ADVERTISEMENT

2016 Season Running Thread

I'm telling ya'll.....Warren looks like he spent the summer at Venice Beach. He looks yoked as fvck.
Hey clob, I'm not sure how anonymous you intend to be but I'm curious what your connection is to the team. Former player? I appreciate the inside info.

Again, I wasn't writing down notes because that can be frowned upon.....if you catch my drift. And dealing all day long with numbers makes for a "was that guy number 56 or 58" jumble in your head. It weird because I can tell you the name and jersey number of any of my team mates when I was in school- but keeping track of all these kids now is taxing, at best.
Bright side is, and this is one of the reasons I don't like reporting all this stuff, we don't suck as bad as we did a year ago. No I don't like being the bearer of Luke warm news, that sucks a$$ to be that dude. But realize that people at rivals, or OB or any other service that covers the horns have a job to do: make money. If they came on their service and said "well fellas, bad news- the horns look like a .500 team this year" how many subscriptions get renewed? They sell you on "hope and possibility". Objectivity is rare-- and I don't have a financial dog in this fight- so telling you what I saw vs what THEY see and report, can differ. What I saw c was a team that still has a ways to go. Not as long as ways as last year, but any texas team from 2000-2009 would beat this squad-- a few of them would beat this squad by 40. Ya, it sucks to say that-- but ya'll asked for it......

I think a reality check is very reasonable. We have all seen it, fans always expect more out of new players with high potential than vets who have played previously and struggled. We are seeing the situation across the board on this team and I think it makes it easy to overestimate our chances this year. We are assuming all of our 4 and 5 star freshmen will be studs but need to realize that may take time. Same goes for our new offensive system. This year there will likely continue to be some growing pains. FWIW, I still think we will be improved, significantly, but it would serve us well to be cautiously optimistic.

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
Hey clob, I'm not sure how anonymous you intend to be but I'm curious what your connection is to the team. Former player? I appreciate the inside info.

He's a former Texas player under Mackovic (who clob regards as one of the warmest, kindest, and most generous people ever to stride the Forty Acres).

Reactions: CoachEmUp64
John mackovic-------- I just threw up in my mouth.

I had been pretty serious in my first few months of posting here but have since let my humorous side out. I of course know who Mackovic was, though I was only 9 during his last season at Texas so I didn't know much more than the name.

Based on clobs response, BBR was being quite sarcastic. A quick wikipedia search furthered that belief. He was ousted at Arizona after a player uprising. He is now coaching the Italian national football team. Sounds like he'd be a better match for the German national team if he is that gruff.

I had been pretty serious in my first few months of posting here but have since let my humorous side out. I of course know who Mackovic was, though I was only 9 during his last season at Texas so I didn't know much more than the name.

Based on clobs response, BBR was being quite sarcastic. A quick wikipedia search furthered that belief. He was ousted at Arizona after a player uprising. He is now coaching the Italian national football team. Sounds like he'd be a better match for the German national team if he is that gruff.
I am not even sure why he coaches football. My understanding is that he doesn't even like it that much. Sipping wine and golfing seems to be his forte (which isn't a bad thing).

DE-ish Erick Fowler will wear #41.

---

Per another poster

Chip on Fowler:

Erick Fowler is on campus and will be enrolling in classes next Wednesday. Fowler will not be allowed to wear pads in his first two practices and will be "worked in slowly." Pat Moorer will be measuring Fowler's conditioning in the early stages, and he'll be phased into workouts gradually.​

Reactions: jsto60
I am not even sure why he coaches football. My understanding is that he doesn't even like it that much. Sipping wine and golfing seems to be his forte (which isn't a bad thing).
AND fvcking his secretary behind his wife's back until she found out about it because their daughter (who had a disability) saw daddy acting inappropriately without his knowledge----and then he would come to our meetings and belittle us if we ever acted in any slightly irresponsible way.....(allegedly)----

But that's just another wonderful forte of coach mac......

AND fvcking his secretary behind his wife's back until she found out about it because their daughter (who had a disability) saw daddy acting inappropriately without his knowledge----and then he would come to our meetings and belittle us if we ever acted in any slightly irresponsible way.....(allegedly)----

Friday-daaaamn-300x199.png

I didn't hear that one. He had too many distractions. I hope I am not stepping on any toes (or maybe you can shed some light), but, I had always thought that promoting Bobby Jack Wright to DC was his downfall. Though it would be an eventual downfall, that promotion sure accelerated it.

Sounds like a peach. Glad I didn't start following Texas Football until 1998. Mack Brown and now Charlie Strong are both class acts

I didn't hear that one. He had too many distractions. I hope I am not stepping on any toes (or maybe you can shed some light), but, I had always thought that promoting Bobby Jack Wright to DC was his downfall. Though it would be an eventual downfall, that promotion sure accelerated it.
The first two blunders mackoprick made were firing Leon Fuller- arguably one of the most successful defensive coaches in program history. Coach fuller ran the 4-3 and Texas was known as a team that would stuff the run--- mackoprick wanted to run the newly popular 3-4 and let the linebackers do all the tackling. Rex Norris, undoubtedly one of the greatest dline coaches in football history, openly would object to that move- and after Leon Fuller was fired for "insubordination" (allegedly the quiet hub bub) Rex left right after. Then Gary Darnell was promoted to DC. That was a trainwreck. BJW was kept on board not because of his coaching, but because he was a South Texas BS artist that was a hell of a recruiter. With all the talent texas had on D, Darnell led texas to one of its worst defensive years ever. But we still made a bowl game. Then BJW took over in mackoprick's last year. Darnell went off to Eastern Michigan or some such-

It always amazed me how the big cigars fell for Mackovic's crap. I mean, I know how he got the job- he walked in there and talked about his days as a special teams coach for the Dallas Cowboys and how he modeled his coaching style after tom Landry. What longhorn wouldn't want to hear THAT! He wasn't even in the same league as Landry. What he failed to mention was that the KC Chiefs staged a sit in started by the KICKER to get Mack ousted. The fvcking KICKER! Next thing you know Mack is in Illinois with just as big of a prick playing QB for him named Jeff George. That guy was an a$$hole and he learned it from John Mackovic. Now George could sling it- he had a cannon, but the fact he was a super deushe didn't do him any favors in the league. When one of Texas favorite sons, David Mcwilliams couldn't get the job done, the big cigars decided to go in a different direction and that when Mackovic came calling.
Dude was just a pretentious prick. Beer was for neanderthals, wine was consumed by sophisticated folk. I've waited 20 years and 18 months worth of sommelier classes and 3 trips to France to say this to John- hey jacka$$, wine has 48 different ambient flavors, beer has over 425, who's refined now? I mean, who wears Porsche sunglasses indoors? You ain't a rapper-- you don't drive formula 1.

I could go on and on and on and on and on.

The first two blunders mackoprick made were firing Leon Fuller- arguably one of the most successful defensive coaches in program history. Coach fuller ran the 4-3 and Texas was known as a team that would stuff the run--- mackoprick wanted to run the newly popular 3-4 and let the linebackers do all the tackling. Rex Norris, undoubtedly one of the greatest dline coaches in football history, openly would object to that move- and after Leon Fuller was fired for "insubordination" (allegedly the quiet hub bub) Rex left right after. Then Gary Darnell was promoted to DC. That was a trainwreck. BJW was kept on board not because of his coaching, but because he was a South Texas BS artist that was a hell of a recruiter. With all the talent texas had on D, Darnell led texas to one of its worst defensive years ever. But we still made a bowl game. Then BJW took over in mackoprick's last year. Darnell went off to Eastern Michigan or some such-

It always amazed me how the big cigars fell for Mackovic's crap. I mean, I know how he got the job- he walked in there and talked about his days as a special teams coach for the Dallas Cowboys and how he modeled his coaching style after tom Landry. What longhorn wouldn't want to hear THAT! He wasn't even in the same league as Landry. What he failed to mention was that the KC Chiefs staged a sit in started by the KICKER to get Mack ousted. The fvcking KICKER! Next thing you know Mack is in Illinois with just as big of a prick playing QB for him named Jeff George. That guy was an a$$hole and he learned it from John Mackovic. Now George could sling it- he had a cannon, but the fact he was a super deushe didn't do him any favors in the league. When one of Texas favorite sons, David Mcwilliams couldn't get the job done, the big cigars decided to go in a different direction and that when Mackovic came calling.
Dude was just a pretentious prick. Beer was for neanderthals, wine was consumed by sophisticated folk. I've waited 20 years and 18 months worth of sommelier classes and 3 trips to France to say this to John- hey jacka$$, wine has 48 different ambient flavors, beer has over 425, who's refined now? I mean, who wears Porsche sunglasses indoors? You ain't a rapper-- you don't drive formula 1.

I could go on and on and on and on and on.
So you and Mackovic hang out on holidays is what you are saying? lol

Last edited:
Thanks for the inside info. You are right about Fuller. The guy knew his stuff. I was no fan of Darnell. He didn't do very well at ND, so I have no clue how mackovic chose him. Then BJW was a disaster and that dazed me so much, I was thinking maybe Darnell wasn't that bad.

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
Here are some updates that I’ve gathered:

Defensive Line

Omenihu and Cottrell are in a battle at SDE. Both will play. Omenihu is just young.

Naashon Hughes had a great offseason and it has translated into more confidence and physicality. Starting to let loose instead of second guess himself.

Poona Ford has had a solid camp. Last year, the Poonatrator struggled with nagging injuries and game plans meant to protect freshman LBs. He’s a different guy so far.

The freshmen DL are on a pitch count. Technique and strength erode after a few consecutive snaps. The freshmen that play the most will be the ones that can give 8-10 solid snaps in a row. Right now that’s Elliott-Wilbon-Christmas.

Linebacker

Wheeler has the best traditional linebacking skills in the unit. Terrific camp.

Demarco Boyd won’t can’t be redshirted.

Defensive Back

The coaches feel comfortable playing as many as nine or ten guys. No defense in the Big 12 can put out the quality numbers that Texas can in the secondary.

[BC]

Quarterback Battle: Everything coming out of closed practices through the spring and in the fall camp has been that Shane Buechele moves the ball well and rally’s the team around him. Going into fall camp we were given clear indications that the staff expected Buechele to eventually be named the starter. But based on what we’ve heard Swoopes has taken a step forward though I still contend, based on the opinion of various sources, that Buechele has out performed Swoopes in terms of his ability to keep the chains moving.

Coach Strong and the staff have made a decision on who their starter will be. I spoke to a couple sources last night about where things stand. And let’s just say that the incumbent proved harder to defeat than expected but if he doesn’t perform on the field then he won’t sit in the oval office for long.

Props to Anwar Richardson and Orangebloods for having the guts to even suggest this was a possibility early in the camp.

[TFB]

Reactions: jxnhorn
Quarterback Battle: Everything coming out of closed practices through the spring and in the fall camp has been that Shane Buechele moves the ball well and rally’s the team around him. Going into fall camp we were given clear indications that the staff expected Buechele to eventually be named the starter. But based on what we’ve heard Swoopes has taken a step forward though I still contend, based on the opinion of various sources, that Buechele has out performed Swoopes in terms of his ability to keep the chains moving.

Coach Strong and the staff have made a decision on who their starter will be. I spoke to a couple sources last night about where things stand. And let’s just say that the incumbent proved harder to defeat than expected but if he doesn’t perform on the field then he won’t sit in the oval office for long.

Props to Anwar Richardson and Orangebloods for having the guts to even suggest this was a possibility early in the camp.

[TFB]
If that's true Strong won't be here next year. The worst possible thing he could do is lose games with Swoopes, and don't drink any kool-aid on improved Swoopes. We've seen this act before. It will not end well.
I still hope that this is click bait. It's hard to believe that Strong could make the same mistake two years running. If Swoopes truly is the best QB option, we are in big trouble.

Last edited:
Reactions: Godz40Acrez
Finding a system that is better suited for him does not make him a good QB. He has a "good arm". I could find you 1000 college age guys who have just as good an an arm. He doesn't posses any other quality that makes a good QB. He can't read defenses. His release is too slow. He has no accuracy on his throws. He does not handle pressure well. He doesn't lead the team. He could not start at QB at any top level, or even mediocre, program.
If this report is true, we know exactly what we are going to see. An inconsistent offense that struggles to move the ball and puts a strain on our defense. Teams will load the box and force him to make completions to move the chain, and he won't be able to do it. Sorry to be a downer, but I don't need to see this play out again to know how it ends.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT