ADVERTISEMENT

Astros fans GITT! - Is this the last year with this squad?

curveball1

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2016
Houston
I was looking at minor league w/l percentages today compared to 2015 when we had a vaunted "best farm system in MLB", we're nowhere near that situation. We took a big penalty for the scandal, that is part of the problem, but we need to rejuvenate the minors with talent to succeed in my mind.

Am I delusional? Would love to hear OB's thoughts.

IMHO, keep Bregs, Altuve out of respect for what they've done for the organization, and Pena because of his arb status (perhaps) but sell everything else.

BTW, congrats on Parker's commitment.

I was looking at minor league w/l percentages today compared to 2015 when we had a vaunted "best farm system in MLB", we're nowhere near that situation. We took a big penalty for the scandal, that is part of the problem, but we need to rejuvenate the minors with talent to succeed in my mind.

Am I delusional? Would love to hear OB's thoughts.

IMHO, keep Bregs, Altuve out of respect for what they've done for the organization, and Pena because of his arb status (perhaps) but sell everything else.

BTW, congrats on Parker's commitment.

I think we are still going to be contenders for a while. And buyers at this deadline. Need middle relievers. We are only 4 back of the rangers and that’s even through all the injuries we’ve had.
Untouchable are Bregman, Altuve, Yordan and Tucker. Peña won’t be going anywhere soon either. He is locked up for a while.
Pitching staff is actually quite strong. Again, injury bug has hit two starters. McCullers hurt. Valdez is a stud, Hunter Brown is getting better , Javier holds his own.
Overall I think we will be in contention for the foreseeable future. Just plug some holes. We’ve lost a lot of games in late innings due to Pressely. Not a fan. Makes every outing stressful.
Concerning the farm, yes , the penalties did hurt, big time. The new GM is pretty smart though, got to replenish. Draft coming up.

Reactions: curveball1
I think we are still going to be contenders for a while. And buyers at this deadline. Need middle relievers. We are only 4 back of the rangers and that’s even through all the injuries we’ve had.
Untouchable are Bregman, Altuve, Yordan and Tucker. Peña won’t be going anywhere soon either. He is locked up for a while.
Pitching staff is actually quite strong. Again, injury bug has hit two starters. McCullers hurt. Valdez is a stud, Hunter Brown is getting better , Javier holds his own.
Overall I think we will be in contention for the foreseeable future. Just plug some holes. We’ve lost a lot of games in late innings due to Pressely. Not a fan. Makes every outing stressful.
Concerning the farm, yes , the penalties did hurt, big time. The new GM is pretty smart though, got to replenish. Draft coming up.
Those are all the reasons I'm saying for this the last season with this squad. Keep Altuve, Bregs and for few years Pena, but deal him while he is still cheap.

The slow decline has begun. Unless front office breaks out the Yankee dollars, you've only got a few more years of winning baseball.

Reactions: curveball1
Let’s be friendly here:

Astros=Longhorns
rangers=aggy

Little brother. 😉
Maybe so but the Rangers farm system is loaded at the moment and they are off to a great start this year. I think the tide is shifting a little bit in the division. We had a good run from 2010-2016 though and made it to consecutive World Series. The Aggies would never…

Baseball is baseball and every organization has its fans.

That said, I will ALWAYS have an unabiding hatred for the Rangers. This is not a rivalry issue. I simply can not forgive them for their part in forcing the Astros into the American League.Bud Selig is forever my enemy as well as Nolan Ryan for what they did. The Astros were in the National league before the Braves moved to Atlanta.

I will root for aggy before I ever root for the Rangers.

Baseball is baseball and every organization has its fans.

That said, I will ALWAYS have an unabiding hatred for the Rangers. This is not a rivalry issue. I simply can not forgive them for their part in forcing the Astros into the American League.Bud Selig is forever my enemy as well as Nolan Ryan for what they did. The Astros were in the National league before the Braves moved to Atlanta.

I will root for aggy before I ever root for the Rangers.
100% agree. Rangers were actually my second favorite team until the move. Selig can rot in he77. Ryan I can forgive, didn’t know he was involved in that.
I still catch myself thinking Stros are in the NL.
Unfortunately old enough to remember when they shared division with dodgers, reds, giants, etc. Only two divisions then.

Reactions: freeper
What’s the prognosis on the return of Yordan, Garcia, McCullers, and Brantley?

idk anything about the OLD history of the Rangers lol I live in Ft Worth...sooo i root root for the home team? lol

Maybe so but the Rangers farm system is loaded at the moment and they are off to a great start this year. I think the tide is shifting a little bit in the division. We had a good run from 2010-2016 though and made it to consecutive World Series. The Aggies would never…
I don't think they're there yet, 1 season away. They're good, the talent is there, management made the Chaplin decision so clearly they think they are there, but I still think they are a year early.

Ryan I can forgive, didn’t know he was involved in that.
Ryan was at that time the president of the Rangers or some other lofty post and he was the lead whinner saying the Rangers needed a Rival in state to helpwith all the west coast travel or some type crap.Seligs team( he is the owner of the Brewers after all) started as an American league team and he got them moved for the better money in the National league. It would have made more sense to move them back, but whiney assed Ryan made his case for the Astros. The Astros had been in the National league over 50 years.......longer than the Rangers or Brewers had been in existence!

Ryan was at that time the president of the Rangers or some other lofty post and he was the lead whinner saying the Rangers needed a Rival in state to helpwith all the west coast travel or some type crap.Seligs team( he is the owner of the Brewers after all) started as an American league team and he got them moved for the better money in the National league. It would have made more sense to move them back, but whiney assed Ryan made his case for the Astros. The Astros had been in the National league over 50 years.......longer than the Rangers or Brewers had been in existence!
Don't worry, the hate from us Rangers fans is mutual. That's why I think the move was great because rivalries are what makes the sport better.

The slow decline has begun. Unless front office breaks out the Yankee dollars, you've only got a few more years of winning baseball.
I'll take it.Stanks got all the money and still losing to the Astros. We really need pitching and these injuries aren't helping.

Hookem722....no, you missed the point. This is not a rivalry like Texas-OU.....this is about one franchise fu*king over another franchise by making them switch to the dog ass American league. It would be like aTm making us switch to the Pac12....I never had anything against The Rangers team. I used to root for them to win the AL or even the WS if the Astros were not in it....not anymore.

Reactions: Oldmanastro
Rangers still need another starting pitcher and they need a consistent DH bat. Until they get those its going to be a up and down season.

Hookem722....no, you missed the point. This is not a rivalry like Texas-OU.....this is about one franchise fu*king over another franchise by making them switch to the dog ass American league. It would be like aTm making us switch to the Pac12....I never had anything against The Rangers team. I used to root for them to win the AL or even the WS if the Astros were not in it....not anymore.
I just don't get the point. Seems like the hate should be directed towards Ryan considering he hasn't been with the organization in quite some time. Just seems to me you hate change. Kind of gives me stay off my lawn old man vibes lol.

Also let me guess, you still think pitchers should be hitting....

of course I hated the change. Astros had developed rivalries over FIFTY GODDAMNED YEARS!!! Then, poof!....because the Rangers needed a rival and the Astros were changing ownership and "had a gun to their head" it was decided they would have to switch....just like that! ......and you are correct about one thing....my hate IS directed at Ryan and Bud Selig. It simply was not right.

I dont give a rats ass about the pitchers hitting, but I surely liked the game better. The scores were lower, but the games were faster and more interesting. Strategy was used in those days, but that does not matter. In the end the games was going where it is today anyhow. The rivalries would have still been there though. All that is gone now because the Rangers needed a rival. Come to think of it, you are right about something else. Get off my damned lawn!

For the record: I do not think the DH ruined baseball, I think inter - league play did!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT