ADVERTISEMENT

Another Guardianship of Special Needs 18-year old question....help!

csetherhorn

My thesis is simple…Your network is your power
Gold Member
Jan 22, 2008
FWTX
Not sure if it's JOY or SADNESS that I run to OB pretty much immediately when I have a question or rant....but this board is pretty much all I have

Previously I posted how my ex-wife and I are trying to get co-guardianship of our (now) 18-year-old son, William, who is on the autism spectrum. He turned 18 in November 2023 and I filed papers with the courthouse in Tarrant County (we live in Fort Worth) and then never heard until I had to rattle sabers earlier this year...and so they came and interviewed everyone and all seemed to be progressing...then more silence

Recently I called (AGAIN) and they said "you need to register here, you need to fill out there..." and why no one at Probate Court 2 in Tarrant County ever told us this before...whatever...so I did all those things and finally they said "you should probably get an attorney"

WHAT?!? - FINE...I contacted an attorney and they quoted me $5,000 to get past the finish line.

Ex-wife doesn't want to split and I don't have $5K to pay for this...SO...HELP...how do people who don't have $$$ laying around get guardianship of the person...and why is this so difficult?

If it truly is going to cost me $5K then...do I have any alternatives? How can we have legal access to his records and all that? He isn't capable of making his own decisions or taking care of himself and we are researching ICF (Intermediate Care Facilities) and he's been approved for SSI (supplemental income) and Medicaid - we have a trust established for him and all that...I just want to do the right thing

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News