A few Monday morning notes...

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
My goodness, I don't know where to begin.

a. I suppose I'll start off with the fact that while the sentiment exists that Texas is playing things like it's a clown show being robbed at water gun point by another clown show, the feeling from those inside the Texas admin is that they are handling this situation with complete respect to Charlie Strong. Whatever the optics are at this very moment, the admin believes it is doing right by Strong to wait until after Friday to make an announcement on his firing.

b. A high-level Texas official confirmed to me within the last hour that conversations between Mike Perrin and Charlie Strong took place on Sunday. The words "multiple times" were used when I asked about whether a conversations had occurred and there was a sense from this person that the Texas admin reached out to Strong to gauge his thoughts on how this should unfold. The most important thing for everyone involved was to ensure that Strong would be able to coach his team on Friday with the least amount of distraction possible and this is the path that was chosen.

c. I was told yet again this morning that the discussion of Tom Herman is still in a holding pattern. There is not a universal consensus among high-ranking officials that Herman should be the next coach. There's also a sense that if the the Longhorns move in on Herman it will not occur until after the Strong business is taken care of, and that isn't expected to happen until after Friday's game (although that could change after Strong's 11 a.m. press conference if he announces he's out).

d. It's going to be a rough week with the players. It was rough for them on Saturday when they all started getting alerts on their phones about Strong being fired. It was rough for them when they lost on Saturday. It was rough yesterday. It's just rough. Don't be surprised if there is a public unified front from the players to fight for Strong all week.

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.