ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody Like History?

FlourBluffHorn

Jan 5, 2007
Montana_Class_zpsgacfas7d.png

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/b...-battleship-heres-why-it-never-happened-28332

I look at History all the time but, this was 1st for me, suppose to be bigger the Mighty Moe which woulda big a big bastard! They say Bigger and faster than The Yamoto, but, sadly never got built the " Montana Class"

Hook'em

I enjoy history especially World War 2 history.

When I was a kid I thought I knew everything about it because I used to read textbooks even my mother's college books but I found out that there is so much history about World War 2 you can never learn it.

Especially from another country's POV.
Especially the Chinese and Russians.

Without China the US would have never gotten the Japanese out of the Pacific.
Luckily the Japanese were bogged down in China from 1933 to 1945 with US and British assistance.

Aircraft Carrier which ultimately ended that battleship's production is owed a debt of gratitude by many different nations.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/b...-battleship-heres-why-it-never-happened-28332

I look at History all the time but, this was 1st for me, suppose to be bigger the Mighty Moe which woulda big a big bastard! They say Bigger and faster than The Yamoto, but, sadly never got built the " Montana Class"

Hook'em

@FlourBluffHorn

Sorry I missed this thread earlier. I'm a professor of American and Modern European History out here in the land of dust and lust. So yeah, I kinda like history. I have a healthy interest in Maritime History. I haven't been around here since spring, my boy graduated from high school and the family went on a grand tour of Europe for 8 weeks. One of the highlights of that trip was the day my son and I spent at Portsmouth, touring the historic dockyards, the harbor and of course HMS Victory, Admiral Lord Nelson's flagship at the Battle of Trafalgar.

Thanks for the article on the Montanas. We simply didn't need them. The Iowa class was a match for the Yamatos as it was, especially given our preponderance of air power. It's good to be back!!

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
A tour of the Mighty Mo!

https://www.cnet.com/pictures/a-tou...tures/14/?ftag=ACQ0249d8e&vndid=hyperactivedr

https://www.cnet.com/news/tour-the-battleship-uss-missouri/

She's 887 feet long, displaces 45,000 tons. She's sailed all around the world and served her country for decades. She's the Mighty Mo, the USS Missouri, and her tale starts while the world was at war, and continues to this day as a piece of distinguished history.

Docked at Ford Island, in Pearl Harbor, you can tour the Missouri if you visit Hawaii. If a flight halfway across the Pacific isn't in your near future, check out this photo tour, featuring areas off-limits to normal tours.

The tour begins, oddly enough, not on Ford Island at all. There's a central visitor's center for the Missouri, the USS Bowfin submarine, the Pacific Aviation Museum (which I also toured), and the USS Arizona Memorial. I was given a hard "no" for a photo tour of the Arizona. (You need to book way in advance.) This was good, actually. Given the somber nature of the Memorial, taking lots of photos would have been out of place.

A bus takes you across the Admiral Clarey Bridge, and deposits you on the quay, amidships. There's a self-guided tour that takes you along the top few decks, including the bridge, Officer's Country, and more.

For those wanting to see more, there's the "Heart of the Missouri" tour. This is a small-group guided tour that takes you below decks, though an engine room, a boiler room, into one of the gun turrets, and more.

Being me, there for CNET, I got to see a few areas off limits to any tour.

Hook'em

Last edited:

Hook'em
Pretty cool man!! I had never heard of the Montana Class Battleships prior to reading your post. I'm gonna take a guess they weren't built with the carriers proving during WWII they made the Battleship pretty much useless??

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
I love history and find it very sad that young folk think it’s boring especillay because, presented properly, it’s about as interesting as it gets.
I was a history major (Oklahoma State 73) and my emphasis was Modern Europe. WWII and the period between the wars were just endlessly fascinating, filled with drama and huge personalities.

If only he'd have gotten into art school.....

I love history and find it very sad that young folk think it’s boring especillay because, presented properly, it’s about as interesting as it gets.
I was a history major (Oklahoma State 73) and my emphasis was Modern Europe. WWII and the period between the wars were just endlessly fascinating, filled with drama and huge personalities.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT