ADVERTISEMENT

Austin: After Prop B passes

houstonwolves

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2003
Nothing much will change.
On my walk home I passed a police cruiser with two officers and stopped to talk. I asked what was going to happen when Prop B passed. They said: "Nothing much."

DPS will clear the underpasses and state property. APD will clear 6th street and the Trail.

Some major points from the short talk:

1. A lot of the homeless are from somewhere other than Austin. Guy made a home in an abandoned house on lower Rainey. it is owned by a developer but has not been torn down. Cops arrested him and searched his pockets. He had a bus ticket from Michigan. So Austin is now the homeless dumping ground for ....... pretty much the middle part of America.
  2. The DA is no help. Cops arrested a homeless person and after booking he was released in 30 minutes.
  3. APD is understaffed. Their job will be to make the homeless move. but there is nowhere for them to go. As the officer said: "They just pick up and move 10 feet." It hassles them a little bit and wears us out but doesn't change anything." With 'defund the police' there is not enough manpower to clean up anything other than a few prime areas. Think 6th Street and the Trail.
  4. City of Austin bought several hotels. The homeless can stay for free. There is even catered food. Cop called it 'room service.' Most of the hotels have lots of capacity because ..... rules. And the vast majority of homeless want no rules.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News