ADVERTISEMENT

Spare the remarks, I know you don't care, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The heyday of OB as a business is now. They heyday of OB as a community was the early to mid '00s. The reality is it's nearly impossible to prevent the degradation of the community feel on OB as it grows. That's the nature of anything, cities, businesses, and even message boards. The more people you stick in one place, the more you're going to find people who drive you crazy, and the less you're going to like the place. Have you met anybody who likes Austin better now than when it was half its current size? Also, keep in mind, Ketch has charged the same rate for over 11 years. You could get rid of a lot of people by raising rates to where they probably should be $15/mo. But, the smaller your customer base, the more at risk you are.

One thing Warchant does that I like is they have a "Club Level" board that is for annual subscribers only (not month to month). It's very much the Alamo Drafthouse of boards. Much like Alamo Drafthouse has a zero tolerance policy for talking or cell phone usage during movies, they have ZERO tolerance on the Club Level for name calling, hate speech, etc. Fans of other teams are not allowed on it. Those that violate the strict policies of the board are banned from it permanently. They still can post on the Tribal Council board, which is their version of the 40 Acres. B/c of the stricter rules and admission requirements, it's a much smaller and more docile community. And, for the most part, everyone gets along well. It reminds me a lot of the early OB board. That might be a solution for guys like Hornbacker who prefer a different scene, but want to remain active posters.

The heyday of OB as a business is now. They heyday of OB as a community was the early to mid '00s. The reality is it's nearly impossible to prevent the degradation of the community feel on OB as it grows. That's the nature of anything, cities, businesses, and even message boards. The more people you stick in one place, the more you're going to find people who drive you crazy, and the less you're going to like the place. Have you met anybody who likes Austin better now than when it was half its current size? Also, keep in mind, Ketch has charged the same rate for over 11 years. You could get rid of a lot of people by raising rates to where they probably should be $15/mo. But, the smaller your customer base, the more at risk you are.

One thing Warchant does that I like is they have a "Club Level" board that is for annual subscribers only (not month to month). It's very much the Alamo Drafthouse of boards. Much like Alamo Drafthouse has a zero tolerance policy for talking or cell phone usage during movies, they have ZERO tolerance on the Club Level for name calling, hate speech, etc. Fans of other teams are not allowed on it. Those that violate the strict policies of the board are banned from it permanently. They still can post on the Tribal Council board, which is their version of the 40 Acres. B/c of the stricter rules and admission requirements, it's a much smaller and more docile community. And, for the most part, everyone gets along well. It reminds me a lot of the early OB board. That might be a solution for guys like Hornbacker who prefer a different scene, but want to remain active posters.

I am interested in all of the opinions, negative and positive. It helps me to formulate my opinion.

But maybe I am a weird guy, I watch both MSNBC and Fox News. Both biased as hell, but that's how you get educated and learn a few things.

Hook em

Lots of entitlement and take my ball and go home mentalities in this thread

The "problem" on this board is not ANY of the members, pro- or anti- Mack/DeLoss.

It's the state of the program pure and simple.

The buck stops with the Head Coach.

And to a lesser degree the Athletics Director/BMDs/President/BOR.

That is just reality, there is no way around that.

I know what I signed up for. I'm committed to OB no matter what. Hell, all the crap is what keeps me coming back.

At times it's like two Rival "Special Needs" Street Gangs, attacking each other with Wiffle Bats...........

Not Really Funny but yet Really Fuking Funny!!!!!

Originally posted by = Iceman =:

Wow! Think about what you wrote and I don't mean this in anyway as a shot but you are suggesting there should be a higher paying or longer financial commitment for those that want "Zero tolerance for name calling, hate speech..." and no trolls from other teams. But those people who engage in that conduct can still post on the 40 acres equivalent. I think you put your finger on what the OP is saying is wrong here and I hope gives some pause.

I just wish the ones that dont have the skin to stick around would quit telling everybody they are going to leave and do it already. It's like they have one last plea to the board in hopes of getting begged to stay on. Well some of them do and they stick around and a couple days, weeks, or months later you have the same old crying thread again. It's a look at me, last resort to have their voice heard.

Leave already and quit jamming the board with your empty threats.

Originally posted by BurntOrangeBassAssassin:
Originally posted by VeryOldHorn:
Using the ignore function works for me. Cannot stand the negativity. I probably have 50 or so of the negative guys on my ignore list, and add to it daily.
Test
prank-results-in-mighty-slap.gif

Agree totally with OP, plus another that said about 30-50 posters are ruining this site...and those regulars are much bigger problem than any trolls.

It is impossible to avoid, because any thread or topic, no matter the football topic turns into a sad miserable fest....

I left Inside Texas pre internet because of the negativity, of course in that case it was because of the editor, I really appreciate the staff here, but even their threads get hijacked.

Not sure of my future plans, but will hang on, until I just can't take it anymore....

Originally posted by houstonearler:

Originally posted by BurntOrangeBassAssassin:
Originally posted by VeryOldHorn:
Using the ignore function works for me. Cannot stand the negativity. I probably have 50 or so of the negative guys on my ignore list, and add to it daily.
Test
laugh.r191677.gif

Top 10 gif of all times

I agree with OP. too many posters on here just to start posting fights with people. Use to be on every day , now about once per week. And have thought of multiple times of canceling my sub. But luckily there are a few good posters that have good insight and it makes it worth keeping. Big change over the 5+ years.

Originally posted by NOT TEXAS GOOD
I just wish the ones that dont have the skin to stick around would quit telling everybody they are going to leave and do it already. It's like they have one last plea to the board in hopes of getting begged to stay on. Well some of them do and they stick around and a couple days, weeks, or months later you have the same old crying thread again. It's a look at me, last resort to have their voice heard.

Leave already and quit jamming the board with your empty threats.

It's pretty sad.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

I think what this board needs is another ginger kid/cheetos style adventure that really brings everyone together.

Originally posted by Suchomel:

Originally posted by IMFletch:
I don't think the expectation of allowing dissenting opinions while mandating civil behavior is an unreasonable one.
I'd like to think that's the case, but when you have more than 13,000 people it's hard to get everyone on board with this way of thinking.
I know it is a business but at what point do you sell your soul for the dollar? I guess what I am asking is the quantity more important that quality? From Ketch's pocket book maybe so but I can tell you from the site itself, its not. The site has a whole has diminished in total value to me over the years. I think this reflects more on the members themselves than the moderators but it is still an issue. I guess my problem is I am looking at it as an experience and Ketch sees membership numbers ie $. I know he has said before that he has more new members during bad years than good so he is probably okay with the way thing are going right now.

I still think the answer is tampons. My theory is that a lot of these miserable people just aren't feeling fresh. I hope Santa has pity on these poor souls this year and puts a box of Kotex in their Chrismas stockings. Midol, too. Might make the holidays more enjoyable for everyone on this board.

Originally posted by jdunlop:
I think what this board needs is another ginger kid/cheetos style adventure that really brings everyone together.
ok, give me some topics and I will come up with a story. Some will not read this thread and it will become great.

Go....

ok, give me some topics and I will come up with a story. Some will not read this thread and it will become great.

Go....

Go....

For those posters that wish that the OB was the same when it started. Mack was winning and the future was bright then.

I belong to three other Longhorn sites and the tone is the same as the OB. Fans are upset and expressing their opinions.

Go to a LSU site. They are competing for MNCs yet their fans bag on Les Miles.

Every other sports forum is like this especially when your team is not winning to their historical standards.

Mods are part of the problem. They keep reporting the facts and the facts are negative news lately.

Agree that there shouldn't be personal attacks just difference of opinion.

Agree that there shouldn't be any flame threads about Mack like Mack is stealing money. Most agree he needs to retire.

How about before I pay for extra for anything extra we work on updating the software.......................

Please get a real software then we can talk extra money to avoid jackasses.

Originally posted by NOT TEXAS GOOD:
ummmm.......did anyone notice this on the OP's fan page?

Am I the only one that thinks this is creepy?

1/16 3:22 AM[/B]
Taylor, I've watched you a number of times of TV and I believe you have the right idea with your cleavage. Every person has to have a hook or they're soon forgotten. Use it or lose it. However, you get on camera and cover it up with your beautiful hair. You set your hook up, then cover it up. That hook is what made Dolly Parton and others famous. Others in your profession use that same method to their advantage. Erin comes to mind. Do not hesitate to do so or you will lose out on opportunities. It's still a man's world out there and they will say, well, Taylor is not afraid to get in front of the camera with her boobs showing so she's got the balls to get a job done. Pardon the pun! TAke it from someone who listened to men in boardrooms who made decisions based on that. If a woman was not afraid to talk and not afraid to use her female assets, that's what the bigwigs look for. Trust me. I heard it all the time. I know it sounds bad but Erin and all the others have done whatever it took to get to wherever they are; don't think for a moment they haven't. A woman in a man's world still has to do whatever she has to do. It sounds bad and you and Erin and everyone else can deny whatever anyone says you did but if you turn someone down you've turned down your opportunity. By the way, I have no dog in this fight. I'm retired. I just think highy of you and want you to succeed. Anyone who tells you I'm feeding you a line of bullshit is feeding you a line of bullshit. You be sweet as you are and don't sweat the other things. In the long run they fade away. Don't get mad at me for telling you this. I only mean good for you.
tumblr_ljvv9iu7yr1qj0zk3o1_500.gif

Originally posted by TaylorTV:

Taylor, I've watched you a number of times of TV and I believe you have the right idea with your cleavage. Every person has to have a hook or they're soon forgotten. Use it or lose it. However, you get on camera and cover it up with your beautiful hair. You set your hook up, then cover it up. That hook is what made Dolly Parton and others famous. Others in your profession use that same method to their advantage. Erin comes to mind. Do not hesitate to do so or you will lose out on opportunities. It's still a man's world out there and they will say, well, Taylor is not afraid to get in front of the camera with her boobs showing so she's got the balls to get a job done. Pardon the pun! TAke it from someone who listened to men in boardrooms who made decisions based on that. If a woman was not afraid to talk and not afraid to use her female assets, that's what the bigwigs look for. Trust me. I heard it all the time. I know it sounds bad but Erin and all the others have done whatever it took to get to wherever they are; don't think for a moment they haven't. A woman in a man's world still has to do whatever she has to do. It sounds bad and you and Erin and everyone else can deny whatever anyone says you did but if you turn someone down you've turned down your opportunity. By the way, I have no dog in this fight. I'm retired. I just think highy of you and want you to succeed. Anyone who tells you I'm feeding you a line of bullshit is feeding you a line of bullshit. You be sweet as you are and don't sweat the other things. In the long run they fade away. Don't get mad at me for telling you this. I only mean good for you.
roll.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Hook'm RD:

Wow! Think about what you wrote and I don't mean this in anyway as a shot but you are suggesting there should be a higher paying or longer financial commitment for those that want "Zero tolerance for name calling, hate speech..." and no trolls from other teams. But those people who engage in that conduct can still post on the 40 acres equivalent. I think you put your finger on what the OP is saying is wrong here and I hope gives some pause.
No, that's not what I'm "suggesting". The reality is Orangebloods is a business first and foremost. The message board is an offshoot if their original mission...........to produce original content and an inside and more detailed look at the Texas program. Less than 10% of OB subscribers post even 50 times a year. Think about that for a second. I have no idea what Ketch's goals are mindset are with regards to the board. So, I'm not going to pretend to be him. However, "moderating" and policing the board is not a money making endeavor. Every single person that works for Orangebloods has a job, and none of those jobs is to read hundreds of threads a day and moderate/discipline accordingly. Do posters want Chip, Such, Ketch, Dustin, and Taylor to write articles, travel to interview & watch recruits, shoot videos, and work inside contacts or play board police?

Continuing my second sentence, the more heavy-handed a board is, the fewer subscribers. If Ketch ran the board as tight as people want, first, he'd have to hire someone to oversee just the board, and two, he'd run off a good chunk of members who prefer a looser, more relaxed board. Tight moderation is what led to the downfall of Horn Fans. It was run exactly as many have asked OB to be run. That board was FREE and it still lost 80-90% of its traffic over the years due to the more stringent moderation and enforcement of rules.

There's a healthy balance to everything. There are posters and lurkers that WANT a board with "this is happening now" threads, heated debates, tit pics, etc. Then, there are those posters who want a more docile board that is free from arguing, sophomoric humor, coach bashing, and the 500 in-game melt down threads that happen every Saturday during football season. Neither preference is right or wrong. So then, why not have two main boards, each with their own moderating style? The reason for the "annual sub" required to post in the more docile board is simply b/c as they learned on Warchant, doing so prevents 99% of trolls from getting on the board.

As for fans of other schools posting in the 40, I have zero problem with it if people are honest about their fandom and respectful. Being a fan of another school does not make you a troll. And, I never came even remotely close to suggesting trolls were ok on the 40. They absolutely are not. I've likely banned 50% of the trolls busted on this board this year (if not more). So, I have no tolerance. However, I'm an active member of Warchant. They all know I'm a Texas grad, but 99% of them accept me in the community. There are plenty though who come over to flame and are immediately banned from the entire site.

Originally posted by TaylorTV:

roll.r191677.gif

Well, we have officially become aggy and this board reads like TexAgs! Pretty soon all the pumpers will start calling all those who point out reality, which just happens to be a negative, 2%ers and not real Longhorns.

Adios to all of you 98%ers who move on to find your burnt orange Shangrila where nothing negative exists. We will not miss you!

Hook'em
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Originally posted by MR. COSELL:
OP, please put OT in front of ur post. I'm tired of these garbage posts that do not
pertain to anything but their personal problems.
Cosell,

I won't say what I would like to because I do not want to be banned. I will say this though, there are so many internet badasses like yourself who think the sun rises and sets on your word, little gods, so to speak, that if I were the man I used to be, would love to get to meet you for just 5 minutes or so. Your opinion is just that, your opinion, as his opinion is his opinion. He is in his own way venting the frustration of the agenda you seem to push so hard and in your own hypocritical way, you back door insult him.

It is just a verbal way of throwing anyone who disagrees with your view under the bus. Very weak and typical internet badass.

This whole divisive environment that seems to be orchestrated by who knows is turning this place into a place that is not worth visiting as much anymore.

It's really sad to see the devolution of this site.

Originally posted by Salty Mule:

Please get a real software then we can talk extra money to avoid jackasses.
Huh?!? Where did I say anything about "extra money"??? Correct me if I'm wrong, but an annual subscription is CHEAPER than a month-to-month sub, right?
wink.r191677.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT