ADVERTISEMENT

A little Darrell Royal/Texas State cemetery trivia

Belldozer1

Aug 20, 2014
Now we all know Coach Royal is buried in the Texas State Cemetary and that his wife will be buried on his left side when she passes. I want to know from my Horn friends who they believe will be buried on his right side? It is not someone that I would have guessed if someone had asked me. I may consider posting less if someone gets this right, so there is incentive here.

Now we all know Coach Royal is buried in the Texas State Cemetary and that his wife will be buried on his left side when she passes. I want to know from my Horn friends who they believe will be buried on his right side? It is not someone that I would have guessed if someone had asked me. I may consider posting less if someone gets this right, so there is incentive here.
Is that person alive today?How do you know these facts?Is the person famous?

Is that person alive today?How do you know these facts?Is the person famous?
Yes the person is alive today. I know these facts from this person themselves and will post proof. Yes this person would be considered famous generally speaking. More famous in the 80's/90's than now.

Ok,A football Icon next to a music Icon and they were very good friends------My guess----- Willie Nelson
I was thinking the very same thing. Remembering how much Coach Royal enjoyed playing golf with Willie and how often he would play his music over the loudspeakers during football practice at Memorial Stadium.

No sir but that would have been a name I would have guessed as well. You are thinking along the correct lines however. This person is not an icon like Willie though.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikeined

When you say right side you do me on a different plot right?.

My guess is Bill Little.

Last edited:
No,this person is not football related but apparently this individual was pretty tight with Royal.

Or Tom Kite (I know they played at Austin Country Club. My previous Barry Switzer guess was sarcastic, so it doesn't count. ;)

Here is your answer straight from the horses mouth. Not the person I would have imagined.

EDIT: Oops I guess it won't let me post the video. The answer is Larry Gatlin. If you go to Gatlin Bros. page on the attached link and then go to videos on the left hand side of the page, you will see a video of Coach Royal's headstone and then Larry Gatlin talks about how Royal got him into treatment years ago and that he never dreamed that one day he'd be buried right beside him.https://www.facebook.com/GatlinBrothers/

Last edited:
Oops I guess it won't let me post the video. The answer is Larry Gatlin. If you go to Gatlin Bros. page on the attached link and then go to videos on the left hand side of the page, you will see a video of Coach Royal's headstone and then Larry Gatlin talks about how Royal got him into treatment years ago and that he never dreamed that one day he'd be buried right beside himhttps://www.facebook.com/GatlinBrothers/

Cool video, thanks for posting. "Give em three".

And we'll let you hang out here for a while. o_O

Larry and his brothers grew up in odessa and lived two blocks from my mom and her siblings. Larry graduated from odessa high in like 65 or 66, he was the same age as my uncle Tom, yet younger than my mom. My mom was the 4th out of 6 kids. Uncle Tom and Larry got in fight one day in highschool at baseball practice over a glove. Larry ate a ton of meals at my Nanny's house (my grandma) when he was a kid. My uncle Buddy, who was elected into the Longhorn hall of honor posthumously in october, married a lady named Sandy, who was the middle school choir teacher at either Sam Houston or Crockett.... can't recall, but she taught the majority of the gatlin boys in choir.
Larry let his success go to his head for a while and developed some bad habits along the way. I know he started attending church in Westlake years ago........... not sure of the church--- but that's where he started spending time with coach royal. He got his life turned around for the better though.
He was a "baintie rooster" according to my old man, when he was in school at odessa high..... but grew into a decent man.

^^^

small world.. dated Katie Bizzell (joe bob bizzell's cousin) who moved into the Gatlin's house.

Joe Bob was a three time All-State from Permian -- played a couple of years at UT

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT