ADVERTISEMENT

So how far down the list do the Aggies have to go to get a coach ?

Sumlin conference record

2017 4-4
2016 4-4
2015 4-4
2014 3-5
2013 4-4
2012 6-2

So basically Sumlin is an average coach. I don't think he recruited most of the 2012 team since it was his first year.

So aggy is no better in the SEC than they were in the B12.
Sumlin was average at best. That 2012 team was as loaded on offense as any recent team.
QB 1st rounder Manziel
RB 2nd rounder Michael
RB UFA Malena
WR 1st rounder Evans
WR 6th rounder Swoops
WR UFA Nwachuku
And the OL was ridiculous
OT 1st rounder Joeckel
OT 1st rounder Matthews
G 1st rounder Ogbuehi
G 5th rounder Harrison
C UFA who stuck in NFL a few years Lewis

Does not take a genius to do ok with that on offense. Those guys were starters, not young guys who played later.

Why would Patterson even answer the phone? Gundy looks like he wants out of Stillwater. If he doesn’t want the Tennessee mess I could see him potemtially going to college station.

We don't want to get stuck with choice #9 during our coach search like another instate college was after going all in on Saban.

You might. Don't think that aggy is some special place. Its not. IMO, the coaches available at this time aren't all that impressive. I don't think a&m lands Fisher. He's going to use aggy to get a raise for himself, his assistants and to improve the facilities at FSU. Leverage is a powerful thing. Chad Morris is more aggy's type of candidate.

It would be hard for me to get excited about a coach who sunk FSU into a 3-5 conference record. At this point he's, at best, the third best coach in the ACC behind Dabo and Richt. A lot has changed since he took over.

It would be hard for me to get excited about a coach who sunk FSU into a 3-5 conference record. At this point he's, at best, the third best coach in the ACC behind Dabo and Richt. A lot has changed since he took over.
Active college national championship coaches: Saban, Meyer, Swinney, Jimbo and ...... I must be forgetting a lot of coaches, as anyone can win it all once. He is not great like Saban or Meyer but he is in the next larger group of 10 or so real good coaches.

So if Jimbo is so great at recruiting, why can’t he win with the elite talent he had this year? I know Francois went down, but shouldn’t he have recruited a good qb to replace him?

Not sure "ass-kicking" is the correct terminology. You have 3 total commitments more than us with 4 more 4 stars. You have no 5 stars, which is amazing, considering the "bump" players always seem to get from recruiting services when the commit to Texas. This minor discrepancy is also amazing considering the stability there vs. here this year. Whomever we hire will have us back in the top ten virtually immediately I believe.
WOW!

One thing is certain. If Jimbo leaves for a&m (and I think its a mistake) the FSU job becomes the number one job opening in the country. It will be fun to watch who they bring to Tallahassee.

Sorry but ALOT of people think Aggieland is a special place; not just Aggies. I wouldn't expect you to think so, but it is true.

Other than playing Bama what about Sumlin's SEC schedules were hard?
Oh, I don't know. Florida has been a dog that won't stay down, Miss St just made a great hire, Ole Miss is Ole Miss, Auburn is above Aggy, Arkansas can be a thorn, LSU will always be more premire, eventually Aggy will find a way to beat them and Bama is Bama as long as Saban is there. Saban just owned Jimbo in the opener by the way. The ACC is not a football conference other than a few contenders.

Sorry but ALOT of people think Aggieland is a special place; not just Aggies. I wouldn't expect you to think so, but it is true.
It's really not unless you're redass or invested in the culture. This is a money whip, nothing more. 70 million dollars. Jimbo is not coming to Aggieland because it is special.

My older brother is an '88 AG. lol

Last edited:
Oh, I don't know. Florida has been a dog that won't stay down, Miss St just made a great hire, Ole Miss is Ole Miss, Auburn is above Aggy, Arkansas can be a thorn, LSU will always be more premire, eventually Aggy will find a way to beat them and Bama is Bama as long as Saban is there. Saban just owned Jimbo in the opener by the way. The ACC is not a football conference other than a few contenders.

How many times has Sumlin even played Florida? Is your argument that going .500 in the SEC and I believe against the SEC west his record is well south of .500 is the equivalent to winning championships in the ACC?

I can agree if you are claiming he won't have the success aggy is hoping for, but I disagree if you think he is the same level of coach as Sumlin.

How many times has Sumlin even played Florida? Is your argument that going .500 in the SEC and I believe against the SEC west his record is well south of .500 is the equivalent to winning championships in the ACC?

I can agree if you are claiming he won't have the success aggy is hoping for, but I disagree if you think he is the same level of coach as Sumlin.

I don't think he's an upper echelon coach Sumlin or Jimbo, his best years came with JW in hand, Sumlin's best years with JM in hand.... Sorry about the mention of UF, I was thinking they were cross division rival, but that's South Carolina. I do think Sumlin could very well fair on the same side of good fortune coaching at FSU.

Since ND joined in Football in 2013, Jimbo hasn't faced them. They added Pitt and Syracuse in 2013 and Louisville in 2014. He has already lost to Louisville twice 2016 mudholed, 2017.

One undefeated season and one one loss season when they never should have been in the playoff and got mudholed by Oregon, both seasons with Famous Winston!

Thumped by OU twice in 2010 and 2011, Thumped by Bama with team in tact as preseason No. 3 in 2017.

Much like the SEC, they have two games a year versus squads named: Delaware State, ULM, Chattanooga Mocs, Texas State, Idaho Vandals, Nevada, Bethune-Cookman, etc....

They play, NC State, UNC, Wake, BC, Duke, GT, on a normal basis....It's not even close to the comp in the SEC.

Believe what you will. Jimbo has had 3 great seasons 2012-2014.

Since then, they have lost to: GT, Clemson x 3, Houston (Tom Herman), Lousivlle x 2, UNC, Bama, Miami, NC State and BC.

Last edited:

These arguments are stupid. Coaches are mercenaries. Some may have sentimental ties to certain areas or schools but the vast majority are chasing $$ and egos. Yeah maybe if all things are equal it location may mean something, but all things are rarely equal. With a 5mm+ annual salary does anyone think it's difficult to have quality of life anywhere in this country.

If he leaves it's for more money and a better contract. If FSU matches he'll stay. If FSU doesn't match it it's obvious they don't think he's worth it. Aggy is more desperate than FSU right now...

These arguments are stupid. Coaches are mercenaries. Some may have sentimental ties to certain areas or schools but the vast majority are chasing $$ and egos. Yeah maybe if all things are equal it location may mean something, but all things are rarely equal. With a 5mm+ annual salary does anyone think it's difficult to have quality of life anywhere in this country.
Right on. Have you ever visited Clemson? Has to be bottom 10% of college campuses. But Dabo seems to have made a nice life for himself on his $7 million per year. If bottom line was location, location, location he would be the UCLA coach right now.

Right on. Have you ever visited Clemson? Has to be bottom 10% of college campuses. But Dabo seems to have made a nice life for himself on his $7 million per year. If bottom line was location, location, location he would be the UCLA coach right now.

Location? Just me, buy why in the world would anyone want to live in LA? No thanks. The Carolinas > LA. No contest.

Jimbo as an average coach. He win a NC with a once in 15 year QB. Have fun with kellen mond

good grief, if they get gundy they're gonna be all over his consecutive wins vs Texas. they're gonna chirp like johnny football himself was slinging touchdowns all over us.

79f7b3d2e2aa19a5ce6e852ae5147081.jpg

Reactions: thedawg27
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT