ADVERTISEMENT

Latest on Texas moving to the SEC

Anwar Richardson

Staff
Apr 24, 2014
There have been a lot of discussions on Friday about Texas and Oklahoma trying to leave the Big 12 before 2025. It is a great time to share what has been reported by Orangebloods, the national writers, and put this move in perspective.

The best advice I can give Longhorn fans is not to overreact to the report of Texas remaining in the Big 12 until 2025. UT sources believe that story was leaked in an effort to put pressure on the Longhorns to cave in negotiations. A key source told me on Friday morning the conversations between Texas and Big 12 about an early exit have gone well. Big 12 Commissioner Brett Yormark has been better to deal with than former commissioner Bob Bowlsby, according to those close to the situation. There is no animosity between Texas and the Big 12.

One of the main issues is trying to make the networks happy. Fox is not willing to give away Texas and Oklahoma to ESPN for nothing in return. Until Fox believes it is receiving a fair exchange of games, the network will not budge.

However, here is a reason for optimism.

I spoke with multiple people on Friday morning and UT's goal remains to enter the SEC in 2024. They believe there is still an opportunity for a deal to be finalized that makes each party happy. Everyone at the table is negotiating, and a Texas source told me, "We just have to be patient on our side."

Here is a recap of what I wrote in the War Room on Thursday:

The Big 12 recently released its football schedule for the upcoming season. There was a report that said Texas and Oklahoma tried to exit this conference for the SEC in 2023. Every Longhorn football observer knows 2024 is the most optimistic timeframe to join the SEC.

I checked in with a key source and here is what I can share at this moment.

Texas continues to negotiate a potential early exit from this conference with Big 12 officials.

However, Texas is not interested in paying $80 million to exit the Big 12.

Until the Big 12 is ready to offer Texas a fair compromise, I was told the Longhorns will remain under their current contract.

In other words, let the negotiations continue.

Here are the tweets from Friday morning:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News