patty Hearst in her famous Symbionese National Liberation Army photo.

patty_hearst.jpg

Originally posted by BattleshipTexas:
Edison is not the greatest inventor of all time. He is just a Tesla wannabee. Edison was a great self-promoter to be sure and good at stealing ideas from bright young underlings.

1. Check the patents that Edison got.
2. Enjoying your computer, your refrigerated air, your refrigerator, your electricity? How's that camera working for you? Listen to any music lately? How about your favorite movie?

DaVinci "lifted" many of his ideas and inventions from others. Same with Bell. Need something a little more modern? Who invented the microchip? Was it Kilby? Did he get "more" than he should have from Noyce?

How about Felix Hoffman and aspirin?

By the way, they don't hold a candle to what Edison brought. The ideas from his original patents, in other words other people building on his work, inventing and discovering newer and better ways to make our lives better, prove that those original patents are the wellspring for much of what you're enjoying this morning.

Hook'em!

so yes, really.

/facepalm

Do some research.

use complete sentences.

You got me.

good explaination.
still, presumably, some of the faint wisps of light are from galaxies as they were forming 12-13 billion years ago, far before they became spirals or discs or any known shape. don't know if any are in that particular pic, and if so may be to faint to see here.

hope this thread regains steam.

Oh the irony!

Bear...."good EXPLAINATION??"

lol.
smilie2.gif

I thought it was funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT