ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else think Ridgeway screwed up?

Day 1 and Day two and still on the board. Should have come back for his last year, he probably would have done a lot better as would Texas.

Nope, he's getting paid and reached his goal of getting to the NFL. Congrats to him. It's no guarantee that he would have stayed healthy, had he remained in school.

First, Im glad we had a player drafted and we were not shut out.Second,If he did not get drafted in round one or two then you have to question the decision to jump.If he would have waited then its a good chance he could have made the first two rounds and the longhorns could really use him next year.3rd.Im not aware of his personal or family life which can make a player go early.

Mr. Ridgeway was not a great fan of the current staff and I don't think that's talking out of school. Some say he would take plays off and some would say he just paced himself. Whatever the case, he probably made the best move for him and the team.

Congrats to him and best of luck in the NFL.

Hook'em!

I think it was the right move.

I agree with bubba, doubt he would have improved himself much next year.

I don't think there was a great chance of him improving

I think he would have looked better next year playing without the nagging back injury from the preseason car accident. He's still a guy that takes plays off, but the injury certainly didn't help with his effort or his conditioning. This draft was also very deep at DT. Even with the same level of play, he would have been drafted earlier next year.

It wasn't the economically optimal decision, weighing the upsides and risks of returning, but he's still getting paid very nicely.

As an aside, the staff was apparently not particularly torn up over his decision to leave early. Higdon said that his departure played a major role in the decisions of two of the DTs we landed (DCG was one; I think Elliott was the other). No doubt that we'd have benefited from having a senior Ridgeway back next year, but I'd rather have DCG and Elliott for three or four years than Ridgeway for one more.

I didn't mean it as he wouldn't improve, I just don't there was a great chance that he ups his draft stock considerably. I think the odds are that he would end up with a slightly improved position. I just don't seeing him ever becoming a 1st round guy. As for the staff not being torn up about it. They shouldn't ever be. You can't count on NFL caliber players forgoing the NFL for another year college. If this staff is building what we are all hoping, they better be prepared for guys a lot more important than Ridgeway leaving early.

As for the staff not being torn up about it. They shouldn't ever be. You can't count on NFL caliber players forgoing the NFL for another year college. If this staff is building what we are all hoping, they better be prepared for guys a lot more important than Ridgeway leaving early.

Not being torn up about it was meant to be taken as understatement.

Selfishly I wanted him back. Stumbled on this thread looking for a different one. Thought I'd give a fresh take.

The argument is always the same....giving up a yr of earning power to come back to school and gain the reward of being a higher pick and making more per yr in rookie contract vs the risk of getting hurt and/or having a worse yr and tumbling down to make less in rookie yr or not even getting drafted.

Bottom line, unless you are a lottery pick.....you make a lot more in your 2nd and 3rd contract. You could argue a mid round pick that makes less....gets a better shot to stick on a team longer and a better chance to get to their 2nd contract. There is data out there that agrees with this. Meanwhile top round picks get a better shot to start right away (and more $ right away....but also flame out faster as they aren't always ready to play right away even though their contract puts them on the field.)

And one could go off and argue time value of $ and how much he makes/invests this year could be more than he gains by moving up draft slightly next year.

Either way, best of luck to him. Think he landed in a spot on a team that can use him. Which helps his long term chances. But its up to him now, whether he puts in the work. Certainly has talent, certainly has areas to improve. Again, selfishly I would not have minded seeing him improve another year on campus. But I'm sure he has his reasons for moving on and best of luck. Hook em

I would love to have back the Ridgeway that ate OU up....but frankly, for most of the year you rarely heard his name.I dont think his opting for the draft will have a huge detrimental effect....too many plays he was a non factor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT