ADVERTISEMENT

So how far down the list do the Aggies have to go to get a coach ?

I agree, it's almost as if he has to make multiple playoffs to get value on his soon to be contract, but as a fan I don't really care about value. Also I've read the 40 million Jimbo buyout is what's owed to him if he's fired by FSU, not what he owes FSU to walk. That number is only around 7 million. Have no idea what the facts are, but no school is paying 40 million to just get a coach out of a contract, so I assume that buyout # is being misinterpreted.
I saw that that actual buyout is only going to be around 7 million, but that's owed within 30 or 60 days plus Sumlin 10.4 million. So, 17.4 million just to get him to consider a fat contract with guarantees. Crazy!

Reactions: bubba2023
aggy is ramping up the competition due to the complete ass kicking we are giving them in recruiting. See my hypothetical post on how this game is played. Looks like some of the aggy BMD's have cashed out on their stock portfolios and are putting the $$ to good use.

FYI..rice just opened up. I know its not related to atm but they may look at some guys in the big 12.

aggy is ramping up the competition due to the complete ass kicking we are giving them in recruiting. See my hypothetical post on how this game is played. Looks like some of the aggy BMD's have cashed out on their stock portfolios and are putting the $$ to good use.
Not sure "ass-kicking" is the correct terminology. You have 3 total commitments more than us with 4 more 4 stars. You have no 5 stars, which is amazing, considering the "bump" players always seem to get from recruiting services when the commit to Texas. This minor discrepancy is also amazing considering the stability there vs. here this year. Whomever we hire will have us back in the top ten virtually immediately I believe.

Not sure "ass-kicking" is the correct terminology. You have 3 total commitments more than us with 4 more 4 stars. You have no 5 stars, which is amazing, considering the "bump" players always seem to get from recruiting services when the commit to Texas. This minor discrepancy is also amazing considering the stability there vs. here this year. Whomever we hire will have us back in the top ten virtually immediately I believe.
Probably, Aggy is destined to become somebody, someday on the gridiron. Just think, You've struggled with Mullen, he leaves Starkvegas only to head to a more powerful program which is your cross division game and you still have to deal with tier 1 programs every year in Bama and LSU with the occasional ass stomping by a Mississippi team and of course a more prominent program in Auburn. Money whip Jimbo, He is extremely similar to Sumlin. He likes to lose 3-4 conference games as well without a generational talent at QB and that's to lessor squads than Aggy currently plays.

Last edited:
Reactions: LonghornMM
You have had NFL caliber recruit's since sumlin got there. Jimbo has zero clue how to coach in the SEC....good luck with that.

To me it's telling that FSU doesn't sound like they will match the offer or give Jimbo what he wants. I'm not sure they want him to stay as bad as people think. FSU might be thinking this a way to get out of a $40 million contract. Especially after the season they just had.

If he's starting at 7.5/7yrs, then imagine what they will be paying when he renegotiates after a couple of years.

To me it's telling that FSU doesn't sound like they will match the offer or give Jimbo what he wants. I'm not sure they want him to stay as bad as people think. FSU might be thinking this a way to get out of a $40 million contract. Especially after the season they just had.

If he's starting at 7.5/7yrs, then imagine what they will be paying when he renegotiates after a couple of years.

Possibly, but the flipside to that he's not worth it coin is you voluntarily put yourself in a horrible coaching market. A program trying to find some value in their coaches is a lost cause.

True...11 years ago as a OC. It will be interesting to see how he does. I wonder how much of the staff wants to go with him to collie station.

Why wouldn't they? Money from aggy spends the same as money from other programs.

Jimbo may or may not leave FSU for A&M. He may or may not be the guy to take A&M to an elite level. But it is a good sign that BMA's are all in. Hopefully that commitment includes recruiting. If not, it's all for nothing. No coach can do it on his own. None. Not even Saban or Myer.

Jimbo may or may not leave FSU for A&M. He may or may not be the guy to take A&M to an elite level. But it is a good sign that BMA's are all in. Hopefully that commitment includes recruiting. If not, it's all for nothing. No coach can do it on his own. None. Not even Saban or Myer.
It's happening dude.

I don't think he will be any different than Sumlin. He's getting paid.
I think he's better than Sumlin, but not elite. He'll need elite talent to win more than 8 or 9 a year in the SECW. Only a couple coaches are truly elite.

Time will tell.

I agree better than Sumlin cost a lot of money though, but fans shouldn't care about that. Probably not going to get you consistently over the Bama/LSU hump in your division though.

I agree better than Sumlin cost a lot of money though, but fans shouldn't care about that. Probably not going to get you consistently over the Bama/LSU hump in your division though.
Better in what way? Winston defined Jimbo's best years and he coaches in the ACC which is far easier than the SEC...

Reactions: diadevic
Better in what way? Winston defined Jimbo's best years and he coaches in the ACC which is far easier than the SEC...

Well okay removing his two best years. He won a BCS bowl pre Winston and won the conference as well. Has had 2 new years six bowl appearances sans Winston as well. He didn't win a championship every year or anything but we are comparing him to Sumlin not Saban.

Maybe his best years are behind him but his resume is certainly a lot better than Sumlins. I have to at least call it an upgrade at this point. What is so hard about coaching in the SEC save the one game against Bama?

Last edited:
Well okay removing his two best years. He won a BCS bowl pre Winston and won the conference as well. Has had 2 new years six bowl appearances sans Winston as well. He didn't win a championship every year or anything but we are comparing him to Sumlin not Saban.

Maybe his best years are behind him but his resume is certainly a lot better than Sumlins. I have to at least call it an upgrade at this point.
I figure comp. comes into play as well. They are very similar.

Been in a meeting all day and just got back in front of my computer. I'm not seeing anything official with Fisher to a&m. I don't think its a done deal.

mm42 is right. There is no guarantee that Fisher is coming to a&m, and if he does, there is no guarantee that he'll recruit lights out and produce any better than Sumlin did.

Other than playing Bama what about Sumlin's SEC schedules were hard?
LSU, Auburn, Ole Miss, Arkansas and Mississippi State are all physical teams. ACC has some top teams, but the physical grind isn't the same. Neither is the financial and emotional commitment from the schools. The DL play in the SECW is different than all others.
LSU has more guys in the NFL than Alabama, or anyone else. Just not the coaching.

SECW was down this year, but Bama & Auburn are elite, and LSU has elite talent. Mississippi State was pretty good, due to their QB and toughness. Arkie & Ole Miss were just bad. Sumlin only beat the bad SECW teams. Couldn't beat the pretty good Miss St or talented but flawed LSU. Struggled with the bad teams as well.

Last edited:
The Only "down teams" in the West were Old Miss and Arkansas. The Top 4 were as good as they've been with Bama maybe a bit injury-ridden. It's a physical league with tough home fields...except for ours of course. I DO believe, however, that nobody is unbeatable.

LSU, Auburn, Ole Miss, Arkansas and Mississippi State are all physical teams. ACC has some top teams, but the physical grind isn't the same. Neither is the financial and emotional commitment from the schools. The DL play in the SECW is different than all others.
LSU has more guys in the NFL than Alabama, or anyone else. Just not the coaching.

SECW was down this year, but Bama & Auburn are elite, and LSU has elite talent. Mississippi State was pretty good, due to their QB and toughness. Arkie & Ole Miss were just bad. Sumlin only beat the bad SECW teams. Couldn't beat the pretty good Miss St or talented but flawed LSU. Struggled with the bad teams as well.

stop this! there was 1 year (14 i believe) where all these teams were really good. and they were that year, no doubt. but that was 1 year. other than that, bama has been really good every year. auburn is good one year, then really bad the next 2. lsu is really good on defense every year but has run a 1975 offense. the mississippis-- people act like they've been these juggernauts for years. truth is, mullin (and dak) made one of them DECENT (not anything special). cheating made the other really good one year and decent the rest of the time. arkansas has been merely decent throughout.

so other than bama, there hasn't been any consistent greatness. lsu is talented but flawed. and malzahn gets it right in the years he's about to get fired. other than that, it's a bunch of 7-5 teams that get to 7-5 because they each get 3-4 layups in non-conference. like, uncontested layups.

stop spewing tired rhetoric. fact-- atm and mizzou dragged the sec kicking-and-screaming into the 21st century because they had no idea how to properly defend a spread offense until mizzou and ag arrived, with the exception of... wait for it... charlie strong.

I'm not going to argue that the SEC west isn't a tough division, nor would I debate someone that wants to claim that it's the toughest in college football. My point was it is not so much tougher that a coach that finished with a putrid SEC record is similar to a coach that has won the ACC multiple times, won a BCS bowl, won a NC, another playoff berth, and multiple NY6 appearances. Having a losing SEC record is not the equivalent of winning other conferences.

Not that I am saying Jimbo is leading aggy to the promise land, but he's an upgrade over Sumlin.

TexExSpur do you not realize how bad Sumlin was against the SEC? I mean his records are solid overall but that was only because they scheduled so many give me wins.

LOL at aggies talking up the SEC West likes it's some juggernaut, and making up abstract excuses like "physical".

BTW, Fisher at A&M has all the makings of the next Franchione.

Sumlin conference record

2017 4-4
2016 4-4
2015 4-4
2014 3-5
2013 4-4
2012 6-2

So basically Sumlin is an average coach. I don't think he recruited most of the 2012 team since it was his first year.

So aggy is no better in the SEC than they were in the B12.

Last edited:
Reactions: LonghornMM
Sumlin conference record

2017 4-4
2016 4-4
2015 4-4
2014 3-5
2013 4-4
2012 6-2

So basically Sumlin is an average recruiter. I don't think he recruited most of the 2012 team since it was his first year.

So aggy is no better in the SEC than they were in the B12.

Yeah the only year they had a winning record in the SEC was because their team was comprised of only Big12 players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT