21 Immediate Thoughts from the Spring Game

Alex Dunlap

Any Updates on Desmond Harrison?
Staff
Jan 18, 2005
Travis Settlement, TX
SPONSORED BY MYPERFECTFRANCHISE.NET

Are you…

• Ready to leave the corporate Rat Race for the American Dream?
  • Looking for a side hustle while working your current job?
  • Wanting to diversify, build wealth, and/or leave a legacy?
Andy can help!!!

Andy is a franchise consultant (as well as franchise owner) and helps people find franchises that fit their skill sets, financial requirements, time to commit and more….

His services are 100% free and he’s here to help if you have any questions about business ownership.

image_from_ios.jpg

Learn more about Andy and franchise ownership through these resources:

Andy's Story
Why a Franchise
Service Based vs Brick and Mortar
Semi Absentee Ownership
The Process and How It works

Andy Luedecke
www.MyPerfectFranchise.Net
p: 404-973-9901
e: andy@myperfectfranchise.net
Book time with me at: Andy's Calendar

I'll have a good bit more to say after I do my work for the Spring Game Deep Dig, but here are a few immediate thoughts and reactions shooting from the hip from the Orange-White Game:

1. Vernon Broughton decided to get married on the weekend of the spring game?! You'd have thought he might have at least told his wife it can't be during football season or spring ball, but what do I know? Interesting to see Sydir Mitchell at nose tackle next to Alfred Collins in his absence.

2. Jayden Blue as the first RB out with the ones has to be somewhat telling.

3. Of course an Alfred Collins pick-6 was everyone's prediction for the first score of the scrimmage.

4. Transfer TE Amari Niblack has apparently worked his way into the first group as most expected he likely eventually would through spring after missing winter conditioning with an ankle injury. Good looking player.

5. Colton Vasek had a sack on Trey Owens that the officials didn't count but I'll remember it.

6. Sure looks like it's going to be hard to keep Ryan Wingo off the field.

7. Xavier Filsaime got burned by being way out of position on the Trey Owens TD pass to walk-on TE Thatcher Milton. Zina Umeozulu tried to take Trevor Goosby's helmet off his head on the same play.

8. It took Arch Manning one play to drop a deep ball into a wide open Deandre Moore for a 75-yard TD. Great play but the defense (looked like Terrence Brooks) is going to have hell to pay in the film room for the coverage.

9. Tre Wisner has a glide to his gait that is so smooth, he'd be a bad guy to overlook just because he's sort of sandwiched in between Baxter/Blue and the two freshmen.

10. Not to take anything away from Jaydon Blue or Arch Manning, but that TD looked like another instance of the defense being late to get in position with Morice Blackwell then the safety. I'll give it a closer look in the Deep Dig. Doesn't mean that Blue doesn't look awesome. If you were an alien that came down to earth just for the spring game with no knowledge of the team, you'd probably guess that Blue was the team's starting RB. He can win in a lot of ways and is so fast.

11. Ryan Wingo is the clear spark of the second offense, again, it's just a matter of time. What a nice ball from Trey Owens to hit him in stride for the long TD over Kobe Black.

12. Can you imagine a better first half for Arch Manning? 11-for-13 with two TDs and 190 yards (should have been 12-for -13 with 3 TDs and over 200 yards if not for Isaiah Bond not being able to haul in a ball that a scholarship player at Texas will catch 95% of the time), a nice showing with his legs to convert one third down and also got to lead a two-minute drill to finish the half with a field goal.

13. Colton Vasek with a nice move on Andre Cojoe for a TFL and then gets his second sack of the game on the very next snap, nice to see him popping off with some flashes. Man, the edge at Texas is stacked. Cojoe looks like a pretty big downgrade from Trevor Goosby at LT when they moved him over to allow for Brandon Baker to get some run at RT to start the second half.

14. Alex January might not be ready to be an SEC starter right off the bat, but Alex January versus walk-on O-linemen just isn't fair. Nice TFL for the big man.

15. Color me confused as to how Anthony Hill was still in the game halfway through the third quarter. He should have hit the bench around the same time as Kelvin Banks.

16. The play that Jelani McDonald has stood out most for through three quarters of football was an inexplicable failure to meet walk-on RB Ky Woods in the hole and make a play. Gosh, he's gonna wish he could have that play back. He did have a nice hit on Amari Niblack the following series after Niblack got free on a screen for the first down.

17. Kobe Black with his first interception at Texas, it wasn't a great pass, but it will likely be the first of many we see from him in burnt orange.

18. Colin Simmons got his first sack at Texas on a nice speed rush. Reminiscent of his high school film with his ability to bend the edge then strike. Like Black, I don't think it will be the last time we see it.

19. Freshmen TE Jordan Washington made some nice garbage-time moves, one great catch and run then a spectacular leaping contested ball. He'll certainly at least overtake Spencer Shannon and Will Randle if he keeps making plays like that in fall camp. Heck, he might already be ahead of them. Unfortunately, Jordan Johnson-Rubell slammed into his lower leg on the Austin Jordan PBU, at least he was able to leave the game under his own power.

20. Another Colton Vasek TFL. No one blocked him, but that's what you need to do when no one blocks you. Hard to make a list of standouts from the spring game that doesn't have No.92 near the top of the list. Very encouraging after what has seemed to be a quiet spring overall.

21. Another long-ball from Arch, this time to Isaiah Bond. His second 75-yarder of the day, and once Isaiah Bond got by Gavin Holmes, no one was going to catch him. Just terrific long speed. What a day for Arch Manning. You think we're going to be seeing any of these highlights on SportsCenter?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News