5 guys who have surprised this year and really stepped up

A-10HORN

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2007
Tucson
These are guys that I think have exceeded expectations so far this season.

1. Cam Williams- He’s my number one. If someone else is playing here the other team just lines up their best pass rusher and continually brings pressure from the right side. We have to help with TEs and Backs (see next year). But instead, Cam has not only stepped up but dominated. Guy is playing amazing and has locked down the right side freeing up Sark to use Gunner and other players in a more attacking role. This offense is different if we have a bad weakness at one of the Tackles and thanks to Cam we don’t.

2. Gunner Helm- Love JT (seems like we always have to drop that caveat) but Helm is just a complete player for us. Blocking or catching the football this guy has been solid and when everyone just assumed Niblack would come in and take the job Helm has held it down from day one. Great team leader as well. He’s been a huge part of the passing game for Quinn and I don’t see that changing.

3. Vernon Broughton- Everyone including me was very concerned about the DT position. I’m was pissed we didn’t bring in starter and all Broughton has done is make me eat crow every week. While he’s not been a dominant force like last year (can’t really replace that) he’s been more than serviceable and played above expectations in my mind. When we needed some guys to step up in the middle he’s done so and done his job. UGA will be a solid test for him and the DL

4. Colin Simmons- super blue I know but I was thinking we work him in a little bit here and there to rush the passer on third down. Thought he would be a liability in other situations. Turns out the guy plays the run pretty well too and uses his speed to his advantage to get around blockers instead of holding the point of attack. And then there’s the getting after the QB part.

5. Liona Lefau- My last one is still a bit of a projection but I was super impressed with this dude last year on special teams and he’s starting to see the field more now. He is (in my humble opinion) the most instinctual LB we have on the team. I think from here on out you see this kid explode and maybe challenge for leading tackler week to week.

Honorable mention
-J Guilbeau
-Arch Manning - He could be #1 (on the list I mean, not starting) but I don’t see him playing a lot going forward. Hell of an insurance policy though.
-Tre Wisner
- R Wingo
- D Gbenda
- J Davis

What does all this mean? Well for me I had us at 10-2 and we may still finish there but I thought we were a few pieces short of competing for it all. I don’t think that any more regardless of the UGA outcome.

Thoughts on these guys or others you want to add?

Last edited:

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.