ADVERTISEMENT

4 big recruiting notes (Poona Ford, Otara Alaka, D Knox, Reggie Hemphill)

Suchomel

Staff
Aug 10, 2001
--- According to Cypress Falls head coach Kirk Eaton, UT LB commitment Otaro Alaka will not be visiting LSU this weekend after all. LSU picked up a linebacker commitment and called to inform coach Eaton that they were full at the position. As coach Ford put it, he thinks it was actually a relief for Alaka, who is struggling to pick between Texas and Texas A&M.

Charlie Strong will be at Cypress Falls first thing tomorrow morning. Kevin Sumlin will be at the school at about 11 a.m.

--- Per a source at Fort Worth All Saints, OL Demetrius Knox "should be" at Texas this weekend but two people we spoke with said things are still touch and go. Texas visited with Knox again yesterday (Joe Wickline visited last week and made a strong impression) and Knox is definitely giving consideration to Texas, as we mentioned last week.

Here's where things get dicey ... Knox is a former Longhorn commitment who switched his pledge to Ohio State. Ohio State is at the school right now we're told Urban Meyer is supposed to do an in-home visit tonight. Meyer, of course, is one of college football's best recruiters so we'll have to wait to see how this one plays out.

--- Per a source at Hilton Head High School, Texas defensive tackle target Poona Ford has in fact cancelled his South Carolina visit that was scheduled for this weekend. I asked if the visit to Missouri on January 31 was still on the schedule and the person I spoke with did not know at this time. Stay tuned on this one, because there's been some talk that Ford could commit to Texas this week and cancel the other visits.

--- Finally, I'm hearing some talk that Texas stopped by Manvel today to check on 2016 UT WR commitment Reggie Hemphill. I'm working to get this confirmed so don't consider this an official report yet, but I've heard that Texas may have indicated that they'd like to take a step back, slow things down and continue to evaluate Hemphill. I've got a few calls out on this one and will pass along more info when available.

4:30 pm update - Hemphill just confirmed to me via text that his coach told him Texas wants both sides to slow things down as the new staff gets better acquainted and does its own evaluations. Hemphill said he's not 100% clear on what his commitment status is at this point, so we're going to leave him on the commitment list until we hear differently.

This post was edited on 1/22 4:38 PM by Suchomel

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News