A Back Surgery Thread: Fusion v. Discectomy

CelticHorn

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2005
Dubai
There’s been some great threads over the years with valuable input, and I am hoping to get some insight, views, war stories…anything would help as I’m struggling to decide on next steps (more on this below).

Background - I’m 37 and had a laminectomy (L4/L5) in 2006, which provided huge relief from the leg pain (nerve). Other than the odd flare up, I was fine until late 2019 when the back and leg pain returned. MRI showed severe bulging discs at both L3/L4 and L4/L5 and, following some failed attempts at physio, I underwent a two level discectomy in April 2020.

In summary, two operations at L4/L5 (2006 and 2020), one at L3/L4 (2020).

I improved slightly in the months after the recent surgery, though the leg pain continued and I even tried a steroid injection in early 2021 (really as a ‘band-aid’ in prep for the arrival of our first son!). Things have generally continued downhill this year.

I had an MRI last week, and now see I have another huge bulge at L4/L5.

One neurosurgeon wants to try another discectomy (surgery #3 at this level!), and another neuro seen today recommends an L4/L5 fusion and doesn’t think another discectomy will last more than a year due to the degenerative nature of my L4 level, plus could be detrimental to any future surgeries. I should caveat that I live in Dubai and am more limited in terms of neurosurgeon choices (the above doctors are from Korea and the UK, respectively). Both come highly recommended by others who have had both surgery types with them.

I suppose my question is has anyone had multiple discectomies with any success, or is my fate already determined and I should go ahead with a fusion. Also interested to hear lumbar fusion stories incl. recovery experience.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and providing comments.

Reactions: PaulieD

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.