ADVERTISEMENT

OT:Ghost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by cuevas55:

Originally posted by jamzan2:

Originally posted by LJ01:
OK, Here are my two stories,though they are not nearly as good as many of the stories I have read here.

When I was about 19 or 20 me and a buddy rented a house that had slight rumors to have some "special background" to it. We would hear a lot of noises, especially in the attick at night. I attributed it to kind of a loud settling. Louder than normal but nothing outrageous. We both worked odd hours so we would often not see each other for a couple of days at a time because of the way we slept and worked. One day I came home and he was in the living room. He was totally shocked to see me. He asked how long I had been out. I told him for several hours. He said he thought I had been home because had heard quite a bit of noise and banging around in my bedroom. He was pretty freaked out. Then about a month later about 2 or 3 in the morning we where each in or bedrooms and we heard really loud footsteps in the attick. It was loud enough to wake us both and get us out of bed. It sounded as if someone was walking circles around the attick, fairly fast paced. It would go from above my roommates bedroom over to my bedroom then around to the livingroom and back again. This went on for a couple of minutes and we finally got the courage to open the attick hide-a-stairs. We turn on the lights up there and of course we see nothing. That had us freaked out for a long time. It was definetly not the house settling.

In our first house after my marriage we had a german shepard that was a great dog. He was the kind of dog that would sooner lick someone to death before he would bite them. Every night before bed he would kind of do a patrol through the house to make sure everything was OK. Whenever he got to our dining room he would often kind of look into one corner and let out a little growl or bark. Me and my wife would joke about the ghost. One night during the patrol he went all out at the corner. I mean it was as if he was trying to fighting off a viscous animal or person. Protecting our space. This went on for less than a minute but he was totally guarding us. He would kind of slowly backup then slowly move forward, as if he was battling over a piece of ground. In full attack mode the whole time. Nonstop barking/growling, cannines exposed, slobbering at the mouth, hair raised on his back and tail. In the 14 years that I had that dog I never saw him before or after where he displayed so much aggression/protection. After that he often would lay in our livingroom facing the direction of that corner where he could keep a watch on it.
About three years later, when our daughter was about two. Me and her were playing catch. The ball rolled into that corner and I told her to get it. She ran and grabbed me and so "no daddy". I said why not. She looked at me and said "monster". She would never go towards that corner either.
Neither me nor my wife ever saw anything in the ten years we owned that house but our dog and daughter sure felt they did see something.
Ah hell...that's freaky.

+1

+2. especially about the dog.

Originally posted by TEX(AUS):

OK, Here are my two stories,though they are not nearly as good as many of the stories I have read here.

When I was about 19 or 20 me and a buddy rented a house that had slight rumors to have some "special background" to it. We would hear a lot of noises, especially in the attick at night. I attributed it to kind of a loud settling. Louder than normal but nothing outrageous. We both worked odd hours so we would often not see each other for a couple of days at a time because of the way we slept and worked. One day I came home and he was in the living room. He was totally shocked to see me. He asked how long I had been out. I told him for several hours. He said he thought I had been home because had heard quite a bit of noise and banging around in my bedroom. He was pretty freaked out. Then about a month later about 2 or 3 in the morning we where each in or bedrooms and we heard really loud footsteps in the attick. It was loud enough to wake us both and get us out of bed. It sounded as if someone was walking circles around the attick, fairly fast paced. It would go from above my roommates bedroom over to my bedroom then around to the livingroom and back again. This went on for a couple of minutes and we finally got the courage to open the attick hide-a-stairs. We turn on the lights up there and of course we see nothing. That had us freaked out for a long time. It was definetly not the house settling.

In our first house after my marriage we had a german shepard that was a great dog. He was the kind of dog that would sooner lick someone to death before he would bite them. Every night before bed he would kind of do a patrol through the house to make sure everything was OK. Whenever he got to our dining room he would often kind of look into one corner and let out a little growl or bark. Me and my wife would joke about the ghost. One night during the patrol he went all out at the corner. I mean it was as if he was trying to fighting off a viscous animal or person. Protecting our space. This went on for less than a minute but he was totally guarding us. He would kind of slowly backup then slowly move forward, as if he was battling over a piece of ground. In full attack mode the whole time. Nonstop barking/growling, cannines exposed, slobbering at the mouth, hair raised on his back and tail. In the 14 years that I had that dog I never saw him before or after where he displayed so much aggression/protection. After that he often would lay in our livingroom facing the direction of that corner where he could keep a watch on it.
About three years later, when our daughter was about two. Me and her were playing catch. The ball rolled into that corner and I told her to get it. She ran and grabbed me and so "no daddy". I said why not. She looked at me and said "monster". She would never go towards that corner either.
Neither me nor my wife ever saw anything in the ten years we owned that house but our dog and daughter sure felt they did see something.
Ah hell...that's freaky.

+1

The footsteps in the cealing didn't bother me to much. Me and my roomate kind of laughed it off for some reason. The one with the dog scared the hell out of me. I was literally shaking for 10-15 minutes. It was hard to sleep that night. Like I said me nor my wife ever saw or heard anything strange. Just the dog and maybe my daughter. She was very young when we moved out of that house.

Ah hell...that's freaky.

+1

The footsteps in the cealing didn't bother me to much. Me and my roomate kind of laughed it off for some reason. The one with the dog scared the hell out of me. I was literally shaking for 10-15 minutes. It was hard to sleep that night. Like I said me nor my wife ever saw or heard anything strange. Just the dog and maybe my daughter. She was very young when we moved out of that house.

its just crazy to have ur daughter say that and then the dog to act like that to that specific corner.. and its epsecially weird that there are alot of stories out there where kids can see things but adults cant..

How many of you actually tried the Bloody Mary thing as a kid? We used to do it all the time..even though doing so scared the crap out of us, we just couldn't get enough of it.
laugh.gif

guilty. never worked but yeah, i was scared shitless.

Originally posted by Hbacker:
Originally posted by regger13:

my wife told me one. there is a railroad crossing in San Antonio. if you stop your car on the tracks, after a bit something slowly moves your car forward and it's not because of an incline or the weather. it's a crossing where someone was killed when trying to pass. and it's not a one time episode. strange.
Hey TEX(AUS), I dated a girl from San Antonio in college. One weekend we went took a trip to SA and she took me to the tracks. According to the locals, a school bus full of kids got stuck on the tracks and were killed by a train. If a vehicle stops on the tracks, the car will be "pushed" off of the tracks and into the clear. When we went to the tracks, there must have been 10 other groups of people who came to experience "the push". Some people brought flour with them to sprinkle across their trunk and bumper, because apparently they can see children's hand prints on the back of their car.

The Travel Channel included The Tracks in the top ten haunted places in the US. They sent a team out there to take measurements and they said the ground is perfectly level so there is no sloping of the ground to cause your car to roll forward. Pretty interesting stuff.

The SA "haunted" RR tracks is a myth. No such accident ever occurred in SA.

I grew up in Burleson and we have a story about tracks like that in a nearby ghost town called Mary's Town. I've head dozens others too. Must be a lot of school buses getting hit by trains. Or they're mostly BS.

I think a many of you would enjoy the show Ghost Hunters. It comes on Sci Fi on Wednesday evenings. Tex(Aus), they did do an investigation on the Stanley Hotel, and what they found was quite interesting.

I believe I've lived in a couple of houses that were haunted growing up. I lived in a house in Lubbock (I know, a nightmare in and of itself) and strange things were always happening. Apparently a kid about 16 years old had killed himself in the garage, which BTW we weren't made aware of before the purchase, neighbors told us later. The experiences were pretty much the usual. Pictures would come off the wall. Not fall off, but come off. The nail or hanger would be perfectly in tact and the pitcure would often times be several feet away from the wall. My sister had a cat, and she would be sound asleep and then just jump up and take off, almost like somebody walked up and kicked her. Lights and electronics would misbehave. But what scared me most is the footsteps I would hear in the first room I stayed in. I guess I must have had that kid's room or something because I switched rooms the second my older brother moved out and never heard them there.

Before that, I lived in a house in Canyon that I believe was haunted. I would hear the toilet flush when I was in the bath. I would hear drawers opening and closing and then walk in the room and find a drawer standing open. Things like that. I was quite little so I always attributed what I head/saw to my imagination. Years after we moved I talked about it with my brother and he experienced many things in that house also.

I wish I would've tried to get some EVPs or something when I was living in those places.

Originally posted by PaulKemp:
I just moved into a place built in the 1910's because of its location. Since arriving, I have been waking up hourly throughout the night due to night terrors and heavy sweating. I often feel like a ghost is present in the room during these disturbances. Multiple neighbors have relayed stories about this area being extremely haunted.

Curious, I combed the internet seeking stories from people experiencing situations more in tune with my own. Apparently, my symptoms are not those of having contact with the other side, but instead, AIDS.

This post was edited on 6/10 4:12 AM by PaulKemp

AIDS is really hilarious.

sorry, but that was tasteless.

Originally posted by LongToothHorn:
Has anyone ever watched Ghost Busters / T.A.P.S?

According to the TAPS guys, there are three different types of ghostly encounters:

1. The DVD/movie of some past occurrence that plays itself over and over. This apparition has no awareness of the living and can do you no harm. It is simply some past happening that is repeating itself for some reason. Examples are footsteps down the same stairs over and over, someone appearing in a hallway, a cry or moan that won't stop.

2. The Benevolent Ghost. This is a personality that is aware of the living and wants to interact but does so in light hearted, harmless, yet sometimes mischievous ways. Examples are missing items, closing doors, lights turning on and off for no reason, a young boy giving you a $5 bill and then disappearing. These ghosts do no harm and many people live with them with no problems. Benevolent Ghosts don't seem to mind the company of the living and almost enjoy the interactions.

3. The Malevolent Ghost. This is the one we are all afraid to encounter. They seem to want to be left alone and will go to almost any extreem to get us to leave their presence. Examples are jumping on your bed like a cat and smothering you, pushing you down the stairs, really messing with your mind and body. These are the ones people go running out of the house from in the middle of the night. These are the ones we consider to be evil.

The vast majority of TAPS encounters fall into the first two categories. However some folks say they have experienced encounters with the third type as well.

Ghosts are thought to have once been living people that have past away and are not to be confused with other spiritual beings like angels and demons.
You have to really watch out for those Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

This isn't a biggie, but it scared me nonetheless.

A couple of years ago, my husband was out of town, so I let my almost three year old at the time, sleep in my room with me. As we were laying there talking, lights out, he started saying, "Mom, who's that lady?" I was a bit freaked, and said, "What lady!?" He said, "That lady above us in the pretty white dress?"
I freaked out, ran to the light switch, turned on every light in the house, and slept that way all night long.
I have no clue if he saw something or was making it up, but about a week later, my son was with his cousin, who is 10 (I didn't tell him the story because he was 10, and why scare a little kid). They were driving along in their van, and my son turned to him and said, "The lady in the pretty white dress is by you and she is smiling." He freaked out and started screaming for his mom.

Who knows, maybe he saw something, maybe it was his imagination, but that's the last I heard about "the lady in the pretty white dress," thank goodness.

Originally posted by hooked76:
This isn't a biggie, but it scared me nonetheless.

A couple of years ago, my husband was out of town, so I let my almost three year old at the time, sleep in my room with me. As we were laying there talking, lights out, he started saying, "Mom, who's that lady?" I was a bit freaked, and said, "What lady!?" He said, "That lady above us in the pretty white dress?"
I freaked out, ran to the light switch, turned on every light in the house, and slept that way all night long.
I have no clue if he saw something or was making it up, but about a week later, my son was with his cousin, who is 10 (I didn't tell him the story because he was 10, and why scare a little kid). They were driving along in their van, and my son turned to him and said, "The lady in the pretty white dress is by you and she is smiling." He freaked out and started screaming for his mom.

Who knows, maybe he saw something, maybe it was his imagination, but that's the last I heard about "the lady in the pretty white dress," thank goodness.
Oh sh*t! That would have freaked me out too! I often wondered, when my sons were infants -> toddler age, when they'd look away and smile, if they were looking at something else..I used to think maybe it was Angels. I dunno.

Originally posted by Hookah Horns:

Originally posted by sldl:
I know this sounds a little crazy but it happend. Back when I was in 8th grade a group of us (7-8) we walking back from the basball field on night and we kept giving a couple of our mexican friends hell about it. One of my firends went as far as to start whistling mocking it. Well being the young punks we were on of my friends through a rock and busted out a window in some business and we ran up on of the water tower hills here in Graham to avoid getting caught. Well once we came to a stop about midway up I remember seeing these green eyes and this huff/coughing noise over to the left I remember we all started praying and held hands until we got down to the bottom of the hill into the lights by southern bleachers.

I know this sounds really crazy and 90% of the people on here probably will not believe it but I know what happend. I remember hearing scratching on my window that night and slept in the front room for about two weeks after.

On another occasion we were outside one of my friends house 1-2 AM (he was hispanic and from mexico) and we were all talking about religion. All of a sudden we seen this bird on top of his house with those same green eyes making that same noise. We went inside and woke up his mom and she lit some candles and started praying.

I havent experienced anything else regarding this witch/devil bird but know enough to not want anything else to do with it.
Ah, so green eyed birds like screwing with Mexicans...
I don't know why, but that made me laugh..
laugh.gif

It mad me laugh to when I read it

Just wanted to thank all of you for sharing your experiences. by far the best thread on the boards in a long time.

I am a believer and have had events in my life while in the Marine Barracks at Camp Horno that I can only chalk up to a supernatural presence. Pretty damn spooky imo. But with that said none of them were half as scary as some of the $hit you all have been through.

God bless.

ghost hunters is a good show for believers like myself. the lighthouse episode is freaky. ive had a few experiences of my own. when i was growing up at my dads place when my parents were still together, there was 2 ghosts that were in my room. the most vivid memory i have of the ghosts there was when i was about 10. i was playing with some lego's one afternoon when all of a sudden the lid on the box that i put the legos in flew, i say again, flew off the top of the box. that in itself freaked me out. but thats just the start, after i ran out of my room and hid in my bathroom for 10 or 15 minutes so i could calm down and the thing would go away, i come back into my room and the airplane i had just started building was finished. i couldnt believe it. i told my dad and he said that i finished the plane, but i said i couldnt have, i started it 20 minutes ago then i went to the bathroom.

about 5 years passed before anything else happend, except this time i had moved out of my old room and into the bigger one across the hall. i had a friend over one night and told him about the lego incident as i have come to call it. he didnt believe me of course, as most people 15 like to screw around at that age. i fell asleep that night and my friend stayed up all night playing my xbox. when i woke up in the morning i had cuts on my right arm, i asked my friend if i had scratched myself while i slept and if he did anything to me, which he denied and i belive him. ive been a believer all my life and will continue to be one. just my stories.

Originally posted by sldl:
I know this sounds a little crazy but it happend. Back when I was in 8th grade a group of us (7-8) we walking back from the basball field on night and we kept giving a couple of our mexican friends hell about it. One of my firends went as far as to start whistling mocking it. Well being the young punks we were on of my friends through a rock and busted out a window in some business and we ran up on of the water tower hills here in Graham to avoid getting caught. Well once we came to a stop about midway up I remember seeing these green eyes and this huff/coughing noise over to the left I remember we all started praying and held hands until we got down to the bottom of the hill into the lights by southern bleachers.

I know this sounds really crazy and 90% of the people on here probably will not believe it but I know what happend. I remember hearing scratching on my window that night and slept in the front room for about two weeks after.

On another occasion we were outside one of my friends house 1-2 AM (he was hispanic and from mexico) and we were all talking about religion. All of a sudden we seen this bird on top of his house with those same green eyes making that same noise. We went inside and woke up his mom and she lit some candles and started praying.

I havent experienced anything else regarding this witch/devil bird but know enough to not want anything else to do with it.

This barely makes any sense.

Originally posted by dr_drums:
I once saw my British Knights walk across the hall in my house when I was 10. That is all.

That is pretty f'ing disturbing if you asked me.

You had British Knights?

Originally posted by NorthTexasHorn:

I once saw my British Knights walk across the hall in my house when I was 10. That is all.

You had British Knights?

perhaps because he couldn't afford them, stole them from someone, the shoes couldn't stand him, and walked away. that's believable.

Originally posted by PaulKemp:
I just moved into a place built in the 1910's because of its location. Since arriving, I have been waking up hourly throughout the night due to night terrors and heavy sweating. I often feel like a ghost is present in the room during these disturbances. Multiple neighbors have relayed stories about this area being extremely haunted.

Curious, I combed the internet seeking stories from people experiencing situations more in tune with my own. Apparently, my symptoms are not those of having contact with the other side, but instead, AIDS.

This post was edited on 6/10 4:12 AM by PaulKemp

AIDS is really hilarious.

sorry, but that was tasteless.

Originally posted by NorthTexasHorn:

You had British Knights?

perhaps because he couldn't afford them, stole them from someone, the shoes couldn't stand him, and walked away. that's believable.

Maybe it was the roaches and rats carrying them off from my poor self!
That's believable.

loser.gif

Originally posted by flynavy22:
I will share my most recent ghost experience with you. It was about 8 years ago and I had gone through a divorce and was dating a girl that my grandmother most assuredly would not like and one evening I found that out for sure. My grandmothers house was empty, but the barn that I kept my boat in was on the same property. After putting the boat away, she asked me if there was a bathroom in the barn, but the only one was in the house. Since the house was empty, I told her to follow me to the house. This was in the early afternoon and we had not been drinking. She followed me into the house and was about three paces behind me, and after about ten steps in I stopped. I felt an overwhelming presence that I KNEW was my grandmother and that she did not want that girl in HER house. I slowly turned back to see her face was white as snow and hear her say, "we need to get out of here RIGHT NOW." .

This gets my vote for the combo of believability and spookiness.

fly, did you ever ask the girl what exactly she saw/felt? I imagine you did.

Not a big believer but I will say this.....go visit that place where the French woman tortured slaves in New Orleans and you will get the strangest feeling that you have ever had on your life.

Originally posted by Willow01:
Not a big believer but I will say this.....go visit that place where the French woman tortured slaves in New Orleans and you will get the strangest feeling that you have ever had on your life.

what place you talking about willow??

Originally posted by Willow01:

what place you talking about willow??

The LaLaurie House on Royal street. Place is wicked.

Just wicked.

The haunted history of the LaLaurie Mansion in New Orleans is perhaps one of the best known stories of haunted houses in the city. It tragically recounts the brutal excess of slavery in a horrifying and gruesome manner because for more than 150 years, and through several generations, the Lalaurie house has been considered the most haunted location in the French Quarter.
Let’s just say this story is not for the faint of heart.... and not for the weak of stomach either.

The origin of the ghostly tale dates back to 1832 when Dr. Louis Lalaurie and his wife, Delphine, moved into their Creole mansion in the French Quarter. They became renowned for their social affairs and were respected for their wealth and prominence. Madame Lalaurie became known as the most influential French-Creole woman in the city, handling the family’s business affairs and carrying herself with great style. Her daughters were among the finest dressed girls in New Orleans.
For those lucky enough to attend social functions at 1140 Royal Street, they were amazed by what they found there. The three-story mansion, although rather plain on the exterior, was graced with delicate iron work but the interior was lavish by anyone’s standards. The house had been made for grand events and occasions. Mahogany doors that were hand-carved with flowers and human faces opened into a bright parlors, illuminated by the glow of hundreds of candles in gigantic chandeliers. Guests dined from European china and danced and rested on Oriental fabrics which had been imported at great expense.
Madame Lalaurie was considered one of the most intelligent and beautiful women in the city. Those who received her attentions at the wonderful gatherings could not stop talking about her. Guests in her home were pampered as their hostess bustled about the house, seeing to their every need.
But this was the side of Madame Lalaurie the friends and admirers were allowed to see. There was another side. Beneath the delicate and refined exterior was a cruel, cold-blooded and possibly insane woman that some only suspected.... but others knew as fact.

The finery of the Lalaurie house was attended to by dozens of slaves and Madame Lalaurie was brutally cruel to them. She kept her cook chained to the fireplace in the kitchen where the sumptuous dinners were prepared and many of the others were treated much worse. We have to remember that, in those days, the slaves were not even regarded as being human. They were simply property and many slave owners thought of them as being lower than animals. Of course, this does not excuse the treatment of the slaves, or the institution of slavery itself, but merely serves as a reminder of just how insane Madame Lalaurie may have been.... because her mistreatment of the slaves went far beyond cruelty.
It was the neighbors on Royal Street who first began to suspect something was not quite right in the Lalaurie house. There were whispered conversations about how the Lalaurie slaves seemed to come and go quite often. Parlor maids would be replaced with no explanation or the stable boy was suddenly just disappear... never to be seen again.
Then, one day a neighbor was climbing her own stairs when she heard a scream and saw Madame Lalaurie chasing a little girl, the Madame’s personal servant, with a whip. She pursued the girl onto the roof of the house, where the child jumped to her death. The neighbor later saw the small slave girl buried in a shallow grave beneath the cypress trees in the yard.
A law that prohibited the cruel treatment of slaves was in effect in New Orleans and the authorities who investigated the neighbor’s claims impounded the Lalaurie slaves and sold them at auction. Unfortunately for them, Madame Lalaurie coaxed some relatives into buying them and then selling them back to her in secret.

The stories continued about the mistreatment of the Lalaurie slaves and uneasy whispering spread among her former friends. A few party invitations were declined, dinner invitations were ignored and the family was soon politely avoided by other members of the Creole society.
Finally, in April of 1834, all of the doubts about Madame Lalaurie were realized.....

A terrible fire broke out in the Lalaurie kitchen. Legend has it that it was set by the cook, who could endure no more of the Madame’s tortures. Regardless of how it started, the fire swept through the house.
After the blaze was put out, the fire fighters discovered a horrible sight behind a secret, barred door in the attic. They found more than a dozen slaves here, chained to the wall in a horrible state. They were both male and female.... some were strapped to makeshift operating tables... some were confined in cages made for dogs.... human body parts were scattered around and heads and human organs were placed haphazardly in buckets.... grisly souvenirs were stacked on shelves and next to them a collection of whips and paddles.
It was more horrible that anything created in man’s imagination.

According to the newspaper, the New Orleans Bee, all of the victims were naked and the ones not on tables were chained to the wall. Some of the women had their stomachs sliced open and their insides wrapped about their waists. One woman had her mouth stuffed with animal excrement and then her lips were sewn shut.
The men were in even more horrible states. Fingernails had been ripped off, eyes poked out, and private parts sliced away. One man hung in shackles with a stick protruding from a hole that had been drilled in the top of his head. It had been used to “stir” his brains.
The tortures had been administered so as to not bring quick death. Mouths had been pinned shut and hands had been sewn to various parts of the body. Regardless, many of them had been dead for quite some time. Others were unconscious and some cried in pain, begging to be killed and put out of their misery.
The fire fighters fled the scene in disgust and doctors were summoned from a nearby hospital. It is uncertain just how many slaves were found in Madame Lalaurie’s “torture chamber” but most of them were dead. There were a few who still clung to life.... like a woman whose arms and legs had been removed and another who had been forced into a tiny cage with all of her limbs broken than set again at odd angles.
Needless to say, the horrifying reports from the Lalaurie house were the most hideous things to ever occur in the city and word soon spread about the atrocities. It was believed that Madame Lalaurie alone was responsible for the horror and that her husband turned a blind, but knowing, eye to her activities.

Passionate words swept through New Orleans and a mob gathered outside the house, calling for vengeance and carrying hanging ropes. Suddenly, a carriage roared out of the gates and into the milling crowd. It soon disappeared out of sight.

Madame Lalaurie and her family were never seen again. Rumors circulated as to what became of them.... some said they ran away to France and others claimed they lived in the forest along the north shore of Lake Ponchatrain. Still other rumors claimed the family vanished into one of the small towns near New Orleans, where friends and relatives sheltered them from harm. Could this be true? And if so, could the terrible actions of Madame LaLaurie have "infected" another house in addition to the mansion in the French Quarter?

Whatever became of the Lalaurie family, there is no record that any legal action was ever taken against her and no mention that she was ever seen in New Orleans, or her fine home, again.
Of course, the same thing cannot be said for her victims.....

The stories of ghosts and a haunting at 1140 Royal Street began almost as soon as the Lalaurie carriage fled the house in the darkness.
After the mutilated slaves were removed from the house, it was sacked and vandalized by the mob. After a brief occupancy, the house remained vacant for many years after, falling into a state of ruin and decay. Many people claimed to hear screams of agony coming from the empty house at night and saw the apparitions of slaves walking about on the balconies and in the yards. Some stories even claimed that vagrants who had gone into the house seeking shelter were never heard from again.
The house had been placed on the market in 1837 and was purchased by a man who only kept it for three months. He was plagued by strange noises, cries and groans in the night and soon abandoned the place. He tried leasing the rooms for a short time, but the tenants only stayed for a few days at most. Finally, he gave up and the house was abandoned.

Following the Civil War, Reconstruction turned the empty Lalaurie mansion into an integrated high school for “girls of the Lower District” but in 1874, the White League forced the black children to leave the school. A short time later though, a segregationist school board changed things completely and made the school for black children only. This lasted for one year.
In 1882, the mansion once again became a center for New Orleans society when an English teacher turned it into a “conservatory of music and a fashionable dancing school”. All went well for some time as the teacher was well-known and attracted students from the finest of the local families.... but then things came to a terrible conclusion.
A local newspaper apparently printed an accusation against the teacher, claiming some improprieties with female students, just before a grand social event was to take place at the school. Students and guests shunned the place and the school closed the following day.

A few years later, more strange events plagued the house and it became the center for rumors regarding the death of Jules Vignie, the eccentric member of a wealthy New Orleans family. Vignie lived secretly in the house from the later 1880’s until his death in 1892. He was found dead on a tattered cot in the mansion, apparently living in filth, while hidden away in the surrounding rooms was a collection of antiques and treasure. A bag containing several hundred dollars was found near his body and another search found several thousand dollars hidden in his mattress.
For some time after, rumors of a lost treasure circulated about the mansion.... but few dared to go in search of it.

The house was abandoned again until the late 1890’s. In this time of great immigration to America, many Italians came to live in New Orleans. Landlords quickly bought up old and abandoned buildings to convert into cheap housing for this new wave of renters. The Lalaurie mansion became just such a house.... and for many of the tenants even the low rent was not enough to keep them there.
During the time when the mansion was an apartment house, a number of strange events were recorded. Among them was an encounter between a occupant and a naked black man in chains who attacked him. The black man abruptly vanished. Others claimed to have animals butchered in the house; children were attacked by a phantom with a whip; strange figures appeared wrapped in shrouds; a young mother was terrified to find a woman in elegant evening clothes bending over her sleeping infant; and of course, the ever-present sounds of screams, groans and cries that would reverberate through the house at night.
It was never easy to keep tenants in the house and finally, after word spread of the strange goings-on there, the mansion was deserted once again.

The house would later become a bar and then a furniture store. The saloon, taking advantage of the building’s ghastly history was called the “Haunted Saloon”. The owner knew many of the building’s ghost stories and kept a record of the strange things experienced by patrons.
The furniture store did not fare as well in the former Lalaurie house. The owner first suspected vandals when all of his merchandise was found ruined on several occasions, covered in some sort of dark, stinking liquid. He finally waited one night with a shotgun, hoping the vandals would return. When dawn came, the furniture was all ruined again even though no one, human anyway, had entered the building. The owner closed the place down.

Today, the house has been renovated and restored and serves as luxury apartments for those who can afford them. Apparently, tenants are a little easier to keep today than they were one hundred years ago.

Is the Lalaurie house still haunted? I really don’t know for sure, but one has to wonder if the spirits born from this type of tragedy can ever really rest?
A few years ago, the owners of the house were in the midst of remodeling when they found a hasty graveyard hidden in the back of the house beneath the wooden floor. The skeletal remains had been dumped unceremoniously into the ground and when officials investigated, they found the remains to be of fairly recent origins.
They believed that it was Madame Lalaurie’s own private graveyard. She had removed sections of the floor in the house and had hastily buried them to avoid being seen and detected. The discovery of the remains answered one question and unfortunately created another. The mystery of why some of the Lalaurie slaves seemed to just simply disappear was solved at last..... but it does make you wonder just how many victims Madame Lalaurie may have claimed?

And how many of them may still be lingering behind in our world?

My Dad got a phone call from his dead grandfather....Very staticky and just kept saying "DAH-vid.." Which is what he called my dad. REALLY freaked my old man out. .

I had a really strange encounter last night with what seemed to be come sort of spirit. I was chilling in my room playing xbox (my door was closed)... Then I heard a voice from downstairs that called my name a couple times (it almost sounded like a whisper, but it was loud at the same time). I walked out and looked downstairs thinking it might be my dad, but there was no one there and all of the lights were still turned off. Later on I saw a couple shadows drifting along the wall at the top of my stairs, but once again, nothing was there. For the rest of the night, I felt a presence drifting over me that didn't seem like it wanted to hurt me, but it scared the mess out of me.

this morning I talked to my parents about it, thinking that they would say I'm crazy, but they both said they have heard voices calling their names throughout the house over the last couple months but they also felt like it didn't want to harm them or anything.

I really wish i knew what this thing was, or how to get rid of it, because it scares the crap outta me.

Originally posted by boomer2320:
Originally posted by Hbacker:
Originally posted by regger13:

my wife told me one. there is a railroad crossing in San Antonio. if you stop your car on the tracks, after a bit something slowly moves your car forward and it's not because of an incline or the weather. it's a crossing where someone was killed when trying to pass. and it's not a one time episode. strange.

Hey TEX(AUS), I dated a girl from San Antonio in college. One weekend we went took a trip to SA and she took me to the tracks. According to the locals, a school bus full of kids got stuck on the tracks and were killed by a train. If a vehicle stops on the tracks, the car will be "pushed" off of the tracks and into the clear. When we went to the tracks, there must have been 10 other groups of people who came to experience "the push". Some people brought flour with them to sprinkle across their trunk and bumper, because apparently they can see children's hand prints on the back of their car.

The Travel Channel included The Tracks in the top ten haunted places in the US. They sent a team out there to take measurements and they said the ground is perfectly level so there is no sloping of the ground to cause your car to roll forward. Pretty interesting stuff.

The SA "haunted" RR tracks is a myth. No such accident ever occurred in SA.

It is a myth (check snopes if you dont believe it), but I have a story about it anyways.

One night while I was at Texas State (no affliction shirt) we took a midnight trip out there and tested the story, which actually turned into an extremely weird encounter night.

3 vehicles went out there: My truck, my roommate's truck and our friend Ross' truck. There were about 12 of us out there and we take turns stopping on the tracks. We put flour on the back to look for hand prints and everything.

Ok, here's a description of the area: There's maybe 200yrds of street before the tracks. After the tracks, there's about 30 feet of road and then the road turns 90 degrees to the right. From there the road parallels the tracks for a long way.

That night, after a few attempts and no success we decide to give up but someone wants to try one more time. My truck and my roommate's are parked at the top of the hill (no the street is not flat) and we take Ross' truck to the tracks. While we're dusting his tailgate with flour a small car comes roaring down the road paralleling the tracks with no lights on. The car slams on its brakes sliding sideways and stopping just before the 90 degree turn and just sits there.

By the time this car comes to a stop, Ross has already jumped back in the drivers seat, the cab was filled and the remaining people have jumped in the bed of the truck...everyone except for me.

Terrified, he throws it in reverse and peels out backwards getting away from the axe murderer that has to be driving this car leaving me in the middle of the road at 2am and 200 yards away from my truck.

This all happened within about 10 seconds so my thought processes were somewhat handicapped. I'd decided that I was already doing something stupid (testing a ghost story) so I might as well meet the newcomers and started walking toward their car. They turned their headlights on and drove up to me.

The initial sight of the occupants of this car was somewhat disconcerting. All Mexicans, there were 2 males who couldn't have been more than 14, a Mexican girl who never spoke but looked like she was 20 something and a baby in a car seat. The two boys were in the front and were still smoking weed when they pulled up to me. They rolled the window down and asked if they'd scared us and then said that they were just trying to see how fast they could go without headlights down that road when the turn came up faster than they expected.

At this point, the absurdity of the situation was starting to sink in and I just started laughing, I didn't know what else to do.

I guess he was satisfied with my reaction because he just rolled up the window, turned around, switched the headlights off and took off down the street again with out another word...

...second strangest night of my life.

a few years ago i stayed at a former monestary turned four star hotel called villa san michele overlooking florence italy. i was alone, but there for a wedding of some friends also staying at the hotel.

i got there the night before the wedding and took a cab into downtown to get some dinner and a couple glasses of wine. i mean it when i say i had no more than three glasses of wine and went back to the hotel. i went to bed early because the wedding was in the morning.

i tossed and turned all night until i felt someone sit on the bed around 3am. my eyes were wide as can be but i just sat there and kept telling myself that it was all in my head... that you've heard about this a thousand times and you're just sleepy. in the next minute two hands grabbed my right arm and squeezed. i let out three of the highest pitched girliest screams you can imagine. (i think i left my man card when i checked out). i didn't get out of bed, but i turned the tv on and checked the room from the bed. the only channel in english was cnn, so i saw the indiana/detroit basketball brawl probably 20 times before the breakfast opened and i felt safe getting out of my bed.

anyway, my friends thought it was better to tell everyone than to "keep it between us" and it raised a couple of eyebrows. the wedding coordinator used to work at the hotel and asked if i was staying in one of the four rooms above the front desk (out of 80 or so rooms). i was... and she explained that more than 200 years ago a friar was "excused" from the monestary for suspicion of murdering another friar in one of those four rooms.

i've tried many times to convince myself it was my mind playing tricks, but it simply something i couldn't dismiss. i really don't like sounding crazy, but it is what it is.

Reactions: GO_HORNS_GO
i've got only one. at a friend's one time the stereo turned itself on loud as hell and scrolled through all the stations by itself. there were four of us in the room though, so we just kinda went back to playing video games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT