ADVERTISEMENT

A few Notes - building a foundation of excellence starts with a change in expectations

El Mahico

there are no mistakes, only happy accidents
Gold Member
Jan 20, 2009
Just East of Bali
After a few conversations last night and today, i thought i'd throw some things down on paper to help me make sense of everything as it relates to Texas Football

let's jump right in (apologies for the spelling errors):

First off, there is a decision that UM has to make and either way it comes with grief. He absolutely wants to coach again. He absoluately wants the Texas job. But a huge hurdle is his family. He wife doesn't want him to work college football hours again. Simple as that. We're going to find out over the next few days if Urban Meyer can sell his wife on a compromise, which is taking the Texas job (and it's enormous contract) and builing a winner over the next few years and handing it off to his next protégé. That's where we're at. There's no way to place odds on something like that but im hearing good things. Silence is your friend right now if you want this to unfold to UT'S side

After that it gets cloudy. As i posted a few days ago no viable options are there for Texas at the college level or NFL level that move the needle like Meyer would. You're not going to be able to money whip an NFL head coach like you could a bigtime college coach. And the guys Texas are interested in (kyle shannahan, Matt Rhule, Sean Peyton and a few others ) so far have given no indication to Texas folks that they are interested or they have major buyout issues.

After that you're really talking about Joe Brady and all indications are that he's waiting for a possible head coaching offer in the NFL.

Yes, Dabo is a guy Texas will put feelers out to with the same kind of money (and his buyout is not significant) but it's believed he wouldn't leave Clemson for Texas and the kind of money Texas would have to offer would be more than Urban level money because Clemson would match an $11 million dollar offer. Worth watching but it looks like a long shot unless Texas gets crazy. But we're really talking about huge numbers here.

Matt Campbell continues to be a guy that is rising in the ranks of that second tier. Big 12 experience. 2x big 12 coach of the year. One thing about him is that Texas would certainly demand that he go after stronger staff hires. it doesn't want to make that same mistakes it made with Strong and Herman. That could be an very interesting marriage if he brought in elite recruiters. Word is hes interested.

mario cristobal right there with him but Matt Campbell is leading. Mullen is a name to follow as well here because a few Texas folks have him high. He's my dark horse to get the job if things fall apart with UM.

There are obviously other dark horse candidates out there but not worth mentioning right now.

The thing to take away from all this for me is that Texas, for the first time in it's history, is reaching for the stars and in doing so had it's leadeship (headed by our AD) unified in that effort and willing to spend bigtime money and raise the expectations on this program. Maybe they were forced into it but make no mistake about it CDC is the man we needed him to be.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News