ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone Remember the 1984 SMU Game?

Dave C2

Gold Member
Aug 11, 2003
I joined a retro college football page on Facebook and about a week ago there was a post about the 1984 SMU team. I posted on that thread about the game in Austin that year, describing it from my memory as a slugfest that Texas won (had to look up the score, which was 13-7).

The reason I posted was to describe the sequence that occurred at some point in the second half when SMU had the ball first down inside the Texas 10. Their QB Don King threw 4 straight fade routes into the end zone. All 4 were incomplete, and I believe they were all thrown on our cornerback, James Lott. And then, as I remember the story going, after the last one someone on our defense got in King's ear and told him that he had just thrown 4 fade routes at the National High School high jump champion (which James Lott was). A few people responded to my post by saying they remembered that game.

Then there was a response from Albert Reese, who was a tight end for SMU back then. He told me that the receiver was Marquis Pleasant (I had forgotten who it was) and then he said that "he was interfered with three of the four times. Nothing like home cooking."

I remember the sequence of plays, but I don't recall if there was a big controversy about it afterward. Maybe there was and I've just forgotten, since I obviously haven't seen it since. Anyone have a recollection of this?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News