ADVERTISEMENT

official Longhorns vs Turtles thread (ugly uniforms)

Metcalf - You have a valid point about Heard. I think they should have kept him at QB but he lost his luster as the new shiney toy came in town. He do give the boys a legitimate option but he decision making was poor BUT that could have been worked on with practice and time. Sam has a tendency to play wild especially towards the end of the game.
POINTS OF INTEREST
1) OL played better than last year
2) RB - Let Ingram be the focus back followed by the CAL transfer
3) WR/TE - Dooovaney played great as with the two other monster receivers. Need more plays for the TE.
4) DE/DT - need more pressure on the qb. I think we only had like 3 pressures but I could be wrong. Nobody wins a game with only 5 or under pressures on a qb.
5) LB - Wheeler hurt but Johnson was the shot in the back. We definitely need him in at all times
6) DB - Davis looked terrible. BJ and Sterns are elite kids. I'm very excited about them.
7) COACHES - Herman wasn't prepared for Maryland. He should have given Shane a shot towards the end of the game. Todd didn't do a great job as well.
The drop INT was crucial. Make that and the boys win

Good god yes Ingram should be the feature back. I'm still pissed he didn't play in the second half. I guess being the only decent looking back gets you benched around here. Smh. Disgusting

Good god yes Ingram should be the feature back. I'm still pissed he didn't play in the second half. I guess being the only decent looking back gets you benched around here. Smh. Disgusting
I was scratching my head with the use of Ingram. Go north instead of East and west plays

Reactions: Metcalf #2
I was scratching my head with the use of Ingram. Go north instead of East and west plays

I don't know if you noticed, but on that TD he did something amazing. At first I thought it just too easy, and that it was extremely well blocked. On the replay though, you could tell he saw the back side opening up before he even got the ball. He even grabbed the ball from Sam already knowing he was going the other way. You could tell by his body position that he had no intent on going with the flow to the right. I'd heard he had great vision, and he sure showed it.

I don't know if you noticed, but on that TD he did something amazing. At first I thought it just too easy, and that it was extremely well blocked. On the replay though, you could tell he saw the back side opening up before he even got the ball. He even grabbed the ball from Sam already knowing he was going the other way. You could tell by his body position that he had no intent on going with the flow to the right. I'd heard he had great vision, and he sure showed it.

Ingram looked good. Young looked solid as well.

Reactions: Metcalf #2
Metcalf - You have a valid point about Heard. I think they should have kept him at QB but he lost his luster as the new shiney toy came in town. He do give the boys a legitimate option but he decision making was poor BUT that could have been worked on with practice and time. Sam has a tendency to play wild especially towards the end of the game.
POINTS OF INTEREST
1) OL played better than last year
2) RB - Let Ingram be the focus back followed by the CAL transfer
3) WR/TE - Dooovaney played great as with the two other monster receivers. Need more plays for the TE.
4) DE/DT - need more pressure on the qb. I think we only had like 3 pressures but I could be wrong. Nobody wins a game with only 5 or under pressures on a qb.
5) LB - Wheeler hurt but Johnson was the shot in the back. We definitely need him in at all times
6) DB - Davis looked terrible. BJ and Sterns are elite kids. I'm very excited about them.
7) COACHES - Herman wasn't prepared for Maryland. He should have given Shane a shot towards the end of the game. Todd didn't do a great job as well.
The drop INT was crucial. Make that and the boys win

1-they still have a long way to go but yes improvements were seen
2-and Daniel Young
3-these guys struggle to get separation. CJ is a jump ball guy and Duvernay is a straight line sprinter. Need more guys that can create separation in their routes with feet and hips.
4-Omenihu had a terrific game. Hager was average. Both NT were plugs. Need more Graham IMO. The DL isn’t meant to get pressure most of the time in this scheme but yes there could always be more pressure
5-not having wheeler was a real killer. Roach was not very good in the 1st Q and that’s being nice. Agree 1000% we need GJ on the field
6-Davis and terrible I disagree with. He had one panic play but other than that I thought he was good until the INJ.
7-things must get better no doubt

Did you see how many solo tackles our Panteen shampoo model had?

Wait for it......

1 solo tackle.

1-they still have a long way to go but yes improvements were seen
2-and Daniel Young
3-these guys struggle to get separation. CJ is a jump ball guy and Duvernay is a straight line sprinter. Need more guys that can create separation in their routes with feet and hips.
4-Omenihu had a terrific game. Hager was average. Both NT were plugs. Need more Graham IMO. The DL isn’t meant to get pressure most of the time in this scheme but yes there could always be more pressure
5-not having wheeler was a real killer. Roach was not very good in the 1st Q and that’s being nice. Agree 1000% we need GJ on the field
6-Davis and terrible I disagree with. He had one panic play but other than that I thought he was good until the INJ.
7-things must get better no doubt

Reactions: westx
He turned Greg Ward until a pretty good college QB. I’ve always wondered what could’ve been with Heard.

Not true, and you can check the stats to verify it.

Ward had a great sophomore year before Herman ever showed up. Herman kept saying “you are seeing him become a QB right before your eyes” but we all saw that the year prior.

Ward did progress, as most sophomores do throughout their upper classman years, and with more game experience.

But if you check the stats from those years you will see the needle did not move very much, if at all.

And Watson wasn’t terrible either. Yet Porter was the one in game on the last couple of drives... we have some stubborn ass coaches.

^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^

You have captured the essence and biggest problem/failure/criticism I have for this game. Your post puts clarity to the basic problem.

OUR COACHES were tight as hell for this game and that rolled right down to the players......They were not playing to win....they were playing not to lose. They took the "safe" way the whole game. They never tried the jump ball because it is a risk.....that hurry up had mistakes, so dont stay with it....not "smart" ball....

When we had that 1 1/2 hr break it gave them time ti really get tight.....and smart(the coaches I mean)...Plenty of time to win the game, so play it smart....dont use the freshman...he might cost the game. ...

The reason Porter was in there is the coaches believe he never messes anything up....doesnt make mistakes....never mind that he doesnt make plays either.

DKR in explaining his biggest moment of greatness said" sometimes you have to suck it up and pick a number".......until this staff learns to shed their fear they will not be able to bring out the greatness of this team.

^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^

You have captured the essence and biggest problem/failure/criticism I have for this game. Your post puts clarity to the basic problem.

OUR COACHES were tight as hell for this game and that rolled right down to the players......They were not playing to win....they were playing not to lose. They took the "safe" way the whole game. They never tried the jump ball because it is a risk.....that hurry up had mistakes, so dont stay with it....not "smart" ball....

When we had that 1 1/2 hr break it gave them time ti really get tight.....and smart(the coaches I mean)...Plenty of time to win the game, so play it smart....dont use the freshman...he might cost the game. ...

The reason Porter was in there is the coaches believe he never messes anything up....doesnt make mistakes....never mind that he doesnt make plays either.

DKR in explaining his biggest moment of greatness said" sometimes you have to suck it up and pick a number".......until this staff learns to shed their fear they will not be able to bring out the greatness of this team.

I'll supplement this excellent post with the best thing Mack Brown ever did...get out of the way and let VY do his thing.

You recruit these guys, coach them up, build relationships of trust and respect...get out of their way and let them develop.

^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^

Yet he sticks with Sam, who's clearly more prone to stupid mistakes than Shane. Yeah maybe Shane won't move the ball, but he's less likely to over throw 6'4" Humphrey right into the arms of a DB that was freakin 10 yards behind LJH.

So experience doesn't matter for QBs, but it does for RBs. F*cking idiot logic.

Last edited:
I'm really looking forward to the Tulsa game. Hoping Cam Rising puts on a show and we roll with the fish from here on out. Sam just looks like he doesn't have what it takes. Hopefully he proves me wrong, but it's same ol' same ol' with him.

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
sadly coach...I see almost no way Rising gets in the game

Oh he'll get in maybe one garbage time series. He'll do well, then when asked if he was impressive enough to get some time against USC, Herman will say, "Well.......it was uh...garbage time and......and that's just not......you know.......enough to......enough to......throw him in there in.........in more meaningful situations.......so I suggested he......read......The Iliad.....because.......because Homer knew it was a long......uh tough road and uh.......there's a lot to learn from that."

Yet he sticks with Sam, who's clearly more prone to stupid mistakes than Shane. Yeah maybe Shane won't move the ball, but he's less likely to over throw 6'4" Humphrey right into the arms of a DB that was freakin 10 yards behind LJH.

So experience doesn't matter for QBs, but it does for RBs. F*cking idiot logic.

Metcalf....no....that is Mensa logic.....Herman likes a QB that can run, and that is Sam...Sam is the guy he is comfortable with....so it is safe for him.Take no chances.

I saw this before with St. DKR , dealing with Bill Bradley -vs-James Street. Bradley was so damned acclaimed that he was on the cover of Sports Illustrated before he had ever played a down of Varsity football. Incredible athlete....but when he was the Starter QB Texas could not win more that 6 games a year. When DKR finally threw in the towel on him and went with Street, they never lost another game (the beginning of the 30 game streak)

I maintain that Herman is gonna have to get away from his comfort level to really have a breakout.

1 Sack
3 Turnovers
102 yards in penalties
Total Offense equaled out
Total 1st downs equaled out
And we lose by 4.

We need to clean up the TO's, stop the stupid penalties and play sound defense. We already knew we were going to lean on the D this year and our offense needed to manage the game. To many busted up coverage in the 1st and the rest is history. We should've never been down 2 touchdowns right off the bat.

Reactions: JHop6714
Did it bother anyone else, that this game looked very similar to the start of last season, but Herman acted in interviews like this was vastly different and we are a better team. I agree that the WRs look better, the RBs look better, and the OLine looks better. The offense was able to score more than last year and we didn't have to rely on special teams/defense to score for us. But overall the game was just kind of like the start of last year. For the areas we did improve, we dropped off in others. My whole family and I watched this game with disappointment, thinking 'here we go again - we look no better' and then feel insulted when Herman, who I like very much and truly want to succeed, tells us we are a better team and that this game isn't like last year's.

1 Sack
3 Turnovers
102 yards in penalties
Total Offense equaled out
Total 1st downs equaled out
And we lose by 4.

We need to clean up the TO's, stop the stupid penalties and play sound defense. We already knew we were going to lean on the D this year and our offense needed to manage the game. To many busted up coverage in the 1st and the rest is history. We should've never been down 2 touchdowns right off the bat.

On both of the first TDs we had players run into each other.

The first TD, #6 ran the jet sweep and the line gave an inside zone look. Malcolm Roach flowed with the inside zone look and ran into Gary Johnson who recognized the jet. Hager missed the tackle at the line and the rest is history

The 2nd TD we blitzed Brandon Jones from his safety spot. Kasim Hill did a good job of keeping Foster from cheating to the 2 WR side and when Davis and (I think) Locke bumped each other on the SWITCH routes, #6 again took the easy score.

Stuff like that is very frustrating.

On both of the first TDs we had players run into each other.

The first TD, #6 ran the jet sweep and the line gave an inside zone look. Malcolm Roach flowed with the inside zone look and ran into Gary Johnson who recognized the jet. Hager missed the tackle at the line and the rest is history

The 2nd TD we blitzed Brandon Jones from his safety spot. Kasim Hill did a good job of keeping Foster from cheating to the 2 WR side and when Davis and (I think) Locke bumped each other on the SWITCH routes, #6 again took the easy score.

Stuff like that is very frustrating.

I saw that too. Another touchdown was set up by the 10 yard punt from our punter.

Reactions: weevilcatch
I've been saying it for years, but we seem to shoot ourselves in the foot over and over and over and over....

Oh he'll get in maybe one garbage time series. He'll do well, then when asked if he was impressive enough to get some time against USC, Herman will say, "Well.......it was uh...garbage time and......and that's just not......you know.......enough to......enough to......throw him in there in.........in more meaningful situations.......so I suggested he......read......The Iliad.....because.......because Homer knew it was a long......uh tough road and uh.......there's a lot to learn from that."
I shouldn't have laughed at this but.... the Iliad reference just slayed me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT