ADVERTISEMENT

Over/Under on Patterson

UTGrad87

Jan 8, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Whats the Over/Under on the number of years before Patterson gets the boot? I'm thinking about 2.5.

And I'm hoping for the Under.

If the rumors of Joe Jamail not renewing his tickets are true the O/U should be months or days not years.

He is a Pro sports guy who is most at home in Pacific time. He was a bad choice for a Texas AD - or AD of any school not in the old Pac 10.

Luck is who most wanted on the first go! Patterson isn't going anywhere, soon.

Who cares about Joe Jamail. He's still supremely butthurt Mack is gone and was a tremendous a-hole during that transition. Big deal. The waiting list for suites is 200 long.

As far as I'm concerned he forced out Mack Brown and Rick Barnes so he can't be doing that bad. Joe Jamail is a 90 year old, nasty, bitter old man who probably won't live much longer anyway. If Strong and Smart start to win big everything will be alright.

He is the PT Barnum of college sports. He is NOT and I repeat NOT what we need. Rewind to last year and I TOLD you guys how arrogant Patterson was when dealing with former players. He didn't need or want any input. This is a guy that has never played organized sports on ANY level. EVER. Forgive me for saying this but, when running an ATHLETIC department, shouldn't you have just a little bit of first hand knowledge as to what it is like to actually BE an athlete? I'm not saying it ALWAYS has to be that way, but certainly being able to relate to the athletes, have intrinsic knowledge of sports, and understanding the program through not only the coaches eyes, but also the eyes of the athletes, IMO is important.

This a$$ clown is concerned about one thing only--- MONEY. The D-bag was handed the most profitable athletic program in the HISTORY of the world. He didn't need to make it MORE profitable. He needs to be more about the PEOPLE and less about the money. The money will take care of itself. He has alienated many big boosters as well as faculty and staff, not to mention the former players. He MUST be fired and replaced.

Oliver Luck made it to the finals during his interviewing process. THIS is the man we need to lead us into the future. I'm not saying I lie in bed at night hoping Patterson gets clobbered by one of the 40 acre buses, but I sure won't lose any sleep if he does.

Yeah, I supported Patterson's hire at first. He did a good job of landing Strong and Smart . . . by my gawd, how many VIP's can this guy piss off in 1 year?? Quite a few apparently. He just doesn't seem to fit the UT culture at all. And the emphasis needs to be on winning, not making more money off higher ticket prices.

A bad culture fit is not good anywhere, especially UT. See John Mackovic.

Remember when we ignored all the haters that warned us about him? We should've listened!

Yes we're rich but I don't think athletics can afford another buyout so the only interesting option is to put Mack in charge. Except the Strong Mack relationship would be weird.

He did a good job of landing Strong and Smart . . .
He fired Mack and Rick, not as smoothly as desired, but that thankless task is now behind us; and he closed the deal with Strong and Smart.

That's worth the price of his buyout, and we should start shopping for a friendly face who can take advantage of the (knock wood) soon to be coming wins.

Hook 'em

I would guess his fate is tied to the success of Strong and to a lesser extent Smart. All of this hand wringing is trivial in a program that's winning, of course in a program that isn't winning this kind of stuff festers.

I would guess his fate is tied to the success of Strong and to a lesser extent Smart. All of this hand wringing is trivial in a program that's winning, of course in a program that isn't winning this kind of stuff festers.

That would be unfortunate if his fate is tied to those two hires. I'm pretty optimistic about those two. I'm more concerned with what he'll do with A) alienating alumni and fans in favor of $$, B) alienating student fans, C) where and how he'll build the new basketball arena (which ties in to B a lot), D) scheduling the more exciting regular season football series in places like Dubai and Mexico City instead of as home/home series (which ties to A and B a lot), and E) allowing the rest of the athletic programs to suffer because they aren't exploding with $$$.

If he does get canned (and, I mean, it sounds like a lot of people working with him, both above him at UT and below him in the athletic department, may not get along with him so well) Luck would be an interesting replacement. He probably won't be quite as conservative as Dodds was (i.e., conference realignment might have been more exciting for Texas) and will likely say or do a few dumb things in the process, but overall we'd be making more forward progress under him I think. I always felt that Tom Jurich was a good candidate as well. I had almost thought we might get Jurich and Strong as a package deal back when things were changing. Given Louisville's reputation prior to a few years ago, he's done an amazing job there across all of the major sports.

Put me in the I want Patterson gone camp. The only thing he could do that would make me like him would be if He really,really,really screwed over red McCombs.

Put me in the I want Patterson gone camp. The only thing he could do that would make me like him would be if He really,really,really screwed over red McCombs.
He did that already when he found out mccombs jet was fueling and heading to tampa to pick up Jon gruden. He named strong head coach hours later.

If he is somewhere between a John Mackovic and a Jerry Jones then I doubt his style will last long at Texas.In that job,you can never make everyone happy but the donors and long time fans could send his ass out of town.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT