ADVERTISEMENT

A few thoughts on Schloss to Texas...

DustinMcComas

You are what your fWAR says you are.
Gold Member
Apr 26, 2005
Wooten, Austin
A few things on Schloss heading to Texas, which I caught wind of a while back, but still can't fully comprehend. We just don't see head coaching moves like this. It's like Hulk Hogan dropping the leg on the Macho Man and joining the NWO.

- CDC's and Schloss' relationship is as good and strong as everyone says it is. The opportunity to work with a very close friend who he knew would support him in every way possible while also being at the forefront to navigate this new era of college athletics was simply too much to pass up. Oh. That and Schloss has always had eyes on the Texas job for a long, long time.

- I'm still in shock CDC was able to pull this off. When I used to cover basketball recruiting, I quickly learned hoops coaches used very few words to describe players. "He's a good player," they'd sometimes say, which means he was fine and recruitable, but nothing special. "He's got a chance," meant there was a lot of upside and could be special. "He's a killer," was reserved for the absolute best, cream-of-the-crop, no-doubt-about-it badass players who were different than their peers and often feared.

CDC is a killer. Make no mistake, when it comes to hiring coaches, he's the shark right now. The timing worked in his favor, too. I think the athletic director change at A&M gave CDC a chance to capitalize.

- You're about to see what the baseball program looks like on the recruiting and development side when it's maximized. Coaching staff. Support staff. Portal recruiting. High school and JUCO recruiting. Everything. My biggest gripe with Texas in recent years is its high school recruiting was beginning to lack and its portal recruiting was almost completely non-existent. Throw in the constant staff turnover leading to lack of player development in addition to recruiting issues, and you have a recipe for a program that plateaued and was beginning to trend down heading into a much tougher league.

College baseball is turning into an arms race now, and it's also turning into a sport like basketball where rosters are rebuilt each year with so much of the focus on contending that year instead of building a program for the future. If you can't successfully recruit the Transfer Portal, you're probably not going to sniff Omaha. And if you can't recruit and develop pitching, you're probably not going to Omaha, either. Texas was falling majorly behind in both areas. Not anymore.

- I've heard the whole staff from A&M is coming. If so, it becomes the best staff in the country. Texas A&M had the best coaching staff in college baseball last season and I don't think there was a close second besides Tennessee. Recruiting, development, in-game coaching... it was all elite. I've spent time around all these guys and seen them at work. They're the real deal.

- The stuff I've heard thrown around and rumored about potential player additions, etc. makes my head spin. I'm sure some of it will end up being true and some of it won't. But let's just say the Texas One Fund is going to be busy and there won't be a shortage of player interest. The names should start rolling in soon.

- Texas Baseball fans are in for a heck of a ride. The new league will be tougher and the roster needs major additions to be Omaha ready for next season. But Texas could not have made a better hire.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News