ADVERTISEMENT

Pre season camp

They’ve still got Huggy Bear at right tackle and the Human False Start Flag at center. I expect to be behind the chains at least 30% of the 3rd downs.
Jones was really good last year. He only had 6 penalties on 876 snaps last season in 13 games. His play was very underrated last year. I believe he's got NFL draft potential this year with another strong season.

Majors on the other hand drives me up a wall with the false start penalties. He's good for at least 1 a game.

Reactions: westx
this staff may be smart enough to avoid the pitfall. but there is an opinion out there that ohio state got TOO good at wr, the group they keep talking about with us. the theory goes that ohio state feels the need to make sure all those wr get enough touches, and in turn, that's turned them into a very finesse team. which makes them susceptible to michigan coming in with bloody knuckles and broken teeth and just pounding them mercilessly.

now, if we start having ohio state problems-- losing national semis, maybe struggling with 1 conference opponent a year-- that's really good. but i'd still prefer to not fall into that trap as we (hopefully) grow. actually, if they'd had a playoff in the early 2000s before tomey/robinson/chizik arrived, that sounds almost exactly like what we'd have been then.
That Ohio State offense made that Georgia defense look silly in the semifinal game last season. They should have won that game if not for their defense. I'll take losing in the semis all day long over going 8-5 again.

Reactions: hookem777
I am concerned about the pass pro when we play Alabama. IT is saying that DJ Campbell will be starting. He is awesome at run blocking but is suspect in pass pro. Also, they have been saying that Cedric Baxter is the #2 RB. I have never seen a freshman RB that can pick up blitzes well. Anyway, we can't afford to get QE injured again.

Secondly, we couldn't run on Washington in the bowl game. I won't believe that we can run the ball on Bama til I see it. We can go 11-1 or 10-2 but if we lose Ewers we won't win 10 games. It could be a frustrating season at times. We have some issues if I can see them. I'm not a coach and this is obvious.

Look for teams to try and capitalize on DJ Campbell's pass pro and our inability to run the ball without Bijan Robinson. Campbell better make our line much better at the run than what was displayed in the Alamo Bowl vs Washington.

Last edited:
I wonder what Big 12 coach said this about Ewers.

Yes, Ewers is a problem. Here's the deal. The Josh Pate dude is saying that in Texas practice, we can't run up the middle (per Chip Brown). He is saying that our D Line is stronger than last year which is not true.

Problems: Running the ball. We could not run on Washington without Bijan.

Pass pro up the middle with DJ Campbell. His pass pro is suspect. Ewers can get happy feet and choke.

Quinn Ewers: Not discipline. We will find out early against Bama but I think a better game will be at Baylor when there is no hype and Aranda has Ewers film from Bama.

Jake Majors is a liability.

Go to 7:15

I hope that I am wrong but there could be a tremendous amount of pressure on Ewers going into the Baylor game. Especially if we are facing 2-2 and 0-1 in the conference.

Last edited:
Yes, Ewers is a problem. Here's the deal. The Josh Pate dude is saying that in Texas practice, we can't run up the middle. He is saying that our D Line is stronger than last year which is not true.

Problems: Running the ball. We could not run on Washington without Bijan.

Pass pro up the middle with DJ Campbell. His pass pro is suspect. Ewers can get happy feet and choke.

Quinn Ewers: Not discipline. We will find out early against Bama but I think a better game will be at Baylor when there is no hype and Baylor has Ewers film from Bama.

Jake Majors is a liability.

Go to 7:15

Literally watch a video this week from this same dude who said Texas wins the big 12 and makes the playoffs...idk where you're getting your camp news but I'm reading different. Quinn has had a amazing camp and word is his footwork and decision making has made leaps and bounds. He's making checks at the line too. I agree majors will lose his job eventually but DJ is a beast and you'll see soon enough.

As far as running the ball. Did you watch the Washington game ? Sark gave up on the run early because we fell behind. I wouldn't base that game on how we are running the ball this year..

And yes sir...our dline is definitely stronger this year than last year. Again we're getting different reports.

Reactions: Metcalf #2
Literally watch a video this week from this same dude who said Texas wins the big 12 and makes the playoffs...idk where you're getting your camp news but I'm reading different. Quinn has had a amazing camp and word is his footwork and decision making has made leaps and bounds. He's making checks at the line too. I agree majors will lose his job eventually but DJ is a beast and you'll see soon enough.

As far as running the ball. Did you watch the Washington game ? Sark gave up on the run early because we fell behind. I wouldn't base that game on how we are running the ball this year..

And yes sir...our dline is definitely stronger this year than last year. Again we're getting different reports.
My sources are above. The Cowherd segment and Chip Brown from 247. Also, my own eyes from the bowl game. IT serves the fruit punch a little strong for my taste.

My sources are above. The Cowherd segment and Chip Brown from 247. Also, my own eyes from the bowl game. IT serves the fruit punch a little strong for my taste.
If your sources are Cowherd and Chip Brown then you need to get new sources lol. I haven't heard a single negative thing about Ewers or the offensive line all camp long.

And if you remember how good we looked in that bowl game against Colorado and came out and fell flat on our face the next year? The bowl game holds no weight on what's going to happen this year.

And as far as IT, Bobby Burton is the biggest pessimist out of all Texas media. If he says he likes the way this team has looked in camp so far then i'll believe it. He's always pretty much called it like it is.

Last edited:
If your sources are Cowherd and Chip Brown then you need to get new sources lol. I haven't heard a single negative thing about Ewers or the offensive line all camp long.
Two things-

1. Every day there are pass-rush drills. Each 1 on 1 is timed. 3 seconds to get to the QB dummy. Dline has been struggling.
2. Hard to gauge run blocking ability as everyone is trying to stay up and avoid injury.
A premium is being put on avoiding injury because of depth.

Two things-

1. Every day there are pass-rush drills. Each 1 on 1 is timed. 3 seconds to get to the QB dummy. Dline has been struggling.
2. Hard to gauge run blocking ability as everyone is trying to stay up and avoid injury.
A premium is being put on avoiding injury because of depth.
Our offensive line was a really good pass blocking unit last year and they returned all 5 starters. That is minus Cole Hutson who has been overtook by DJ Campbell. But the caveat to that is DJ Campbell is a better player, and has a higher ceiling.

Run blocking is the biggest question mark to me. There were times last year where they were really damn good against some good fronts (2nd half of the Baylor and Iowa State games). Then there were games last year where they got completely manhandled late in games. (Bama, K-State). I think a lot of that was due to the inexperience and starting 3 underclassmen. I expect them to be a lot better this year.

I have a lot of faith in Kyle Flood and what his development so far since he's been here. He's taken Christian Jones and turned him into a guy who has a decent shot of playing on Sunday's. And he was nowhere near that after the 2020 season. Kelvin Banks is likely a top 10 draft pick after next season. That's why i'm pretty optimistic about the offensive line coming into this year.

Our offensive line was a really good pass blocking unit last year and they returned all 5 starters. That is minus Cole Hutson who has been overtook by DJ Campbell. But the caveat to that is DJ Campbell is a better player, and has a higher ceiling.

Run blocking is the biggest question mark to me. There were times last year where they were really damn good against some good fronts (2nd half of the Baylor and Iowa State games). Then there were games last year where they got completely manhandled late in games. (Bama, K-State). I think a lot of that was due to the inexperience and starting 3 underclassmen. I expect them to be a lot better this year.

I have a lot of faith in Kyle Flood and what his development so far since he's been here. He's taken Christian Jones and turned him into a guy who has a decent shot of playing on Sunday's. And he was nowhere near that after the 2020 season. Kelvin Banks is likely a top 10 draft pick after next season. That's why i'm pretty optimistic about the offensive line coming into this year.
The tackles are solid. It's the interior's inaability to push (Majors) on run and Campbell's inexperience in pass pro. that concern me. Yes, eweres was basically a freshman last year and was adequate but broken pass pro from campbell and baxter is a real problem. I would love to shove the east and northeast media's narative up their ass but until we prove the dipshit yankee's wrong, we need to be aware of any constructive criticism that our longhorn media does not address. I really like where this team is headed and Sark is all class and doing an excellent job. Texas is a tough gig. Anyway, the refs, youth, and inexperience are going to cause some pain this year in key areas. Don't drink the kool-aide. If we can get second with a very difficult b12 schedule and win the b12 championship game, I will be thrilled. We are everyone's superbowl and that is difficult to overcome much less the referees screwing us.

Our depth is a big plus but it is young.

Last edited:
The tackles are solid. It's the interior's inaability to push (Majors) on run and Campbell's inexperience in pass pro. that concern me. Yes, eweres was basically a freshman last year and was adequate but broken pass pro from campbell and baxter is a real problem. I would love to shove the east and northeast media's narative up their ass but until we prove the dipshit yankee's wrong, we need to be aware of any constructive criticism that our longhorn media does not address. I really like where this team is headed and Sark is all class and doing an excellent job. Texas is a tough gig. Anyway, the refs, youth, and inexperience are going to cause some pain this year in key areas. Don't drink the kool-aide. If we can get second with a very difficult b12 schedule and win the b12 championship game, I will be thrilled. We are everyone's superbowl and that is difficult to overcome much less the referees screwing us.

11-1 big 12 championships. Book it

Jonathan Brooks is our starting RB, not Baxter.

someone on HS mentioned his friend got to see a practice and when Neyer caught a pass it was like fairy dust....He could not hear a thing. However when Cain caught one ( and he said he caught every one) you could loudly hear it. I seem to remember Clob talking about how loud ole skillet hands Burk caught the ball...

Reactions: Metcalf #2
Jonathan Brooks is our starting RB, not Baxter.
Baxter is #2 per IT. Freshman can't pick up blitzes. Brooks gets dinged easily so Baxter is going to get a lot of reps in passing situations, not ideal. Ewers was marginal last season. His processing and release time better be significantly improved. If not, problems.

Last edited:
someone on HS mentioned his friend got to see a practice and when Neyer caught a pass it was like fairy dust....He could not hear a thing. However when Cain caught one ( and he said he caught every one) you could loudly hear it. I seem to remember Clob talking about how loud ole skillet hands Burk caught the ball...
It sounded like a wet hand slapping a side of beef.

Exactly. You can’t hear soft hands. Cain got spatula hands.

Baxter is #2 per IT. Freshman can't pick up blitzes. Brooks gets dinged easily so Baxter is going to get a lot of reps in passing situations, not ideal. Ewers was marginal last season. His processing and release time better be significantly improved. If not, problems.
I agree that he will be getting playing time but your saying one of our major weaknesses is a backup freshman RB having to block. If that is at the top of the list of our weaknesses then I think we will be in pretty good shape overall because you can draw up plays to beat those blitzes if teams start doing it too often. Besides, there are many more teams with bigger problems than that. I think it all comes down to Ewers and Sark's game plans.

So you do listen to IT...

I agree that he will be getting playing time but your saying one of our major weaknesses is a backup freshman RB having to block. If that is at the top of the list of our weaknesses then I think we will be in pretty good shape overall because you can draw up plays to beat those blitzes if teams start doing it too often. Besides, there are many more teams with bigger problems than that. I think it all comes down to Ewers and Sark's game plans.
Hookem

i like cowherd-- i know not everybody does, but i do. anyway, i think he's off on this one. why? well, i think most of us realize that ewers was essentially a true freshman last year. add to that that he got banged up early, and worthy was his only deep threat (and i haven't forgotten that worthy wasn't going after balls that didn't land directly in his hands).

i am interested in seeing ewers this year, but he's not high on my huge concerns list.

i like cowherd-- i know not everybody does, but i do. anyway, i think he's off on this one. why? well, i think most of us realize that ewers was essentially a true freshman last year. add to that that he got banged up early, and worthy was his only deep threat (and i haven't forgotten that worthy wasn't going after balls that didn't land directly in his hands).

i am interested in seeing ewers this year, but he's not high on my huge concerns list.
we also tried to play worthy in a spot he isnt made for. He isnt the deep threat we want. He is the get the ball quick and get in space kind of player.

Reactions: westx
Alamo Bowl:

Drive 1

1 - Keilan Robinson is our starting RB, lol. He isn't going to get many carries this year
2 - The TEs got split and Ewers was sacked from behind as he was stepping up in the pocket about to throw
3 - Looked like Ewers threw off his back foot a bit and the deep ball was short, but X gave no attempt to adjust...none.

Nothing loose or back yard ball about this drive

Drive 2

After a ST penalty we started on our 10 yd line

1 - Again...KRob is the RB, lol. We run BUCK stretch/sweep (verbage depends on the individual OC) and 76 misses his block doesn't touch a soul. SMFH. Bailed out by a facemask

2 - Straight BOB pass pro. Ewers delivers a strike to X on a 10 yard out across the hashes to the far numbers.

3 - Same as play 2...Ewers hits Whitt on a quick 7 yard out...ball on his sternum. Ball gets there quick, Whitt has time to find a gap and get a first down.

4 - KRob still at RB, smh. Orbit motion with X...we run basic inside zone. KRob dances around after the handoff. Not all his fault as Banks whiffs and falls down and Majors gets blown the **** up...shocker. There was a cut back as JT came across the inside zone to kick out the back side. No gain

5 - Holy shit, SMFH. Play action...to KRob...RG pulls to protect back side as Ewers reverses out (to get LBs eyes moving wrong way....Whitt gonna run a crossing route on top of them. Well, RG stops in A gap for some dumbass reason, KRob runs into him carrying out his fake, RG falls down. RDE has a free rush at Ewers....Ewers escapes, tries to look down field...throws the ball away when other pressure comes to him.

6 - Screen to KRob. Set up well. All 4 DL eliminated from the play. Defense playing STICKS coverage with 2 LBs on the hashes. Perfect play call. 76 and 65, which I guess was Hutson and of course Majors, can't block one effing guy near the sticks...he splits those two and makes the tackle. So instead of new set of downs, it is 4th and 2.

7 - Tight trips to the field...Cain in the backfield. Cain runs an arrow. Perfect play call. Ewers throws with touch over the DE. Easy first down. Cain has blocking TE speed, lol

8 - Inside zone with JET motion from Whitt. Brooks at RB finally. Ewers eyes on the LBs so it is obviously RPO. I'm not understanding the route combos as X runs a 10 yard DIG, which is too deep for this field position. Whitt runs a WHEEL that is immediately covered. The LBs fit so Ewers keeps, but nobody to throw to, throws it away. Somebody screwed up, I don't know who.

9 - False start. TE and RG...ffs

10 - We're on left hash. Motion Brooks to the sideline. It's a quick snap screen. He slips after catching it, loses his momentum. Hutson, who is 54 (I was wrong above) and Jones release to block. Jones gets his block. Hutson doesn't do shit. The other problem was the backside. Conner (LG) and Banks (LT). Both of these guys allow the 3t and DE to beat them inside and so they have pursuit angles disallowing Brooks to get inside of Jones' block. Shit.

11 - Wing Trips (what I call it) to the field. Sanders is off the LT, Whitt motions under X. We have 3 on 4 on that side. Numbers down. Cain is solo on sideline. 1 on 1 with safety help. Ewers takes the snap, looks to Whitt and X's side...freezes the boundary safety, looks back and delivers a nice mini fade ball to Cain...Cain is pushed OB and it is incomplete. Ewers can in fact not stare down receivers.

12 - FG

Drive 3

1 - TE screen to the boundary. Nothing special...just get it to JT quickly. Done. Jones not fast enough to release from RT to get leverage on defender. 2 or 3 yard gain

2 - Brooks in at RB. Inside zone. Good push on the right side. Conner loses leverage and his man gets to Brooks but 2-3 yards past the LOS. Conner's hat is on the wrong side which eliminates any possibility of a cut. Still a decent play. 3 or 4 yard gain. Newsflash - Brooks is a better RB and KRob, lol

3 - BOB pass pro. Nice route combo on trips side, but it is a decoy. X has solo coverage on field side with inside safety help. X runs a 10 stop and whip. Ewers puts it on his belly button. The ball gets there so fast, the CB is still 4 yards away from X, LOL.

4 - Inside zone. C/RG combo block on 2i. Majors doesn't see the LB fitting in time. Whiffs. Guess who makes the TFL in the backfield? Yep. Majors is a problem man. We need him to actually get better. I won't hold my breath.

5 - Quick slant to X. CB is tight on X. Ewers puts it on his sternum again. 9 or 10 yard gain.

6 - Max protect. Two man route. Both guys run vertical into cover 2. Ewers recognizes this immediately, sees a nice lane on the left side. Tucks, runs and picks up first down.

7 - Counter. With the DL front, Conner (LG) and Sanders (WingTE) pull. Sanders sucked...didn't block anyone. Brooks does a good job of lowering his pads and getting 2 yards. Also, does Majors ever get tired of getting his ass whipped?

8 - Bob pass pro. Majors....again...ffs....again....is late to recognize danger to his gap. Ewers sees the trouble and flings one sidearm without a solid base but hits Sanders on the 0. I guess that is some backyard ball there...because if you don't stand like a statue in the pocket to be a pinata you're a backyard ball flinger right?

9 - Quick screen out to Red. Whitt actually loses a block...don't see that much. Red tackled for no gain.

10 - RPO. X gets separation. Ewers ****s up here and throws it behind X. 100% on Ewers.

1 "backyard" ball play. 1 total **** up. Nothing loose or crazy.

Drive #4

Didn't watch the plays because it was 3 Keilan Robinson running plays FFS. Had to punt

Went back and watched anyway.

1 - Blocked well. Outside zone. KRob recognizes the hole. 7 yards

2 - KRob is not a short yardage back ffs. Brooks gets that 1st down

3 - KRob is not a short yardage back ffs. Brooks gets that 1st down

4 - punt

Now, if I need to watch the rest of the Washington game I will, but I think the point is made. Cowherd is full of shit about this back yard football bullshit. And the basketball player, turned QB analyst needs to watch some more film.

I was hard on Ewers in the middle of the year last year. Probably too much, but he was bad for about 2-3 games. He was not bad in the bowl game. I thought he showed lots of growth. Maybe he was in fact hurt and not 100% whilst being a freshman.

Last edited:
Alamo Bowl:

Drive 1

1 - Keilan Robinson is our starting RB, lol. He isn't going to get many carries this year
2 - The TEs got split and Ewers was sacked from behind as he was stepping up in the pocket about to throw
3 - Looked like Ewers threw off his back foot a bit and the deep ball was short, but X gave no attempt to adjust...none.

Drive 2

After a ST penalty we started on our 10 yd line

1 - Again...KRob is the RB, lol. We run BUCK stretch/sweep (verbage depends on the individual OC) and 76 misses his block doesn't touch a soul. SMFH. Bailed out by a facemask

2 - Straight BOB pass pro. Ewers delivers a strike to X on a 10 yard out across the hashes to the far numbers.

3 - Same as play 2...Ewers hits Whitt on a quick 7 yard out...ball on his sternum. Ball gets there quick, Whitt has time to find a gap and get a first down.

4 - KRob still at RB, smh. Orbit motion with X...we run basic inside zone. KRob dances around after the handoff. Not all his fault as Banks whiffs and falls down and Majors gets blown the **** up...shocker. There was a cut back as JT came across the inside zone to kick out the back side. No gain

5 - Holy shit, SMFH. Play action...to KRob...RG pulls to protect back side as Ewers reverses out (to get LBs eyes moving wrong way....Whitt gonna run a crossing route on top of them. Well, RG stops in A gap for some dumbass reason, KRob runs into him carrying out his fake, RG falls down. RDE has a free rush at Ewers....Ewers escapes, tries to look down field...throws the ball away when other pressure comes to him.

6 - Screen to KRob. Set up well. All 4 DL eliminated from the play. Defense playing STICKS coverage with 2 LBs on the hashes. Perfect play call. 76 and 65, which I guess was Hutson and of course Majors, can't block one effing guy near the sticks...he splits those two and makes the tackle. So instead of new set of downs, it is 4th and 2.

7 - Tight trips to the field...Cain in the backfield. Cain runs an arrow. Perfect play call. Ewers throws with touch over the DE. Easy first down. Cain has blocking TE speed, lol

8 - Inside zone with JET motion from Whitt. Brooks at RB finally. Ewers eyes on the LBs so it is obviously RPO. I'm not understanding the route combos as X runs a 10 yard DIG, which is too deep for this field position. Whitt runs a WHEEL that is immediately covered. The LBs fit so Ewers keeps, but nobody to throw to, throws it away. Somebody screwed up, I don't know who.

9 - False start. TE and RG...ffs

10 - We're on left hash. Motion Brooks to the sideline. It's a quick snap screen. He slips after catching it, loses his momentum. Hutson, who is 54 (I was wrong above) and Jones release to block. Jones gets his block. Hutson doesn't do shit. The other problem was the backside. Conner (LG) and Banks (LT). Both of these guys allow the 3t and DE to beat them inside and so they have pursuit angles disallowing Brooks to get inside of Jones' block. Shit.

11 - Wing Trips (what I call it) to the field. Sanders is off the LT, Whitt motions under X. We have 3 on 4 on that side. Numbers down. Cain is solo on sideline. 1 on 1 with safety help. Ewers takes the snap, looks to Whitt and X's side...freezes the boundary safety, looks back and delivers a nice mini fade ball to Cain...Cain is pushed OB and it is incomplete. Ewers can in fact not stare down receivers.

12 - FG

Drive 3

1 - TE screen to the boundary. Nothing special...just get it to JT quickly. Done. Jones not fast enough to release from RT to get leverage on defender. 2 or 3 yard gain

2 - Brooks in at RB. Inside zone. Good push on the right side. Conner loses leverage and his man gets to Brooks but 2-3 yards past the LOS. Conner's hat is on the wrong side which eliminates any possibility of a cut. Still a decent play. 3 or 4 yard gain. Newsflash - Brooks is a better RB and KRob, lol

3 - BOB pass pro. Nice route combo on trips side, but it is a decoy. X has solo coverage on field side with inside safety help. X runs a 10 stop and whip. Ewers puts it on his belly button. The ball gets there so fast, the CB is still 4 yards away from X, LOL.

4 - Inside zone. C/RG combo block on 2i. Majors doesn't see the LB fitting in time. Whiffs. Guess who makes the TFL in the backfield? Yep. Majors is a problem man. We need him to actually get better. I won't hold my breath.

5 - Quick slant to X. CB is tight on X. Ewers puts it on his sternum again. 9 or 10 yard gain.

6 - Max protect. Two man route. Both guys run vertical into cover 2. Ewers recognizes this immediately, sees a nice lane on the left side. Tucks, runs and picks up first down.

7 - Counter. With the DL front, Conner (LG) and Sanders (WingTE) pull. Sanders sucked...didn't block anyone. Brooks does a good job of lowering his pads and getting 2 yards. Also, does Majors ever get tired of getting his ass whipped?

8 - Bob pass pro. Majors....again...ffs....again....is late to recognize danger to his gap. Ewers sees the trouble and flings one sidearm without a solid base but hits Sanders on the 0. I guess that is some backyard ball there...because if you don't stand like a statue in the pocket to be a pinata you're a backyard ball flinger right?

9 - Quick screen out to Red. Whitt actually loses a block...don't see that much. Red tackled for no gain.

10 - RPO. X gets separation. Ewers ****s up here and throws it behind X. 100% on Ewers.

1 "backyard" ball play. 1 total **** up. Nothing loose or crazy.

Drive #4

Didn't watch the plays because it was 3 Keilan Robinson running plays FFS. Had to punt

Now, if I need to watch the rest of the Washington game I will, but I think the point is made. Cowherd is full of shit about this back yard football bullshit. And the basketball player, turned QB analyst needs to watch some more film.

I was hard on Ewers in the middle of the year last year. Probably too much, but he was bad for about 2-3 games. He was not bad in the bowl game. I thought he showed lots of growth. Maybe he was in fact hurt and not 100% whilst being a freshman.
He was 2 dropped passes away from eclipsing 400 yards in that bowl game. And that was without zero help from the run game. Just imagine what adding Neyor and AD Mitchell to this passing attack is going to do.

As far as the interior offensive line, Campbell has overtook Hutson and it sounds like Neto is really damn close to stealing the LG spot from Connor. Maybe they can move Hutson or Connor inside to center and fix that issue. I’m with you, I just don’t see it with Majors. He was making mistakes last year that 3rd year players shouldn’t make.

Reactions: weevilcatch
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT