ADVERTISEMENT

BEST CASE SCENERIO

horntony

Jan 7, 2012
Do we have the talent to win 10 games or more???/....just looking for your honest opinions.
Honestly....i think we do.

Do we have the talent to win 10 games or more???/....just looking for your honest opinions.
If things go well, then sure. That means Buechele proves to be a capable freshmen QB, our o-line continues to improve and our D-line has some upper classmen step up and some underclassmen come in and contribute early. It also means we consistently play well and don't have any games where we don't show up.

If we can do that there are at least 7 games we win in the regular season (UTEP, Cal, Iowa St., KState, Kansas, TT, WVU). Baylor is a big question mark in terms of how their season goes. TCU has some question marks too and we play both of them in Austin. ND, OK St, and OU will all be tough games but if we play well we could take 1 or 2 of them. Add in a bowl game and we could definitely win 10 games.

To add to my original post i think that this season will all come down to our first game. The difference between 6-7 wins or 10+ wins is do we beat Notre Dame. Lose that first game n our guys will be crushed n filled with doubt but WIN that first game against a ranked opponent non the less n our guys will be filled with confidence n get back some of that swagger we once had. I love our offensive potential.....2 possible 1000 yard backs n 4 receivers with sub 11 second speed (in the 100 yd dash) that can really stretch the field. Just boils down to is Buechele the next Vince/Colt or the next Garrett?

Do we have the talent to win?...oh yeah...we do. The question is ,,,,do we have the experience to win 10?...frankly, much as it pains me, we dont...If we win 8 games, thats good. If we win 9 games thats fabulous and our recruiting will sky rocket. If we win 10 games our coaches will have to quit answering recruits phones as they will be deluging the place.

Yes we have potential.....but remember what St Darrel said ......"potential means they aint done it yet"

Oh yeah definitely they have the talent to win 10 but as oldhorn says, the experience factor isnt in their favor. Theyre just as likely to go 10-2 as they are to go 6-6.

Reactions: oldhorn2
I would tap the brakes on 10 wins for this year. We definitely have the talent to win 10 or more -- in 2017. It could happen in 2016 with a great deal of luck going our way, but it's not a reasonable expectation with the team's youth.

For now, as everyone knows, most of the top talent in the program is concentrated in the freshman (true and RS) and true sophomore classes. We have the second-fewest senior starters of any P5 team. Looking through a likely two-deep, contributing juniors and seniors are in short supply. We'll have true freshmen starting at the two positions that touch the ball on every offensive play. One WR will be a true freshman, and another starting OL likely will be as well. True freshmen may emerge as starters over the course of the season at DT, DE, LB, and S. True sophomores will be all over the starting lineup and two-deep as well.

This is not generally a recipe for double-digit wins. Younger players tend to make more mistakes than more experienced players. We're in the position where talent difference between the younger and older players is very often great enough that it's nonetheless worth playing the more mistake-prone younger players -- but this is not an enviable position by any means.

Assuming we don't get Buechele murdered, 2017 is a very different story.

Hornytony, UT and OU recruit well enough to out athlete their way to 8 wins. Your problem has been coaching. Charlie hired his 3rd OC in as many years but didn't make a change to a defense that finished 107th in the nation. Now will the new OC be enough to get Strong over the .500 and to 8+ wins this year? We'll see. A lot of fans speculate anything less than 8 wins will severely Impact Strong's tenure at Texas. I do not think Texas wins 10 games, no.

Hornytony, UT and OU recruit well enough to out athlete their way to 8 wins. Your problem has been coaching. Charlie hired his 3rd OC in as many years but didn't make a change to a defense that finished 107th in the nation. Now will the new OC be enough to get Strong over the .500 and to 8+ wins this year? We'll see. A lot of fans speculate anything less than 8 wins will severely Impact Strong's tenure at Texas. I do not think Texas wins 10 games, no.

That is misleading.. the defense was like that due to how much theywere on the filed and the short fields they were given due to an inept offense. To think the defense was as bad as you are is asinine. Our defense looked great in almost eery game until the offenses no shows just ran the D out of gas.... feel free to go back and look.

Plus the talent here SHOWED they can step up and smash anyone.... as evidenced by controlling ou the whole game last year.... it is just a matter of getting them to be consistent. The offense gets solid then the d will be able to full shine bc they wont be gassed by halftime. Still thinking Texas is going to shock a lot of ppl - starting with the domer nation..... but dont worry we will keep a little something in reserve to break off for ou when we get there.... ;)

Reactions: oldhorn2
This year? No. Next year? Yes.

We could be starting 9 underclassmen on the offense this year.

This year? No. Next year? Yes.

We could be starting 9 underclassmen on the offense this year.

This is why I really hope TPTB don't get trigger happy on firing Charlie even with another sub-par year. Heck, I really don't want to see another 6-7 year but even in that case I would give CS another year.

CS has built a really strong roster of underclassmen, I really want him to have the chance to coach a team that has experienced contributors. Now, if he can't produce in 2017 it would be time to move on.

Reactions: HornosaurusRex
We have the talent. Michigan had the talent. It's getting that talent to the right spot on the field at the precise moment in order to utilize it at its full capacity that matters....

That is misleading.. the defense was like that due to how much theywere on the filed and the short fields they were given due to an inept offense. To think the defense was as bad as you are is asinine. Our defense looked great in almost eery game until the offenses no shows just ran the D out of gas.... feel free to go back and look.

Plus the talent here SHOWED they can step up and smash anyone.... as evidenced by controlling ou the whole game last year.... it is just a matter of getting them to be consistent. The offense gets solid then the d will be able to full shine bc they wont be gassed by halftime. Still thinking Texas is going to shock a lot of ppl - starting with the domer nation..... but dont worry we will keep a little something in reserve to break off for ou when we get there.... ;)
LS I can certainly understand your hope and optimism but finishing 107th in D is finishing 107th in D, and no amount of lipstick can make that look pretty. The good news is, theoretically, you should feel optimistic because it can really only improve from that ranking. From what I have heard and read, the 3rd time better be the charm for Strong or its gonna get ugly quick and rightfully so. I don't know of any other major university paying their coach 5 mil plus and having 2 losing seasons and 3 OC's and a 107th ranked D to show for it. Mack proved beating OU part of the time wasn't enough and he was head and shoulders a better recruiter than Strong. I liked what I saw of Buechele in the spring game so if he can hold up Texas may have a reason to feel optimistic. Beating ND is imperative for your players and Strong's psyche. I believe Strong feels a tremendous amount of pressure to win and an early loss or blowout may send him into bad decision making mode. This is just my opinion.

LS I can certainly understand your hope and optimism but finishing 107th in D is finishing 107th in D, and no amount of lipstick can make that look pretty. The good news is, theoretically, you should feel optimistic because it can really only improve from that ranking. From what I have heard and read, the 3rd time better be the charm for Strong or its gonna get ugly quick and rightfully so. I don't know of any other major university paying their coach 5 mil plus and having 2 losing seasons and 3 OC's and a 107th ranked D to show for it. Mack proved beating OU part of the time wasn't enough and he was head and shoulders a better recruiter than Strong. I liked what I saw of Buechele in the spring game so if he can hold up Texas may have a reason to feel optimistic. Beating ND is imperative for your players and Strong's psyche. I believe Strong feels a tremendous amount of pressure to win and an early loss or blowout may send him into bad decision making mode. This is just my opinion.

Mack went to sleep on recruiting around 2007 or early. In the last 6 drafts there has been one offensive player that Mack recruited out of HS drafted, Marquis Goodwin. And one JuCo that Harsin recruited Swaim. All other draft pick were defenders that Muschamp brought in. 2006 is the last time an OL from Texas was drafted.

Heck even Mack's former GA and top defender, Bobby Burton at 247, has come around to Mack did indeed leave an empty cupboard and Strong's recruiting is lights out and in two classes has addressed nearly every hole on the roster.

Last edited:
Bell....to say Mack was head and shoulders a better recruiter than Strong is not only wrong, it is rediculous....total fail!

Tell me that Mack was a better coach and I have no problem to this point agreeing

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
Let me back up the truck about saying Mack I would agree Mack was a better coach...What I should have said that I couldnt argue that point. We will find out this year if that is true or not.

OK Bell... Im gonna try to do this civil with you for once.. lol. I see what you are saying, ut what you are saying is being formed without full consideration of many different things.

- Is the defense carrying that ranking if the offense actually is even mediocre instead of terrible? There were lots of 3 and outs from the offense that threw the defense right back on the field after already being out there for however long they were. There wasnt a lot of time to rest and recoup for the defense, so many times they were going right back out still trying to get over being gassed.

- Texas defense finished the year ranked #5 in sacks...... #5 out of 100+ teams.... that in itslef speaks volumes........ and tells a more accurate story of a solid D that just got ran into the ground bc the offense never wanted to play..... but everybody gets tired and wears out...

- Texas defense was in the top 50 in INT's last year #42 actually... quite a few teams tied through out the list... but still..... again.... showing the D was solid but more than likely got gassed in games due to time spent on the field... which would also explain yadage allowed....

- Texas was #11 in fumbles recovered..... which probably means they caused quite a few as well.... the NCAA site doesnt have a tracker for that stat line.... but common sense demands we make the connection on our own.

Basically, your stat line is misleading and doesnt take in to consideration any factors that influenced that rank to be wors than it really was on the field and in the games.....Now honestly, even you can admit you see what I am saying and that it is valid.....

For those that believe in adjusted stats Texas was the #30 defense last year.http://www.adjustedstats.com/ratings-stats/cfbdeftotaladj.php
I think I ran the numbers at one point and we had a top 25 defense in the first half.

Unfortunately there are two halves.

Also, in an odd twist, you don't just play defense in football. There are two sides of the ball as well. And if you're offense can't stay on the field, obviously this has an effect of attrition on your D.

I will say it again------ we have the TALENT to win 10 games..........

Reactions: TX1972
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT