Craig Way & Al McCoy - Voice of the Phoenix Suns

azhorns

All gas, no beans
Gold Member
Jun 4, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
On Saturday, Al McCoy passed away in Phoenix. Growing up a Suns fan in Phoenix, his voice was the first I remember to introduce me to sports. The Suns used to simulcast the games, so it was the same TV/radio voice across the board.

Al passed away at the age of 91. He retired after the 2022-23 season, his 51st as the Voice of the Suns, and the longest in NBA radio history. This has hit the people of AZ hard who grew up with him. Until 1988, the Suns were the only professional team in town (and some will argue the Cardinals were barely a professional team until, with the DBacks arriving in 1998).

How does this apply to Craig Way?

Suns fans were incredibly lucky to have Al. He became our voice as fans, providing a comfort as we listened/watched him call a game. Even when the Suns were on national TV, the tv was on mute while I listened to Al.

Longhorn fans, I feel, are just as lucky to have Craig.

When I came to Texas in 1998, he was the analyst, then became the lead in O believe 2002. Even though I have been back in AZ for 2 decades, I still listen to Craig call the game and mute the TV.

He will be the voice of multiple generations of new Longhorn fans. Not a player or person attending Texas today born after 2002 (almost everyone) has ever heard a different “Voice of the Horns.”

With the passing of Al, and listening to Craig do play-by-play on Saturday, I just wanted to put out there how lucky we are.

RIP Al, and here’s to many more years of Craig!

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.