ADVERTISEMENT

50 years ago today

outhereincali

May 30, 2015
Since its officially Friday 12/6/19 back home in TX I can make this thread. 50 years ago number 1 ranked TX played at number 2 ranked AR.

Little bit of a backstory here. In the summer of 1969 ABC decided to move the TX/AR game to 12/6 it made sense both schools had outstsnding teams that year and it was certain that they would be undefeated when they played. But that season tOSU led by their great coach Woody Hayes was ranked number 1 and destroyed everyone they played. But in their last game they suffered a shocking loss to their arch rival MI. With that upset TX was ranked number number 1 and AR was ranked number 2.

So there you are the nations top 2 teams playing on national tv. It was the last game of the season. And it was the centennial season of college fb. And then the game climbed to another level when the potus Richard Nixon decided to attend the game.

Then the game started. TX fumbled early and AR scored quickly. AR scored again in the 3rdq and it was 14/0 at the end of 3. At times TX wasn't even on the same field as AR. But on the 1st play of the 4thq James Street scrambled 42 yards for a td the horns went for 2 and it was 14/8. With about 5 min to go we had it 4th and long. And then on 4th and long James Street hit Randy Peschell for 43 yards. We scored 2 plays later, kicked the extra point and it was 15/14. We intercepted on their possession and it was over 15/14 Longhorns.

Then Nixon went to the TX locker room to congratulate Darrell Royal and his team saying they were the best team in the country. For one of the few times in my life I actually agreed with Richard Nixon. After that Notre Dame which had a 45 year self imposed ban on going to bowl games accepted an offer to go the Cotton Bowl to play TX. In an exciting game TX defeated ND 21/17 and Darrell Royal won his 2nd nc.

Looking back that was the year we had our first color tv and what an experience it was. All the tv shows I watched before were now so different. We rolled it into the living room so family and friends could watch the game. My father and my brothers all jumped up and down and hugged each other. I can still remember Street Peschell like it was yesterday. And there is a reason why James Street is one of only 6 players to have his jersey retried at the University of Texas. Great memories and it's a reminder to me of our history. I still believe that Coach Herman take us to the top.

TX 15
AR 14
National champs

Last edited:
Since its officially Friday 12/6/19 back home in TX I can make this thread. 50 years ago number 1 ranked TX played at number 2 ranked AR.

Little bit of a backstory here. In the summer of 1969 ABC decided to move the TX/AR game to 12/6 it made sense both schools had outstsnding teams that year and it was certain that they would be undefeated when they played. But that season tOSU led by their great coach Woody Hayes was ranked number 1 and destroyed everyone they played. But in their last game they suffered a shocking loss to their arch rival MI. With that upset TX was ranked number number 1 and AR was ranked number 2.

So there you are the nations top 2 teams playing on national tv. It was the last game of the season. And it was the centennial season of college fb. And then the game climbed to another level when the potus Richard Nixon decided to attend the game.

Then the game started. TX fumbled early and AR scored quickly. AR scored again in the 3rdq and it was 14/0 at the end of 3. At times TX wasn't even on the same field as AR. But on the 1st play of the 4thq James Street scrambled 42 yards for a td the horns went for 2 and it was 14/8. With about 5 min to go we had it 4th and long. And then on 4th and long James Street hit Randy Peschell for 43 yards. We scored 2 plays later, kicked the extra point and it was 15/14. We intercepted on their possession and it was over 15/14 Longhorns.

Then Nixon went to the TX locker room to congratulate Darrell Royal and his team saying they were the best team in the country. For one of the few times in my life I actually agreed with Richard Nixon. After that Notre Dame which had a 45 year self imposed ban on going to bowl games accepted an offer to go the Cotton Bowl to play TX. In an exciting game TX defeated ND 21/17 and Darrell Royal won his 2nd nc.

Looking back that was the year we had our first color tv and what an experience it was. All the tv shows I watched before were now so different. We rolled it into the living room so family and friends could watch the game. My father and my brothers all jumped up and down and hugged each other. I can still remember Street Peschell like it was yesterday. And there is a reason why James Street is one of only 6 players to have his jersey retried at the University of Texas. Great memories and it's a reminder to me of our history. I still believe that Coach Herman take us to the top.

TX 15
AR 14
National champs
Who made that game-clinching INT? Tom Campbell!

TX 15
AR 14
National champs

And CAHorn was the only women drummer in Longhorn Band...

TX 15
AR 14
National champs
You do realize by posting this you are egging @FlourBluffHorn to go on a tangent about the greatness of yesteryear don’t you?When coke was a $.05, girls of the night were $1.50 and DKR wouldn’t put up with this shitshow we see in college football these days. Wait for it...

Last edited:
Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
Nice post Cali.

On a side note, 78 years ago today, the Japs were fueling their aircraft.

Reactions: freeper
I was a sophomore. We didn't have a tv, nobody I knew had a tv, so we watched the game at a bar at 24th and Rio Grande. During the game winning drive, one of the drunks kept yelling "James Street is Jesus!" After the game the student body stopped traffic from 19th street to 34th. What a night. Also, the last all white #1 team.

You do realize by posting this you are egging @FlourBluffHorn to go on a tangent about the greatness of yesteryear don’t you?When coke was a $.05, girls of the night were $1.50 and DKR wouldn’t put up with this shitshow we see in college football these days. Wait for it...
No

Truth hurts Bell! And the snatch was a,Buck a throw..and DKR would not have put up with this lazy player shit...the 63 team would have tore this team now like a step-child...

Last edited:
Reactions: Belldozer1
I was a sophomore. We didn't have a tv, nobody I knew had a tv, so we watched the game at a bar at 24th and Rio Grande. During the game winning drive, one of the drunks kept yelling "James Street is Jesus!" After the game the student body stopped traffic from 19th street to 34th. What a night. Also, the last all white #1 team.[/QUOT

The most amazing thing - Freddie Steinmark played in the game, then 6 days later had his leg amputated. Then 20 days later he makes it to the Cotton Bowl sideline. Imagine - his leg in such bad shape and yet he was still able to play in the Game of the Century. Amazing.

ADVERTISEMENT