ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting thread (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah BLH.....I dont care that he was slated as a backup....O-line was/is our weak point and any loss of depth has got to hurt.I do not know what posessed the young man on the eve of camp opening to use such poor judgement, but I hope for his sake that he comes out of this a better man.

Reactions: blh111
Saw that post coming.

Cuney is terrible. Several recruiting guys, like Howe and Burton, made fun of the fact that he was even offered a scholarship during fall camp last year. Cuney should be playing for Texas State or Sam Houston State, I'll say that even if he isn't dismissed.

I don't think he will be dismissed so it's a mute point anyways. For the kid's sake I hope he isn't dismissed, but from a roster perspective I hope he is. It would be much more useful to use his scholarship on someone in the '16 recruiting class. Cuney will be nothing more than backup his entire career, at best.

We aren't winning anything this year so I really don't care about depth. Get rid of the players that are trash and get players in here that are quality players. That's harsh but the truth.

Cuney is terrible. Several recruiting guys, like Howe and Burton, made fun of the fact that he was even offered a scholarship during fall camp last year. Cuney should be playing for Texas State or Sam Houston State, I'll say that even if he isn't dismissed.

I don't think he will be dismissed so it's a mute point anyways. For the kid's sake I hope he isn't dismissed, but from a roster perspective I hope he is. It would be much more useful to use his scholarship on someone in the '16 recruiting class. Cuney will be nothing more than backup his entire career, at best.

We aren't winning anything this year so I really don't care about depth. Get rid of the players that are trash and get players in here that are quality players. That's harsh but the truth.
Hate to play grammar police, 'Bomb, but it's "moot point"

Reactions: hornfaninbama
The problem with Cuney is he simply isn't big enough. Coming out of HS he weighed 270. The roster says he's up to 289 (he's probably a little smaller than that). I'm not sure his frame can add a bunch more weight either.

To give you some perspective, Jake Raulerson played some center last year and was pushed around. I believe he was about 290 to 295 during the season. We had to roll with Doyle because he was really the only player big enough to play center. I think Raulerson can put on more weight though.

If Cuney has maxed out size wise he just needs to look at playing a different position, but I'm not sure that's a viable option.

I would be interested to see some pictures of Raulerson and Cuney standing next together, because I think Raulerson is a good bit bigger (Raulerson was considered undersized last year too). Cuney is listed as 6'1 and Raulerson is listed as 6'4.

Last edited:
Reactions: pagewoodt
New regime, I freaking love this.

Quotes from Brian Jean Mary:

"I hate to talk about the previous staff, but their philosophy was, 'We are offering you now, and if you don't take it, we're going to move on to the next guy.'

"Well, we're going to sit and wait on the kids we think are going to be the difference-makers, and we let them know that, too. So it kind of gives them the opportunity to take their time during the recruiting process, which can be frustrating for the fans. But that's just the philosophy that we've always had.

"Recruiting's not over until that first Wednesday in February."

If it was Sumlin he'd be suspended for half of one game against southern Iowa school for the blind. Something tells me Strong will make an example of him to ensure that the rest of the team respects the rules.

From Horns Digest:

The Darius James story at Texas has been told a few different ways, but the bottom line is when he flunked his third drug test, Charlie Strong fought for James to go through Texas' in-house rehab - just like he did for Desmond Harrison (because he didn't want Harrison back on the streets in California, where he's from, getting shot like Harrison was almost two years ago during a drive-by).

And then just like Desmond Harrison, James flunked another drug test after going through rehab. And James - like Harrison - had to be removed from the University of Texas - per school policy.

Auburn obviously knows what happened. But that didn't stop Auburn from welcoming James right in.

James tried to make it sound like he no longer cared for the demanding ways of the Texas coaching staff, so he moved on.

No.

He had no choice but to move on - because of his own actions.

And Auburn's football and enrollment offices apparently found enough redeemable football talent in James to embrace his lack of discipline and see if James can help Auburn win football games once he completes rehabbing the ACL he tore in practice late last season.

I would never wish ill on a student-athlete. But when he misrepresents the record on his way out the door, when Charlie Strong actually tried to help the kid turn his life around (by giving him one last chance - because not all of James' failed tests occurred on Strong's watch), the whole situation and his soft landing at Auburn makes you cringe.

It's late. I'm tired. But I wanted to make sure the James' record was straight once he was actually enrolled at Auburn - and James is indeed enrolled at Auburn - as of today.

Go Tigers.

All it comes down to is that some programs don't mind having players that get in trouble or would rather not know if their players use drugs. I bet he doesn't even get drug tested in Auburn, and if he does it will not be random and will happen only once. Some teams place winning above all else, which to some might be worth it. Strong truthfully wants his players to develope as men as well as win, which might put him at a disadvantage. Every team will have players that get in trouble. Not all teams will truly hold the player accountable and risk hurting on field performance to teach the player a life lesson. Teams always talk a big game to the media how they run a strict program that doesn't tolerate behavior issues, but as soon as a game comes around somehow all their players are off suspension and miraculoulsy changed their ways. Everyone knows what is happening and if that team wins nobody in the organization is going to care.

The SEC overall is a joke, the area is infested with criminals and the education and institutions in that conference will offer anything and go about it in a shady way. It is the FIFA of college football.

Joe Wickline's evaluation of his 2015 OL (honest assessment or motivation?) and more ¦

Wickline quickly made it very clear he would not answer any questions regarding anything related to his ongoing lawsuit with his former employer Oklahoma State University, which was perfectly fine with me.

Despite the mantra of "constant competition" from the Texas staff - something universally echoed despite which position is being coached - it seems all parties involved Thursday viewed the starting five offensive linemen coming into camp as (L to R) LT Marcus Hutchins, LG Sedrick Flowers, C Taylor Doyle, RG Kent Perkins and RT Connor Williams.

œWe™re a week-by-week, day-by-day ˜earn your spot™ operation. It™s going to take some time to figure out where your third guard and your third tackle are going to come from." Joe Wickline said. "It™s not a thing we™ve had to worry about in the past, we™ve had to worry about the fifth lineman or even the fourth lineman. It™s a little bit of a luxury in terms of, if we don™t have a problem with our left guard, our right tackle or our center, then who™s next in line? Some of these things - third guard and third tackle - are going to be proven through the summer and throughout fall camp.

I asked Wickline about JUCO transfer Brandon Hodges™ versatility to play both the guard and the tackle positions, and where his longterm future was positionally.
œI think it™s based on our personnel ¦ for instance, we™ve got some really nice, big guards inside and hopefully they™ll keep getting better, Wickline said, alluding to Sedrick Flowers and Kent Perkins. œWhile there are some guys who may play tackle because those guys may have those (inside) places pretty well sewn up - I guess what I™m trying to say is, next spring, this guy leaves and this (other) guy goes there. Guys may go inside. What we have to look at now is now, though. This camp.

I asked Wickline if he felt like Connor Williams has the feet to eventually move to left tackle.
œI think he™s very athletic. I think he™s really shown a lot, he has a long way to go and I think people sometimes jump on too fast on a guy - he™s still a young man, Wickline said. œThe thing that Connor™s got is a real sharp mind. He™s really mature and he™s a fast-twitch guy. He knows where he is and where he™s at. We have a long way to go with Connor like we do a lot of them. But, I think he™s a flexible, or multiple guy. You could move him inside, outside, you could probably have him snap the ball if you wanted to. Came as a tight end, so we™re happy where he™s at right now.

As I™ve reported all summer, this staff plans on using true freshman Patrick Vahe at guard to start his career at Texas. Wickline said the following when asked about Vahe™s viability at center:
œI don™t think it™s any mystery that Patrick probably is more well-versed for an inside position, because of his girth and his mass and what he brings to table as a physical guy. We didn™t get to look at him in the spring like a, say, Garrett Thomas - we didn™t have him like we had Connor. So, it™s really hard to justify or really get a feel - but we do know this through Coach Pat (Moorer) and the strength staff: he™s done an excellent job conditioning himself from that standpoint. He™s into it. He™s on board. I don™t think he™s going to get really flinched by anything and he looks forward to the occasion.

Wickline talked about the importance of JUCO transfer Tristan Nickelson to the offensive line unit.
œWell I consider both (Connor Williams and Nickelson) starters at right tackle. Great guys - I call ˜em ˜great gets.™ They™re intellectual guys that know what™s going on. Some athleticism, some size, some length - it makes you feel good about your depth and they™ll compete against each other. I think™s it™s going to be a good battle.

Wickline was asked by one reporter if the Texas OL was a œpissed off group for getting it™s name dragged through the mud last year, and he had an interesting response.
œDragged in the mud. In what way is that? Since I don™t read the internet, I don™t read the newspaper, I don™t watch TV - that™s the first time I™ve heard that, so, I hope they are pissed off.

Wickline had an even more interesting answer about whether he was more comfortable with this year™s OL coming into camp than he was a season ago.
œI don™t really know how to answer this, but ¦ I go into this camp thinking we™re worse off than we were last year. And that we have a long way to go. A lot to prove. These guys know that every day they™re battling for their jobs and we™re starting fresh and new. Each single day and week, we™re trying to be the best unit we can put on the field. If that™s worse or better than last year, we™ll find out. (Dunlap)
. . .

Chris Vaughan expects MAJOR freshmen competition at the LCB position and more ¦

I asked Texas defensive backs coach Chris Vaughan if the staff would look at CB Bryson Echols at the nickel spot or if he was seen as a pure corner.
œ(Nickel) doesn™t come to him as natural. You know, playing inside. But, he™s growing and maturing, so we™ll see if he can handle some of those duties, but again - just watching him this summer, he™s made some strides with competition.

CB Duke Thomas had an issue at notable key moments during the 2014 season biting on double-moves from opposing wide receivers. I asked Vaughan what he can coach fundamentally to keep this from happening in the future.
œThe big thing is awareness and expectations in each coverage. I think a little bit of that is that Duke™s a very aggressive player - which is good, we don™t want to take their aggressiveness out of them - we just want awareness, which he did better on this spring. Awareness of when those double-moves might be coming in situations, because we never want to take the aggressive nature out of a DB, but a lot of that comes with growing and maturing. Hopefully we™ll see that on the field.

I asked Coach Vaughan his thoughts on possible contenders to start at the left cornerback position opposite Duke Thomas, and Vaughan gave the impression that he™s very interested in seeing how some of the freshman such as Kris Boyd, Holton Hill and Davante Davis looked in action.
œI wish you™d ask me this in two weeks, Vaughan said. œI haven™t gotten to actually work with the freshmen, but I™ve heard some really good things from guys on the team about what they™ve done in their voluntary workouts. So, it™s hard to answer ¦ Some of those older guys feel it - there are some talented guys coming in. I think it pushes everybody. You always push from the bottom. With the young guys coming in, they™re going to pass those guys up or they™re going to push those older guys and put them in position to help us. Nothing but good can come out of the young players we have coming in being so talented. (Dunlap)
. . .

It sure sounds like freshman LB Malik Jefferson will start off camp at least getting some first-team reps
A few quick notes from a brief one-on-one exchange I had with LBs coach Brian Jean-Marie at the end of his availability:

I asked the one spot where Tim Cole and Peter Jinkens œwin as football players respectively - basically what their best traits were - and the answer didn™t even involve athleticism.
œThey™re veteran guys. Now, the defense is not new to them. Everyone was learning together last year. They should have leg up on the newcomers because they™ve been in the system for a year. We have the same DC obviously, same LBs coach - so they should be hearing the same things, same techniques, same defensive coverages, everything™s the same. They should be a step ahead of the kids weren™t here last year. They™re going to have to take advantage of that.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement, so I asked if Cole and Jinkens were going to come out in camp this week as the starters.
œPossibly, Coach BJ said.

I asked if there was any thought of Malik Jefferson starting camp with the first group.
œPossibly, he said again. œHe™s been here all spring. He™s not going to be looked upon as a freshman, he went through spring. So, he™s ahead of the curve, of everybody else, so he™ll have the opportunity to get out there and get in the mix with the first team. (Dunlap)

. . .

Malik Jefferson is ready to step into a leadership role
Coach Strong mentioned at his Thursday PC that it was important that certain players separate from the group that has formed within the team and dare to be great as leaders. I asked Jefferson that if he felt like he was capable of immediately stepping into a role like this, despite only being a freshman.

œI am. Jefferson said quickly. œI hate to say I am, because I just like to do stuff. But the time will come where everyone will see that I™ll come out and show my true leadership. (Dunlap)

. . .

A few more quick notes from around Thursday™s availabilities
- I asked DT Desmond Jackson his level of comfort in his surgically repaired foot and if he was at all nervous about full contact and he said, with a huge smile, œI am hyped up to get back out there. I™m ready.

- DL Coach Brick Haley would not comment on how the starting DTs, Hassan Ridgeway and Tank Jackson, would be aligned to start fall camp, but Jackson told me he expected to play the 1-shade or nose tackle position while Ridgeway would handle the 3-technique or tackle position as predicted by the Deep Dig.

- One player Joe Wickline (on a day where not many compliments were handed out to his unit) made sure to mention as being important to the future of the team is C Jake Raulerson. Wickline said, œHe™s going to be a terrific player for us one day. A terrific player.

- Malik Jefferson said he got the worst grade of all Texas linebackers in the spring game, and it was not that big a surprise to those who have watched back the scrimmage closely. His grade was a 53 on a 100-point scale, and Jefferson said it™s the worst grade on any test he™s ever gotten in his life. Jefferson did not seem shy about admitting it, though, and mentioned he has been working very hard to focus on the issues that caused his poor grade which involved identification of coverages and taking false steps on run-reads. A reminder that despite all the hoopla, Jefferson is, in fact, still a human - and a freshman one at that.

- I asked Tank Jackson who the strongest players on the team were and he said, œIt™s me then Kent Perkins, then Sed Flowers. I asked how many times he could bench 225 pounds and Jackson said, œI did 33.

That would have been eighth-best among all participants at the 2015 NFL combine. (Dunlap)

One of the big recruiting stories that surfaced this week was that Silsbee OL Patrick Hudson, a longtime Baylor commitment, showed up on UT's campus last week for an unofficial visit.

Hudson confirmed the visit to OB, saying it was a "nice" trip. He hasn't gone into much detail since the visit, but he did tell a reporter for SicEmSports.com that he's still solid with Baylor (as you'd expect).

Hudson has been high on UT's radar for some time and he told us earlier this week that he plans to take all five official visits. Baylor will get one and the Longhorns are in a group of teams fighting for one of his other trips.

In talking to a couple different sources, the information on Hudson has been a bit inconsistent, but one source we trust said it's highly likely that Hudson winds up back on the Forty Acres for an official visit. In fact, we've heard that a date has already been discussed but it's likely a situation that could change and we'd like to confirm the visit with Hudson at a later date when he feels like giving more information.

So technically, Hudson is still committed to Baylor, but the door is obviously open on this one to some degree and Texas has put itself squarely in the mix. This is a visit the UT staff has been working on for a while and it wasn't easy to solidify, so it's a credit to the UT staff to put themselves in a position to continue an upward trend with Hudson. (Suchomel)

Texas has had an impressive run of unofficial visitors of late, and the Longhorns will host another top prospect on Friday.

Killeen Shoemaker DE Rahssan Thornton, who holds a UT offer but is committed to LSU, will be in for an unofficial visit.

"I'm just going to watch practice and see if I can pick up any techniques for the season," Thornton said.

We'll keep an eye on this one to see if anything develops further. (Suchomel)

Manor DE/LB Erick Fowler is another committed prospect who Texas continues to recruit. Fowler said this week the Longhorns will continue to be a factor in his recruitment despite his LSU pledge.

Fowler attended UT's Under the Lights camp on July 18 and then made a visit to LSU shortly after. During his time on the Forty Acres, Texas made a strong impression.

Key quote: "It was a nice getting to meet up with the coaches again and seeing some of the talent that they're looking at. It was fun.

"They (the coaches) were just talking about my recruitment. They said they're not worried about me being committed to LSU because I'm going to flip to them."
Commitment status?: Fowler told us this week he still considers himself an LSU commitment, but said "a lot can happen between now and February so we'll see."

And what would have to happen to cause him to ultimately change his mind? Fowler said he's not completely sure, but he'll be watching both Texas and LSU closely this season to see how they perform. Fowler also plans to make it to a couple UT home games.

The Ehlinger effect: Fowler and Texas 2017 QB commitment Sam Ehlinger are good friends. Ehlinger has been in touch with Fowler since Ehlinger made his decision.

"It got me thinking. Obviously Texas knows talent. It's definitely on my mind," Fowler said. "He's just saying it's my turn, I'm next, I might as well commit." (Suchomel)

Top national TE prospect Kaden Smith told us at The Opening last month that he was still in touch with the Texas coaches despite his Stanford commitment. We caught up with Smith this week and he said he hasn't had a ton of contact with UT of late, but he did get an official offer in the mail on Tuesday of this week.

Smith, a Rivals100 member out of Flower Mound Marcus, said he's still very happy with his Stanford commitment. In a nutshell, he doesn't plan to consider any other schools or take any other visits unless he has issues qualifying for Stanford, which he does not expect.

"I'm still committed, obviously. I should get my application back in a few weeks. I have my ACT scores and stuff. I'm still comfortable with Stanford, confident everything will work out," Smith said. (Suchomel)

Top Texas OL target Denzel Okafor is down to Texas and TCU. The Horned Frogs do hold a slight edge and Okafor plans to commit pretty early during the 2015 season, but he says this one could still go either way.

Okafor is a terrific quote who doesn't need a lot of fluff building up his responses, so let's get right to them.

On summer visits besides Texas and TCU: "I have not visited anywhere else. I don't think it's going to happen. I plan to commit in a few weeks, so I already have my top two - TCU and Texas."

On TCU: "I just like the coaches. I like coach Cumbie, he's a cool guy. He's the guy that recruited my area. He's a really good guy. He really wants me there, has stuff he wants to get me to do to get bigger, stronger. Coach Anderson is a cool guy too. Coach Patterson is on one mission, one mission only to get a national championship. I want to see if they can do that this season. All the players like the place, love the coaches. I've seen pics of their progression, it's done them well. I really like TCU, the results, the atmosphere, the players, the coaches, it's all good to me."

On Texas: "I just like coach Strong. He's a great coach. He's a humble guy, a man of his word. He just wants to coach me. He thinks I have a leadership quality that not a lot of players have. He thinks I could do well for the team and wants me as a good payer, and as a leader. I think I could fit both of those. He really wants me to become a Longhorn, thinks that will better the team for the coming up season. Also coach Norvell, the recruiting coach in my area, he's a great guy too. He wants to coach me. And coach Wickline - the coaches are just as great. The atmosphere is perfect. I've met some of the players, they tell me why wouldn't you want to commit to the capital of Texas? The history of Texas is amazing. It would be a great place."

On how important each team's 2015 season will be in his decision: "That's the thing. People are saying Texas, who knows what is going to happen in Charlie Strong's second season, are they going to come up or be the same? It's the same with TCU. They had a losing season before last year and people say they got lucky. That's tough, what's going to be the next big thing? It's hard to know what really is going to happen. I'm waiting patiently to watch a few games this season and then make up my mind.

"I'll watch two or three games. Once I see both teams do work, I think I'll commit by then. Maybe early September."

On which team holds the edge right now: "Man, just very small, just a little bit TCU. But it's so hard to see what they're going to do."

On what Texas would have to do to close the gap: Pretty much just dominate. If they just dominate, just smash some people. TCU did amazing, whipping Texas and Ole Miss last year. The scores were just crazy. The one that's putting up the most points - if Texas does that, it's going to be even tougher. Maybe if Texas just gets a little more push going on, smashmouth football, that would be big."

Of note, Okafor said that even if he does commit early, he'd like to take official visits to both Texas and TCU, and he also mentioned OU and LSU as possible stops for official visits. (Suchomel)

Alief Elsik DB Chris Brown was in Austin for UT's UTL camp, and he recently released a top seven of Michigan, Texas, Oklahoma, Michigan State, Arizona and Kansas.

Key quote: "I chatted with coach Strong and coach (Chris) Vaughn a bit during the camp while players were taking water breaks and whatnot," Brown said. "They were talking to me about how they would use me if I go to the University of Texas. Coach Vaughn told me how great an athlete I am and I would be an asset to the university.

"Coach Vaughn told me I'm a versatile player. He said I could play a hybrid nickel, that I have the ability to play safety or corner. They could maybe split me out wide, play me at either safety or corner."

Visits planned, but ... Brown said he has started planning a few official visits but doesn't have them set in stone, so he's not ready to release anything yet.

His five official visits will come from his grouping of his top seven, and he said it's possible he may hit some of the closer schools (like Texas and OU) on unofficial visits. But again, those trips haven't been officially decided.

Thoughts on Texas:: What I like about Texas? Really everything," Brown said. "Austin is a great place. The University of Texas is a great school, could possibly be a great fit for me, who knows? As the recruiting process continues, goes on and I learn more about the diff universities, start to feel self assured, that's when I'll make a commitment. I don't have a timeframe or anything. I'm just kind of taking it slow."

Lot of pictures of all the players in their new jerseys floating around but thought I'd point out one. Chris Warren (#25 bottom right corner) looks monstrous.

Reactions: HornosaurusRex
Heard some comments from BJM in media days. He was asked if a veteran and a freshman are "tied" for a position, who who get the playing time. He said tie goes to the freshman everytime, and went one step further and said the veteran has to be head and shoulders above the freshman. Playing the freshman is an investment in the future.

To add my own analysis to this, I think it's clear that there is far more raw talent and athleticism in the last class than with the veterans. If a veteran can't make up the difference in raw talent with experience, then put the athletic kid out there and give him a chance to run past (or over) someone.

Also particularly telling that he is the LB coach.

Lot of pictures of all the players in their new jerseys floating around but thought I'd point out one. Chris Warren (#25 bottom right corner) looks monstrous.

One thing I notice about that picture is that it looks like the picture is taken at an angle. Meaning Warren is closer to the photographer than the rest of the players. This would make him appear bigger. That being said, he is still a monster. He is going to be a lot for any defensive player to tackle.

- Malik Jefferson said he got the worst grade of all Texas linebackers in the spring game, and it was not that big a surprise to those who have watched back the scrimmage closely. His grade was a 53 on a 100-point scale, and Jefferson said it™s the worst grade on any test he™s ever gotten in his life. Jefferson did not seem shy about admitting it, though, and mentioned he has been working very hard to focus on the issues that caused his poor grade which involved identification of coverages and taking false steps on run-reads. A reminder that despite all the hoopla, Jefferson is, in fact, still a human - and a freshman one at that.
I love this! It's called "coaching."

No. More. Coddlin'!

I don't think the previous coaching staff really had a differing strategy in terms of young vs old. They certainly had a differing recruiting strategy. There is a tradeoff playing younger, and sometimes it's worth it and sometimes it isn't. It really depends on the situation, position, and player.

Mack played a lot of young guys in fact when he lost at the end we were constantly playing young guys because that's the only way he could build any hope being under the we are young umbrella. After 2010 each new freshmen class had a ton of contributors they just never got any better because there was zero development going on. But even in the good years youth got their chance, but when you have loaded teams a bunch of freshmen aren't going beat out the starters.

The Mack Brown bashing is old. He brought a LOT of GLORY to the University of Texas and the way some talk like he went 47-158 instead of 158-47 and a National Title. He needed to go but the constant "Mack coddled, Mack didnt recruit, blah" is so old. Give the man his due and move on. He was a great coach for Texas and he was here a little too long. If Strong has anywhere near the success Mack Brown had we will be damn lucky. Mack Browns biggest demon was keeping up with the SUCCESS HE created.

Probably a waste as some people will always bash him. Hookem

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT