ADVERTISEMENT

****OFFICIAL Texas vs The GOAT game thread****

Didn’t realize this:

super senior cornerback D’Shawn Jamison suffered an ankle injury of undetermined severity in the first half, according to head coach Steve Sarkisian, and did not return to the game.

Didn’t realize this:

super senior cornerback D’Shawn Jamison suffered an ankle injury of undetermined severity in the first half, according to head coach Steve Sarkisian, and did not return to the game.
Wow secondary still held up pretty well

Didn’t realize this:

Ya Jameir Johnson the redshirt freshman came in and played really well.

Reactions: GuaranteedFresh!
You should watch. This guy is a USC fan, not a Texas fan.

EDIT: and it’s not just him. I’ve seen Georgia and Clemson you tubers calling it a “travesty”. Awful lot of smoke for there not to be a 🔥.
Wow, lots of talking heads saying we got jobbed by the no calls. Yes, Bama caught more flags but it's the no-calls that would have potentially changed everything. The 2 missed facemasks would have given us 1st downs and the ability to run more time off the clock as well.

Is this how it felt to play against us all those years? Lol

Reactions: Metcalf #2
Steve Sarkisian and PK/GP outschemed and arguably out coached Nick Saban for an entire game. I'm still trying to let that sink in
Sark is a damn good football coach. Only reason he’s not at USC still is due to his personal issues which to his credit he addressed and appear to be behind him. I really feel we have the right guy in charge and I haven’t felt that way in a decade, or more.

Wow, lots of talking heads saying we got jobbed by the no calls. Yes, Bama caught more flags but it's the no-calls that would have potentially changed everything. The 2 missed facemasks would have given us 1st downs and the ability to run more time off the clock as well.

You totally missed my post about that BUFF flyover.

If it's 1,2 could he have continued to play?
Maybe. The only thing they can really tell on x-rays is if the bone is out of place. The 1-8 week tells me it was probably where it should have been. No way to know what happened to the ligaments.

Yeah people keep saying “well Alabama got flagged 15 times… sure but most of them weren’t debatable, and simple calls. Just because they got flagged 15 times domes excuse the refs missing multiple huge calls

You won that game brother. Cfb thought otherwise.

Reactions: Metcalf #2
Many of us were also pleasantly surprised about our Defensive progress or Bamas regression. One of those has to be true, at least for right now. Thanks for the kind words brotha.

Oh I almost forgot.....

We just just to Satan's elephants and OU still SUCKS. Hook'Em.
OU's offense so- so today. But D, like yours, is much better. Can't imagine what next week against the pitiful Huskers will be like. If OU wins hope Frost can make it out safely.

Reactions: GuaranteedFresh!
I quit reading at:

Defense. Don't give all the love to Gary Patterson Pete Kwiatkowsky is an outstanding coach who has a better resume than GP. Don't believe it? Look at all the players he's sent to the NFL.

Where did you read that, wemakestupidshitup.com

🙄
Seriously you people are going way overboard about Gary Patterson.

He was nutty about Texas and Baylor but his defenses never played that well against OK.

He lost 4 out of 6 to ISU.

So yeah I'll stand by my statement.

OU's offense so- so today. But D, like yours, is much better. Can't imagine what next week against the pitiful Huskers will be like. If OU wins hope Frost can make it out safely.
Nebraska is trash, it won't be close. It's obvious our season results could go either way depending on Ewers recovery time.
I like Card a lot, but he does hold on to the ball a bit too long. Can't praise him enough for playing through his injury today. Kid has heart in spades.

Seriously you people are going way overboard about Gary Patterson.

He was nutty about Texas and Baylor but his defenses never played that well against OK.

He lost 4 out of 6 to ISU.

So yeah I'll stand by my statement.
I think Patterson helped out immensely BUT, PK has a long proven history of coaching up top notch defenses. I was much more excited about bringing him to Texas than Sark. Overall, I'm happy with the development and changes we've seen so far.

Reactions: freeper
Nebraska is trash, it won't be close. It's obvious our season results could go either way depending on Ewers recovery time.
I like Card a lot, but he does hold on to the ball a bit too long. Can't praise him enough for playing through his injury today. Kid has heart in spades.
But he both passed well and ran well when he had to. Not sure the Horn offense not that bad off if this guy in charge. Will see in a few weeks.

Didn’t realize this:

Well, there’s one reason the D looked so good.

• Haha
Reactions: westx
I think Patterson helped out immensely BUT, PK has a long proven history of coaching up top notch defenses. I was much more excited about bringing him to Texas than Sark. Overall, I'm happy with the development and changes we've seen so far.
Going back in my mind over the last 3 staffs-- I've logged certain memories into certain categorical places in my head.

-When guys are in position to makes plays vs when they aren't-

When they are and they miss tackles v when they aren't and miss tackles.

There's some other subsets that stick out but it's one thing to be in the right spot and just miss a tackle vs being 4 feet from your spot and missing a tackle.

Overwhelmingly, in my memory-- we've been "out of position" on defense the last decade. I know to the layperson eye it's sometimes tough to tell-- but coaching defensive positioning isn't as easy as--

"OK Boy! Pin your ears back and light your hair on fire and make it to right here!"

Doesn't work that way.

It's as detailed and precise as the moves of a surgeon. And if you manage to be in the perfect spot at the right time, your body STILL has to have its balance and momentum moving in the right direction WHILE in that spot. If you're leaning to far left or right or have your body slightly pointing 160 degrees instead of 180 degrees-- well, you'll miss your tackle.

Playing great defense is an art, and it's fvcking HARD. And it's detailed-- filled with so much minutiae that it takes decades to understand it all. But it starts with being in the right spot at the right moment.

For the first time since I can remember, Texas defensive players were in the right spots when they were supposed to be and moving in the right direction and using proper attack angles.

It's a God damn beautiful thing to see.

Now is it because of Patterson? Well, I can say that I can't rule it out.

Going back in my mind over the last 3 staffs-- I've logged certain memories into certain categorical places in my head.

There's some other subsets that stick out but it's one thing to be in the right spot and just miss a tackle vs being 4 feet from your spot and missing a tackle.

Overwhelmingly, in my memory-- we've been "out of position" on defense the last decade. I know to the layperson eye it's sometimes tough to tell-- but coaching defensive positioning isn't as easy as--

"OK Boy! Pin your ears back and light your hair on fire and make it to right here!"

Doesn't work that way.

It's as detailed and precise as the moves of a surgeon. And if you manage to be in the perfect spot at the right time, your body STILL has to have its balance and momentum moving in the right direction WHILE in that spot. If you're leaning to far left or right or have your body slightly pointing 160 degrees instead of 180 degrees-- well, you'll miss your tackle.

Playing great defense is an art, and it's fvcking HARD. And it's detailed-- filled with so much minutiae that it takes decades to understand it all. But it starts with being in the right spot at the right moment.

For the first time since I can remember, Texas defensive players were in the right spots when they were supposed to be and moving in the right direction and using proper attack angles.

They had the defending Heisman winner stymied for 55 minutes. I don’t give a shit who the QB is for the rest of the year, but if they play with that level of effort and execution the rest of the season I don’t have a doubt in my mind they are playing for a conference championship in Arlington in December.

I haven’t seen fight and grit from a Texas team like that yesterday in over 12 years. It makes me really think these kids are buying into what this coaching staff is selling and we are witnessing a culture shift in that locker room.

Now it’s still a long season and a lot could go wrong but this team looks like it’s on the verge of turning a corner. Got to show it this Saturday though and come out and beat UTSA into submission.

Doesn't work that way.

Didn’t the defensive players mentioned that Patterson was hands on with them and showed them proper techniques and angles?

I remember one of the Acho brothers say on tv that Muschamp was hands on with them like that and teaching them how to play defense. Manny Diaz was the opposite, he would draw up plays but not teach them how to play defense.

My heart hurts in so many ways. Sooo close. Ewers injury. All the “what ifs”. Hopefully it catapults this team instead of draining them. They should be proud. Played clean football. Dang missed chip shot and targeting/grounding/safety screw up by refs were both back-breakers. Oh, and the missed INT early. Lots of promise. Good team coming to Austin next week.
This is one of those games where it’s easy to get sucked into “what-ifs,” but in reality, I’ve we had taken care of business it wouldn’t have come down to them. We could have beaten Bama. We should have beaten them. We didn’t take advantage of the shots we had. Overall it was a good showing and this is a young team, so I expect growth from this.

Regardless of W or L, the Horns are my boys. I’m looking forward to the rest of the season.

Reactions: westx

Doesn't work that way.

You know what team has excelled at being in the right spot, heading in the right direction, and using proper attack angles?

TCU

Last year, we couldn't tackle, cover, set the edge, stop the run, or rush the passer. Yesterday we did. PK is a great coach and called a great game yesterday. If you believe that the way our players executed yesterday wasn't heavily, heavily, heavily influenced by GP, you can put your head back in the sand.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT