ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Thread 2018

As National Signing Day nears, Texas is looking to put the icing on an impressive 2018 recruiting class. Here is a look at where the Longhorns stand with prospects still on the market.

Locks

WR Joshua Moore, Yoakum —Moore ended his recruitment earlier than expected and gave Texas a verbal commitment over the weekend. Moore is now completely solid to the Longhorns and will sign with UT on Wednesday.

OL Christian Jones, Cy Woods —Jones is the latest recruit to commit to Texas as he gave the Longhorns a verbal pledge on Monday night. Jones picked UT over California and will sign with the Longhorns on Wednesday.

DL Daniel Carson, William Chrisman (MO) —Texas defensive line coach Oscar Giles and Assistant Director of Player Personnel Bryan Carrington won Carson over on his in-home visit as he gave the Longhorns a verbal commitment a couple of weeks ago. He will sign on signing day.

DL Michael Williams, Dunham School (La.) —UT's newest commit, Williams gave the Longhorns a verbal pledge shortly following his official visit a couple of weeks ago. He will sign with Texas on signing day.Tom Hermanmade an in-home visit with him last week.

Should Be In

RB Keaontay Ingram, Carthage —Ingram has been committed to Texas since late May and seemed completely solid. However, the four-star prospect made an under-the-radar official visit to Texas A&M. The Aggies have been pushing, but everything points to him signing with Texas on Wednesday.

NT Keondre Coburn, Spring Westfield —Coburn gave Texas a verbal pledge in August but has always been adamant about keeping his options open. The four-star prospect recently visited Miami and was a no show for his unofficial visit to Texas this weekend. Still, we have reason to believe he will stick with the Longhorns.

DE/OLB.Joseph Ossai, Conroe Oak Ridge —Ossai’s recruitment has been one of the most interesting of the cycle. But it appears the Longhorns have taken the overwhelming lead over Texas A&M in this one. Texas made a tremendous push while Texas A&M scrambled to find a defensive coordinator and took command last month when a trio of coaches made an in-home visit. This one isn’t over just yet, but Texas is in a prime position to seal the deal.

DL Moro Ojomo, Katy —Ojomo could make a decision as soon as today. Right now, this is an Oklahoma-Texas battle with schools like Miami and Oregon on the outside looking in. With that said, the Longhorns appear to have the overwhelming edge over their rivals. Texas blew away Ojomo on his official visit a couple of weeks ago, and it would be surprising not to see him side with the Longhorns.

ILB Andrew Parker, New Orleans Wright (La.) —Parker is currently committed to Arkansas, but it wouldn’t be surprising to see him flip to Texas.Todd Orlandovisited him in Louisiana last week, and the two are quickly building a relationship. The Longhorns also impressed him on his official visit over the weekend by selling the program’s future and an opportunity for early playing time.

On The Bubble

DL Vernon Jackson, Boling —An Alabama commit, Jackson opted not to sign early and is taking a hard look at options closer to home. Jackson recently made an official visit to Texas, and we were told the Longhorns hit a grand slam. According to sources close to Jackson’s recruitment, the three-star prospect is leaning towards staying closer to home — Texas and Texas A&M are the big players in-state. A&M hosted him over the weekend. This one seems like a toss up.

WR Tommy Bush, Schertz Clemens —Texas is back in the mix with Bush. The Longhorns’ staff made a huge push for Bush over the last two weeks, and Texas is a finalist heading into his National Signing Day decision. While he used his final official visit on Baylor, Bush made his way to Texas for an unofficial visit before the dead period. And the Longhorns gave him a lot to think about moving forward.

Outside Looking In

QB Tanner McKee, Corona Centennial (Calif.) —Texas is still a top school for the four-star signal-caller. The Longhorns hosted him for an OV this season and made a nice impression. However, Stanford is the heavy favorite, and BYU is likely running second

WR Lawrence Keys III, McDonogh 35 (La.) —Texas did a terrific job of getting back in the mix with Keys and hosting him for an official visit. However, Notre Dame was always his leader, and he is expected to side with the Fighting Irish on Wednesday. It was too little too late for UT.

WR Jaylen Waddle, Houston Bellaire Episcopal —Texas was actually the favorite for Waddle early in his recruitment. However, the Longhorns slipped throughout the offseason. He didn’t visit before the dead period, so this one is likely done.

if we get errbody y'all say we should get, we're gonna end up with roughly 83 signings. that doesn't seem realistic.

I'm pretty sure that Andrew Parker is going to flip from Arkansas to Texas. Kid can play. He doesn't look like a 3-star to me.

Check out this video:

I came across the rivals list of the top 100 players in the country. There's only one player from Texas in the top 40. Wth is going on here? I know GA has a lot of talent but they have the top 2 players in the county and 5 players before the second player from Texas shows up. NC has more so does LA. Now CA and FL have their share in the top 40 as they should because they're number 2 and 3 after TX for most players to div 1 schools. It's a very southern list but not TX.
I call bs on this.

I came across the rivals list of the top 100 players in the country. There's only one player from Texas in the top 40. Wth is going on here? I know GA has a lot of talent but they have the top 2 players in the county and 5 players before the second player from Texas shows up. NC has more so does LA. Now CA and FL have their share in the top 40 as they should because they're number 2 and 3 after TX for most players to div 1 schools. It's a very southern list but not TX.
I call bs on this.

247 Sports is owned by CBS.
Most recruiting "reporting" firms (including ESPN) have a vested interest.

Best to not get caught up in the fairness of their systems.

My approach is to not give them my money.

Reactions: outhereincali
I’m sorry...what?
Dude is about to graduate high school as a 16 y/o. Thats why everyone is so high, he's going to continue to grow (dad is 6'7) and his ceiling is incredible high. If he was '19 recruit he'd be one of the highest rated recruits in the nation.

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
this has probably been discussed, but:

w/ Ossai we break the 300-threshold...UT has done this twice in modern recruiting history_in 2002(vince) & 2010.

Reactions: q1w2e3
Aggies going hard after Anderson.

Rice grad transfer OT Calvin Anderson had narrowed things to a final three of Auburn, Michigan and Texas but a new Texas A&M offer has his attention.

Anderson is a must have for us at LT. Hopefully we can win that one. And hopefully we also didn't put all of our eggs in his basket as far as grad transfer O linemen goes. I know we were also talking to Kevin Feder from tOSU but not sure how seriously. Missed out on Casey Tucker to ASU. We need a ready made starter at LT stat.

Reactions: LonghornMM
OB War Room
(From Anwar)

It is very rare when a support staff employee becomes one of the most popular staff members at a university.

When you think about it, how many assistant director of player personnel employees outside of Texas can you name? How many have a recruiting impact? Heck, how many people really know the job description? The majority of college football fans know they exist, but knowing names and job descriptions seems more like the answer to a trivia question than anything else.

That is what makes the rise of Bryan Carrington such an intriguing offseason story.

It is very rare – borderline impossible – to see a support staff employee have the recruiting impact Carrington had with the 2018 recruiting class. College football fans are used to seeing head coaches close the deal. High school athletes often attribute the visit from a head coach as what sealed the deal for them. Others talk about the special bond they formed with an assistant coach. Some always dreamed of attending the university. It would take one hell of a Google search to find a number of players who credited their relationship with the assistant director of player personnel for committing to a university.
However, that is exactly what happened this year.

Carrington was the first point of contact for recruits who stepped foot on campus. He is the guy parents and players met when they hit Austin. If we are keeping it real, Carrington was one of the staff members who babysat players until Texas football coach Tom Herman was available. Herman could not give each player individual attention with they hit campus. Instead, it was up to Carrington and others to keep players entertained until they could meet Herman. He showed them around campus. Introduced them to professors. He was relatable. Carrington also went above and beyond.
Texas finished with the fourth ranked recruiting class in 2018, according to Rivals. Carrington helped recruit the majority of players in this year’s class. He was not the lead recruiter on paper. However, when Joseph Ossai made a commitment video and gave Carrington a shout-out, it was clear this support staff member was more than just a pencil pusher.

In fact, Herman knows that.

Herman made Carrington his interim 10th assistant coach before hiring Herb Hand because he knew the young man was having a recruiting impact. Carrington kept tabs on players throughout the season when staff members focused on practice and game day. He kept up with players who were verbally committed. His impact was so undeniable, Herman allowed Carrington to hit the road instead of any other member of his support staff.

As a result, Texas landed a top five class.

“Bryan does a fantastic job of connecting with players,” Herman said on signing day. “He's young. He shares similar backgrounds to a lot of them. Grew up in Houston. He is passionate about the University of Texas. I think where Bryan comes into play is because of that connection, I think it adds a lot of validity to the things that we're saying to the full-time recruiters. We're saying it and we're presenting information, then Bryan is saying, Yeah, man, that's the real deal, that's really how it is here. Oh, I trust this guy. I relate to him. I connect with him.

“It's just an added piece. He's the best in the country. Again, to find the loophole for the 10th coach, we kind of held off on the hiring of our 10th coach. To get him out on the road, I thought was really good, too. I mean, he made a difference. Again, there's nobody in this program that's ever going to get singled out for being more important in recruiting or on the field than any other. Like I said, it's a 500-piece puzzle, and they all got to fit. They're all roughly the same size. The puzzle doesn't work if even just one is missing. Bryan does a phenomenal job. I hope he sticks around for a long, long time.”

The fascinating part about Carrington’s rise at Texas is he appeared of the blue at Houston.

From what I was told, Carrington randomly showed up at the University of Houston as junior and offered to help as recruiter for free. Nobody knew who he was at the time. Carrington was just a sports administration major who wanted to work in the football office. He was impressive enough for Houston to hire him for free.
His job at Houston was to evaluate tape, cut up film and be a campus liaison. Think about your internship and responsibilities. That was Carrington in the college office at Houston.
Instead of viewing the job as an internship, I was told Carrington treated it as an opportunity.

He started to have a recruiting impact. Carrington had a natural gift of connecting with high school players and parents. The young man put in extra hours at the office while working on his college degree. It was clear Carrington was destined to be a part of Houston’s staff.

That is why when Herman was hired at Texas, he gave Carrington a job. There was no way Herman was going to leave Carrington behind. Sure, Carrington never recruited for a power five school, but to Herman’s credit, he believed the young man could be special. From what I have heard, and you can see, Herman was not wrong.
The only question remaining is when will Herman give Carrington a bump in pay and job title.

Carrington earns $47,500 in his current position, but clearly deserves more. Herman does not want Carrington to leave, and a pay bump is a good way to prevent it. Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte previously said he would not lose a staff member because of money when asked about defensive coordinator Todd Orlando’s extension, and rewarding Carrington does not seem to be an issue, according to people associated with the program.
It is rare when a support staff employee gains Carrington’s popularity.
That being said, Carrington is destined to be rewarded for his unexpected recruiting impact.

Texas receiver Reggie Hemphill-Mapps' decision to transfer did not come as a huge surprise to anyone this week.

However, Longhorn fans would like to know why he decided to leave.
The main reason Hemphill-Mapps left is because he was not connected to the members of this staff. Hemphill-Mapps was recruited by former coach Charlie Strong, with whom he has a strong relationship. He decommitted from Texas before eventually signing a scholarship because of the close relationship he developed with Strong. In fact, Hemphill-Mapps was one of the players who voiced their displeasure after Strong was fired.

Reggie@ReggieHemphill

I'm gone miss Coach Strong
1f918-1f3fe.png
1f402.png
1f614.png

9:50 AM - Nov 26, 2016 · Houston, TX

· 50 people are talking about this

Twitter Ads info and privacy

Hemphill-Mapps was among the players who resisted buying in with the new staff prior to last season. Through time, Hemphill-Mapps became compliant and did what it took to get on the field, but was never 100-percent happy with the staff, his sporadic playing time, and he was eventually suspended for non-football reasons and missed parts of multiple games. Prior to the bowl game, I heard Hemphill-Mapps was one of the players who might transfer after this season.

A few weeks ago, I was told Hemphill-Mapps might want to remain at Texas this year, but his attitude quickly changed back to unhappiness.

From what I was told, Texas did not let Hemphill-Mapps leave without a fight. Several members of the football staff tried convincing Hemphill-Mapps to stay on several occasions. Not only did the staff attempt to convince Hemphill-Mapps to stay on the phone, but there were home visits, too. As hard as the staff tried, Hemphill-Mapps was unwilling to remain at Texas.
That being said, I get the feeling everyone associated with the program is ready to move on.

One person told me, “Everyone is needed, but nobody is necessary” when asked about Hemphill-Mapps' decision to leave.

While we are on the subject, it does not appear Devin and Donovan Duvernay are preparing to leave Texas anytime soon.

Both players are currently participating in winter conditioning and expected to participate in spring practice. Obviously, anything can happen this offseason, and there will be attrition throughout the offseason because players leave every year. That being said, if they decided to leave anytime soon, it would be a surprise to everyone associated with the program.

(From Suchomel)

Wednesday was a big day for the Longhorns in filling out the rest of their 2018 recruiting class, but that didn’t stop fans from being focused on graduate transfer offensive lineman Calvin Anderson.
We touched base with Anderson on Thursday to get an update on his situation. The Rice transfer will visit Auburn this weekend – his third official visit after Texas and Michigan – and Texas A&M offered on Wednesday. Aside from those two developments, things are in a bit of a holding pattern.

“Nothing has changed from the last time we talked other than A&M reaching out. As of now, I’ve only spoken to them. They told me about the offer, and we’re going to speak again after the Auburn visit.

“I am evaluating all my options. This is a seven-month decision.”

As for where things stand, Texas is still in a very good position. Anderson again listed Texas and Michigan in his top tier. Auburn is in a tier behind those two, with Oklahoma behind Auburn. TCU, right now, is in the fifth spot, but Anderson said Texas A&M could move into that slot after he talks to them next week.

Anderson speaks with Texas offensive line coach Herb Hand regularly (they spoke earlier this week) and Texas defensive end Breckyn Hager is recruiting Anderson daily.

“(Hand) is a great guy. I’ve said this before, but he’s going to be great for Texas football years after I’m potentially there. I still feel great about Texas. I talk to Breckyn Hager every day. That’s my boy. I feel great about Texas. Nothing’s changed there.”

Hand and Anderson have really hit it off and Anderson said he likes everything he’s heard from UT’s new assistant both in terms of football conversation and life in general.

“The cliché, don’t judge a book by its cover. He’s a big guy, looks like a football coach, but behind that, he’s a very intelligent, wise, experienced man,” Anderson said. “I’ve really enjoyed my time getting to talk to him, not just about family, about life, his family experiences, some things he’s been a part of. It’s incredible. I think the way he views life is going to help Texas.”
Anderson took in the Texas-OU basketball game on Saturday on what he said was a bit of a spur of the moment trip that didn’t involve a lot of recruitment by the football staff.

The Texas A&M offer is interesting, and while the Aggies are down the list, Anderson said he feels he owes it to himself to at least hear out A&M’s sales pitch.

“They play in SEC, the biggest conference, and the pedigree of the coach (stand out),” Anderson said. “Their O-line coach has coached the most first-round tackles (over the past four years). That’s a huge plus. Those are probably the two biggest (reasons he’ll look at A&M).”

Anderson still plans to decide on or before March 25, his birthday.
New signee Keondre Coburn didn’t waste any time on Wednesday in getting his letter of intent in to Texas. Coburn sent it in before 7:30 a.m., eliminating any speculation about him considering Miami.
Remember, Coburn took an official visit to Miami a couple weeks ago and the Hurricanes sent several coaches, including head coach Mark Richt, to do an in-home visit after that.

I spoke with Coburn on Thursday, and he said the race between Texas and Miami was much closer than some realize.

“It was close. I wanted to go to Miami. But I was keeping loyal to the class I was going to, so I had to say with the class we had,” Coburn said.

Was there a time when Coburn actually thought he was going to flip?
“Yeah, there was a time. I don’t remember when, but it really was that close,” he said.

Along with Miami, Coburn said he strongly considered taking official visits to TCU, A&M, Alabama and Oregon. Those schools were on him “non-stop” down the stretch, he said.

So how does it feel to have his recruitment behind him and be signed with Texas?

“It feels great. I’m finally stress free,” Coburn said. “Nobody is calling my phone anymore.”

Fellow defensive tackle signee Moro Ojomo didn’t do many interviews at all during the recruiting process. In fact, I’m not sure if he ever did one.

On Thursday, I was finally able to track Ojomo down to talk about his decision to sign with Texas.

“It feels god. I’m finally happy to get to work, workout and get better, get ready to compete for possibly a starting position, become a better player,” Ojomo said. “I always pride myself on improving every single year I play football, always want to improve my play.”

Ojomo, who goes 6-3, 280, doesn’t even turn 17 until August 15. He’s originally from Nigeria before moving to the U.S. at age 8. He said in Nigeria, they go by the British school system and he started schools two years earlier than kids do in America. Needless to say, he has room for growth and tremendous upside.

As for his decision to commit to Texas on Tuesday, there seemed to be signs pointing in that direction for a while, but Ojomo said he really didn’t decide until this week.

“I didn’t really know until the end. To be frankly honest with you, it was between OU, Oregon and Texas,” Ojomo said. “I really loved all three places, really saw a future at all three. They were great places, great coaches, amazing facilities. It was a heart-breaking decision because they were all great places.

“I actually decided on Monday.”

So what led Ojomo to choose the Longhorns over OU and Oregon?
“I just felt a feeling from God,” Ojomo said. “It just felt like the right place to go. My family is really religious, and it just felt like the best fit.”

Texas told Ojomo to come in “ready” to play as he’ll have a chance to compete for early playing time. Interestingly, Ojomo flew under the radar for most of the year until Texas offered in December, setting off a windfall of other offers.

“I didn’t have that crazy of a junior year. That’s number one. I had a good junior year, but became a more consistent player (as a senior),” Ojomo said. “My senior year tape came out kind of late. Also, I feel people feel connected to people they’ve known for a long time. I feel my tape speaks for myself. I was playing at 275 so it’s not much different than what I am now.”

Alabama presented an offer the week before National Signing Day and Nick Saban was in Katy trying to get Ojomo to visit. He nearly did, which might have made things interesting, but thankfully for Texas, Ojomo is a man of his word.

“I thought about visiting Alabama,” Ojomo said. “But I had given my word to Oregon and I’m big on keeping my word.”

Fort Worth All Saints Episcopal linebacker Luke Brockermeyer took an unofficial visit to Texas two weekends ago. He announced on Tuesday night that he would be attending Texas as a preferred walk-on over taking a scholarship at Rice.

It turns out it was a pretty easy decision for Brockermeyer.
“To be honest, I’ve known probably since I took my unofficial visit a couple weeks ago that I’d end up at Texas,” Brockermeyer said. “It was just kind of a waiting game on admissions. I got official word (on Tuesday) that I was in. knew today that I was ready to make the call.”

Brockermeyer, who will enroll in June, said he discussed his options with his parents after Texas invited him to walk on. Once he got their full approval, his decision was made.

“I wanted to make sure with my parents that they would be okay with me going to Texas on our own dime. Once they were okay with it and supported me, I was on board,” Brockermeyer said. “I kind of look back at Baker Mayfield, his recruitment, I kind of see some similarities that we both have some small offers, but both want to pay big-time football.”

With his decision now behind him, Brockermeyer said it’s a weight lifted off his shoulders and he’s excited about what the future will hold as part of the Texas football team.

“When I got the news, I was so relieved, just thankful. It’s just truly a blessing from God,” he said. “I’m just glad the process is over with. I think at end of the day, I’m in the right spot. I’m just excited for the opportunity.

“I just got the vibe that Texas is on its way back. I honestly believe we’ll be able to compete for a national championship during my four years there. That’s something I wanted to be a part of.”

Reactions: CoachEmUp64
OB Class Awards:

As we do every year, it's time for a little fun as we cast our votes in a variety of areas with the 2018 Texas signing class ...

OFFENSIVE MVP

Anwar: Brennan Eagles - I thought about going with Keaontay Ingram, but it is unclear how he will develop as a run blocker. Eagles should be in the mix for playing time this season. He can have an immediate impact.

Ketchum: Brennan Eagles - If the coaches develop him properly, he stays healthy and takes care of business, we're talking about a kid with first day of the NFL Draft upside.

McComas: Keaontay Ingram - The Longhorns desperately needed to add a running back, and Ingram could be the best pass-catching back in the country. He’ll arrive at Texas after a highly successful and productive high school career, and has the size, talent, and well-rounded game to contribute early if needed.
Suchomel: Cameron Rising - It has to be a QB, right? I’ll go with Cameron Rising since I’ve already heard good things about him in his short time on campus, but I’m not even sure I have the right quarterback.

DEFENSIVE MVP

Anwar: Caden Sterns - Probably an easy choice for all the obvious reasons. Sterns might be three-and-done because he is just that damn good.

Ketchum: Caden Sterns -The most Earl Thomas-like kid that the Longhorns have signed since ... well ...Earl.

McComas: DeMarvion Overshown - Keondre Coburn could have been the pick here given his positional value, and Overshown isn’t the highest rated defensive back Texas signed. However, Overshown is a long, physical, rangy ballhawk that will become one of Texas’s most physical players the moment he puts pads on. Plus, Overshown could give Texas a Jason Hall-type look near the line of scrimmage in the “lightning package” as a rusher, run-stopper, and coverage guy.

Suchomel: B.J. Foster – Tough call for me here, but I’ll go with Foster since I’ve tabbed him as the best player in the state for a long while.

OFFENSIVE EARLY CONTRIBUTOR

Anwar: Brennan Eagles - I have to stay with Eagles on this one. It is hard to imagine a scenario where he is not playing in week one. A person in the building compared Eagles to Roy Williams. I believe him.
Ketchum: Keontay Ingram - My real answer is Calvin Anderson, but for now I'll go with the guy that the coaches have told to be ready come June.

McComas: Mikey Grandy - JUCO offensive linemen aren’t recruited to sit on the sidelines. It would be a disappointment for Texas if Grandy isn’t immediately competing for a starting spot at one of the interior line positions. As for the high school prospects, Ingram could fit here and so could Houston Lamar wide receiver Al’Vonte Woodard. Woodard has a solid all-around skill-set and the size and hands to make an impact early.

Suchomel: Mikey Grandy – Brennan Eagles makes sense here as well, but you don’t bring in JUCO players to sit the bench, and Texas needs help on the offensive line so Grandy makes perfect sense.

DEFENSIVE EARLY CONTRIBUTOR

Anwar: Anthony Cook - At worst, Cook contributes on special teams. At best, he is in the rotation from day one.

Ketchum: Caden Sterns - War daddy gonna War Daddy when the fall rolls around.

McComas: Keondre Coburn - Texas really, really needed to sign some defensive tackles, and at 6-2, 305 pounds, Coburn is physically ready to get on the field early at a need position. He plays with surprising quickness to compliment his strength and leverage.
Suchomel: Keondre Coburn – Nearly went with Jalen Green again, because I think he’s in the rotation early, but Texas needs its defensive tackle signees to contribute right away.

UNDERRATED OFFENSIVE PLAYER

Anwar: Cameron Dicker - This is the only category to put him in, but imagine if the guy can make extra points and short field goals. Hell, imagine if Dicker has range. If he solves the kicking problem, Herman finally has more options.

Ketchum: Joshua Moore - I'm not sure enough people truly appreciate just how good of a late addition this was because they had talked themselves into him not being that valuable when it seemed like he was going elsewhere. He's a baller.

McComas: Reese Moore - A high school tight end and basketball player, Moore has terrific feet and quickness for a 6-5, 285-pound prospect. His frame will take on more weight and muscle with no issue, and this is the type of offensive line prospect that down the road could develop into an all-conference player because he’s an agile big guy with length and quickness.

Suchomel: Reese Moore – He’s a couple years away from helping, but I love his athleticism and long-term upside.

UNDERRATED DEFENSIVE PLAYER

Anwar: Byron Hobbs - He committed so long ago, it is easy to forget about him. Hobbs need bulk on that long frame, but could be an impact player in the future.

Ketchum: Mike Williams - It's going to take a couple of years to get there, but there's a starter kit in there that could turn into a Sunday player.

McComas: Moro Ojomo - Have I mentioned that I really like Moro Ojomo? He’s young for a senior, and his body screams physical upside. Then the tape shows an outstanding talent with quickness, motor, strength, hand usage, and quality technique. He looks like a national top 100 player on film, and a future monster.

Suchomel: Moro Ojomo – Easy choice here. He looks more like a Rivals250 player to me than he does a three-star player.

FIRST TO SCORE

Anwar: – Keontay Ingram - There are not a lot of bodies standing in his way. Ingram has the explosiveness Texas needs in the running game. I would not be shocked if he started on day one.
Ketchum: Keontay Ingram - In the third quarter of the first game. Write it in ink.

McComas: Brennan Eagles - Eagles is 6-4 with good ball skills and impressive athleticism. His talent is going to be tough to keep off the field when Texas gets in the red zone.

Suchomel: Keaontay Ingram – I expect he’ll play pretty early, and he’ll get a mop-up TD early in the win before gradually seeing his role increase.

BEST ATHLETE

Anwar: Keondre Coburn - Any person who is listed at 6-foot-3, 334 pounds and can move like Coburn is one hell of an athlete. He pretty much bull rushed in high school because nobody could stop him. Once Coburn improves his technique, he will be a beast.
Ketchum: Brennan Eagles - No one in this class ticks off the athletic boxes like this kid does.

McComas: Joshua Moore - Moore played all over the field – receiver, wildcat quarterback, defensive back, and returner. He also plays basketball and ran track. The future Longhorn is a great example of a guy that could line up all over the field and find a way to make plays. Oh, he also posted an extremely impressive 3.96 shuttle time.

Suchomel: Mike Williams - Tough call here. B.J. Moore, Brennan Eagles, Joshua Moore, Caden Sterns, Mike Williams … take your pick really. I’m going to give the nod to Williams after seeing what he can do with the ball in his hands and listening to Tom Herman describe his strength and flexibility.

MOST EXCITING

Anwar: Joshua Moore - He is viewed as a guy who can do anything. For now, Moore has a clear path to be the No. 1 returner this season with the departure of Reggie Hemphill-Mapps.

Ketchum: Caden Sterns - He's worth the price of admission by himself.
McComas: Brennan Eagles - Blessed with create-a-player physical traits, Eagles has the talent to create excitement each time he’s on the field.
Suchomel: D’Shawn Jamison – This dude does a little bit of everything on the football field, and he does it all really well.

HARDEST HITTER

Anwar: Ayodele Adeoye - Just check out his Hudl film.

Ketchum: DeMarvion Overshown - He's got a little Ivan Drago in him when he gets running downhill.

McComas: DeMarvion Overshown - Overshown’s film probably caused some “viruses” to pop up around high school programs the week they were scheduled to play Arp. Ayodele Adeoye is a close second.
Suchomel: DeMarvion Overshown – Easy choice … put on the tape and view it for yourself.

BEST MOMENT

Anwar: Ingram rushes for 150 yards and two touchdowns during a 31-17 win against Oklahoma this year.

Ketchum: The commitment of Cameron Rising - To steal a big-time out of state quarterback prospect away from your biggest rival in a year when the in-state talent was kind of weak ... baller.
McComas: Keeping Coburn and landing Ojomo - It’s no secret: the Longhorns really, really, REALLY needed to sign some defensive tackles. Keeping Coburn in the mix and landing an elite talent like Ojomo was huge for the Texas program.

Suchomel: Cameron Rising’s commitment - In all my years of covering recruiting, that commitment was one of the biggest surprises I can remember. I was completely caught off guard, he’s a high-level quarterback, and the fact that he’s a flip from OU made it even more interesting.

WORST MOMENT

Anwar: Ryan Bujcevski follows Michael Dickson’s footsteps and his first spring practice punt lands in the street. However, he follows that up by having the same success as Dickson at Texas.

Ketchum: The lack of oomph in DWF - The Longhorns knocked it out of the park in Houston, East Texas and San Antonio, but the top 5 kids in the Metroplex went to Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt, LSU and Oklahoma, respectively, That can't keep happening.
McComas: Justin Watkins sucking Texas into his cycle - Justin Watkins is really talented, and signed with Florida. He also at one time was committed to LSU, Florida State, and Texas. It’s difficult to fault Texas for taking his commitment, but it wasn’t difficult to forecast Watkins as potentially the biggest flip-flopper in the 2018 class given his track record. Did this effect someone like Jaylen Waddle? Perhaps. Fortunately for Texas, this was the toughest section to fill out.

Suchomel: The saga of Vernon Jackson, which finally ended on Thursday with him signing with Texas A&M.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT