ADVERTISEMENT

Sterlin Gilbert i$ now a horn!

JMISASANO

May 4, 2012
Book it!

All you had to do was pay the guy in the first place to save this public embarrassment.

Even though he's a Co-OC at Tulsa, he understands that Texas has been through now 3 OCs in 3 years.

Why take such a major risk without getting paid to offset the possibility of Strong being released at the end of next season?

High risk environments command major compensation packages even for newbie OCs.

Last edited:
Sooooo was I anywhere near the numbers that I was being fed via text? 9 hundy k and he gets to bring his boy for 5 hundy k?

Sooooo was I anywhere near the numbers that I was being fed via text? 9 hundy k and he gets to bring his boy for 5 hundy k?

I hope you understand the MAJOR RISK a new OC is taking by coming to Austin. He should demand his terms even if he's only a co-OC at Tulsa. He doesn't have a pedigree to guarantee anything, if the defense continues as is and Texas goes south again.

This will allow him to hedge any possible bad case scenario.

I wonder what this would have looked like before the internet, the ridiculous online media buzz that goes with anything like this, and the fan-demanded instant gratification that we have now. I mean, on one hand my thought is that we would have started the week knowing we were looking for a coordinator... and ended the week knowing we got Gilbert and none of the in-between freaking out. But I will say that, who knows, maybe without all the internet rumors it would have been easier for ALL the candidates to say yes without all the inside info about each other's deals and who's rumored to be wanting to hire who else. Or, on the other hand, if not for the push-back that was coming after Gilbert seemed to turn down the initial deal, maybe they would have moved on?

But this has been a shit show... and we've all been part of it. Glad that it sounds... *knock on wood* like it's over and we have our guy.

Book it!

All you had to do was pay the guy in the first place to save this public embarrassment.

Even though he's a Co-OC at Tulsa, he understands that Texas has been through now 3 OCs in 3 years.

Why take such a major risk without getting paid to offset the possibility of Strong being released at the end of next season?

High risk environments command major compensation packages even for newbie OCs.

Don't you mean four OCs?

aggy has their own sh*t show to worry about without talking down ours. Whichever of us comes out worse is as yet undetermined. It is like aggy and we are locked in a race of incompetence versus ineptitude.

now kindly STFU and GTFO

Sorry if this is way off, but correct me if I'm wrong: people are saying that the deal almost fell through because of some stinginess and hesitation on extending a 3 year deal. If a 3 year deal has now been extended (I'll need to see the ink before I'm convinced), could that affect how these same people view matters next year? For instance, if Strong does well, but slightly below the bar set for him, would money matters tip the scales in favor of keeping him? Obviously, if he exceeds this bar then there will be a big sigh of relief, but it'd be interesting to see how this hiccup influences things next year.

I hope you understand the MAJOR RISK a new OC is taking by coming to Austin. He should demand his terms even if he's only a co-OC at Tulsa. He doesn't have a pedigree to guarantee anything, if the defense continues as is and Texas goes south again.

This will allow him to hedge any possible bad case scenario.

Lincoln Riley didn't have a "pedigree"either dunce.

And that Texas defense you speak of did just fine on October 10th

Reactions: Hunger Buster Combo
this is what a guy named hiphippopotomus wrote on Shaggy:

odified a post I made earlier:

Sterlin Gilbert was brought in as a GA by Mike Spradlin when he was on staff at UH and Art Briles was HC. Thats when Gilbert learned the 'Briles Offense'.

When Mike Spradlin left UH to become HC at Abilene Cooper he brought Gilbert with him to install and run the Briles offense and coach QB's.

Gilbert left Abilene Cooper to become HC at a couple of different HS's - installing the Brile offense at each stop.

When Dino Babers left Baylor (he was WR coach) and asked Briles/Montgomery who he should look for to install run his offense they recommeded Gilbert. Babers hired Gilbert to coach QB's and to install and run the Briles offense at FCS school EIU.

When Babers left EIU to become Head Coach at Bowling Green he brought Gilbert with him to install and run the offense.

When long time Briles assistant and OC Phil Montgomery finally left Baylor to take the Head Coach position at Tulsa he hired away Gilbert to install and help run the offense.

A few years ago when Montgomery was asked who should take over the Baylor offense if he was ever 'hit by a car' he said 'Sterlin Gilbert, that guys a stud'.

Gilbert has been a part of three 'installations' of the Briles offense at the college level in the last 5 years, and was hired by three of Briles formerassistants.

Honestly - if not for nepotism, I half-expect that Gilbert would be the one running Baylor's offense right now.

Ian Boyd has a great article on the X's & O's of what we can expect to see.

http://insidetexas.com/inside-the-ga...omes-to-texas/

Everyone bitches about the lost opportunity of not hiring Lincoln Riley when Strong first started filling out his staff. Gilbert is Lincoln Riley three years ago. He's a rising star that you take a shot on - and if he hits you've got something incredible.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT