ADVERTISEMENT

A show of hands please.....

Gundy is a solid coach. Doing about as well as you can at Ok state it would seem. Worked under Les Miles and had good coaches work under him. Doubt Texas gives that route.

Clob. I understand there is almost no shot at Peterson, and understand why. You don't know if you don't ask though is all I'm saying. Double his salary and if he says no ok.

If he were to say no I'd immedetly go to Malzahn

For the record, Dana Holgorsen today is far, far better than the one we first hired. He's matured. His record compares to Bobby Bowdens time at WVU .

Last edited:
For the record, Dana Holgorsen today is far, far better than the one we first hired. He's matured. His record compares to Bobby Bowdens time at WVU .
That is actually a good point. I think some fans think a coach needs to be undefeated for at least a decade before Texas can hire them. Not realistic.

I am not saying Texas should hire Holgerson by the way.

Ok,since we are throwing names round,Some big donors at this school want a better record,Gundy of OSU,in fact can and does recruit the State of Texas well taking players that Texas rejects and wins with them.He knows the teams of the big 12 well and a low learning curve.Oh,he would never leave OSU,money talks and I know I will have some rebuttal here but his teams are in a bowl game every year.
I wouldn't hire Gundy, I think his disconnect with T. Boone Pickens would be a red flag. At OSU, they have 1 big donor, at Texas there are probably at least a dozen. I don't like that fit.

I wouldn't hire Gundy, I think his disconnect with T. Boone Pickens would be a red flag. At OSU, they have 1 big donor, at Texas there are probably at least a dozen. I don't like that fit.
The donors at Texas may have a different opinion than T.boone Pickens.How do you know?"I think he has done a great job at some Indian mudhole called Stillwater.

I wouldn't not hire a guy just because he might not get along with Boone. First of all the fact that Boone hasn't had him removed tells you it must not be that bad and just because you don't get along with one person doesn't mean you'll not get along with everyone.

Quite honestly the reason Gundy and Boone don't get is probably because Gundy has become untouchable at OSU and Boone doesn't have the power he wants

He's 99-49 as HC
Bowl games in all but one year(his first)
4 double digit win seasons

He knows he could get another job if he wants. So isn't worried about Boone.

Last edited:
Keep in mind. When Boone made that large donation to OSU athletics it was put in the contract that he got say in the next football hire. He's 88 years old, gundy is preforming well. Unless Gundy leaves Boone is never going to get to put "his guy" in the coach chair. I wouldn't assume the lack of relationship between Boone and Gundy is all on Gundy.

Doesn't matter though Texas won't hire him. A top program should though. Think he would do a solid job. He'd be high on my list if I was LSU. The last guy you hired from OSU worked out well and he has more HC expierence than miles did.

Why would Texas not interview him and even hire,more HC experience than Herman by several years.Im not really sure he would want the Texas Job. Boone sounds like another Jerry Jones only 14 years older.

Why would Texas not interview him and even hire,more HC experience than Herman by several years.Im not really sure he would want the Texas Job.
Texas isn't likely to hire the head coach of a rival in conference school. Let alone an alum from one of those schools. It's probably petty but it's reality and true of most schools

I've maintained the only reason Tom Herrman is getting play is because he's doing this well in state. If Brian Harsin and Tom Herrman switched jobs Brian Harsin would be the guy Texas wanted. I could be wrong but thats how I read it.

Texas isn't likely to hire the head coach of a rival in conference school. Let alone an alum from one of those schools. It's probably petty but it's reality and true of most schools

I've maintained the only reason Tom Herrman is getting play is because he's doing this well in state. If Brian Harsin and Tom Herrman switched jobs Brian Harsin would be the guy Texas wanted. I could be wrong but thats how I read it.
Good point,David McWilliams,coached a year at Tech,Texas alum.DKR,an Ou QB,Akers-db at Arkansas so in those cases it did not seem to be an issue.

Dynamic a little different these days. Has their been a recent case of a school,poaching another school from a fellow conference school recently? I can't think of one. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened though.

Can we get a coach with a resume longer than 2-3 years of winning at a NON P5 school? I'd like a seasoned head coach this time please. I have no clue who that might be but I know TH isn't the guy.

Not necessarily. When Hardin coordinated the offense in 11 and '12, OU completed shut it down. Harsin had no idea how to get a first down. Remember all the three and outs. My point, I think some would say he's a pretty good coach so far but not a good fit here. Herman clearly out coached OU this year and won

Reactions: Belldozer1
Can we get a coach with a resume longer than 2-3 years of winning at a NON P5 school? I'd like a seasoned head coach this time please. I have no clue who that might be but I know TH isn't the guy.
I do think we should look at a couple other guys with longer experience too. I do like Herman though.

I've defended Charlie from day one........but after the KSU game I ran out of reasons to defend him. I do think it's time for a change. Like I heard someone say, they can tweet all day about loving him but it doesn't translate to playing like it on the field. I think his choices in asst coaches put him behind and now he is in a hole he can't dig out of. The team and fan base needs a shot of energy that only a new hire can bring. New hope. New direction. New focus on playing and not talking about playing.

Reactions: diadevic
Not necessarily. When Hardin coordinated the offense in 11 and '12, OU completed shut it down. Harsin had no idea how to get a first down. Remember all the three and outs. My point, I think some would say he's a pretty good coach so far but not a good fit here. Herman clearly out coached OU this year and won
Totally agree about Harsin

The fact that Brian Harsin has become a successful HC and manny Diaz is running a decent defense at Miami. Leads me to beleive there were bigger problems those years than the coordinators. We haven't had a QB since colt till now. Without a decent QB Bill Walsh would look bad as your OC

The fact that Brian Harsin has become a successful HC and manny Diaz is running a decent defense at Miami. Leads me to beleive there were bigger problems those years than the coordinators. We haven't had a QB since colt till now. Without a decent QB Bill Walsh would look bad as your OC
In 2012 Ash was pretty solid. Had good some good games, especially the ole miss game. Just terrible against OU.

We played horrible against OU those years. I don't know how much of that I put on Harsin because that was a common theme under Mack. That being said Harsin called some horrible games against OU, but overall I would say his time here as OC was a plus. I would be intrigued with a Harsin hire, I would like it better than I liked the Strong hire, but there is certainly risk.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT