ADVERTISEMENT

Best coached team in at least a decade.

grumpy horn

Get ER done
Gold Member
Jan 20, 2013
One game sample but my biggest takeaway is this team is very well coached and prepared. More so than any Texas team in the last decade. About mid-way through the 3rd quarter the game somehow became more of a scrimmage than a game. At least in terms of how sarkisian was managing it. He let off the gas as he didn’t have to reveal certain aspects of his offense and defense keeping such out of the eyes of future opponents. Compare and contrast this to Herman playing Maryland x2.

There was one play in the 2nd qtr that was particularly telling. Card‘s back to throw. Rush coming from his left and he feeds a safety valve to his left. And gets positive yardage. Perhaps it was “just“ a good play. What I saw was a RS freshman QB that had drilled this many a time and was able to instantly diagnose and rocket the ball to his outlet pass…. instinctively. beautiful. Showed that Card had done the homework in self study, he understood the offense, he had been drilled to the point that he could do it automatically without thinking and throwing with incredible confidence and speed, And in a key number of plays I saw a talented QB step up in the pocket like a pro veteran, clearly because that was the way he was trained.

I’m also impressed by the way the team so deftly handled the first onside kick. “Out of the blue” Oolala onside kicks it and the Horns handles it (times 2) like no biggee. Just like they have been drilled to do. And every dang inexperienced but talented receiver ran their routes and made plays with confidence when it was their time. And those no-name linebackers delivered. Wow. Sure, there is room for improvement but I am reassured knowing that most teams show the most improvement between the first game and the second.

Here piggy piggy…..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News