ADVERTISEMENT

Big XII votes for conference title game

Scholz

Jul 22, 2005
Starting in 2017. 2 5-team divisions. 8 or 9 conference games TBD. All cross divisional games will be played at the beginning of conference play, so there will be a minimum of 6 weeks between rematch.

But "all games matter"? I'm officially over this conference. Too stupid for words. The "one true champion" faceplant and now this? Gah. Effing retarded. Round robin. How does it work?

Even if you create two five-team divisions, it's still going to be a round robin with a playoff game pitting two teams that played each other during the regular season. BORING. The B12 CCG would be an embarrassment compared to the other conference championship games and the B12 would be lucky to get a 10 a.m. kickoff. Add two teams to the conference and make it a real playoff game or just forget about a B12 CCG altogether.

Even in a 12 team league, there is a very real possibility of a rematch, though it wouldn't happen nearly as often. I don't think it happened more than once or twice in 14 or however many seasons we had 12 teams. Still it can and does happen occasionally, It's happened four years in a row in the PAC 12. Last year with a rematch of Stanford and usc and the year before with Oregon/Arizona, and Stanford/Az state in 2013, Stanford/UCLA in 2012. Nobody has really been making a big deal of it with them.

Does anyone really think a BU/TCU rematch 2 years ago would've gotten either in? And for last year - OU would merely be setting itself up for failure by playing a rematch with OSU/TCU/BU or however this would work. This is high risk, low reward. Next announcement I expect from Bowlsby is that the game will be played in Kansas City.

Even in a 12 team league, there is a very real possibility of a rematch, though it wouldn't happen nearly as often. I don't think it happened more than once or twice in 14 or however many seasons we had 12 teams. Still it can and does happen occasionally, It's happened four years in a row in the PAC 12. Last year with a rematch of Stanford and usc and the year before with Oregon/Arizona, and Stanford/Az state in 2013, Stanford/UCLA in 2012. Nobody has really been making a big deal of it with them.

It has to have happened more than twice in the Big 12... I know for sure Texas was in 2 of them that were remaches from the regular season.. once with Nebraska and once with Colorado.... thinking there are more than that.....

Starting in 2017. 2 5-team divisions. 8 or 9 conference games TBD. All cross divisional games will be played at the beginning of conference play, so there will be a minimum of 6 weeks between rematch.

But "all games matter"? I'm officially over this conference. Too stupid for words. The "one true champion" faceplant and now this? Gah. Effing retarded. Round robin. How does it work?

Stupid B12. Stupid.

It should be called The Dr. Pepper Big 12 Rematch Game. "This time... it counts." Because it 100% will be exactly that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scholz and diadevic
Texas needs to bolt. This conference is going to be even more laughable when you add Cincy, Memphis, BYU, UCF, Houston, or whoever else is being discussed. That is just Conference USA or the Mountain West. If Texas has to give up the Longhorn Network to make a conference network, I think Texas would lose money wouldn't they? They aren't going to be down for that either. It's time to blow this thing up. It's hurting you more than helping you.

This is just stupid. Play a round robin and then have the two top teams play in the championship. We are going to get left out some years based on 5 conferences for 4 slots. FSU was clearly the weakest team 4 years ago but there is no way a group of humans are going to leave out the undefeated national champions. Last year we got in a 1 loss conference champion without a championship game.

How do they divide this up? Maybe just like 3rd grade dodge ball, with Texas and Oklahoma as captains.

Personally I like it the Big XII needs to level the playing field to enhance their chances of making the playoffs. It could end up being the best thing to announce a title game before adding new teams because it might take more time to expand.

I can get behind Memphis and Cincinnati to the Big XII. Hey they are cities which is a lot more than you can say about the other towns in the Big XII north. And UC from what I've learned in the last year is an underrated institution when it comes to academics. I don't know much about Memphis but hey Memphis can be a fun town to hang out for a weekend. Right now I can't think of anyone else to add. Bring em in and lets face it the Big XII isn't going to break up anytime soon.

Last edited:
Consolidation may happen sooner than we think. NO WAY smaller schools that do not have a T-shirt fanbase will be becoming a part of the Big 12. How would we fairly share revenue when Texas pulls most of it? I know the GOR is holding everything in place at the moment but a poor econ and declining ad revenue are going to push out the schools that are unable to pull an audience. It has started slowly and then will happen all at once. Americans have less and less disposable income, at least the larger part of these viewing audiences. This may even effect the weaker teams in the SEC, B1G, and Pac. What TV wants, TV gets.

It's no given that this will help a Big 12 team make the CFP, and it very well could hurt on average. It's amazing to me that the public at large is so scientifically and mathematically illiterate as to think that an analytics firm's statistical model on this question is by its very nature some sort of distillation of objective truth.

There's essentially no data to draw on (only two years of the CFP), and even if there were many more years, any model's results would still rely very heavily on the underlying assumptions the modeler makes. As it stands now, the assumptions are virtually everything. Here, the firm's premises basically assume the truth of its conclusion: for their model to show that adding a championship game improves the conference's chances of landing a team in the playoff, given the paucity of actual data, this firm had to assume from the outset that the CFP committee was far more likely to favor teams from conferences with CCGs than ones from conferences without. So the Big 12 basically paid gobs of cash to an analytics firm to engage in circular reasoning and produce correspondingly useless conclusions.

Here's a quick rundown on the stupidity of all of this: http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2016/5/17/11683756/big-12-expansion-championship-game-playoff-odds

The only thing our rematch-game CCG is guaranteed to do is provide a nice payday for the conference. (Of course, for the members most likely to make the playoffs, one loss that knocks a given team out of the CFP will probably end up reducing that program's revenue generation by an amount that offsets years of CCG payouts.)

It has to have happened more than twice in the Big 12... I know for sure Texas was in 2 of them that were remaches from the regular season.. once with Nebraska and once with Colorado.... thinking there are more than that.....

As usual, the Okie who can't even spell his own goddamned name correctly doesn't know what he's talking about. It happened six times in the Big 12 CCG.

Reactions: LonghornSoldier
Cool..enjoy the road games to Memphis, Uconn, BYU, and UCF. I'm sure it's good to be a big dog in the midst of chihuahuas. Getting weaker and weaker. Truth still hurts you. What a conference. Hey, I guess when you play like you do you need some teams on your level.

If all teams are playing anyway, the only reason to split into divisions would be title game ($). Why not put all the decent teams in one division, to take the risk out playing a title game. Since they all play anyway.

South - texas, oklahoma, tech, baylor, tcu

North - kansas, ksu, wv, Iowa st, osu

South wins the game 9 out of 10, and you still get the extra game & $.

As stupid as this seems, it could be made ultra low risk, by rigging the game to be a joke.

Reactions: Belldozer1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT