ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Thread 2018

A few things first:
http://m.espn.com/ncf/recruiting/classRankings?src=desktop

It appears Georgia is running away with it. Bama will close solidly, likely leap frogging us. Clemson has 15 committed so it's likely they will bounce us as well. So we are looking at best at a #6 class.....unless we sign a five star or two.

Anybody disagree?

I like to use the 247 composite rankings. I think you are correct in that Bama, Clemson and I would add USC (only 14 players, ranked #11), could all potentially pass us.

The commits I expect us to get will not add that many points on the 247 rankings which gives less and less points as the number of commits grows (and also takes away points from already committed prospects).
Our score right now is 293.78

Joshua Moore + 20.47
Joseph Ossai + 7.95
Lawrence Keys + 4.17
Moro Ojomo + 1.6
Christian Jones +0.35
Overall Class score of 300.49

We could also add
Vernon Jackson + 1.69
Andrew Parker + 0.10
Overall Class score of 300.84

I'm not plugged in to the other schools to know who they think they will sign over the next week.

Alabama is at 275 pts right now. If they land Leon O'neal, Jaylen Waddle and Isaac Taylor Stuart they jump up to 296.73 (and we get to enjoy some legit aggy tears). Losing Vernon Jackson, which seems likely, drops them back to 294.

I think we land at 300 points. We will see what other teams do.

A few things first:

It appears Georgia is running away with it. Bama will close solidly, likely leap frogging us. Clemson has 15 committed so it's likely they will bounce us as well. So we are looking at best at a #6 class.....unless we sign a five star or two.

Anybody disagree?

At this point it might be better to have a lower rated player(s) on either offensive or defensive lines than a higher rated one at a skill position. So in that sense, the overall team rating could go down while being better recruiting class.

At this point it might be better to have a lower rated player(s) on either offensive or defensive lines than a higher rated one at a skill position. So in that sense, the overall team rating could go down while being better recruiting class.
Can we not have a higher rated lineman? Aren't there any left?

– I spoke with newest LB offer, Andrew Parker (New Orleans, LA). Parker tells me he will visit Texas from Friday and part of Saturday. He will then head over to TCU over the weekend.

Look for him to announce something on Sunday night or Monday. He will either reaffirm his commitment to Arkansas or select TCU or Texas. (Super K)

– There is no reason to be worried about Keondre Coburn. (Super K)

From Nahlin at Inside Texas on his recruiting update today: "Not worried about Coburn. Not worried about Ingram."

– Also, spoke with recent 2018 OT offer, Christian Jones who tells me that he is scheduled to visit Vanderbilt this upcoming weekend. As of now he had not decided if he would instead visit Texas. He has visited Texas in the past though. (Super K)

– Things went very well with Moro Ojomo but I’m told he still plans to take his final two official visits. He will visit both Miami and Oregon this week. (Super K)

24/7 does not expect DT Moro Ojomo to visit Alabama before the last dead period begins. He will follow through with his official visit to Oregon this weekend and that'll be it.

– Sources on the Texas A&M side have indicated that the TAMU staff has sealed things up with Jalen Preston. As such, I do not foresee him making it to Austin this weekend. (Super K)

Inside Texas is hearing WR Lawrence Keys III of New Orleans, LA will notify coaches at Notre Dame and Texas of his decision next Tuesday night.

They're expecting the choice to be Notre Dame right now, even though they have heard rumors that Notre Dame may not have room due to other priorities in their class.

– This past weekend, we told you that Josh Moore did not end up taking his Florida State. We also noted that things were very much trending in Texas’ direction.

[His decision to commit Sun Jan 4th] should certainly makes you feel even better about what I’d heard this past weekend regarding Texas and Moore. (Andrew)

Per Inside Texas, Coach Beck and Coach Mehringer will be at Schertz Clemens tomorrow to try and convince WR Tommy Bush to visit UT this weekend.

Bush still isn't sure what he wants to do because UT's communication with him has been off and on, but UT is the school he's always wanted to attend and they've signed several of his friends.

– Everyone knows that Texas is in the market to land a graduate Transfer OT to sure up the OL in 2018 and add depth. There are two names that the Longhorns have been after. Rice GT Calvin Anderson and Stanford GT Casey Tucker.

One guy is off the board, as Casey Tucker is staying on the West Coast and playing his final season at Arizona State. That just leaves Anderson, and the pressure is on for Texas to land him. The good news is that we feel good about Texas’ chances to do just that. The fact that Anderson went to Austin Westlake HS and is an Austin native is helping Texas. He also had an outstanding visit to Texas a few weeks ago.

Anderson originally said he planned to take all 5 official visits, but that might not happen. He visited Texas, then Michigan last weekend. Some other schools that are trying to make a run at Anderson are Oklahoma, Auburn, and TCU. We feel good about Texas’ chances to land him, and he could be a plug-and-play guy at OT. (Andrew)

Nahlin: I think Anderson knows he's going to Texas and is just having fun with his recruitment.

However...

Per 24/7, grad transfer OL Marcus Applefield of Rutgers is now on Texas' radar. He is expected to make a decision next week, so UT obviously has to hurry. He visited Virginia last week and will be at Pitt this weekend.

Alabama's 24/7 site has a note saying all signs are pointing to DE Vernon Jackson of Boling flipping his commitment. They mentioned Herman will do his in-home visit this week before Jackson heads to College Station this weekend for his last official visit.

Last edited:
We need several upperclass O-linemen who can play immediately. I don't see this in our current class.

A few things first:

Anybody disagree?

I've been thinking for a few days that the playoffs have concentrated talent in few teams. Up until last year the average number of teams over 290 points(247 composite) was around 2.5. Last year there were 6 and likely 5 this year. If it ends up just 4 is early signing distribute talent more evenly?

I don't think Clemson makes a big move up as they only had 8 seniors this year and Dabo's 'recruiting' coup was getting guys to not declare early for a 2018 NC run. Bama likewise only has a few slots left unless a bunch of Juniors declared.

Last edited:
We need several upperclass O-linemen who can play immediately. I don't see this in our current class.

There are very, very few such players nationally. Texas isn't the only school that can offer playing time for the few that are worth taking, and plenty of our competitors can point to much greater recent on-field success than we can.

Most JUCOs are nothing special. We definitely don't need another Tristan Nickelson. The majority of grad transfers are not going to be plus players, either. Most of them (not all) were buried on the bench, often at garbage programs, and are not plug-and-play miracle upgrades. There's just not much of a talent pool to draw from. When a program has consistently f*cked itself over many years on the OL, it's unavoidably going to take some time to solve the problem.

Can we not have a higher rated lineman? Aren't there any left?

Not really. The only other HS OL we are going after is 5 star Nicholas Petit-Frere but that is not going to happen. We signed 3 4 stars so if they pan out we will be set down the road.

Immediate impact guy is Calvin Anderson, the rice grad transfer who has a lot of people pursuing him but we are the leader.

JUCO Mikey Grandy could provide immediate depth if he doesn't take over a starting position. We have him for two years so that is nice.

Reactions: freeper
We just need bodies up front on the o line. I don’t care if they’re a five star or a 3 star, we need depth

There are very, very few such players nationally. Texas isn't the only school that can offer playing time for the few that are worth taking, and plenty of our competitors can point to much greater recent on-field success than we can.

Most JUCOs are nothing special. We definitely don't need another Tristan Nickelson. The majority of grad transfers are not going to be plus players, either. Most of them (not all) were buried on the bench, often at garbage programs, and are not plug-and-play miracle upgrades. There's just not much of a talent pool to draw from. When a program has consistently f*cked itself over many years on the OL, it's unavoidably going to take some time to solve the problem.
We are hoping a transfer from a 1-11 non power 5 program can upgrade the line. That tells you everything you need to know about the O Line talent pool.

DT Keondre Coburn told OrangeBloods today that he won't be taking any visits this weekend.

OrangeBloods saying Saban was in Katy today to see DT Moro Ojomo.

E: Scoop on Remaining WR Targets

Texas still isn’t out of the mix for Tommy Bush.

The four-star wide receiver out of Schertz Clemens informed me that he is down to Baylor and Texas for his final official visit.

The Texas staff is set to see Bush tomorrow. He will listen to what they have to say and make a decision on his last trip soon after.

Texas was pegged as the most likely landing spot for Bush during the summer, but contact with the Longhorns fell off for most of the fall.

However, Texas reengaged with Bush a couple of weeks ago, and Tom Herman stopped by to check in on him. Bush lives pretty close to Austin and his mother is a UT grad.

If Bush sides with Texas for his final visit, things could get interesting.

Texas did host Louisiana wide out Lawrence Keys III for an official visit over the weekend. And the four-star prospect named Texas his co-leader along with Notre Dame.

We spoke to a Louisiana source today who said Notre Dame still has the upper hand, though. Notre Dame has been the favorite for most of his recruitment. Right now, my Crystal Ball is on foggy. But unless Herman can hit a grand slam on the in-home, Keys appears Notre Dame bound.

There is some chatter from others that Texas is making a late run at Jaylen Waddle. But the fact of the matter is Texas has been pushing for him to get on campus since the end of the dead period.

Will it actually happen?

You never know. Waddle still has yet to rule out making an unofficial visit. But Texas landing him remains unlikely, and Herman has already used his in-home. Right now, it’s still Alabama or Texas A&M.

Last but not least, everything is still pretty status quo with Joshua Moore. He is still slated to visit Oregon this weekend, but we are told the Longhorns are the heavy favorites here. He will make a commitment on Sunday, and we would be surprised if he doesn’t pick UT.

Looks like a bunch of preferred walk-in spots went out last night.

I am guessing this is the walk-on APB that Inside Texas has been referencing for a few weeks from Friendswood. Quick scatback with some pop. He's fast and he's a smart kid (offers from Ivy and Academies).

https://www.hudl.com/profile/4304997/Jarrett-Smith

Another walk-on from Houston OLB/DE

OT from East Texas Folsom, TX

All the commits are on twitter talking about how UT is going to shock the world on NSD2

OB War Room (From Suchomel)

We’re five days from National Signing Day, and there are still several storylines we’ll be following leading up to next Wednesday. I spoke with Rivals.com regional recruiting analyst Nick Krueger this week to get his thoughts on some of the top guys remaining on UT’s radar. Let’s take a look at all the stories we’ll be tracking in the coming days.

--- RB Keaontay Ingram – (From Krueger): “I was hearing whispers about (him visiting Texas A&M) going back to the state championship and that they were inching their way in there. Any time I’ve ever dealt with him, he’s given stock answers. But I’ve not got the inkling that he’s going to wind up anywhere but Texas.”

My thoughts: Ingram has been committed to Texas for so long that it’s hard to envision him flipping at the last minute. Texas was aware of his Texas A&M visit, so that’s a good sign, but it is a bit odd that Ingram hasn’t come out to reaffirm his commitment status since he knows a lot of people are wondering. And the fact that Jimbo Fisher took the time to go visit him in Carthage this week makes me think the Aggies believe they have a chance. That being said, I did talk to a couple people late this week who don’t feel Texas has anything to really be concerned with.

--- WR Joshua Moore – (From Krueger): “The problem with Josh, I don’t know about his track career at all, but he’s legitimately convinced he can play corner and he’s convinced that whatever team he can go to is going to give him the opportunity to do track and football without anything getting in the way of itself. Texas probably feels good about itself because it’s the local operation, but you know Oregon is going to pull out all the stops this weekend and say he can do anything he wants here. They have to scramble to fill out their class. Oregon needs to be able to pitch the strength of class to other recruits and getting someone like Josh would help with that. He said at Under Armour that Oregon was on the short list of schools that was going to give him a look at defense.”

My thoughts: We’ll get our answer on Moore on Sunday, as he’s set to choose either Texas or Oregon. Moore is scheduled to take his Oregon official visit this weekend but he’s been pretty unpredictable on his visits, so keep an eye on that one. Honestly, even if he does visit, it’s hard to imagine a scenario in which the Ducks win out. Texas has done a good job in this one over the last month or so, and I’m expecting proximity to play a big role. (Update: On Thursday night, word surfaced from the Rivals Oregon site that Moore may not be taking the Oregon visit after all).

--- WR Tommy Bush – As of press-time, we’re still awaiting word from Bush on what he’ll do this weekend, if anything. He’s considering taking his fifth and final visit, and Texas continues to work to try to get him on campus.

Bush is looking to visit either Texas or Baylor this weekend. The Longhorns were scheduled to do an in-home on Thursday so that could swing things. Ole Miss, Georgia and Michigan State are also pushing. Georgia head coach Kirby Smart and several assistants will visit him on Friday.

Truthfully, this one’s tough to predict right now. Had Texas been pushing for a commitment all along, there would have been a very strong chance that Bush would have sided with the Longhorns. But with Texas trying to make such a late run, it’s really anyone’s guess on what Bush will wind up doing. Will he go with someone like Georgia or Baylor, both of whom have made him a priority for a while? Or will the Schertz Clemens product stay closer to home and take his last visit to Texas, ultimately giving the Longhorns a shot to win him over? There are still too many unanswered questions in this one to have a clear feel on which way it will fall.

WR Lawrence Keys – The New Orleans McDonogh 35 product is on an SMU official visit this week, but he’s expected to choose from a final two of Texas and Notre Dame. The Longhorns did an in-home with Keys on Wednesday night, but with him being on an official visit right now I haven’t bothered him to see if that visit moved the needle any. Coming out of his Notre Dame visit, he labeled the Irish as his leader. After his Texas visit last weekend, he told OB that he was genuinely torn between UT and Notre Dame. This one feels like it may be leaning Notre Dame’s way because the Irish have made him a priority for longer than Texas has, but the Longhorns have definitely closed the gap and it’s really a tough one to call at this point.

WR Jaylen Waddle – (From Krueger): “From the point of view, Texas being on and off again with Tommy Bush, Jalen Preston was going to visit, it seems to me they have the feeling that he’s feeling more A&M and Alabama. But the last time I talked to him, his demeanor is different when he talks about Tom Herman relative to other coaches. He really doesn’t tip his hand at all.”

My thoughts: I’ve had a sneaky suspicion for a while that Texas’ chances in this one are better than most realize, but it’s damn near impossible to get any real information out of Waddle. He had hoops games in Austin a couple weekends ago but didn’t visit. There were rumors last week that he was going to visit Texas but those turned out to be untrue. The question now is whether or not Texas can get him on campus this weekend for one last chance. Interestingly, I was told this week that both A&M and Alabama were confident, but the people I talked to admitted that they’re kind of trying to read between the lines on this one. I’ve said before that if there’s one kid in this class who would shock the recruiting world by committing to a school without having taken an official visit, Waddle would probably be the one. My money right now is still on A&M, but there’s a low level of confidence in that pick and nothing that happens in the coming days will really surprise me.

OL Christian Jones – (From Krueger): “When I was talking to him, he understands that his future is on offense with Texas. I think he likes playing defense better, but understands he’s naturally better on offense. It’s good that he has that presence of mind to have that self-awareness. If he does in fact wind up going to Texas this weekend instead of Vandy, that tells you he’s made peace with it and Texas is soundly the front-runner.”

My thoughts: Jones has gone strangely quiet about his visit plans for this weekend. As of Tuesday, he told us he was still trying to decide if he would visit Texas or Vanderbilt. Since then, silence. I’d feel a lot better about this one if Jones made a no-brainer decision to visit Texas, but for whatever reason he’s not being too open with his plans. I do expect him to be in Austin … it just makes sense … but he does genuinely like Vanderbilt and he’s also very high on Cal, where he has visited. We’ll work on getting clarity of Jones’ weekend plans, but he was admittedly on cloud nine when he got the UT offer and this one just feels like a battle Texas should win.

DE Vernon Jackson – Here’s what I know about Jackson … he’s committed to Bama, he’s taken official visits to Alabama and Texas, he’ll visit Texas A&M this week, and he doesn’t tip his hand at all on which way he may be leaning. In talking to a Bama insider this week, the Tide definitely still wants Jackson in its class and is working hard to keep him from flipping to either of the in-state schools, but Alabama is definitely nervous on this one. As often happens, when things get closer to signing day, it gets harder and harder for some prospects to settle on the idea of leaving the state, so that’s helping both Texas and Texas A&M’s chances. A&M gets the last visit and we’ll see if that one tips the scales in the Aggies direction … tough one to call.

DE Joseph Ossai – (From Krueger): “From what I know about him, he’s placing an importance on engineering and academics. One thing that has hurt A&M consistently throughout the coaching change was the timing of how quickly, or not quickly, they were able to get defensive assistants in there to bridge the gap.”

My thoughts: I’m not expecting an announcement from Ossai until National Signing Day but this one is pretty much holding steady and the Longhorns look really good here.

DT Keondre Coburn – (From Krueger): “I think Coburn is a guy who just decided to enjoy the process. But I don’t think there’s major concern for him to stray from Texas because he’s been committed for a while. Especially if Texas lands a guy like (Moro) Ojomo on Signing Day and he has a nice pairing, but not somebody from a perception standpoint that’s going to overshadow him. There’s been no reason to think there’s been any shake-up with Texas. I know people were talking about A&M, but I don’t think he’s visited there. If it’s only Miami, I don’t see him leaving Texas.”
My thoughts: Coburn told OB on Wednesday night that he would not be taking any visits this weekend. If that holds true, it means A&M and TCU failed to get him on campus, and his only non-UT visit was to Miami. The writing is pretty much on the wall with this one.

DT Moro Ojomo – (From Krueger): “It feels like Oklahoma is losing steam. Guys are decommitting. They’ve had such weird trends with recruiting where guys will commit in waves and decommit in waves. I don’t trust Oklahoma to close on anybody at this point. I would cross Oklahoma off.”

My thoughts – I’m not crossing Oklahoma off, but we had heard Texas was basically on equal footing coming into his visit last weekend, and you have to figure the Longhorns only helped their cause on Ojomo’s official visit. I did hear a bit of a grapevine rumor this week that people inside the OU program were acting a “little bit confident” in this one, but I’m not quite sure what to make of that one. Alabama is trying to make a late run but this one probably comes down to Texas or OU. Give me Texas, although the OU rumor this week would probably have me lowering my percentage just a bit from where I would have had it coming out of Ojomo’s UT official visit.

LB Andrew Parker – The recent UT offer has been all over the place this week on where he’d be visiting (A&M, Texas, TCU and Auburn were all talked about as possibilities at different times). On Thursday night, Parker, an Arkansas commitment, eliminated TCU (A&M and Auburn were eliminated earlier in the week). He’ll visit Texas this weekend and per a person close to Parker, this one is a two-team race between the Razorbacks and the Longhorns. This weekend’s visit will either win it or lose it for Texas.

******In case you missed our note from Thursday afternoon, grad transfer OL Calvin Anderson tells us he’ll likely visit Auburn the weekend of February 9.

I’m sure Auburn will make a strong impression, but this one is still a Texas-Michigan battle right now, and I still have Texas squarely in the driver’s seat. For those who haven’t followed this one closely, Anderson doesn’t have to commit before National Signing Day since he’s a transfer from Rice. He won’t enroll at the school of his choice until summer, so he has more time to sort through his options.

Reactions: Cotton #12
We are hoping a transfer from a 1-11 non power 5 program can upgrade the line. That tells you everything you need to know about the O Line talent pool.

He is a NFL quality left tackle, those don't grow on trees. Unfortunately we don't have great options on campus and it takes a while to get new recruits ready for OL play.

Some may not be worried, but with the way DT recruiting has gone for texas in general... Coburn is giving my nerves a fit. We sure do need that knucklehead.

Some may not be worried, but with the way DT recruiting has gone for texas in general... Coburn is giving my nerves a fit. We sure do need that knucklehead.
Apparently Miami was a real threat, but I think things settled down and it should be the good guys on Wednesday.

Brainiacs Open Post:

TFB Monday Open Post: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.co...-february-5th/

Texas signed 19 players during the early signing period. They currently have five commits with additional targets. So, let’s take a look at them:

Joshua Moore announced his commitment on Sunday afternoon. We expect him to sign with Texas.

Keondre Coburn: I know some of you are concerned about Coburn removing his Texas commit information from his twitter bio. I remain confident that Coburn will sign with Texas. I would surmise that the question marks surrounding Coburn’s status is by design…building a little anticipation for his signing.

Keontay Ingram: TAMU made a heck of a run…even got Ingram on campus a couple weeks ago. Fisher worked hard here but I still expect TAMU to fall short.

– Last month, Michael Williams announced his commitment to Texas.We expect him to sign with Texas.

– Also, last month, Daniel Carson announced his commitment to Texas. Nebraska made a run here but ultimately Carson signs with Texas.

Moro Ojomo: Ojomo took visit this past week, including a Oregon trip this past weekend. Going into this past week, Ojomo was down to Texas and OU with Texas holding a bit of an edge. His recent trip to Oregon made an impression but it doesn’t like it will be enough.

Ojomo will announce on Tuesday and we believe Texas continues to hold an edge here.

Joseph Ossai: Ossai also took a visit to Oregon this past weekend and said in a text that the Oregon trip did cause him to rethink some things. It, apparently, went very well. Texas remains a tough team to beat though.

Ossai will announce on signing day.

Christian Jones and Andrew Parker: These were the two weekend official visitors. It’s hard to imagine Jones ending up anywhere other than Texas. We haven’t spoken to him since his visit but he passed up going to Vanderbilt and last week he passed up a scheduled visit to UCLA. He visited Texas. Again, hard to see this one going in any other direction.

Andrew on the other hand is a bit more of a question mark. He is committed to Arkansas. He previously told me that if he was going to make a change it would likely happen on Sunday after the visit. So, the fact that it didn’t makes me wonder if it will. But it’s very possible that he’s changed his mind and decided to wait. I’ll check with him on that tomorrow.

Tommy Bush: On Sunday, Bush made a last minute visit to Texas. Interestingly, he told me that he had actually called coach Herman on Friday and told him that he would not be visiting Texas and had decided, instead, to go ahead and visit Baylor. It sounded like he had decided to part ways. So, the fact that he and his family made that last minute trip to Texas seems very telling to me.

Bush will announce on Wednesday. I checked in with Bush after his visit. So, I’ll have a little more on this later. I wouldn’t bet many Brainiac Bucks on it but, again, the fact that Tommy made that final trip to Texas…gives me the sense that Texas has always been that team in his heart.

Lawrence Keys: Keys is also set to announce on signing day. He will decide between Texas and Notre Dame. I don’t have a great sense of this one. I’ll be checking on it tomorrow. Texas had a lot of ground to make it up. Notre Dame had a long standing relationship with Keys.

– Texas has continued to recruit Vernon Jackson but I’m told Alabama missed out on a target and still has a spot for Jackson. If Jackson doesn’t end up staying with Bama then he’s likely headed to TAMU. If I hear different over the next day or two, I’ll let y’all know. But, as of now, I think Texas is a bit behind here. – (Super K)

Joshua Moore and the Shhh: Yesterday’s commitment from Joshua Moore accounts for last week’s February 1st “Shhh”…

– Also of interest (and, quite frankly, hilarious) was this tweet by Carrington…

Based on what I’ve heard from various folks on the TAMU side, this likely has to do with TAMU trying very hard to flip guys like Coburn and Ingram…which, again, we don’t believe is happening. – (Super K)

*Perhaps the biggest visit of the weekend both literally and figuratively was from Rice LT, Calvin Anderson

Reactions: oldhorn2
NSD2 announcement times:

9am - Andrew Parker
10am - Keondre Coburn, Lawrence Keys III
10:30am - Tommy Bush
10:45am - Joseph Ossai

Ojomo- sometime today???

Jackson- ???

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT