ADVERTISEMENT

Longhorn's Fall Camp Thread

Never count out a team that has an emotional reason to play. Plus, new offense of which we have no film. Temper your expectations fellas.
Nah man this is a different type of emotion.

This isn't "our teammate died trying to help hurricane victims evacuate" kind of emotion--

This is "the dudes that we trusted to mentor us are a$$holes and there's still some on the coaching staff" kind of emotion. You don't bounce back from that in two weeks.

My season win total prediction just went up by a game. (So far)

Truthfully all the defensive players have good things to say about Todd Orlando

They believe he will put them in the right place to make plays.
Players like Hager, Roach, Johnson and Boyd call him a guru and football savant.

That USC game last year was huge in these players trusting their defensive coaches.

Truthfully the trust factor with Herb Hand is getting to that level.
Unlike Orlando last year Herb has been able to gain the trust in the players before the season.

This is because Herman earn the trust from the team.

Here are the tidbits I have heard about the scrimmage.

Neither QB stood out but they did not throw any interceptions

Rotated four RBs
Watson
Johnson
Ingram
Young

Jamison and Moore stood out in the slot
Jamison took a JET SWEEP 70 yards

This is a play I am hoping that UT runs a lot because Herb Hand learned under the Jet Sweep master Gus Malzahn.

The OL was
Anderson
Vahe
Shackelford
Rodriguez
Cosmi

Didn't hear much about the D but the Offense won the scrimmage.

Herman and Orlando said it is fun facing off cause they both respect each other's skills

Iron sharping Iron even with the coaches

Nether QB stood out???...I heard Boo looked very good....I heard Rising looked very good(stayed in the pocket, checked down to 2nd and 3rd progressions...)

Nether QB stood out???...I heard Boo looked very good....I heard Rising looked very good(stayed in the pocket, checked down to 2nd and 3rd progressions...)

Doesn't me they stood out from each other.
That is also not saying they looked horrible.

It is saying that after the second scrimmage Herman most likely will go with the leader Ehlinger.

Buechele and Rising both could get a chance if Ehlinger struggles.

Ehlinger was named the starter by the team in the off season.

Not just by the offensive players but the defense.

Ehlinger was named the starter by the team in the off season.

Not just by the offensive players but the defense.
Serious question (I am not being a smart ass), but, how does the team vote? Does Herman have the team vote on some official ballot? I do think it is a good sign if a teammate emerges and there is a glaring recognition or consensus on who the real leader is.

Human psychology is such an interesting topic.

You should study the creation of society in Australia. You would think if 1000 convicts were put on an island that anarchism would reign. That is totally false as humans are very much pack animals and alphas are determined.

I have been around football my entire life and the same thing happens with a football team.
Leaders are created because not just dominating personalities but because people respect them.

Sam Ehlinger is that type of player.
Already as a second year player in the program.

Look at the players Twitter.
For me you can tell a lot about the team by the player's tweets and more importantly their retweets.

Kris Boyd and Breckyn Hager both named Sam Ehlinger starter.

Human psychology is such an interesting topic.

You should study the creation of society in Australia. You would think if 1000 convicts were put on an island that anarchism would reign. That is totally false as humans are very much pack animals and alphas are determined.

I have been around football my entire life and the same thing happens with a football team.
Leaders are created because not just dominating personalities but because people respect them.

Sam Ehlinger is that type of player.
Already as a second year player in the program.

Look at the players Twitter.
For me you can tell a lot about the team by the player's tweets and more importantly their retweets.

Kris Boyd and Breckyn Hager both named Sam Ehlinger starter.
I understand leadership pretty well. I was just zoned in on your statement that both the offense and defense voted Sam the starter. I didn’t know if players were surveyed or actually voted for you or anybody to say that. To me, it is clear Herman has wanted Sam all along. But, that is different

I haven't seen Buechele since the bowl game so I do not know if his body language has changed.

At times he looks defeated. The TCU game last year was the best example.
If Ehlinger could have played that game it would have been 1000% times different.

If Buechele would have started against OU that game would have been different.
I don't think Buecehle would have rallied the team.

This is the reason why Shane Buechele is not the starter and will not be.

Calvin Anderson is trying to get up to speed on the playbook at UT.

Who spends his own time assisting Anderson?

Sam Ehlinger.
Without question this guy is a leader.
He is who the team wants to lead them to battle.
That's great to hear. Where was this documented? I waited all summer to hear about who was putting together their own unofficial practices and scrimmages, but never heard anything

John Burt is what, our #3 or #4 receiver? Has had ZERO QB help. BJ was a starter, with two damn good QBs. Next.

EDIT: I love how people seem to think these WRs are just supposed to pull all these receptions out their ass. They do need somebody to throw the ball, don't they? In case you haven't noticed, Our QB play the past few years has been severely lacking. C'mon clob, you know better.

And another damn thing. Burt was the best we had when he got here. Since then, a few folks with the initials CJ, LJH, and RHM arrived. Ya think maybe, just maybe, those guys could've contributed to Burt's decline in receptions? Christ I thought that was obvious.
You have to actually be able to catch the ball in order to effectively play WR. Sorry, John Burt

Reactions: oldhorn2
It's hard for me to have any confidence in Shane based on his huddle presence. He lacks the leadership qualities you see in successful college football qb's

As long as Sam learns how to slide and get out of bounds early we should see him all year.

That's great to hear. Where was this documented? I waited all summer to hear about who was putting together their own unofficial practices and scrimmages, but never heard anything

You don't have to go onto the practice fields to learn the plays especially at the LT position during the summer.
Anderson as a Rice graduate probably knows how he learns information quickly.

The statement was made that Calvin Anderson was staying after practices during the first two weeks because he was on the third team and Hand was on him

Ehlinger was proud of him and assisted him in learning Tom Herman's offense.

My feelings on Sam won't make me popular but gonna say it anyway.

Sam can run, has a strong arm and the alpha qualities you want. BUT, He doesn't have accuracy or the brains to be a top flight QB at this point.

Now he may get the brains at some point and stop losing games for us. Time will tell. But if he's not accurate this year then he won't ever be.

Accurate QB's, SG, and PG's display those skills early on. You can usually see it by High School. If you can't hit a 3 in High School, the odds are, you wont be any better at it in college. Same applies for a QB. Tebow is a perfect example.

I didn't see that accuracy from Sam last year so I don't expect it this year either. Sorry to be a downer. Hope like hell Sam proves me wrong. I do think he will cut out the dumb mistakes. If not, he wont last 3 games.

The bigger issue last year was that the offense had zero respect.

Meaning in football you have certain plays to force the opposing teams to overcommit.

This ultimately fell on the OL and Running game

Out of both QBs Sam Ehlinger made the offense somewhat efficient based on his legs.

If you add Andrew Beck to the offense it changes because you have a TE/HBack that can lead block at an above average level

Plus you install blocking schemes to fit the personal at RB.

This is what UT has different this year.

Teams are going to have to respect the running game.

This is where the slot receiver comes in play.
If you have to respect the running game the slot receiver has more room to work

Plus you have WRs like Collin Johnson and LJH who can take the top off of a defense

The only time Collin Johnson had single coverage was against SC and he had 200 yards.

Everything falls on the OL.
Young breaking tackles and Watson finding space.

My feelings on Sam won't make me popular but gonna say it anyway.

Sam can run, has a strong arm and the alpha qualities you want. BUT, He doesn't have accuracy or the brains to be a top flight QB at this point.

Now he may get the brains at some point and stop losing games for us. Time will tell. But if he's not accurate this year then he won't ever be.

Accurate QB's, SG, and PG's display those skills early on. You can usually see it by High School. If you can't hit a 3 in High School, the odds are, you wont be any better at it in college. Same applies for a QB. Tebow is a perfect example.

I didn't see that accuracy from Sam last year so I don't expect it this year either. Sorry to be a downer. Hope like hell Sam proves me wrong. I do think he will cut out the dumb mistakes. If not, he wont last 3 games.

Colt threw 22 pics his Sophomore year

Reactions: TheTruthof2018

There are stupid interceptions and there are ones made by taking chances.

Ehlinger was the reason on offense that we had a chance to beat SC.
No one gives Ehlinger credit for winning the K State game.

Oklahoma St and Tech are two games I think he would take back

At that point Ehlinger was not 100%.

To get back to my original point.

You don't throw an interception up 14-0 in the second quarter

If you are down by ten in the 4th and you want to take the chance then sometimes it is not a horrible interception because you are giving the team a chance to win.

For a QB to make big plays you have to take a chance.

Texas has a D and hopefully a running game so Ehlinger needs to be a game manager more than a gun slinger though

Yes, Colt was great as a redshirt freshman until he was injured. Not very good as a sophomore. His junior year was probably our best team. And he was great as a senior but his team wasn't quite as good as the year before.

As far as QBs already "making it" once they arrive, it might be true most of the time but not all of the time. How many people didn't want Baker Mayfield before he blossomed and became a Heisman winner? Same switch could flip for Sam at any moment (theoretically/hopefully)

Reactions: weevilcatch
Is there a battle shaping up between Dicker and Rowland?

How's Ryan Bujcevski looking? Will he be ready when the season starts? We're going to need these guys..

Per Tom Herman's press conference, the following decisions have been made.

Sam is the starter. Shane was disappointed, but told coach, "I'll be ready."

RBs in groups. Young, Watson, Ingram are the first group. Porter and Carter are behind them. Kirk Johnson and Houston are in last. I was hoping KJ would be higher, but I guess we'll see what Watson and Ingram are all about.

Strong Safety is Caden Sterns, with BJ Foster backing him up. I had hoped they wouldn't be at the same position. need both these guys on the field together at some point in the future.

EDIT: Calvin Anderson is starting at left tackle.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT