ADVERTISEMENT

A few more scrimmage/team notes on a Sunday

Suchomel

Staff
Aug 10, 2001
I was able to exchange a few texts with a variety of people today and naturally, Saturday's scrimmage worked its way into the conversation a bit. A few things I heard ...

- Daje Johnson had a great scrimmage, scoring two TDs. I believe both came on jet sweeps, one with Swoopes in the game, one with Heard.

- Marcus Johnson was good again, with a TD reception (believe it may have been called back on a hold though). Tyrone Swoopes had TD passes to Johnson and Dorian Leonard.

- D'Onta Foreman apparently had a very good day. Very good. As in about 10 yards every time he touched the rock and 3 TDs. Johnathan Gray saw very limited action and two people told me he suffered a very minor injury. He should be fine.

Overall, the run blocking from the OL has been better than the pass blocking, which is what it looked like to me as well from the practices media was able to attend.

"The offensive line in the passing game has work to do," one source said. 'The running blocking has improved greatly but the pass blocking has not really improved."

Another source praised the efforts of Foreman and Gray. Gray is the clear No. 1, he said, "but him and D'Onta are going to make one hell of a one-two punch."

- It sounds like after a fast start to camp, John Burt has come back to earth a bit now that the pads come on. That's not a complete surprise though. I've had college WR coaches tell me the biggest issue they have to teach young WRs is how to get off of press coverage or manipulate physical DBs. Burt may be getting a taste of that now that the team is in full pads.

One person told me there's a feel among players (and maybe even coaches) that the offense is more capable of making big plays when Texas has a more experienced group of WRs on the field at the same time - Daje Johnson, Marcus Johnson, Armanti Foreman. Burt will be fine, but it sounds like he's having to fight through a bit of a freshman wall.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News