ADVERTISEMENT

What happens (to the LHN) if OU (David Boren) insists on a B12 network (or else)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

12375CAT

Feb 15, 2012
1eddc11e-1c62-4e75-b831-a7ac3e919bd7_zpsc22350bd.jpg

Big12 network is not happening. Texas won't allow it, why should they. OU may move on to the SEC and kill the BIG12 all together, but I can not imagine Texas playing in this pitiful conference with no LHN.
Texas can go to any conference they want, but only one would allow the LHN. Why hang around if the best reason to stay went away.

BTW, why the hell would Boren tell Texas Big 12 network or we are leaving? Last I checked, Oklahoma has a pretty good little thing going with their own cable network. They don't get what Texas gets, but for Oklahoma they are doing well.

The fact is that a Big 12 network would be a bigger disaster than the Pac 12 network, and so far that has been a total flop. Instead of 15 million for Texas we would get about 5 to 8 million and for that we would be better off in the Pac 12 or B1G.

My take on this is if Oklahoma wants to take their ball and run off to the SEC, I say go for it. I'd just as soon see Texas in the ACC or B1G.

If he has the balls and or clout, he'll pull the trigger and the cards will fall where they fall.

Last I checked a GOR is in place, OU being one of the schools that insisted on it. Any such threat is empty.

BTW, why the hell would Boren tell Texas Big 12 network or we are leaving? Last I checked, Oklahoma has a pretty good little thing going with their own cable network. They don't get what Texas gets, but for Oklahoma they are doing well.

The fact is that a Big 12 network would be a bigger disaster than the Pac 12 network, and so far that has been a total flop. Instead of 15 million for Texas we would get about 5 to 8 million and for that we would be better off in the Pac 12 or B1G.

My take on this is if Oklahoma wants to take their ball and run off to the SEC, I say go for it. I'd just as soon see Texas in the ACC or B1G.

I don't think OU wants to run to the SEC. I think OU wants to stir the pot to see if Texas can be nudged into folding the LHN into a Big 12 network. As Texas almost certainly will not agree to that, OU either will move on or entertain the SEC. And make no mistake about it - the SEC wants OU very badly.

Texas staying in the Big 12 without OU would be rathr like ND staying in the BE after its last loss of top sports schools. It would drag down the entire athletics department over time. OU knows that, which is the reason it is going to make its play. The catch for OU is that to bluff without being 100% ready to follow up is to lose almost all the time. The catch for Texas is that to say no to OU without being prepared to jettison the Big 12 for the right move is to mean give OU the advantage.

The best move Texas could make is to the ACC - as a 5/8ths member in football like Notre Dame. That would mean that the LHN would be able to show all Texas Home football games live, except the ones vs. ACC teams - ESPN would demand those for ESPN or ESPN2.

OU football would be just another power in the SEC (or maybe the southernmost fish out of water in the BT). Texas woud join ND as being the most unique in the nation. Texas football would become 'national' in a way it never has before.

5 ACC games per year rotating among all full flootball members means Texas would play each of the 14 at least once every 3 years - at least twice every 6 years - once at Home and once on the Road. That rotating schedual provides great vatiety in every sense, covering all of Eastern Time, from Boston to Miami and westward to the Ohio River halfway past IN. Texas almost certainly would expand the series vs. ND.

All those ACC games would mean that Texas would have 0 need to ever again schedule a BT team or a southeastern SEC team. All needs for recruiting and reaching out to alums in the entire eastern seaboard westward to cover most of the southeast and midwest would be met. Texas football would command an eastern time presence - and it would do so with constant variety.

To look at the same idea the opposite way - I would never be happy with UNC football playing any schools in the Big 12 annually but Texas and OU. But playing Baylor and TCU and TTU and maybe KU and K-St once each every 3 years would interesting. If playing those team that way gave us a larger time zone and better acces to dominant basketball and non-revenue sports, as well as better academic peers by league, I would want UNC to make that move.

Because of the relationship of cooperation between the ACC and SEC, Texas as 5/8ths member of ACC football would be playing A&M again on Thanksgiving. And both leagues would make certain that the Red River game would continue during the state fair.

Texas football would be able to rotate games with Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, SMU, Houston, UTEP, UTSA, UNT. And that would be all that Texas fans living in TX could ever need.

Texas basketball would gain immeasurably. Texas baseball would move in terms of both conference quality and number of fans who watch the sport. texas women's sports would step up in the biggest way.

The Univesity of Texas would gop from being peers with the Big 12, which now is lesser academically than the SEC, to being peers with 3 of the originally designated Public Ivys (UNC, UVA, Pitt), GT (which along with UNC, UVA, and Texas is 1 of the 4 most Elite state schools in the South), and a host of Elite private schools: Dook, Notre Dame, BC, Wake Forest, Miami, Syracuse.

All things considered, Texas will gain a good deal by making that move.

Reactions: clob94
If OU leaves the Big 12 is dead period. Plus no one will probably take UT unless they give up the LHN. I don't see the ACC, Pac 12 or Big 10 taking UT with the LHN

If OU leaves the Big 12 is dead period. Plus no one will probably take UT unless they give up the LHN. I don't see the ACC, Pac 12 or Big 10 taking UT with the LHN
I'm still waiting for someone to explain how OU is going to join another conference with the GOR. The only scenario that allows them to move anywhere is the big 12 dissolving BEFORE they make a move. How is that going to happen? Saber rattling scares all the othe programs into jumping at once?

So Texas to ACC or PAC.
OU to SEC.
Kansas to Big10. Maybe I am overvaluing Kansas.

What happens to the lesser schools?
Baylor, Tech, TCU, Kansas State, Iowa State, Okie St & WVU. I could see them adding Houston, maybe a Florida directional school or two, and trying to form a mid major.

I am starting to think the BIG12 collapse is more a question of when than if.

its not going to blow up anytime soon, but it's something to squabble over in the offseason I suppose.

The best move Texas could make is to the ACC - as a 5/8ths member in football like Notre Dame. That would mean that the LHN would be able to show all Texas Home football games live, except the ones vs. ACC teams - ESPN would demand those for ESPN or ESPN2.

OU football would be just another power in the SEC (or maybe the southernmost fish out of water in the BT). Texas woud join ND as being the most unique in the nation. Texas football would become 'national' in a way it never has before.
This option does have some appeal and will likely be considered when the time comes.

Hook 'em

If OU leaves the Big 12 is dead period.
OU already tried that on their own and the Pac said no thanks. And that was before the granting of tv rights. OU has no power to do such a thing. Boren just needs to shut up and keep collecting those fat paychecks and fondling his male interns.

Reactions: HornDrummer
OU already tried that on their own and the Pac said no thanks. And that was before the granting of tv rights. OU has no power to do such a thing. Boren just needs to shut up and keep collecting those fat paychecks and fondling his male interns.
Has Boren actually said anything new since a few weeks ago? Or is this just old hash being brought up for no other reason than there's nothing else to talk about right now?

If it's Option B, ya'll please continue. I never want to stand in the way of a silly argument since OU isn't leaving the Big Twelve any time soon.

If it's Option A, Boren never said, implied, or stated in anyway that OU was going to try to leave the Big Twelve. Or that he was going to try to make that happen. This is pot stirring by the OP, plain and simple.

Reactions: oldhorn2
Are you insuating something about Boren that today is not be snickered at?

Not sure that trips to Pitt, Wake Forest and Boston College are going to excite recruits from Texas. The SEC makes a great deal more sense for Texas than the ACC.

No way those trips could be half as exciting as trips to Ames and Lawrence. Certainly there is no better time than can be had in Starkeville.

This is not 1960 or even 1990. I would bet that college recruits from TX who play at Texas would be more than OK making occasional trips to the Steelers stadium and the refurbished Dolphins stadium, more so than going to Ames every other year. I would guess that TX players at Texas would love to see some of the world outside the Plains. To play at the original Death Valley and at Bobby Dodd Stadium at Grant Field. To play in Lane Stadium. At Kenan Stadium, which Keith Jackson called one of the prettiest venues in the country. At Mr. Jefferson's University.

Why on earth would any university official want his school's football team bus past Monticello when it can experience the cultural and athletic high life in l,coales like Stillwater and Lubbock and Manhatten (the Little Apple)?

Are you insuating something about Boren that today is not be snickered at?
Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against that fat queen except he started this stupid conversation about adding teams again for no good reason since he can't do anything about it anyway.

Okay, so lets look at each conference and Texas would play and rank them by prestige.

SEC
1. Alabama
2. Florida
3. LSU
4. Auburn
5. Georgia

B1G
1. Ohio State
2. Michigan
3. Penn State
4. Nebraska

ACC
1. FSU
2. Miami
3. Clemson
4. V-Tech

PAC
1. USC
2. Oregon
3. UCLA
4. Stanford

Near as i can tell, the conference that gets Texas (outside the SEC) will pass the SEC as the most dominate conference in college football.

Has Boren actually said anything new since a few weeks ago?
No. He just started this conversation that's still going on. A stupid conversation. A conversation about something that's not going to happen that has people riled up. So it's still worth repeating he should shut his cake hole.

That said, your man Frazier put on a cool show tonight.

Playing Bama in Bryant-Denny, Auburn at Jordan-Hare Georgia between the hedges or LSU at Tiger Stadium trumps anything in the ACC except Florida State and it's not even close.

Maybe, but it is offset by having to visit Arkansas, collieville, Missouri and any place in Mississippi.

You would pick those places before picking going to Miami? Why? The U might not be what they once were, but it's Miami. UNC, Duke and Virginia are some of the best places to visit for an opposing fan. So much better than any place in any SEC venue. The game itself might not be Epic as playing top teams in the SEC but you don't have to endure all the shitty fans (Yes, I'm looking at you Arkansas and aggsy) either.

Playing Bama in Bryant-Denny, Auburn at Jordan-Hare Georgia between the hedges or LSU at Tiger Stadium trumps anything in the ACC except Florida State and it's not even close.
FSU would be good stuff, ND would be bigger on a national stage, Clemson would be fun and they have a great fan base. Miami may not be what they once were, but it would be huge for recruiting. There is lots of good and plenty of Meh with either conference affiliation when they get bigger than they are now....

Scholz, I am not following you on the intern story. You and the mods would shit a brick if any of us intimated what you are saying about the Texas Pres.. Fact or just your typical B.S.?

Scholz, I am not following you on the intern story. You and the mods would shit a brick if any of us intimated what you are saying about the Texas Pres.. Fact or just your typical B.S.?

Basically, he gets off on insulting anything related to OU. Sometimes, that means insinuating the OU pres is a closet gay.

Not that it matters to me but Boren is a closet homosexual. With 2 years left on his 3rd term, Boren resigned from the U.S. Senate in 1994. In '93 the gays had begun to out him. In 1995, former Rhodes Scholar W. Scott Thompson, who knew Boren at Oxford, confirmed his gayness in the book The Price of Achievement. Boren is guilty of sexual harassment and of stuffing government payrolls with men who appeal to him. Fondling men is in Boren's nature. nttawwt.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against that fat queen except he started this stupid conversation about adding teams again for no good reason since he can't do anything about it anyway.
He may well have a reason. He may want to see the Big 12 in a new turmoil so that perhaps the Big Ten shows some interest in OU. Boren seems to see the southwest as virtually as backward as he sees the sooutheast. His politicla career showed he adores everything up north. I bet he would stop fondling male interms to get OU into the BT.

Maybe, but it is offset by having to visit Arkansas, collieville, Missouri and any place in Mississippi.

You would pick those places before picking going to Miami? Why? The U might not be what they once were, but it's Miami. UNC, Duke and Virginia are some of the best places to visit for an opposing fan. So much better than any place in any SEC venue. The game itself might not be Epic as playing top teams in the SEC but you don't have to endure all the shitty fans (Yes, I'm looking at you Arkansas and aggsy) either.
I willl take Arkansas fans any day over LSU fans or Tennesse fans or Florida fans or Auburn fans or Mississippi St fans or Georgia fans or South Carolina fans or Kentucky fans.

That is how insufferable SEC fandom is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT