ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting thread (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
no bubba....I disagree. DKR played young guys...in games...every game. DKR would keep his foot on the gas and when the lead got big, he ran in the second string...and kept his foot on the gas...and when the lead got silly, he put in the third string. When injuries happened, which they always do, he had a replacement ready that was game tested.

Mack never wanted to embarass an opp so he kept the games closer than they needed to be, and even when we were WAY ahead, he was reluctant to put in the young guys until about 5 min left. Then all they could do was hand off on into the line dives. We paid the price for this in the Natty with Bama....and the year before when we were ranked lower than OU....

swVA....You posted while I was typing my response to bubba.I will not appoligize for it as that is the way I remember things. Those that were not old enough to watch the Horns in the 60's and 70's might not understandwhy I feel this way. I will always be grateful to Mack for restoring the program, but I saw him as a flawed coach as early as 2007. I dont expect anyone to agree with me, I am just saying what I think.

Reactions: Godz40Acrez
swVA....You posted while I was typing my response to bubba.I will not appoligize for it as that is the way I remember things. Those that were not old enough to watch the Horns in the 60's and 70's might not understandwhy I feel this way. I will always be grateful to Mack for restoring the program, but I saw him as a flawed coach as early as 2007. I dont expect anyone to agree with me, I am just saying what I think.
Oldhorn I agree with you Mack was not perfect. But he brought Texas UP to where we were a play or 2 away from playing for it all nearly every year. He made Texas a power again. I will alway be grateful for that. He did need to go. No doubt. But he should have our respect. If it is so easy to coach at Texas why did it take 30 Years to win another MNC? He was a great coach for MOST of the time here. He stopped recruiting and changed the offense too much the last few years he was here.

again...he needed to go...I just think he earned our respect not our anger. Let's see if Strong can get us there before we call him the savior. He hasn't carried Mack Browns jock yet....that is just being honest. I think Strong will get us back but it is far from certain as some think.

Mack brought us back to glory but at the end he seemed unable to personally connect with his players or coaches in a way that lit a fire in the belly, and there was an accumulation of deadwood on the staff and in the locker room. Water under the bridge at this point.

While I like what I've seen from Strong so far, the clock is ticking on getting back to 9-10 wins every year and a legit shot at the playoffs every couple years.

Hook 'em

Reactions: blh111
The Mack Brown bashing is old. He brought a LOT of GLORY to the University of Texas and the way some talk like he went 47-158 instead of 158-47 and a National Title. He needed to go but the constant "Mack coddled, Mack didnt recruit, blah" is so old. Give the man his due and move on. He was a great coach for Texas and he was here a little too long. If Strong has anywhere near the success Mack Brown had we will be damn lucky. Mack Browns biggest demon was keeping up with the SUCCESS HE created.

Probably a waste as some people will always bash him. Hookem

Well pardon me, but f*** Mack clown. Clap clap.

Reactions: blh111
Mack Brown deserves credit, he did great things for Texas. A national title, two national title appearances, 3 BCS wins, and multiple 10 win seasons. Mack also deserves a ton of criticism for how he left things. I don't think people realize how shitty Mack left the roster. This isn't a 1 or 2 year fix, this is a 3 or 4 year fix.

You don't have to look any farther than the offensive line at the state Mack left this program. Strong inherited an offensive line that needed to be in rehab rather than playing football (Estelle, Harrison, James). In the 2014 recruiting class Mack only had 1 OL committed when Strong took over, Cuney. A player who should be playing for Sam Houston State or Texas State. The OL was so bad Strong/Wickline have been forced to move spare defensive lineman to the OL. The OL is a perfect illustration of how shitty Mack left the roster. This is also why I find the criticism of Watson to be laughable. There's not a coach in the country that could have made our offense look good last year based on the roster.

Like I said, Mack deserves praise but a ton of criticism for how he left things. Strong will need 3 years to make this roster even somewhat decent.

Reactions: CAHorn47
I believe that the downfall of Mack Brown was misses at 1. QB everybody wanted the guy we got by the way. 2. OL and same for these guys they were all recruited by the big dogs.

I dont know if you (some of you) are reading my entire posts. I said he should have been fired. Over and over. I just dont get the vitriol but hey some people are just that way. I guess you guys hated every coach after DKR (who also stayed a bit long) and Mack Brown, because in that time Texas was not that great guys. I have loved Texas since I was a kid and the first 10 years Mack was here were better than all of that time put together.

30 years well actually 35 years between National Championships at Texas. Mack Brown got us out of the dark ages. If you guys hate him I cant change it. But if winning at Texas is just so easy why 35 years between titles?? Mack won a National Championship something that fans of most schools NEVER will see! I think that earns a little respect, something missing here and in our society all together. Mack never cheated and won with class. Hell I guess he should have won 15 National Titles since he was here that long? I hate the way things ended but he was a victim of his own SUCCESS. I respect him and I am glad he was our coach. Now I am glad Strong is our coach and I hope he gets us to heights not seen since the Mack Brown Era. Hookem

Pardon me for having respect for a Coach who got Texas a National Championship. They dont grow on damn trees. Will you same guys throw Strong to the wolves?

Last edited:
I was done with Mack "Bob's b*tch" Brown in 2003. I will never, ever forget all the humiliation we went through because his soft ass couldn't field a team tough enough to even look like they belonged on the field with OU. He should've been fired before Vince ever had a chance to save his sorry pattycake ass. What he did to the program after 2009 makes it even worse. We're all still feeling the misery of him completely destroying the program. Absolutely unforgivable. Yeah he lucked into one NC, while most of the rest of the time OU owned the conference. I cannot tolerate this. I'm glad one whole NC, and an abysmal record of conference championships in 15 freaking years makes you content. This is Texas, and there's no freaking reason why we shouldn't be celebrating multiple NCs, and certainly a few more conference championships, at least. No, he gets no pass in my book. But, by all means, go ahead and build that statue for that sissy powderpuff SOB so I can relieve myself on it.

Oh yeah, why 35 years in between championships, because Texas has a history of hiring sorry ass coaches. Mack was only a slight improvement, but still nowhere near the football coach the University of Texas deserves.

"Mack Brown got us out of the dark ages". Lol. Yeah, and he lost all credit for that by burying us right back in the dark ages. Hell, even worse than we were before he arrived. Even in our worst times, did we ever lose to freakin Baylor 3 years in a row??? For the first time in my memory, the likes of TCU and Baylor have replaced us as the football powers in Texas. How in the freaking hell can you not be thoroughly embarrassed by this? This is all thanks to Mack Clown. Thank god we've FINALLY hired a real football coach. The first since DKR. You think Mack did great things? Just wait till Strong finally gets all the powderpuff and cupcakes washed off of this program.

You don't read or don't care to try to understand anyone else's opinion. Good for you that you know everything. Where did I say Mack was perfect? That he should not have been fired? That I didn't care about getting blown out by ou? Wow.

And No one lucked into a national championship. I hope you hold Strong to the same standard because I will. Mack was far far far from perfect but he did bring Texas back. Whether you believe it or not.

He brought Texas back briefly, only to destroy Texas and leave it worse than he found it. Congrats. I'm done derailing the recruiting thread. I've hated Mack since 2003, and will always hate that powderpuff. That is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT