Cancer related - long, but from the heart

alrein

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Hockley, Texas
Greeting fellow OBers.

Cancer related -

I have been a relatively quiet member for as long as I can remember. I enjoy OB and appreciate the hours of entertainment I have received over the years.

It is a good community of good people – and a few jerks, but I like them as well.

I have been hesitant to write this, but I have finally decided that maybe I can help others by putting this on paper.

First let me stress that I do not want sympathy. I am one of the most fortunate men I know. I would not trade my life for anyone else’s.

Family, friends, travel, business successes, and much more – far more than I probably deserve. I have even seen a few UT National Championships.

But – to the point.

Two months ago, I was diagnosed with metastatic prostate cancer. It is in my lymph system and in my bones.

My doctor refers to it as unkillable. We can’t kill this puppy off – we can only try to slow it and contain it.

The internet uses the term “terminal”.

I prefer the term “survivable”. I have every intention of kicking this in the mouth and living another couple of decades!

I am not asking for prayers (although I would never turn down a prayer).

I am married to an incredible woman (over 50 years now – met in High School – married at UT) who is almost a nun. She studied with the Sisters of Charity (Mother Teresa’s order of Nuns) for over two years and for the last five years she has taken vows each year to live by their belief – to take care of the poorest of the poor. A vow she takes extremely seriously, and she works with the NUNs to do just that. From feeding the homeless living under the freeway in downtown Houston to traveling to Guatemala to make eyeglasses for the Maya.

I do what I can to help in her efforts. Mostly, I own and run a couple of small companies, which allows me to still make a good living at 72. And she gives our money away almost as fast as I can earn it. (with my blessings)

Fortunately for me her vows take into account that she is married!

She takes incredible care of me - far more than I can ask. I know that I will never have to face the future alone.

She and her group pray for me daily. Several Nuns pray for me daily. At least two priests pray for me. A host of family and friends pray for me. I am solidly covered with prayer after prayer.

What I would ask of each of you is to relish every day. To hold your family close. To value your friends and respect your foes.

AND HERE IS THE POINT OF ME WRITING THIS ***********

If you know anyone who may be going through something like this ALONE – reach out to them.
Don’t let them be alone.

I am good. Better than good. But I could not do this ALONE! Fortunately - I will never have to.

If I can help anyone else, please let me know.

My Oncologist is starting a Cancer support Group in Tomball. The first meeting is Oct 17th. She has asked me to come to help others.

This is my fourth time around with cancer (My wife and I cared for my mother for several years while bone cancer painfully took her life – I have carried a relatively non-aggressive form of Leukemia for almost ten years – & I beat prostate cancer two years ago with radiation). She thinks that with my experiences and positive attitude that I have a lot to offer other cancer patients – I am not sure of this, but we will see.

I think of myself as “one tough mother” and I will beat this and be around to see at least three or four more UT National championships!

God Bless each of you. Thank you for being my friends, even though we never met in person.

Alan L. Rein

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.