ADVERTISEMENT

Vegas has ND -10 over UT at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duo

Jul 23, 2006
So how about this year? Do you think UT has a chance? Thoughts, comments, observations, questions?

Gotta know who the starting QB is before taking the points.

I wouldn't put money on us to win. It's either going to be a true freshman QB in his very first start, or a horrible veteran QB. Either way the offense won't be there.

The starting QB is SB........... Bank on it.

Agree. The coaches are already on record as saying if your even youth gets the tie breaker. You could argue that Shane has already pulled ahead now, if not he will before game 1.

I don't see that as a big spread. The game was 35 points last year with ND QB making first career start & Texas is starting a true freshman on national TV in the first game of the year agsinst a veteran QB. I don't think ND will win by 35 again, but I can see why the spread is 10.

I'm calling 30-17.

There are a lot of ?'s in this game:
  • What does Texas get from it's QB position?
  • Can Texas get much of anything from the QB position?
  • How will Texas's new offense look during Week 1?
  • Who actually starts at QB for ND?
  • Does ND's QB battle end up hurting them?
  • Can Texas's DL stop the run?
  • Can ND's D-Front replace Jaylon Smith and Sheldon Day?
  • Will ND's OL be as strong without Ronnie Stanley and Nick Martin?
  • How will Texas's Special Teams turnout?
  • Which team comes into the game confident?
Until we have more of these questions answered, it's sooooo hard to put a decent handicap on these games.

At this point, Vegas is just responding to what people remember from last year

Reactions: hookem3434
* what will the temperature be at kickoff?
* what will the temperature be at halftime?
* what will the Temperature be at the end of the 3rd quarter?

aww hell Decker....I am just messing with you.

* what will the temperature be at kickoff?
* what will the temperature be at halftime?
* what will the Temperature be at the end of the 3rd quarter?

aww hell Decker....I am just messing with you.

Statistically speaking, probably somewhere in the 80's

Similar to the temperature in Indiana during summer days, more often than not

Just saying...

Statistically speaking, probably somewhere in the 80's

Similar to the temperature in Indiana during summer days, more often than not

Just saying...
It should be in the 90's and falling, hence the reason a 2:00 game would have been better. Texas weather is unpredictable. It could be 58.

It should be in the 90's and falling, hence the reason a 2:00 game would have been better. Texas weather is unpredictable. It could be 58.

58 would take an all time freak storm. But Dicker needs to look at hour by hours temps and not night time lows. Then add 15-20 degrees for the concrete bowl that is DKR with field turf.

Reactions: TexExSpur
I promise without hesitation that the temp will be in the 80;s at 10 PM

Unless two teams are equal & one is just not used to any heat it really doesn't matter.

It takes probably 3 quarters to wear a team down, but if that team is dominating the game it doesn't matter.

ND played at FSU two years ago in 90 degree, 100% humidity, heat & they had no problems. It's not like ND's kids are from Siberia.

Unless two teams are equal & one is just not used to any heat it really doesn't matter.

It takes probably 3 quarters to wear a team down, but if that team is dominating the game it doesn't matter.

ND played at FSU two years ago in 90 degree, 100% humidity, heat & they had no problems. It's not like ND's kids are from Siberia.

The 2014 ND FSU game was 10/18/2014. If you go back and look at the weather underground site it was 82 at kickoff and 69 degrees by 9:00 pm. If its a hot sunny day it will be over 90 on the turf at 9PM at DKR

https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KTLH/2014/10/18/DailyHistory.html

By the way if the game was in Austin last year it would have been 92 at kickoff 86 at 9 pm and 82 at 11 PM which means it would have been around 100 on the field for most of the game.

https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KATT/2015/9/5/DailyHistory.html

after nearly 20 years of involvement with football in the San Antonio and Austin areas I can assure you that this isn't uncommon for this time of year. If its one of those times when there is a low parked over Texas with some SE winds then it will be god awful. If there is a high pressure system with some NW winds and partly cloudy it won't be too bad.

I've said this befor and I'll say it again:

1. Heat is very unlikely to be a significant factor in this game. If you look at actual statistical data (that I've posted) instead of anecdotal stories, the weather during our night game should be that different (statistically) that peak afternoon weather in Indiana.

2. Higher temps actually is probably an advantage for ND, not Texas. High temps test gems depth, especially with the bigger bodies along the LOS. When you compare the depth along the OL and DL it's a MAJOR advantage towards ND. While ND has OL and DL in the 2nd string who all have playing experience and starting size/talent, Texas is still working to rebuild the lines and has a large number of Frosh and sub-par players in the 2-Deep

Again, heat likely won't have a significant affect on this game (as the temps just aren't high enough at night to have that impact...typically) but if it does have an impact on the game...it's more likely to help ND than to hurt ND

Why do people post the vegas odds? It has nothing to do with who they think will win but rather how the betting is going.

My guess is the numbers were getting a lot of play one way and this shift was a way of balancing the books so to speak.

Nothing has happened or changed recently to make the odds makers adjust numbers other than how the betting is going.

Reactions: Bwilk55
No offense to decker but we live in Texas and we know mother nature is always on its rag here. We know our weather very well and can give you good in site instead of getting you bullshit from a source online. Just like west texas the weather out there is dry and if you aren't use to blow dryer heat you won't survive but in Austin it gets very humid and muggy as soon as you walk outside you start sweating. Just listen to us. Here in Texas we have 5 different climates in our state alone. Do some more research before you just look at one site. Don't be shocked if something wild happens. Hope for a good game!

Hook 'Em

We know our weather very well and can give you good in site instead of getting you bullshit from a source online.

I agree to some extent, but comparing with the numbers (temp, dew point, wind, etc.) is probably more reliable than memory. Especially since we have this mystic about "Texas weather" and how it'll punch everyone in the face and weather in every other city is weak. I find myself thinking this pretty often.

If it was a 2 pm kickoff, then I'd say the weather really benefits Texas. But as Decker said, evenings in Austin aren't so much worse than midafternoon in South Bend, and with more depth than us, the weather may hurt more than help.

As someone who has played and coached in college games in the south and in the north during the month of September I can say this- Yes it gets hot up North during the day, afternoon kickoff games are just as hot as some in the south. Played/Coached in games at Washington State, Oregon, Wisconsin, and Ohio. But not once did we have someone have to get an IV of fluids. We had summer camps and two-a-days in Texas to get acclimated to the heat and during our first home game every year we were sending multiple people to the locker room to get IV's and at half time everyone is getting electrolytes shoved down their throats to try and prevent cramps during the second half. 100% of time no matter how much we did to prepare or prevent cramps, I'd say we had 2-3 players cramp up to the point of no return during the second half of our first home game. It happens all the time, and most of the time as fans or parents in the stands you never hear about it.

Moral of the story, will weather be a factor? Yes. Will it decide the outcome of the game? I doubt it.

ND fans will detail the sh*t out of you why they will always win.

I'm from Indiana, played in 90 degree heat during two-a-days in August & games early September. After a year of college ball I joined the military & trained in Texas in one of the most grueling programs on the planet (BMT into Indoc into Pipeline) from May until September. Then was stationed in the gulf region of Florida. I can tell you for a fact that the heat & humidity in Florida has a much larger effect than the heat did in Texas. I've spent time overseas, in the American Southwest, at numerous deserts & jungle type terrains, Arctic locations from Alaska to Greenland. The last place I would ever think about the weather would be Texas. I just ran the Irving Marathon in April down in Texas after training for it in Indiana, 20 degree difference & I somehow am still alive?

It's a football game played by extremely healthy 18-22 year olds, who spent all of August practicing in 90 degree heat, properly hydrated with medical staff. I've never heard of so much nonsense being spewed out over the heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT