ADVERTISEMENT

2016 can go

This could be a different hit-and-run, but it happened the same night. The latest news reports add more detail:
  • Dodge Ram 3500 pickup, possibly red
  • Could be a work truck with a welder in the back
  • Minor damage to right side
  • Side mirror may be missing or damaged
  • Accident occurred at 8:27pm on Monday, 12/26 (in the pitch dark)
  • Occurred on FM 2001 near Texas 21 (a Valero station) in Niederwald
  • DPS asks anyone with information to call Crime Stoppers at 512-472-TIPS.
The roads in Kyle are very dangerous for pedestrians. Very few roads have sidewalks or street lights. (The ones that do usually have both.) The grass is often overgrown, and would be difficult or even dangerous to walk through, especially in the dark.

I've been concerned about this -- and raising the issue with the city of Kyle -- ever since I moved here. When I drive at night, I'm constantly worrying about if there's a pedestrian around the next corner, or out of view of my sedan's lights. The typical pedestrian here tends to wear all dark clothes -- maybe a black hoodie, even -- and walk along the edge of the busy roads with his back to the traffic. When the moon is black, it gets pitch dark pretty early, and even going 35mph you have very little time to react. And the roads tend to have potholes to distract you, too, and maybe affect where you drive. (Of course, that should mean people drive slowly, but not all drivers do that. Some drivers may veer to the edge of the road to avoid a hole.)

If you have a teen who walks or bikes, esp. at night, please have a talk with them.

Thats the same truck. I actually talked with the witness to the accident, and the first ppl on scene,,,,, that description is perfect. DPS etc took a DMV list and went hunting on their own too...

Very sorry for you, LS, and pray that this driver is caught. I lost my oldest brother to a drunk driver who tried to run.

LS, you've been a staple on here for a long time. Even though I don't know you personally, I've known you long enough on these message boards that my heart hurts for you. I pray they catch that clown, I pray that you find peace of mind and mostly I pray for a healed heart for you and your family. I wish I had wiser words or more comforting words! Take care brother.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT